Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bcfclee27
    • By bcfclee27 11th Oct 18, 12:17 PM
    • 219Posts
    • 58Thanks
    bcfclee27
    Like the February Correction ?
    • 11th Oct 18, 12:17 PM
    Like the February Correction ? 11th Oct 18 at 12:17 PM
    Or the start of a big crash ?

What's your opinion ?

Personally I think it's similar to what happened in February and should recover over the coming months.

Just wondered others opinions on this and whether anyone thinks this will be the big crash that some have been predicting........
Page 11
    • AlanP
    • By AlanP 31st Oct 18, 8:03 PM
    • 1,595 Posts
    • 1,273 Thanks
    AlanP
    I think some consolidation is a good idea so the process of transferring to another platform can be considered. I have to say that this site
    ( not the forum ) did recommend HL as a good provider.

Just spoke to my neighbour whilst fixing his PC.

He has lost 80k in DIY investing with HL, Sirius and Lloyds shares. I could not live with that!!

Another issue re pension, is that I did not think a final salary pension could be added to??
    Originally posted by john5001
    There are many definitions of good though aren't there, a 2nd hand car is good to some whilst for others it would need to be brand new Range Rover. Capitalist economies provide opportunities to offer consumers a range of products at different price points.

Sounds like your neighbour has invested in individual company shares which is a different thing to fund investments entirely. You need to carefully manage your own diversification and amount exposed with each share.

Not sure what you mean as regards final salary pension, what you can do to increase it will be down to scheme rules. For example you can buy additional years service in LGPS scheme as you could when it was a fs scheme.

What you can also do is run a private DC scheme to supplement your DB pension.
    • londoninvestor
    • By londoninvestor 31st Oct 18, 8:55 PM
    • 1,073 Posts
    • 960 Thanks
    londoninvestor
    25 + VAT closure
    Originally posted by ColdIron
    Ah yes, the financial services equivalent of Jaffa Cakes
    • DairyQueen
    • By DairyQueen 31st Oct 18, 10:41 PM
    • 733 Posts
    • 1,380 Thanks
    DairyQueen
    He has lost 80k in DIY investing with HL, Sirius and Lloyds shares. I could not live with that!!
    That loss isn't related to the platform but to his choice of investments. Single company shares are very high risk and should be limited to small punts (or zero) within an amateur's portfolio.
    • OldMusicGuy
    • By OldMusicGuy 1st Nov 18, 9:10 AM
    • 951 Posts
    • 2,065 Thanks
    OldMusicGuy
    I think some consolidation is a good idea so the process of transferring to another platform can be considered. I have to say that this site
    HL is a good (but slightly expensive) platform provider. However, you can't invest with HL. They provide the platform but not the underlying investment funds. Your mistake was to choose the HL multi-manager funds which are a very expensive way to choose funds available on the HL platform. I doubt anyone on this forum would recommend them.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 1st Nov 18, 9:49 AM
    • 14,643 Posts
    • 17,484 Thanks
    AnotherJoe

Just spoke to my neighbour whilst fixing his PC.

Whilst I am not a cheeleader for HL, i think thats a bit harsh on them.
    If you had put;

Just spoke to my neighbour. He has lost 80k on a prestige car purchase he made with cash from his Barclays account.
    would you have followed up with "I'll be steering well clear of Barclays" or "I'll be steering well clear of prestige car purchases"..

Do you intend to invest in single company shares as opposed to pooled investments?

If not, whats the relevance of your neighbours loss to you (other than as a warning not to invest in single shares if you arent prepared for the consequences) or the fact he used HL?

FWIW I've just looked at my Lloyds shares. And see I've made the grand total of 4.61 in 22 months (excluding dividends) And thats just because they happen to be up 3% this morning, not sure what thats about.

But they are with HL so yes maybe its all HL's fault .... hmmm.
    Last edited by AnotherJoe; 01-11-2018 at 9:53 AM.
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

985Posts Today

7,731Users online

Martin's Twitter