PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Sale Fallen Through :-(

I just want to rant to anyone that will listen.

Woman decided that downsizing isn't for her.... Wish she had said that before we had made an offer on a property we liked, paid for the survey to be done and got all the contracts drawn up after pressuring us all for a completion date!

Grrrrr. Is it completely normal to feel like staying put now and sack of this whole house buying and selling malarkay now.

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Its frustrating but you will find another buyer if that's what you want
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Appreciate you're having a rant, but you do realise that you're ranting about someone changing their mind and not moving by proposing to do exactly the same thing...?!?:doh:

Just find another buyer who's actually committed to moving and you'll be fine.
  • sparky130a
    sparky130a Posts: 660 Forumite
    If it ain't broke. Don't fix it.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Lots of sales fall through. Downsizers tend to feel they're not getting what they want and they're paying too much, because they're used to "more" and expect 3/4 of their money to buy them 3/4 of what they've already got - when it in fact usually buys them 1/4 of what they've got.
  • loveka
    loveka Posts: 535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Just wanted to sympathise with you.

Our buyer pulled out on the day of exchange! Whilst I accept she had the right to change her mind I wish she had done so sooner. We didn't lose rtf he house we had offered on, but the owners of that house lost their dream house! (They may now have got it back though)

It's awful when it happens. Our house had been off the market for nearly 3 months. We had chosen the buyer because she was in a better position than someone who had offered over the asking price. The irony!

It does make you bitter, and sadly you start to feel a bit 'dog eat dog' about the whole thing.
  • KILL_BILL
    KILL_BILL Posts: 2,183 Forumite
    tell her she should make a contribution to the survey fees
  • Mattib0110
    Mattib0110 Posts: 34 Forumite
    It's not nice, property I am buying was meant to be end of chain so only 2 house chain and they were moving in with family
    All going along nicely then they decide to buy instead adding another 4 to the chain and adding what is estimated to be at least an additional 8 weeks to sort

Feel very close to pulling out as I needed to move by a certain date for kids schools
  • Chanes
    Chanes Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I would think, in the same position, I would pay toward your costs fairly just to acknowledge the upset this has caused by withdrawing. I know people have done that too. There is no legal reason, but it would make it easier to think about what had been done to the other person.

Someone else will come along.
  • The_Logans
    The_Logans Posts: 247 Forumite
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    Appreciate you're having a rant, but you do realise that you're ranting about someone changing their mind and not moving by proposing to do exactly the same thing...?!?:doh:

Not quite the same though is it? The buyer pulled out just because she changed her mind. OP didn't change their mind, they've been let down by their buyer.

OP - we had an offer on our house, 24 hours later buyer found out he was being made redundant. I know how disappointing it is. I'm just glad it happened 24 hours into the process and not 24 hours before completion!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Approximately 1/3 of sales fall through for one reason or another, so you have plenty of company.

During the 2008 recession we had 3 sets of buyers pull out and sold to the 4th @ 16% below the original sale figure.

Unfortunate things happen. Either you move on, or you dwell on these things and end up wondering too much about what might have been.

It's pointless. No one really has a clue about that. A couple bought a lovely house near me. A few months later, their daughter died in a road accident on the way to school. Now, had they been gazumped.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure