Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FatherAbraham
    • By FatherAbraham 11th Oct 18, 7:02 PM
    • 990Posts
    • 755Thanks
    FatherAbraham
    How to profit from BREXIT
    • 11th Oct 18, 7:02 PM
    How to profit from BREXIT 11th Oct 18 at 7:02 PM
    It is of no consequence whether Brexit is right or wrong.

How can one exploit the opportunities, uncertainties, hope and fears to become rich?
    Last edited by FatherAbraham; 11-10-2018 at 7:52 PM.
    Thus the old Gentleman ended his Harangue. The People heard it, and approved the Doctrine, and immediately practised the Contrary, just as if it had been a common Sermon; for the Vendue opened ...
    THE WAY TO WEALTH, Benjamin Franklin, 1758 AD
Page 1
    • jamei305
    • By jamei305 11th Oct 18, 7:19 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    jamei305
    • 11th Oct 18, 7:19 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 7:19 PM
    Some equivalent of selling shovels in the gold rush.
    • kidmugsy
    • By kidmugsy 11th Oct 18, 7:22 PM
    • 12,480 Posts
    • 8,852 Thanks
    kidmugsy
    • 11th Oct 18, 7:22 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 7:22 PM
    Make some deluded sexual accusations against someone in the public eye (the PM?) and then get crowdfunded until your bank account groans under the weight of cash.

Don't accuse Boris of anything - it'll just make him more popular.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 11th Oct 18, 8:47 PM
    • 5,113 Posts
    • 4,436 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 11th Oct 18, 8:47 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 8:47 PM
    I was thinking of opening a cafe at the port of Dover to capitalise on people waiting around to be checked.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 11th Oct 18, 8:49 PM
    • 63,529 Posts
    • 56,324 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 11th Oct 18, 8:49 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 8:49 PM
    I was thinking of opening a cafe at the port of Dover to capitalise on people waiting around to be checked.
    Originally posted by Alexland
    Be open gates on the way out.
    “The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient.” – Warren Buffett
    • Rheumatoid
    • By Rheumatoid 11th Oct 18, 8:50 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 1,307 Thanks
    Rheumatoid
    • 11th Oct 18, 8:50 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 8:50 PM
    How can one exploit the opportunities, uncertainties, hope and fears to become rich?
    Originally posted by FatherAbraham
    You really need to own an investment company and look a character out of the Beano!
    16 Panel (250W JASolar) 4kWp, facing 170 degrees, 40 degree slope, Solis Inverter, Geo Solo II Monitor. Installed 29/9/2015 - £4700 (Norfolk Solar Together Scheme)
    Year target (PVGIS-CMSAF) = 3880kWh - Installer estimate 3452 kWh:
    Year 1 = 4152kWh; Year 2 =4169; Year 3 = 4389; Year 4 = 4510
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 11th Oct 18, 8:51 PM
    • 63,529 Posts
    • 56,324 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 11th Oct 18, 8:51 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 8:51 PM
    It is of no consequence whether Brexit is right or wrong.

Why wait for Brexit? Everyday is a potential trading day. News a plenty to base investment decisions on. The world isn't standing still.
    “The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient.” – Warren Buffett
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 11th Oct 18, 9:10 PM
    • 3,305 Posts
    • 2,898 Thanks
    Aretnap
    • 11th Oct 18, 9:10 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 9:10 PM

I've gone long on Heinz tinned puddings. I'll mainly be accepting payment in gold and Bitcoin. Might consider cash offers in Euros and US Dollars depending on conditions at the time. Payment in Sterling will not be considered for obvious reasons. PM me to make your offer. No time-wasters.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 11th Oct 18, 9:23 PM
    • 10,736 Posts
    • 31,538 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 11th Oct 18, 9:23 PM
    How to profit from BREXIT
    • 11th Oct 18, 9:23 PM
    Go into business selling capital letters?
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 11th Oct 18, 9:34 PM
    • 63,529 Posts
    • 56,324 Thanks
    Thrugelmir

I've gone long on Heinz tinned puddings.
    Originally posted by Aretnap
    Buffett got there before you. Like the product buy the business.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 11th Oct 18, 9:39 PM
    • 5,113 Posts
    • 4,436 Thanks
    Alexland
    I've gone long on Heinz tinned puddings.
    Originally posted by Aretnap
    Yum, had forgotten about them, can I reserve the Treacle Pudding please?

Alex
    • kidmugsy
    • By kidmugsy 11th Oct 18, 10:02 PM
    • 12,480 Posts
    • 8,852 Thanks
    kidmugsy
    Yum, had forgotten about them, can I reserve the Treacle Pudding please?
    Originally posted by Alexland
    If you like treaclish stuff, allow me to recommend Walkers Treacle Toffees as stocked by Sainsburys.
    • FatherAbraham
    • By FatherAbraham 12th Oct 18, 6:23 AM
    • 990 Posts
    • 755 Thanks
    FatherAbraham
    Why wait for Brexit? Everyday is a potential trading day. News a plenty to base investment decisions on. The world isn't standing still.
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    Because Brexit isn't an everyday occurrence - is a large, one-off change, with unpredictable consequences.

Trading based on news can be done any day, as you point out, and probably doesn't even work, since the market price already contains the news.

The point is to look for the obvious-only-in-hindsight trade which will make a great deal of money.

In Michael Lewis's book about his time at Solomon Brothers, "Liar's Poker", he talks about the Chernobyl-disaster news reaching London. Almost all the traders rushed to buy oil futures, reasoning that the loss of a major nuke would create demand for other energy sources. Of course, most lost money, because everyone was buying the same asset, overpricing it.

The one trader, who made a lot of money, was the one who went laterally, and bought potato or grain futures (I forget which). He'd realized, unlike anyone else, that the nuclear contamination would render enormous areas of Central Europe unfit to grow food.

The jokes this thread are mildly funny (thanks, guys, sigh), but somewhere, there is serious money to be made from this paradigm shift - and it'll be in a non-obvious place.
    Last edited by FatherAbraham; 12-10-2018 at 6:25 AM.
    Thus the old Gentleman ended his Harangue. The People heard it, and approved the Doctrine, and immediately practised the Contrary, just as if it had been a common Sermon; for the Vendue opened ...
    THE WAY TO WEALTH, Benjamin Franklin, 1758 AD
    • BLB53
    • By BLB53 12th Oct 18, 8:47 AM
    • 1,528 Posts
    • 1,388 Thanks
    BLB53
    but somewhere, there is serious money to be made from this paradigm shift - and it'll be in a non-obvious place.
    Brexit will be small beer compared to the changes outlined in the IPCC report this week. It should not be too difficult to work out investment opportunities arising from the changes recommended.
    If you choose index funds you can never outperform the market.
    If you choose managed funds there's a high probability you will underperform index funds.
    • kidmugsy
    • By kidmugsy 12th Oct 18, 8:55 AM
    • 12,480 Posts
    • 8,852 Thanks
    kidmugsy
    Brexit will be small beer compared to ...
    Originally posted by BLB53
    Compared to a Corbyn government, for instance. Compared to the huge market crash I expect sometime between this month and the Spring of '21, say. Compared to Italexit, compared to the collapse of a huge German bank I'd be wise not to name, compared to the assassination of Mr Trump, compared to the fall of the House of Saud, compared to civil war in China, compared to ...
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 12th Oct 18, 8:56 AM
    • 13,099 Posts
    • 9,004 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    I think you start with a large pile of cash and an above-average risk appetite. There will be plenty of "distressed assetts" and "special situations": the trick will be working out which businesses will survive and prosper.

My top tip: in a time of uncertainty people will need cheering up, and when food imports become problematic any kind of comfort food that can be made from locally-sourced ingredients will be at a premium (either things we produce ourselves, or things that keep and so will have been stockpiled). All in all, cake is a sure thing. Pattisserie Valerie, anyone?
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 12th Oct 18, 9:58 AM
    • 5,939 Posts
    • 9,816 Thanks
    Malthusian
    Take out adverts in the national press, Facebook and Google Adwords advertising a "Brexit-proof" investment paying 8% per annum.
    • talexuser
    • By talexuser 12th Oct 18, 11:17 AM
    • 2,702 Posts
    • 2,130 Thanks
    talexuser
    and don't forget to call it "guaranteed".
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 12th Oct 18, 11:20 AM
    • 5,939 Posts
    • 9,816 Thanks
    Malthusian
    No, "guaranteed" is a protected term and the FCA might actually lumber into action. "Assured", "Insured", "Asset-backed" or "Ensorceled by magical anti-default fairies" are all fine and dandy however.
    • Albermarle
    • By Albermarle 12th Oct 18, 12:09 PM
    • 883 Posts
    • 521 Thanks
    Albermarle
    Having read some of the Technical Notices issued by HM Gov to companies on how to deal with Brexit, a common piece of advice is to employ the services of someone who understands customs processes.
    So could be a good time to move into that line of business or even more lucrative become a consultant on the subject !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,277Posts Today

8,313Users online

Martin's Twitter