Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bcfclee27
    • By bcfclee27 11th Oct 18, 12:17 PM
    • 221Posts
    • 58Thanks
    bcfclee27
    Like the February Correction ?
    • 11th Oct 18, 12:17 PM
    Like the February Correction ? 11th Oct 18 at 12:17 PM
    Or the start of a big crash ?

What's your opinion ?

Personally I think it's similar to what happened in February and should recover over the coming months.

Just wondered others opinions on this and whether anyone thinks this will be the big crash that some have been predicting........
Page 4
    • DairyQueen
    • By DairyQueen 11th Oct 18, 9:14 PM
    • 924 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    DairyQueen
    This thread is taking an unwarranted pessimistic turn.
    Originally posted by Alexland
    I'm a bit surprised. What kind of posts will we see if this turns out to be a correction?

Time to discover whether I have gauged my tolerance to risk accurately. I'm down 4.2% on the week so potentially still a long way to go.
    • Zero Sum
    • By Zero Sum 11th Oct 18, 9:17 PM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    Zero Sum
    Its frustrating cos ive just started doing investing & after an okish September its now dropped about 10%. I currently dont have big money in so not overlly worried and a big drop is an opportunity to buy cheap for longer term gains. Which as im in for the long haul im still hopeful.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 11th Oct 18, 9:23 PM
    • 64,878 Posts
    • 57,230 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    I'm a bit surprised. What kind of posts will we see if this turns out to be a correction?
    Originally posted by DairyQueen
    Depends what investments people are holding. The mass migration to (in particular global) trackers may in itself create a more volatile market. As funds are forced to trade shares to maintain their portfolio weightings. Swings in share price may offer good buying opportuntites for the nimble.
    “If the financial system has a defect, it is that it reflects and magnifies what we human beings are like. Money amplifies our tendency to overreact, to swing from exuberance when things are going well to deep depression when they go wrong. Booms and busts are products, at root, of our emotional volatility.”
    ― Niall Ferguson
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 11th Oct 18, 9:35 PM
    • 3,309 Posts
    • 2,630 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    I did have a plan. Unfortunately it now seems to have been a bit too cunning.
    Originally posted by ffacoffipawb
    Did you stress test your plan? If it was only good in a rising market then it was really just half a plan.
    Misanthrope in search of similar for mutual loathing
    • ffacoffipawb
    • By ffacoffipawb 11th Oct 18, 9:45 PM
    • 2,919 Posts
    • 2,048 Thanks
    ffacoffipawb
    Did you stress test your plan? If it was only good in a rising market then it was really just half a plan.
    Originally posted by bostonerimus
    No, just been buying ITs since 2013. Still slightly ahead of cash but not by much.

Probably 50% UK (eg CTY, DIG, ADIG, TIGT, SCF) and 50% Global (eg HFEL, AAIF, JEMI, JETI).

On the plus side I am now slightly under LTA allowing for a middling defined benefit pension (estimated) due from 2024.

It has always bounced back, eg down 1% last month since January 1st, now down 11%. It just smells worse this time, what with Brexit, Corbyn and Wiggy White House.
    • takesyourchances
    • By takesyourchances 11th Oct 18, 10:05 PM
    • 774 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    takesyourchances
    No, just been buying ITs since 2013. Still slightly ahead of cash but not by much.

Probably 50% UK (eg CTY, DIG, ADIG, TIGT, SCF) and 50% Global (eg HFEL, AAIF, JEMI, JETI).

On the plus side I am now slightly under LTA allowing for a middling defined benefit pension (estimated) due from 2024.

It has always bounced back, eg down 1% last month since January 1st, now down 11%. It just smells worse this time, what with Brexit, Corbyn and Wiggy White House.

I hold various IT's as well. You really are only 5 years in from your "first" buys in 2013, if you been drip feeding from then to now some of your investments have only been held for very short periods.

There will always be something going on in the world and there will be again once Brexit, Corbyn and Wiggy White House are yesterdays headlines.

Batten down the hatches and keep deploying through your plan and reinvest those IT dividends too
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 12th Oct 18, 6:09 AM
    • 9,365 Posts
    • 17,027 Thanks
    bowlhead99

May rethink my retirement plans for next year, probably take 2 years to get back and the dow is tanking down again despite being up earlier. Manipulation anyone?
    Yeah, $50+ trillion of world equity markets are being manipulated by some guy who's cackling at his PC screen as he sees you post about your retirement plans being screwed over.

Or maybe, 'markets go up and down' is somewhat expected.
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 12th Oct 18, 6:12 AM
    • 2,606 Posts
    • 4,703 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    Was planning on filling the last part of our S&S ISA's in December when some more Reg Savers mature, but going to get the money in early, using October's VRS maturity, and bag some cheap(er) units. OK i'll lose 8 days interest on closing early...but "who dares wins eh Rodney"
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow " JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!!
    • 25 Years On
    • By 25 Years On 12th Oct 18, 6:22 AM
    • 1,888 Posts
    • 4,830 Thanks
    25 Years On
    I'd guess today will be bounce back day judging by the Asian markets.
    • By 2010 12th Oct 18, 7:08 AM
    • 4,249 Posts
    • 3,365 Thanks
    I'd guess today will be bounce back day judging by the Asian markets.
    Originally posted by 25 Years On
    Dead cat bounce!
    • Zero Sum
    • By Zero Sum 12th Oct 18, 7:15 AM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    Zero Sum
    One theory

https://www.facebook.com/RBReich/posts/2170826576263260?__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARDACnUrbtoFrPQ T5kfNcCq41_eIxz2g0aFPBj4TDNHEjscVgdbs3MBJzB9a1trAo tWrzjMLd6LMnCIlABwyRHam0E6OpSiYlAFgk2crX44K1dvMpw3 hEYSo9c02NzLvK8SA2qH8KsgSdQImc0AbFBANHIo7UQK7Jk2XZ rGW-YcFVgnw_zmJ2A&__tn__=-R#
    • Snakey
    • By Snakey 12th Oct 18, 7:17 AM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 1,356 Thanks
    Snakey
    I slightly up-risked on my whole pension pot and those investment changes were executed literally on the 9th lol. Also put in the whole of my CY ISA allowance at the end of September. I'm not going to log in and check how it's looking any time soon or I might cry!

On the upside, I've got another £30k that I've been dithering over opening a GIA for (and, as a result, had not got round to doing it yet). I don't think I can resist the temptation to try to time the market a little tiny bit, but it's going in soon I reckon.

In past corrections/crashes, I've tended to leave the existing stuff where it was and pump more money in to the best of my ability. That's what I plan to do this time around as well. I reckon I only need worry if things get so bad that "people like me" start to lose their jobs, thus putting that strategy at risk.
    • TBC15
    • By TBC15 12th Oct 18, 7:43 AM
    • 829 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    TBC15
    'Permission to panic Mr Mainwaring'
    Last edited by TBC15; 12-10-2018 at 7:48 AM. Reason: why not
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 12th Oct 18, 7:56 AM
    • 1,661 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    adonis10
    I'm keeping a level head at this stage and I am a novice investor. Heart sank a bit in Feb/March time when my investments in VG LS 80 and 100 (90:10 weighting) took a nosedive to an overall gain of 0.5%, so the drop in the past week has not concerned me too much (down from 11.5% last week to 5% this morning) didn't freak me out too much. If anything, I am now closer to investing the 4.5k I have sat in my LISA as have kept in cash over the past few months given the high unit prices.

Question is, how much more of a drop do I look for before ploughing it in, or is that far too much a case of trying to time the market? From a novice's point of view, investing more when the gain is at 11.5% seems foolish as a correction is inevitable but at what point do I start to invest again, 6% drop, 4% drop etc. or do I simply keep a level head and drip feed at realistic times (ie., now)?
    • Peanut8472
    • By Peanut8472 12th Oct 18, 8:11 AM
    • 133 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Peanut8472
    "Sorry, there's no more money left"

Typical remnants of every Labour government.

And now, your blaming your troubles on someone has not even been in power.

Interesting.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 12th Oct 18, 8:24 AM
    • 15,974 Posts
    • 19,177 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Its frustrating cos ive just started doing investing & after an okish September its now dropped about 10%. I currently dont have big money in so not overlly worried and a big drop is an opportunity to buy cheap for longer term gains. Which as im in for the long haul im still hopeful.
    Originally posted by Zero Sum
    Yep, you really need to take this on board, best thing for you would be a decline and low prices for a few years. So there should be no "frustration "
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 12th Oct 18, 8:30 AM
    • 15,974 Posts
    • 19,177 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Question is, how much more of a drop do I look for before ploughing it in, or is that far too much a case of trying to time the market? From a novice's point of view, investing more when the gain is at 11.5% seems foolish as a correction is inevitable but at what point do I start to invest again, 6% drop, 4% drop etc. or do I simply keep a level head and drip feed at realistic times (ie., now)?
    Originally posted by adonis10
    Read the link in post 6
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
    • stehouk
    • By stehouk 12th Oct 18, 8:34 AM
    • 278 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    stehouk
    'Permission to panic Mr Mainwaring'
    Originally posted by TBC15
    70% Stock Market Crash to Strike November 1, Economist Warns

permission granted
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 12th Oct 18, 8:44 AM
    • 1,661 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    adonis10
    Read the link in post 6
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    Interesting, and provides comfort. I'm 35 so see no reason to come out of the market for 25-30 years so perhaps all is not lost!
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 12th Oct 18, 8:44 AM
    • 98,597 Posts
    • 67,050 Thanks
    dunstonh
    This site must not turn into the Daily Express. The investments have not plummeted. They have not nosedived or any other superlative. They have gone down a little.

Most UK investors are cautious to low/medium in risk. They are losing around 3-5% of every 10% the market falls.

10% falls happen regularly. 20% falls happen every 3-5 years. 40%+ falls more generational.

If you consider this a plummet then you are invested above your risk tolerance.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

364Posts Today

4,384Users online

Martin's Twitter