Bidding for a car on Ebay

Comments

• facade wrote: »
    You have to give the sniper full access to your account, which is why I don't use them. (You never get something for nothing, and these snipers are always a third party site- it wouldn't be difficult to have software to do it entirely from your computer, so why are they all external websites???)
    JBidWatcher runs as a client on your own PC and you never need to provide your eBay authentication credentials to a third party.

http://www.jbidwatcher.com/
    Philip
  • AliceBanned
    AliceBanned Posts: 3,048
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    force_ten wrote: »
    if you want to look at and try out the car with a test drive then you should do all that prior to the auction end

makes you just another time waster that does not understand what an auction is you bid to buy not bid to try
    I didn't bid. I didn't do anything until I had seen the car.
  • tonyh66
    tonyh66 Posts: 1,736
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I didn't bid. I didn't do anything until I had seen the car.

probably the best thing to do.
  • AliceBanned
    Forumite
    How about this? Mileage high but I won't do much in a year myself, maybe 3k.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201703083041812/sort/priceasc/usedcars/dealer/895011/dpp/moto-tom-hemel-hempstead-dpp-895011/page/1/advert-type/dealer-stock?logcode=dsp

Not on Ebay but I ask because it is very close to where I live so might be worth me just going for it.
  • How about this? Mileage high but I won't do much in a year myself, maybe 3k.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201703083041812/sort/priceasc/usedcars/dealer/895011/dpp/moto-tom-hemel-hempstead-dpp-895011/page/1/advert-type/dealer-stock?logcode=dsp

Not on Ebay but I ask because it is very close to where I live so might be worth me just going for it.

If you do, bid him £400 and put the £100 aside for when the 'minor leak of exhaust gases' noted on the MOT becomes the exhaust falling off.

Bear in mind that he's bought that car for a couple of hundred quid with the intention of making a fast few quid for himself. It's been said before, but I'll say it again - your £500 would be far better invested in a genuine private sale, rather than in a £250 banger + margin for a trader.
  • AliceBanned
    Forumite
    If you do, bid him £400 and put the £100 aside for when the 'minor leak of exhaust gases' noted on the MOT becomes the exhaust falling off.

Bear in mind that he's bought that car for a couple of hundred quid with the intention of making a fast few quid for himself. It's been said before, but I'll say it again - your £500 would be far better invested in a genuine private sale, rather than in a £250 banger + margin for a trader.

Hi BeenThroughItAll and thanks for the advice.

At least this one is a bona fide dealer and not trying to pretend he isn't. I didn't think the MOTs looked too bad given the age and mileage. I've never seen this dealer sell anything as old and cheap as this. :D

I test drove a 2005 Golf they had for sale a while ago. I didn't like it much for me though it seemed a good car - was £2500 and at that stage I was thinking of spending more on a car. Now I realise there's probably no point spending as much as that. They later reduced it to £2200 and it sold pretty quickly but I would never have paid even that - the mileage was about 60k so I guess it was worth around £2000. They have a nice looking fiesta with white leather seats but I still think that is overpriced - I've noticed they've reduced that by £200 as it hasn't shifted. It has about 108k on the clock which is probably nearly dead for a Fiesta.

I looked on Autotrader for a valuation of this Focus and it is about £450 plus from a dealer.

Just had a quick look at the Bangernomics thread and it is quite inspiring. S type Jag perhaps or a Lexus.;)
  • Hi BeenThroughItAll and thanks for the advice.

At least this one is a bona fide dealer and not trying to pretend he isn't. I didn't think the MOTs looked too bad given the age and mileage. I've never seen this dealer sell anything as old and cheap as this. :D

I test drove a 2005 Golf they had for sale a while ago. I didn't like it much for me though it seemed a good car - was £2500 and at that stage I was thinking of spending more on a car. Now I realise there's probably no point spending as much as that. They later reduced it to £2200 and it sold pretty quickly but I would never have paid even that - the mileage was about 60k so I guess it was worth around £2000. They have a nice looking fiesta with white leather seats but I still think that is overpriced - I've noticed they've reduced that by £200 as it hasn't shifted. It has about 108k on the clock which is probably nearly dead for a Fiesta.

I looked on Autotrader for a valuation of this Focus and it is about £450 plus from a dealer.

Just had a quick look at the Bangernomics thread and it is quite inspiring. S type Jag perhaps or a Lexus.;)

It exactly for the reason that they're a bona fide dealer that I wouldn't buy a £500 car from them. There's got to be some margin in it for them. I wouldn't get hung up on what Autotrader values a car at - at this end of the market condition is the only thing that values a car, and whilst the MOT history of that Focus doesn't look too bad, it is what it is; a very cheap, high mileage Focus with no mention of service history.

I still maintain you're better off putting your £500 into a private car, as there is virtually NO advantage to buying from a trader at that price - you'll get almost no support if something goes wrong, any warranty won't be worth the paper it's printed on, and you're putting a good chunk of your money straight into the trader's pocket - it certainly isn't paying for the car.
  • AliceBanned
    Forumite
    And it's not urgent that I get a car (obviously ;)) so I have time to ponder these things. It makes sense what you say. I'd just be going there for the convenience. I've been browsing a bit more on here and Autotrader. Seen a Hyundai Coupe that I've enquired about. I might got a bit more upmarket and borrow £1000 so that I get something that I enjoy.
  • AliceBanned
    Forumite
    Does anyone know how long it takes for an MOT to show on the Gov.UK website once it's been done?

Thanks
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,458
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Does anyone know how long it takes for an MOT to show on the Gov.UK website once it's been done?

Thanks

Answered here:

https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/your-questions-answered-june-2013/

See second question down.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure