Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 11th Oct 18, 4:21 AM
    • 150Posts
    • 388Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Curbing my Impulse Spending...
    • 11th Oct 18, 4:21 AM
    Curbing my Impulse Spending... 11th Oct 18 at 4:21 AM
    Hi everyone,

I have been stalking these forums for the past few days and thought I'd join and do a diary. I find "reporting in" makes me more accountable which in turn helps me to stay disciplined.

I have the following debt below which I am eager to pay off and not have the niggling feeling in the back of my mind. Plus as I'm 24 I seriously need to think about credit scores for mortgages etc.

Credit Card A £258.78 0% Interest - This will be paid off on 22nd of Oct
    Credit Card B £3144.96 0% Interest until 21/03/2021
    Credit Card C £3564.05 0% Interest until October 2021

My currently salary situation is a bit of an odd one. Before August my salary was £1900 per month however I am currently seconded to a project and have been in Australia since August which comes with an additional £1000 per month allowance meaning my salary per month is £2900. I am returning to the UK in two weeks where this allowance may potentially continue for another 3 months.

This additional allowance has been an actual god send and has allowed me to also start savings as well as paying off my debts. As my IF periods are for another 2-2 and a half years, I figured saving made sense.

My question is, if I am paying £100 each off card B and C each month and saving £300 a month, should I really be decreasing the amount I'm saving (say to 100 per month) and increasing the amount I pay off my debts (say to £200 off each debt per month)?

I'm really hoping my allowance will continue for the next 3 months and I should know by Friday if this is the case. When I'm on my normal salary of £1900, after bills and debts have been paid there isn't a huge amount left over however I definitely need to re-examine my spending because I know I'm a big spender. I have already started to re-examine my spending and there are a few areas I can cut costs.

I'm planning to update this diary every few days so I can discuss and use it to encourage me to cut my spending! Reading everyone else's diaries and success stories has also inspired me.

I've also started an anonymous blog to keep me super accountable which if you're interested can be found at wordpress and is called The Impulse Spender, it won't let me post the URL

Thanks for reading!

Impulse Spender
Page 4
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 6th Jan 19, 4:21 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Today was a NSD so 2/31 for the month. Yesterday I went shopping and was a bit spendy but I expected it. I had vouchers to use so I ended up getting 2 blouses, work trousers and a dress for 50 which I thought was really good. I also used boots points to pay for the skin stuff so only ended up spending 15 there too. I did pay for lunch which was just under 40 for my boyfriend and I as he paid for dinner the previous night and our train fare into town.

In the past, I would have put the spending straight on the card and thought "Oh I'll just pay it off later..." which would never happen so I feel I've definitely improved as I never use my CC anymore.

Going to be on a tighter leash this week, I have to get some grocery bits tomorrow but then the rest of the week should be NSD. Definitely avoiding the coffee shop next week.
    FD CC - 258.78/258.78, Santander CC - 507/3883.17, MBNA CC - 760/3144.96, Savings - £400/5000
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 13th Jan 19, 7:20 AM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Oops, haven’t updated for a week. Need to get back on that New Year Promise.

The past week has had a few spends, someone was leaving so went out for a lunch and then that same day in the evening I’d planned to catch up with a couple of friends. 2 meals out in one day, I mean I like food but even that’s a bit much for me.

Yesterday was a NSD so that’s 3/31 for January. Need to get a few bits from Morris today but I am expecting Monday and Tuesday to be NSDs.

I have been sticking to my 2019 promise of getting back into running. Although it’s so frustrating because I can’t run like I did 4/5 months ago when I was in Australia. I just want to be back at that level but I’m having to start again. Ah well, these things take time.
    FD CC - 258.78/258.78, Santander CC - 507/3883.17, MBNA CC - 760/3144.96, Savings - £400/5000
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 16th Jan 19, 12:01 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Bought breakfast and a coffee on Monday which set me back £5.55, need to get out the habit of feeling like I need to buy breakfast to kickstart my week.

Yesterday was a NSD so that's 4/31 for Jan now, pretty sure today will be the same as I'm working from home so no temptations to pop out and spend especially when the weather is so miserable.

I'm really enjoying my new job so far. Definitely needed a new challenge and this is working out really well at the moment.

I get paid on Monday so will know my new salary then, and so will be posting a SOA just so I can see where my spending is going. Need to have a full clear out as my room and flat are getting me down with the amount of 'junk' I've accumlated in the past few years. Definitely need to watch that Marie Kondo on Netflix to sort myself out, everytime I look at something I need to ask "Does this spark joy?" and if not, then away it goes.
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 21st Jan 19, 3:59 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Was paid today so £200 paid off Santander, £60 paid off MBNA. Sticking to my New Years promises, I transferred £30 to the Christmas fund and £50 to the weekend break fund. I also transferred £50 to my savings to get back into the habit of doing that.

Decided to start the virtual sealed pot challenge on Sunday so planning to round down to 5s or 10s so moved 3.14 over on Sunday to my sealed pot account. Really like the idea of the sealed pot challenge, excited to see how much it adds up to in a few months

Today was a NSD so that’s 5/31 for this month. Not going great on the NSDs but need to persevere. Tomorrow should also be a NSD as I’m on a course again like today.

Planning to post my SOA over the next few days now that I’ve been paid with my new wage and can see how much it is each month roughly.
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 22nd Jan 19, 7:12 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Had another NSD woo so 6/31 for this month. Hoping for another one tomorrow as lunch is already made and ready to go. Also started doing surveys on Qmee again to make some extra pennies.
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 22nd Jan 19, 8:02 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    New SOA
    Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 1
    Number of children in household.........
    Number of cars owned....................

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 2235.84
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Benefits................................ 0
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 2235.84

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 0
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 665
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 69 *Halved amount as split with flatmate*
    Electricity............................. 16.7 *Halved amount as split with flatmate*
    Gas..................................... 0 *Included in Rent*
    Water rates............................. 0 *Included in Rent*
    Telephone (land line)................... 0
    Mobile phone............................ 52
    TV Licence.............................. 6.25
    Satellite/Cable TV/Internet...................... 30 *Halved amount as split with flatmate*
    Groceries etc. ......................... 100
    Clothing................................ 30
    Petrol/diesel........................... 0
    Road tax................................ 0
    Car Insurance........................... 0
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 0
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 240 *Highest it could possbly be in a month*
    Childcare/nursery....................... 0
    Other child related expenses............ 0
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 8
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
    Buildings insurance..................... 0
    Contents insurance...................... 0
    Life assurance ......................... 0
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 40
    Haircuts................................ 0
    Holiday................................. 0
    Emergency Savings....................... 50
    Dining Out.............................. 60
    Takeaways............................... 25
    Coffees................................. 25
    Work Snacks............................. 5
    Work Lunches............................ 25
    Drinks.................................. 15
    Days Out................................ 20
    Weekend Break Savings................... 50
    Household Costs......................... 5
    Cosmetics............................... 20
    Charity................................. 5
    Total monthly expenses.................. 1561.95

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 0
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 0
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 0

No Secured nor Hire Purchase Debts

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    MBNA...........................2564......60....... .0
    Santander......................3263......40....... .0
    Total unsecured debts..........5827......100.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 2,235.84
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 1,561.95
    Available for debt repayments........... 673.89
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 100
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 573.89

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 0
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -0
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -5,827
    Net Assets.............................. -5,827

Created using the SOA calculator at www.stoozing.com.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.

The £673 is roughly what I was expecting for debt repayments so no huge surprise. I think my issue is that when I get paid I will only use maybe half of that to pay off the debts and then keep say £300 'spare' as a backup until the end of the month just before I next get paid to then pay some more debts off then. However I think sometimes maybe I think I have more money available just before I get paid and sometimes all of the 'spare' money doesn't go towards debt repaying. Maybe I should be paying £600 as soon as I get paid and then it's gone and I can't spend it on things not in my budget.
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 24th Jan 19, 7:42 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    No NSD today or yesterday. Yesterday I bought lunch for me and someone in my team who was over from Spain so that cost £10.95. Today I bought a couple of coffees and some food shopping so that together came to £13.17. I've also bought cinema tickets for me and a friend to see The Favorite on Saturday and that was £13.50 each. I never go to the cinema so I'm really looking forward to it. I'm hoping she pays me back soon as before Christmas she was becomming a tad lax in paying me back for things she owed me. I hate being that tightwad but it adds up and up and got to about £30 odd that she owed me before Christmas!
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 25th Jan 19, 2:25 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    All meals planned out for the next week and ordered a food shop to be delivered tomorrow. Normally I'd walk when I don't have my car but I had a few things to get. That came to £45.81 from Ts. £5.00 is the pleasure of having it delivered so £40 feels a bit steep, although I know £7 was batteries so £33 for my weekly shop is probably just slightly over.

Also got my eyebrows tinted and waxed today which I don't do normally but its the only treat I give myself since having stopped having my nails done. It's £25 every 4/5 weeks.

Plan for tonight is to spend tonight at a friend's house and just watch tv and chill. I imagine we'll get a takeaway but I've budgeted for that. The rest of the weekend should be NSD as I am planning to go full Marie Kondo and have a clear out of humongous proportions. I might even stick a few things on ebay or facebook if I find anything.
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 27th Jan 19, 5:06 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    NSD today so 7/31 for the month.

Stuck to my takeaway budget for Friday night and yesterday a friend and I went for dinner at Wagamamas and then to the cinema which was already paid for. She also paid me back so I was happy.

I did my epic clear out and 9 bin bags later I feel like I have a new bedroom. It was mainly clothes but it feels so much better. Didn’t really find anything to sell but one bin bag is going to charity shop and the rest in the bin.
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 28th Jan 19, 5:19 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    NSD today again so 8/31 for the month.

Added 3.57 into my virtual sealed pot yesterday to round down to the nearest 5.

Will be getting my car back soon as my mum no longer needs it. I have mixed feeling about this as while it’s useful to have a car, it’s not a necessity for me because I can commute on the train. Plus I’m probably looking at least £55 a month for insurance. Mum has offered to pay for its MOT and service though in April seeing as she’s had it the best part of a year.

Aslong as I’m sticking to my budgeting on YNAB it should be fine.
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 4th Feb 19, 7:35 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Paid for my car insurance yesterday and decided to pay it annually instead of monthly as I'd be saving almost £200. It ended up coming to £630 for the year which I've put onto my credit card which wasn't ideal but in the long run it saves me money. I'll just add another £55 each month when I pay money towards my card.

Didn't add anything to my virtual sealed pot yesterday as it was somehow already rounded down. I actually look forward to rounding down each Sunday night

Heading back to my parents on Thursday night where I'll pick my car up and drive back on Sunday. Spends should be low for the weekend although I might need to fill my car hope. Secretly hoping my parents fill it up for me before I drive back, wishful thinking eh
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 5th Feb 19, 6:30 AM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Had a bit of a toss and turn last night lying in bed thinking about have I really made an effort with saving this year so far and paying these debts off? If Iím honest with myself then no Iíve not been as disciplined as I should have been. Iím still buying coffee and food at lunch when I have perfectly good food at home. So this morning Iíve made a proper commitment to myself to kick this debt up the bum.

Inspired by others on here Iíve also decided to do a £12 a day challenge starting from today. That will have to exclude my train fare to work and DD but will cover all other spends.

I CAN DO THIS!
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 5th Feb 19, 8:07 AM
    • 9,245 Posts
    • 21,538 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Only just caught up with your diary and what a journey. Working abroad, new job and getting to grips with budgeting. God comprehensive soa too so have subscribed.

My comments would be first do you have an emergency savings account as there is nothing in your soa to indicate you do? Your debt is at 0% and it looks like you will clear it before the deals expire so I think I would build a mini one before throwing the whole £673 to the debt which would clear it in under a year.

I think getting in the habit of taking lunch to work and not buying coffees out regularly will be a good money saver. It always shocks me people are willing to throw £50 to £100 a month away on buying food out often from sheer laziness or bad time organisation because they can't be bothered to make a sandwich or salad or even take leftovers into work for lunch.

Another thing you might find useful is to add up all your annual bills which are cheaper if you pay upfront like car insurance, train season tickets etc and make a point of saving for them for the following year so you don't have to put them on the credit card.

Good luck in getting rid of the debt.
    Early retired in December 2017

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 5th Feb 19, 5:31 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Thanks EnthusiasticSaver it has been a crazy 6 months or so. I finally feel like Iím finally going to be settling into some normality in the next year with this new role.

I do have an emergency savings pot which is currently at £350 which I didnít include on the SOA for some reason. But youíre right, I really do need to build that up. At the moment Iím putting £50 a month into when I get paid but any cashback or survey money earned Iíll throw that at it too to build it up.
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 5th Feb 19, 5:38 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    NSD today so first one for the month! Transferred £12 for tomorrow, and hoping for a NSD so should be on £24 by end of tomorrow. Not sure what Iím going to do with any money left over if there is on Sunday evening. Maybe Iíll carry it over into the following week so I donít have to transfer as much? Any suggestions welcome
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 6th Feb 19, 6:38 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Trains were a nightmare this morning and were delayed massively or cancelled. I didn't end up getting into work until after 9.30 so I bought some breakfast and a coffee as I didn't have a chance to make mine so that dipped into my spends for today by £3.35. The silver lining was because I was delayed over an hour I can claim back the ticket compensation every cloud...

I also bought some loo roll after work which was £2.43. So after today I still have £18.22 from the past two days.

I have lunch for tomorrow and I'm travelling back to my parents tomorrow night and so normally I buy something on the way but I've premade some tuna pasta which can be eaten cold to take with me to save money!
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 10th Feb 19, 7:30 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Had a lovely weekend with my family and partner. Its always nice to go back to my parents. Spends were quite low and my lovely kind Nan gave me £60. I used this to fill my car with petrol to get back and so luckily petrol didn't come out of my £12 a day challenge.

Because of this I've managed to keep £52.58 out of a possible £72 so I've been good this week on the spends. I'm going to roll it over to next week although I have no intention of spending it. I'm enjoying the challenge of the daily limit so far.

I rounded by bank account down tonight so that's £1.67 into the virtual sealed pot bringing that total to £8.38.

Now I have my car back I'm going to start driving into work as I've done some calculations and I actually think it will be cheaper to do that slightly than getting the train fingers crossed.
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 11th Feb 19, 6:45 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Spent £10.29 today on some grocery bits from Mr T and a birthday card for someone in my team. So have £1.31 left over from today.

Need to get some petrol tomorrow so will have to dip into tomorrowís £12 and what was left over from last week. Going to try and only fill up with £30 as that should last me until the weekend and I donít want to go too much into the money I saved from last week.
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 12th Feb 19, 8:11 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Spent £16.12 on getting some doughnuts and fruit for my team meeting today and then spent £40.57 on petrol. So definitely gone way over my £12 a day challenge. Luckily because I hadn't spent much last week this covered the petrol and that should last me for just over a week.

Tomorrow I'm away for the day so need travel spends for the train which will use all of my £12 allowance for tomorrow but at least that gets expensed back.
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 13th Feb 19, 6:08 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Was at an exhibition event for work today so spent £10.74 on lunch which was massively overpriced and I’m annoyed at myself for not taking something with me.

I bought my train ticket with my money away from the daily £12 challenge as it was £20 and I’ll be getting it expensed back.

Hoping for a NSD tomorrow and Friday as I have lunch prepared for tomorrow and Friday I’m working from home.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,017Posts Today

8,538Users online

Martin's Twitter