Windows Vista support ends in a month:11 April 2017

Options

Comments

• Jivesinger
    Jivesinger Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kim_13 wrote: »
    Thanks for the link; would I be able to install it on my new Windows 10 laptop? It has 4x the RAM of the Dell so it's my best option for video editing.
    To answer that bit - yes that link should allow you to install Movie Maker on Windows 10. I'd untick the options to install the other components of Windows Essentials though (unless you have a particular need for one). It isn't supported by Microsoft any more but I think it should still work.

I'd download the installer from the link and make sure you keep copies safe somewhere, in case Microsoft remove it at some point.
  • toshi
    toshi Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 April 2017 at 1:30AM
    Options
    I am working as an IT professional and very concerned about software planned obsolescence. Thank you very much for taking this Vista issue.

Quick hardware improvement history.

CPU changed from single core to multi core (2005- 2007)
    Hard disk interfance changed from IDE/PATA to SATA (2006-2008)
    SSD revolution (started at 2008-9 but practically stable after 2013?)

The most of VISTA hardware uses dualcore muiticore CPU and SATA interface, they are modern powerful computers. In fact, some computers are sold both VISTA preinstalled and Windows7 preinstalled.

There is no reason to dump Windows Vista hardware in terms of hardware performance.

I have been working as a volunteer at a skill-share community workshop in London. I have managed to convert more than a couple of VISTA hardware to extend their life for another 3-5 years.

Cost effective solution for VISTA hardware life extension (3 to 5 years)

1) Replace a slow hard disk with a super-fast SSD

2) Install LinuxMint Mate 18 (support until 4.2021)
    https://linuxmint.com/download.php

You can keep your Windows Vista with dualboot setup You can select Windows Vista/LinuxMint when the computer starts. (I cannot recommand Vista for a long term use, so I would expect you will move to LinuxMint gradually. but it would take some time to be familiar with any kind of new user interface)

Even I have offered a money back guarantee against my SSD solution- well this is a free of charge community event, simply I would refund the cost of SSD price. (Once I have given a refund to one lady, who asked me to buy a second hand windows7, instead of installing a SSD to her powerful Vista hardware.) All of other users are so impressed with SSD/LinuxMint solution. They agree that SSD/LinuxMint are faster and reliable than newer Windows 10 hard disk computers.

Please note I have no intention to play with OS sectarian wars. I would like to offer the very serious and practical solutions for Windows Vista users. If you have a copy of windows7/10 license, you can try to install Windows. If you want to spend long time for searching drivers by yourself. (I am tired with doing this kind of things for older hardware, LinuxMint installation will be completed in 20min with SSDs)

This is the serious cost saving environmentally friendly solution.

Remarks: Marketing manipulation OS confusion, Application is the KING

Partially because of media marketing manipulation, naive users think OS (Operation system) is their computing itself.

Just ask yourself, it is OK for you to use Firefox, Chrome, LibreOffice, VLC Player ? Then you are happy to use both Windows (Mac) and Linux environments.

If you really want to familiarise with Linux, install multi platform applications as above to your Windows computers. Then you will find you are happy as long as you can use your application comfortably regardless of which OS they are using.

I am using both Windows 7 and LinuxMint, I need a Windows because I have to use Windows only applications such as Accounting software and Database packages for my business. But as far as I know, the majority of home users don't use Windows only application, especially now they use more cloud internet based applications. (Please note Windows 7 will be supported until 1. 2020)

I am amazed how people are so manipulated, less technical people simply want to use clean LinuxMint interface, as they interface is so Windows user friendly. By contract, more technical people are so struggling to coop with their new ever-changing Windows interface.

80 years Old couple are happy to use SSD/Linuxmint, I was told "I just need to click a firefox icon, this is the same!" I have convinced the majority of people just want to use their computer comfortably.

Happy computing!

P.S. I have been helping to install a SSD onsite with anybody who want to keep using existing computers at regular community skill-share events.This is a free skill-share workshop event. If anybody interest, please mail me directly. We are also looking for volunteers who want to make existing computer more comfortable. We have got a now secret weapon (?) SSD! just get a SSD, make yourself happy.
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've been getting the alerts about support for Vista OS coming to an end but wasn't sure of the date.
    It came with a Dell laptop which although the screen is hanging off I'm loath to get rid of as it's handy for me having a built-in drive.
    Thanks for the info NiftyDigits, will check it out...
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    Mee wrote: »
    I've been getting the alerts about support for Vista OS coming to an end but wasn't sure of the date.
    It came with a Dell laptop which although the screen is hanging off I'm loath to get rid of as it's handy for me having a built-in drive.
    Thanks for the info NiftyDigits, will check it out...

Yours will need a different solution. What's the Service Tag on it?
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    Old PC is a Dell Studio Hybrid. It's the only thing that will run Creata Card Gold 3, so now that I've got a new laptop for day to day use I'll probably leave Vista on it.

Thanks for the link; would I be able to install it on my new Windows 10 laptop? It has 4x the RAM of the Dell so it's my best option for video editing.

Neglected to add that you'll be able to install both Windows XP and Windows 7 64 bit on the same machine, in order to deal with the Creata Gold 3 issue.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Jivesinger wrote: »
    To answer that bit - yes that link should allow you to install Movie Maker on Windows 10. I'd untick the options to install the other components of Windows Essentials though (unless you have a particular need for one). It isn't supported by Microsoft any more but I think it should still work.

I'd download the installer from the link and make sure you keep copies safe somewhere, in case Microsoft remove it at some point.

Thanks.

Have downloaded it and left the file in my downloads folder. Will also store it on an External HD and burn it to a disc.

It has installed fine.
  • Jivesinger
    Jivesinger Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks.

Have downloaded it and left the file in my downloads folder. Will also store it on an External HD and burn it to a disc.

It has installed fine.
    This is good, because the Microsoft web page I knew of, which originally had the link, has now had the link removed.

I think NiftyDigits' link above still works but it is probably only a matter of time before that gets disabled too.
  • gazter
    gazter Posts: 931 Forumite
    Options
    John_Gray wrote: »
    A lot of the problems with Vista were because the specifications which Microsoft stated for PCs using Vista were not high enough. More powerful PCs did not have so many problems.

Shudder. Vista basic with 512mb of ram ( then take off video ram). A travesty.
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Options
    Makes no sense to keep Vista on it unless you are going to throw it away. It costs nothing to upgrade to Windows 7.

I have a Dell Optiflex 360 with Vista business on it (4GB ram); runs very well. Is there a free upgrade path to Windows 7? All I've seen are loads of chargeable options on ebay from say £4.99 to over £100 ! No idea what they are all about or which one I'd need to get, if any, to a) work, b) be free of viruses, and c) be legal.

I bought the machine secondhand with Vista Business already installed; I don't have any disks or paperwork and the Windows licence sticker is barely readable but I could have a guess at the numbers if that matters.
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Wondering the same for my Dell Inspiron 1525...
    Free thinker.:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport