Like the February Correction ?

Comments

• Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,797 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Malthusian wrote: »
    As a ten-year continuous investment, over the past ten years gold has outperformed the FTSE, but this is to be expected if you cherry-pick a period that involved a massive crash in the FTSE and a massive boost for gold. The chance of exactly the same happening over the next ten years is very low.

Thats without dividends right? With Dividends reinvested the FTSE 100 is up 165% over the last 10 years (rather than 82% without dividends)
  • ffacoffipawb
    ffacoffipawb Posts: 3,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    BLB53 wrote: »
    Carnage on the world markets. My portfolio hasn't been this low since...April 2018.

FWIW just a correction led by high flying tech. A good time to reflect on asset allocation.

My allocation is rubbish and I am well down on April 2018. Down 10% this week and all fine investment trusts.

May rethink my retirement plans for next year, probably take 2 years to get back and the dow is tanking down again despite being up earlier. Manipulation anyone?
  • stehouk
    stehouk Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I was reading at the weekend that central banks across the world had snapped up 13 billion in gold amid growing fears about global volatility and a possible downturn in financial markets, not that it will bother me ive got nowt to lose
  • Bravepants
    Bravepants Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Let's keep it together team!
    If you want to be rich, live like you're poor; if you want to be poor, live like you're rich.
  • Bravepants wrote: »
    Let's keep it together team!

Totally agree! :) my stock investments broke 100K this year, peaked at 106k now at 102k, I will be feeding as normal I "hope" to keep afloat above 100k after breaking it several months ago.

I have been putting into some REIT's recently. it maybe helped smooth out the bumps too and sticking to things as normal. I wish some of my P2P would hurry up and pay back so I can lump it in :)
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,235 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 October 2018 at 8:19PM
    My allocation is rubbish and I am well down on April 2018. Down 10% this week and all fine investment trusts.
    That's the way investment trusts work. Discounts widen when markets are in turmoil, so you'll do worse than the net assets held within the trusts, or a comparable open ended fund.
    May rethink my retirement plans for next year, probably take 2 years to get back and the dow is tanking down again despite being up earlier. Manipulation anyone?
    This is to be expected after such a long bull market driven by cheap borrowing and economic stimulus. The manipulation was what propped up the markets prior to this.

There's no way of knowing whether we're about at the bottom of a dip and markets will recover by the end of the year, whether we are in a once in a lifetime crash that will take the best part of a decade to recover from, or something in between.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Manipulation anyone?
    Quite the opposite I'd say, after 10 years of actual manipulation, QE and historic low interest rates, volatility has returned
  • I just received a small unexpected inheritance (<£10k), all in on VLS I reckon, but when...

:)
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    This thread is taking an unwarranted pessimistic turn.

The world will keep turning. Consumers will keep drinking cola, using petrol to visit their mum, heating their homes, responding to scamy Facebook adverts, etc.

If you are seriously worried then you might need to consider if your asset allocation was beyond your risk tolerance and make appropriate adjustments after the situation has recovered.

Alex
  • Alexland wrote: »
    responding to scamy Facebook adverts, etc.

Oh goodness me, are we now going to start getting some revamped ads?

"In a world of stock market turmoil, turn to our 8% fixed rate ISA. cough cough capital cough at risk cough cough cough"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure