Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 11th Oct 18, 4:21 AM
    • 150Posts
    • 388Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Curbing my Impulse Spending...
    • 11th Oct 18, 4:21 AM
    Curbing my Impulse Spending... 11th Oct 18 at 4:21 AM
    Hi everyone,

I have been stalking these forums for the past few days and thought I'd join and do a diary. I find "reporting in" makes me more accountable which in turn helps me to stay disciplined.

I have the following debt below which I am eager to pay off and not have the niggling feeling in the back of my mind. Plus as I'm 24 I seriously need to think about credit scores for mortgages etc.

Credit Card A £258.78 0% Interest - This will be paid off on 22nd of Oct
    Credit Card B £3144.96 0% Interest until 21/03/2021
    Credit Card C £3564.05 0% Interest until October 2021

My currently salary situation is a bit of an odd one. Before August my salary was £1900 per month however I am currently seconded to a project and have been in Australia since August which comes with an additional £1000 per month allowance meaning my salary per month is £2900. I am returning to the UK in two weeks where this allowance may potentially continue for another 3 months.

This additional allowance has been an actual god send and has allowed me to also start savings as well as paying off my debts. As my IF periods are for another 2-2 and a half years, I figured saving made sense.

My question is, if I am paying £100 each off card B and C each month and saving £300 a month, should I really be decreasing the amount I'm saving (say to 100 per month) and increasing the amount I pay off my debts (say to £200 off each debt per month)?

I'm really hoping my allowance will continue for the next 3 months and I should know by Friday if this is the case. When I'm on my normal salary of £1900, after bills and debts have been paid there isn't a huge amount left over however I definitely need to re-examine my spending because I know I'm a big spender. I have already started to re-examine my spending and there are a few areas I can cut costs.

I'm planning to update this diary every few days so I can discuss and use it to encourage me to cut my spending! Reading everyone else's diaries and success stories has also inspired me.

I've also started an anonymous blog to keep me super accountable which if you're interested can be found at wordpress and is called The Impulse Spender, it won't let me post the URL

Thanks for reading!

Impulse Spender
Page 3
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 22nd Nov 18, 7:01 AM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Payday yesterday so all budgets done from today into the first half of December. Also withdrew £10 out from Qmee. Selling my old phone to music magpie for (hopefully) £93.

Paid £60 off Santander debt, would love to have paid more but due to being down £400 in wages it’s just not possible this month.

But yesterday was a NSD and we had a free lunch as we had a group meeting!
    FD CC - 258.78/258.78, Santander CC - 507/3883.17, MBNA CC - 760/3144.96, Savings - £400/5000
    • charliedavis
    • By charliedavis 22nd Nov 18, 7:10 AM
    • 400 Posts
    • 970 Thanks
    charliedavis
    You’ll get more for your phone selling on Facebook marketplace or Shpock?
    -£99,152 net worth - scary figure - my diary out of debt!
    Total debt currently stands at £78,812.91
    Get out of debt 2019 #39 - target £26,429 - current = £2395 3-6 month EF challenge #10 - currently at £1,421/£10,500
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 23rd Nov 18, 9:42 AM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    I considered doing that but wasn't confident I'd get that much. I'll have a look this afternoon to see how much iPhone 6S are on Facebook and Ebay on for. Unfortunately the phone is locked to EE which brings the price down.
    FD CC - 258.78/258.78, Santander CC - 507/3883.17, MBNA CC - 760/3144.96, Savings - £400/5000
    • charliedavis
    • By charliedavis 24th Nov 18, 8:20 AM
    • 400 Posts
    • 970 Thanks
    charliedavis
    Phones locked to EE "should" have all been unlocked I think - OH had a new phone arrive yesterday and it turned up unlocked even though it's on a 2 year contract. DS sold his a few months back and it was unlocked.Have you tried putting another SIM card in to check?
    Get out of debt 2019 #39 - target £26,429 - current = £2395 3-6 month EF challenge #10 - currently at £1,421/£10,500
  • archived user
    Just a thought I had an iPhone 6 and the company I sent it to said it was scratched on the screen. You would have needed a microscope to see it. Think they offered me £50 , I asked for it back and sold it on Facebook marketplace for £160 . If you have the time well worth checking it out.
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 26th Nov 18, 7:46 AM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Thanks guys, Iíll see if they still offer their original price but if they bring it down Iíll stick it on FB or EBay. Iíll try putting in another SIM card too to see if it works.

Friday ended up being very heavy on spending. I went on a work night out which I had budgeted for but not enough to eat and too many drinks later resulted in me spending a lot more than the £30 cash Iíd taken out for the evening. I canít even fully remember what Iíve spent, Iím just waiting for the transactions to hit my bank account

I didnít take my card out with me but I have my cards on my apple wallet so in future they may need to be removed...

The rest of the weekend was stuck to budget, friendís birthday meal yesterday was all budgeted for.

Need to get some bits from T today but then the rest of the week until Friday WILL be NSDs.
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 28th Nov 18, 4:21 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    I had my final interview today and I feel it went well. Hopefully I should know by the end of this week or first thing next week but it’s looking good!

NSD yesterday, today not so much.

Almost finished my Christmas shopping just need to get the last small bits for my grandparents but managed to stick to my budget so far.

Got £93 for my old phone which I’m pleased about. Spending this weekend away with my boyfriend and tried to budget as best as possible for meals out etc. Going to try not to go crazy, he’s a student so luckily he doesn’t want to spend too much money!
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 28th Nov 18, 4:22 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    I had my final interview today and I feel it went well. Hopefully I should know by the end of this week or first thing next week but itís looking good!

NSD yesterday, today not so much.

Almost finished my Christmas shopping just need to get the last small bits for my grandparents but managed to stick to my budget so far.

Got £93 for my old phone which Iím pleased about. Spending this weekend away with my boyfriend and tried to budget as best as possible for meals out etc. Going to try not to go crazy, heís a student so luckily he doesnít want to spend too much money!
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 3rd Dec 18, 4:40 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    I got the promotion!

So happy as itís a huge step up for me, exciting challenage ahead!

Perks have also increased like private medical cover, entered into the bonus scheme and an increase in salary. After upping pension contributions to 5% and using the income tax calculator on here I am going to be roughly just over £300 better off each month.

I start officially in January so wonít get my new pay change until the end of Jan but planning on posting a SOA just so I can work out how much more I have for debt repayments.

Also I didnít post a SOA originally so feel like itís time I finally posted one

Having been using YNAB for a few months now, I should also have a more accurate amount for the different categories.

So happy and excited for the new challenge! Feel like Iím finally making a career in my chosen industry
    • charliedavis
    • By charliedavis 3rd Dec 18, 8:44 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 970 Thanks
    charliedavis
    Congratulations on the promotion! Great news about the increase in salary and the other perks - that’s great!
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 4th Dec 18, 5:14 AM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 8,532 Thanks
    Munchin
    Congratulations
    • adg89
    • By adg89 4th Dec 18, 9:43 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    adg89
    Congrats on your promotion, ImpulseSpender

• ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 4th Dec 18, 2:22 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Thank you all! My diary is already filling up with handover meetings which will be keeping me busy. Hoping if I'm being kept busy I'll stop spending...

A NSD today as I worked from home. Putting our Christmas decs up tonight which will be fun. Might try and do some surveys on Qmee to earn some extra pounds
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 7th Dec 18, 8:39 AM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Unexpected dinner out last night. My boyfriend got rejected from a grad scheme he really wanted and so was a bit down about it. I offered to take us out for dinner, my treat. That set me back £60 But luckily there was room in the budget for it and it was a delicious dinner.

Working from home today and the weather is horrendous so expecting it to be a NSD. Going out for lunch with my Auntie tomorrow who never lets me pay for lunch and then spending the rest of the weekend with my boyfriend and his family so should be a fairly low spend weekend. Famous last words eh...
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 11th Dec 18, 12:59 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Weekend was quite low spending. Needed some makeup remover so got that from T and managed not to spend on anything else while in there.

Boyfriend gave me a link to open a Monzo account and once I’ve used the card to pay for something I get £10. I’ve been thinking of getting a Monzo account for a while as I want to use it as a little pot to save for a weekend away next summer. If anyone wants the link which gets you the free £10 when you open the account then let me know.

Christmas party on Thursday this week and I am so lucky that this year it finishes in my town meaning I can walk home! We all go to a place which is only one stop on the train away for a fancy lunch and then we get into minibuses to continue the after party in the evening. So happy as I’m saving loads in not having to get a hotel and taxis which is normally what I have to do. Budgeted £20 for drinks as there is free wine at the lunch. Don’t want to drink too much so £20 should be more than enough once the free wine has gone. I know I’ll want a dominos at the end of the evening so I’ve also budgeted for that too!
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 17th Dec 18, 7:27 AM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Works Christmas party was fun and I had a good time. It wasnít good on my budgeting though, I doubled what I was supposed to spend on drinks and then spent money I didnít have on a takeaway the next day. So now Iím into my overdraft for the first time in about 6 months.

I think I can be too nice though, my flat mate joined me in the takeaway which I paid for and normally she transfers me what she owes me but this time she hasnít and itís £20 but I feel super awkward asking her for it. My old manager also kept dropping massive hints when Iíd go to the bar so I bought her a few drinks too but didnít get any back in return. Not that I donít mind but itís just so hard when youíre trying to be careful and people arenít aware of your debt situation.

Thankfully my overdraft is interest free up to £250 and there should be no way I go anywhere near that. But itís better than putting it onto my credit card.

Going back to my parents on Tuesday for Christmas which will be nice and should be low spend until I leave on New Yearís Day. Christmas shopping is all done and so far I just have a meal out planned with a friend on Friday so between now and Christmas Day I shouldnít spend too much.
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 23rd Dec 18, 6:20 AM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Merry Chrismas Eve Eve!

Feeling fully Christmassy now that I'm back at home with my parents and family. The past week hasn't been too dramatic on the spending and I got paid on Friday.

£50 off Santander debt and £60 off MBNA debt with hopefully more to take off in early Jan

Went into the local town yesterday with my sister who needed some bits. Decided to buy my mum an extra gift as I felt like what I'd got her wasn't enough, so spent £22 on that. Sister bought us coffees which were nice and then I suggested we popped into Foot Locker for a browse...

What was meant to be a browse turned into a new pair of trainers treat day. Luckily and very kindly my mum said she'd go halves with me as part of my Christmas presents so they only cost me £35. I'd budgeted £35 to spend in the Jan sales so looks like I won't be doing any sales shopping on Boxing Day! There must have been something in the air as my sister also bought a £60 jumper/fleece thing in Foot Locker and she is normally the tightest person I know with money. I just keep telling myself the trainers are a Christmas Present to myself

The next few days will probably be spend indoors getting ready for Christmas Day with the exception of walking the dog so I'm expecting spending to be very low.

Hope everyone is emjoying the festive period!
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 31st Dec 18, 8:17 AM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    2019 Promises
    I haven't posted much in recent days not because I've fallen off the wagon but because there hasn't been much to post about. I've been squirreled away at my parents, thankfully not spending a huge amount other than on some makeup.

I have though in that time come up with some 2019 promises to make to myself and are my aims and objectives for 2019.

1. Get back into running
    2. Put 30 away each month into the Christmas fund so I have enough provisioned away for this time next year
    3. Put 30 a month into the weekend break fund for the summer
    4. Pay off at least 75% of my current debts which equals 4609.07
    5. Any extra money earnt through cashback, surveys etc to go into my emergency savings account.
    6. Post more on here. I haven't been terrible at posting but I feel I've not fully committed and need to be more accountable.

Excited to get a handle on my debts in 2019 and for what the year will hold for me.

Happy New Year everyone!
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 2nd Jan 19, 5:00 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    First day back at work today which was hard to get up for especially after spending two weeks at my parents. This also meant first day of new job! The girl I’m replacing leaves tomorrow so next week will be the real test.

Bought some breakfast and a coffee this morning which I really did need to perk me up, this came to £5.60 as I also got someone else a coffee too. Then spent £1.65 on some fruit and crisps at lunch.

Boyfriend is over tonight and I’m cooking a cornbeef hash which my grandparents make and is delicious. He said he’ll get the ingredients so no spend there.

Tomorrow and Friday should be NSDs as already have lunches and dinner etc ready to go.
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 4th Jan 19, 4:59 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Yesterday was a NSD so 1/31 for the month so far. Going to try and aim for 12 I think.

Today I spent 15.60 in T on some lunch and on a blouse for work. I didnít try the blouse on so Iíll try it tonight and if it doesnít fit take it back next week.

Tomorrow Iím going to shopping with my boyfriend but I have gift vouchers for River Island so will only look in there, especially if the blouse I bought today fits. Also want to buy some skin stuff from boots. Tried my sisters when I was home and loved it. I have £10 worth of points on my advantage card so going to use that to pay for it. Also need to put £50 cash into my bank that my Nan gave me when I left home. I hate having cash because I buy something and then I just fritter the change away. In the past this wouldnít have bothered me but since becoming more tuned in to MSE I will avoid cash at all costs!
    Last edited by ImpulseSpender; 04-01-2019 at 5:01 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

97Posts Today

1,822Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Follow Martin