First Time Buyer Guide

Options
Hello

Me and my partner are moving in to our new house in 6 weeks. Everywhere we look for energy suppliers we are greeted with 'switch now' or 'who is your existing supplier' questions. We are coming from living with parents, who on my side are very much head in the sand, "ive been with british gas for 50 years, why would i change" menatlity.

Howdo we go about comparing for new accounts with no knowledge of how much we use, how much energy should cost etc...?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Fundamental questions - how is the house heated, semi or detached, how old.

As a rough guided in a gas heated house - electric 3000kwh a year; gas 10000 kwh a year

What you must do when you move in is to read you meter and phone the existing supplier, take a photo. Then you are free to switch.

Get into the habit of reading your meters at least every month
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    New house, or new to you with previous occupiers?

The EPC for the house will give an estimate (it may well be inaccurate but perhaps better than nothing) of consumption for the dwelling.

If not a new build the current occupiers could tell you what their consumption figures have been (if they keep records). As could their existing suppliers probably. NB There will be a deemed contract with the existing supplier(s) of the property initially; but you are free to switch if you wish.
    Existing suppliers should be on the property information forms your solicitor will have passed on from the sellers.

You could sort out your parents and potentially save them a shedload by using a switching comparison site and leaving a printout for them to see!
  • Benight
    Benight Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    thewilson1 wrote: »
    Hello

Me and my partner are moving in to our new house in 6 weeks. Everywhere we look for energy suppliers we are greeted with 'switch now' or 'who is your existing supplier' questions. We are coming from living with parents, who on my side are very much head in the sand, "ive been with british gas for 50 years, why would i change" menatlity.

Howdo we go about comparing for new accounts with no knowledge of how much we use, how much energy should cost etc...?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The answer to your question is exactly the same as if you did have knowledge of those details
    i.e. by consulting a comparison site
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Seems you have got your head around this, but just in case:

The new house, even it is brand new, will already have an energy supplier/s
    You must register your occupancy and give the meter readings to that supplier on the day you move in
    Once they have sent you a Welcome pack and opened an account in your name, you are free to Switch to another supplier.

Of course the Comparison Sites ask questions, but the way around this is to make up the answers

Present Supplier? - You say British gas
    Tariff? - You say Standard Variable
    Annual Kwh used? - If the house is all Electric, you say 13,000 Kwh - If it is Electric with Gas Heating & Water, you say 3.300 Kwh Elec & 12,000 Kwh Gas.

Of course the Price Savings and costs that will be quoted will be nonsense 'cos they are based on make believe figures, but, the costs per Gas & Electric Kwh are accurate, and the Daily Standing Charges.

If you have the streets House No and Post Code, you can do this research way before you move, starting today if you want to
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure