Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DesmondT
    • By DesmondT 11th Oct 18, 9:40 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 3Thanks
    DesmondT
    Patisserie Valerie
    • 11th Oct 18, 9:40 PM
    Patisserie Valerie 11th Oct 18 at 9:40 PM
    Hello
    I'm unfortunate to have a significant shareholding in PV via my SIPP. I did my research, studied the books (via Stockopedia), understood the business and invested a modest proportion of my fund over the last. year. All the indications were that this was a stable, low risk company with good growth potential. It now appears that there may have been some fraudulent accounting and at the very least it looks like the auditors were negligent.

My question is, assuming that the Company goes into administration, what steps can I take to recover what are likely to be significant loses? If I own these shares through a SIPP (in my case Hargreaves Lansdowne) am I still able to bring an action as a shareholder? In general do I have any come-back on this?

Thanks for any input.
Page 6
    • Brian65
    • By Brian65 23rd Jan 19, 3:37 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Brian65
    Business rates and council levy's which businesses have to pay to councils are simply way too high!! And car parking too. Bring hese down save the high street. Simples!
    Originally posted by surfsister
    Sounds like that came straight out of the Daily Mail
    No criticism of rents because that goes to the Establishment's wealthy landowners.
    Cut rates and car parking charges instead because that goes to everyone.
    Is inequality not high enough already?
    • dealer wins
    • By dealer wins 23rd Jan 19, 7:38 PM
    • 6,419 Posts
    • 12,895 Thanks
    dealer wins
    Perhaps the only thing they could cook properly was their books.
    Originally posted by ffacoffipawb
    very good!
    Choose life
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 23rd Jan 19, 7:49 PM
    • 63,414 Posts
    • 56,250 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    yes so sad another firm bites the dust!
    Originally posted by surfsister
    No shortage in this sector.
    “The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient.” – Warren Buffett
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 23rd Jan 19, 9:55 PM
    • 5,087 Posts
    • 4,407 Thanks
    Alexland
    This is getting sticky - 17 of the closing branches are in Debenhams which is already on its knees.
    • bearshare
    • By bearshare 24th Jan 19, 1:43 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    bearshare
    I think coffee shops should be independent, local businesses anyway. They mostly have better coffee, and FAR better cakes etc. Any profits stay in the locality as well, and they often partner with local artists etc.

The only thing you get from the big chains is consistency. Exactly the same coffees, and exactly the same e.g. number of cherries in a cherry slice (few). Consistently mediocre. Very boaring, but maybe an advantage for business meetings. I find Starbucks coffee awful anyway: seems overcooked.
    • Uxb1
    • By Uxb1 14th Feb 19, 7:13 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 249 Thanks
    Uxb1
    Apparently 'bought' or should that be the shell remains rescued from oblivion by an Irish private equity firm.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 14th Feb 19, 7:26 AM
    • 34,380 Posts
    • 21,733 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Apparently 'bought' or should that be the shell remains rescued from oblivion by an Irish private equity firm.
    Originally posted by Uxb1
    Yes it appears to be the case.

I didnt want to see M Ashley buy it as I could see what he would tuen it into, it would be a quick turn around, no where to sit lol.

I wonder what the OP did about his shares
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

24Posts Today

4,340Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin