Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 11th Oct 18, 4:21 AM
    • 150Posts
    • 388Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Curbing my Impulse Spending...
    • 11th Oct 18, 4:21 AM
    Curbing my Impulse Spending... 11th Oct 18 at 4:21 AM
    Hi everyone,

I have been stalking these forums for the past few days and thought I'd join and do a diary. I find "reporting in" makes me more accountable which in turn helps me to stay disciplined.

I have the following debt below which I am eager to pay off and not have the niggling feeling in the back of my mind. Plus as I'm 24 I seriously need to think about credit scores for mortgages etc.

Credit Card A 258.78 0% Interest - This will be paid off on 22nd of Oct
    Credit Card B 3144.96 0% Interest until 21/03/2021
    Credit Card C 3564.05 0% Interest until October 2021

My currently salary situation is a bit of an odd one. Before August my salary was 1900 per month however I am currently seconded to a project and have been in Australia since August which comes with an additional 1000 per month allowance meaning my salary per month is 2900. I am returning to the UK in two weeks where this allowance may potentially continue for another 3 months.

This additional allowance has been an actual god send and has allowed me to also start savings as well as paying off my debts. As my IF periods are for another 2-2 and a half years, I figured saving made sense.

My question is, if I am paying 100 each off card B and C each month and saving 300 a month, should I really be decreasing the amount I'm saving (say to 100 per month) and increasing the amount I pay off my debts (say to 200 off each debt per month)?

I'm really hoping my allowance will continue for the next 3 months and I should know by Friday if this is the case. When I'm on my normal salary of 1900, after bills and debts have been paid there isn't a huge amount left over however I definitely need to re-examine my spending because I know I'm a big spender. I have already started to re-examine my spending and there are a few areas I can cut costs.

I'm planning to update this diary every few days so I can discuss and use it to encourage me to cut my spending! Reading everyone else's diaries and success stories has also inspired me.

I've also started an anonymous blog to keep me super accountable which if you're interested can be found at wordpress and is called The Impulse Spender, it won't let me post the URL

Thanks for reading!

Impulse Spender
Page 2
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 18th Oct 18, 8:10 AM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    I checked YNAB tonight to see where my budget was at before I get paid tomorrow and rejig my budgets. Realised I still have 57.75 to budget so decided to pay extra off my FD credit card. 101.03 left to pay off on this card which will be done tomorrow once I'm paid

Spent 3.15 today on some snacks for this afternoon as I was starving at work and knew I couldn't last after lunch I need to start preparing some snacks to keep me going through the afternoons. I used to be quite good at this but I haven't been lately.
    FD CC - 258.78/258.78, Santander CC - 507/3883.17, MBNA CC - 760/3144.96, Savings - 400/5000
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 19th Oct 18, 6:35 AM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Woo today was payday!

I did some big debt busting activity today. Paid 101.03 off my FD CC meaning that is paid off. Also paid 400 off my MBNA card and 50 off my Santander. Its a good feeling to be able to update my signature and watch the numbers go down.

Also had a NSD which was good and budgeted out my salary for October and first half of November.

This weekend will be me getting ready to come back to the UK, packing and tidying and whatnot so will probably be pretty chilled.
    FD CC - 258.78/258.78, Santander CC - 507/3883.17, MBNA CC - 760/3144.96, Savings - 400/5000
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 22nd Oct 18, 1:18 AM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    I had some annoying news today, because I'm leaving Australia part way through the month, I am losing my living allowance. But because its already been paid for October I have to have an adjustment in my November pay to pay back the days I shouldn't be paid it for the end of October. I've tried to work it out and I think it should be about a 300/400 reduction which is annoying but inevitable. They said they can let me know the actual figure a few days into November.

I've done my budgeting for rest of October and up until I get paid (21st) in November and I have 300 left which I am hoping to keep free to cover the adjustment in November's salary. I think I can do it as I've budgeted for everything else. I just really need to think "Do I NEED this?" if I am tempted to spend.

I did have some spend days over the weekend as I wanted to buy some chocolates for the team out here and I needed to get some food as I didn't have much left.

I fly back to the UK tomorrow (woo!) which is going to be roughly a 30 hour journey including a lay over in HK. I am going to steer clear of duty free and just window shop I am hoping because I am travelling Tuesday and Wednesday shoul be NSDs.
    • ftbwannabe
    • By ftbwannabe 22nd Oct 18, 11:57 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 813 Thanks
    ftbwannabe
    Happy pay day, & well done on clearing a card! Amazing feeling, huh? And probably, by the time you read this, welcome back to the UK
    got the mortgage - now to clear the cards.
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 24th Oct 18, 5:04 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Thank you ftbwannabe!

Landed back in the UK this morning, jetlagged but so glad to be home. I was hoping for NSDs when I was travelling but due to a 7 hour layover in HK, I needed to buy food. I spent 39.25 which really isn't ideal but ah well. I had to put it on my Santander card as that doesn't inccur charges when I spent abroad but I have transferred money over to cover this spend so my debt level has stayed the same.

My mum's birthday tomorrow so we're going shopping, I budgeted 35 to get some jeans for work as my current ones I've worn a nice big hole between the thighs due to overuse My lovely, amazing nan has given me 100 cash to spend tomorrow when I go shopping. My plan is to pay the cash into my bank branch tomorrow so I'm not spending cash. I find whatever is left over in cash I end up frittering away.

I also thought I'd need to buy a friend a birthday present tomorrow too, I was planning on getting her some bits from Benefit as she likes their make up. However last month, one of their foundations spilt all over my bag so I complained on Twitter and they sent me a goody bag with several full sized products. I think there must have been almost 80 worth of goods in there! So I've decided to use the products they sent me for my friends birthday. I asked my mum if this was bad but she said no as I have the products already available and might aswell put them to good use and plus I'm on a budget. I feel a bit guilty but there's no point in me buying products when I already have some there.

Today I've mainly relaxed. Been trying to stay awake so decided to do some surveys on Qmee and earnt 2.49. Had to buy some wrapping paper and a birthday card for my mum. Her present is already paid for.
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 31st Oct 18, 2:48 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    The past week hasn't had any NSDs but it was all budgeted for which is good. I have gone over budget on coffees/teas from the local cafe which is annoying and something I need to get better at, going to start bringing in my own green tea bags so I'm not buying tea.

Found out there is a night out at the end of November which I'll need to book a hotel for and split with someone else. Thanks to YNAB its all budgeted for so I don't feel too guilty about going. I haven't been out with the people from work here since before I went to Australia so I'm really looking forward to it.

Earnt another 2 on Qmee since my last post bringing my total up to 7. Planning on increasing that up to 10 by Sunday. Going to cash that out along with 30 I have in cashback in my work's reward account then I can spend that on the rest of the Christmas presents I need to get.

Need to fully unpack from Oz so going to do that on Sunday and whilst doing that, get some stuff together for a good ebay clear out which will hopefully bring in some extra cash!

I have an interview for another role internally tomorrow. If I got this role it would be a huge step up along with a nice payrise. Really hoping I get it as it would speed up paying my debts off alot.
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 1st Nov 18, 7:10 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Interview went okay, felt like it was quite hard to tell. Should know if I've gotten to the next stage within the next 2 weeks.

Had a NSD today which was the first in a while and felt good! Going to do some more surveys tonight to try and get my Qmee balance up to 10 so I can withdraw.
    • eveningontheground
    • By eveningontheground 2nd Nov 18, 4:02 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    eveningontheground
    Thought I'd come and have a look at your diary too. Fingers crossed for your interview having been successful!

Do you find Qmee gives you a decent amount of surveys? I've joined Swagbucks but the intro survey keeps bugging out on me so I'm wanting to look elsewhere.
    CC1: 689.61/789.61 (started 29/10/18, last updated 31/10/18)
    CC2: 3120.00/1497.31 (started 29/10/18, last updated 12/11/18)

NOVEMBER CHALLENGES
    Make Up to 10 a Day November: 125/200 total
    Bring Lunch to Work November: 7/19 workdays
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 3rd Nov 18, 6:51 AM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 8,530 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi Impulse

Good luck with your diary. I love your username as it basically sums up my problems with money. I hope you get good news on the interview front. *Subscribes.
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 4th Nov 18, 9:03 AM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Hi Impulse

Good luck with your diary. I love your username as it basically sums up my problems with money. I hope you get good news on the interview front. *Subscribes.
    Originally posted by Munchin
    Thanks Munchin. I wanted a username that would best suit my spending habits and I am terrible at buying impulsively, although I am getting better!

Thought I'd come and have a look at your diary too. Fingers crossed for your interview having been successful!

Do you find Qmee gives you a decent amount of surveys? I've joined Swagbucks but the intro survey keeps bugging out on me so I'm wanting to look elsewhere.
    Originally posted by eveningontheground
    Thank you eveningontheground. I only really use Qmee, some days I find there are lots of surveys on there which is good but then there are the ocassional days when it seems like there's only 1 or 2. Last two weeks have been good on there, I think I made about 12-15. But so far, this weekend seems a bit slower. I don't like SBs, I find it screens me out of almost every survey.
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 5th Nov 18, 8:25 AM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    This weekend was very heavy on the spending. Friday night I went out for birthday dinner and drinks, managed to stick to around 50 for the whole night including dinner, drinks and train fare which was all budgeted for.

Saturday I went out for breakfast with my OH and spent 18 on our breakfast. Then I had to get an eye test and get new glasses which I had originally budgeted 200 for but because I needed to get the lenses thinned and some insurance on them this took it to 292 Had to re jiggle budgets on YNAB as I didn't want to take any money from money that still needed to be budgeted.

I then found 3 in a betting account so put on a 1 bet which returned me 59.41

Sunday was a quiet day, just popped to M for some fruit, veg and soup and spent 8.81. Flatmate then cooked me a lovely dinner as its my birthday today. Opened a card from my grandparents today and they'd given me 40 which is so lovely. At least the 100 extra spent on glasses has been accounted for now thanks to the bet and grandparents.

Working from home today so hoping for a NSD as I don't need to buy anything or really go out, always do better on WFH days as I can be a recluse and not leave the flat
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 9th Nov 18, 2:28 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    The past few days haven't been too heavy on spending. Managed to have a NSD on Monday which was good. Then the other few days needed to get a couple of food bits here and there.

I did have to put in 5 for my manager's leaving collection in work. I did it very reluctantly though as since I've come back from Oz she's been very off and awkward with me. She's not leaving exactly in the best terms, alot has gone on although nothing to do with me!!

Started up my contact lenses again today and so needed to pay 63 to get a 3 month supply. From December it will start as a DD again at 21.

Bad news is that I found out yesterday that I'll be down 439.30 in this months pay due to an over payment last month Still have 229 left on YNAB to be budgeted for with everything else budgeted for until payday. Plus I get 114 from my flatmate on Monday for her half of the bills. So I need to not dip into that 343 so I can be covered for next month.

Good news is that I got my new glasses today and I love them!!
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 12th Nov 18, 3:26 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Weekend was quiet, did a good flat clean and chilled out.

Caved and bought a Chinese on Saturday night. I'd been craving one all week and then after I ate it, it was very meh. I always get this with Chinese, it never lives up to my imagination so I don't think I'll bother in future.

NSD today! Will need to get some snacky bits tomorrow during lunch at work from T. But then hoping Wednesday and Thursday will be NSDs. Need to get my NSDs up ASAP.

Found out that my interview went well and I came across really well and that I'm in a good position. He's interviewing 2 external candidates this week but I've been told that unless they're super fantastic then I'm in with a good shot.

Not much going on this week but Mum is visiting at the weekend so I'm super excited for that!
    • mummypops
    • By mummypops 12th Nov 18, 9:01 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    mummypops
    Hi Impulse Spender, just thought I would drop by to say Welcome back to Blighty and fingers crossed for the new job.
    Best wishes
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 13th Nov 18, 8:01 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Thank you mummypops.

Still no news on the job but still looking positive.

Cashed out 22.78 from my work rewards cashback account which will help to cover the defecit in next months wages. Still have 9.70 still pending to be cashed in and still have some more Christmas presents to get so will wait until after Christmas to cash out again.
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 14th Nov 18, 9:13 AM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Decided to work out figures based on this month's pay being deducted over 400. It means end of November/December is going to be a very tight month especially as there are a couple of small bits of Christmas shopping I need to get and social occasions. Really really going to have to stick to my budget tight for this this month and next.

My YNAB free trial ends tomorrow so I've paid out for a subscription which is setting me back roughly 65. I wish there was the option to pay monthly for it. But I really do like YNAB and if I didn't have it I'd struggle sticking to a budget, I'm rubbish at managing spreadsheets. Plus I'm going to need it more than ever with the end of this month and half of next month being so tight!
    • charliedavis
    • By charliedavis 14th Nov 18, 9:30 AM
    • 400 Posts
    • 970 Thanks
    charliedavis
    Thanks for the mention of Nick True for YNAB, I tried it before and couldn't figure it out so going to give it another go. Spreadsheets are okay but not the same, especially if you have multiple accounts.
    -99,152 net worth - scary figure - my diary out of debt!
    Total debt currently stands at 78,812.91
    Get out of debt 2019 #39 - target 26,429 - current = 2395 3-6 month EF challenge #10 - currently at 1,421/10,500
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 15th Nov 18, 6:11 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    After my last semi negative post I decided to be proactive and see where I could save in this months current budget to help with next month's shortfall.

Rejigged budgets and I had budgeted 25 to buy a dress from Tesco and 12 to go to the cinema which I've now decided not to spend and just make do with a dress I already have for the work's night out. I've put that money into my budget for dining out as I have a friend's birthday meal on the 24th

I also have a few s in other categories like household and cosmetics that I won't use fully so they can be moved round too once I've reached the end of this month's budget on the 20th.

Feeling better now I've been productive about preparing for next month's tightened budget. At the end of the day I need to remember it could be a LOT worse. I've seen some really inspiring diaries on here and people have coped amazingly with some really bad bad situations.
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 19th Nov 18, 2:39 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Had a lovely weekend with my mum, thankfully spending wasn't too heavy. I just paid for a takeaway on Friday night for my mum, flatmate and me. This came to just under 50. Deliveroo managed to mess the order up though so I got 11 back in credit.

Changed my phone contract this morning meaning instead of paying 68 a month I'm now paying 48 and have a new phone. I was going to go sim only but I think my old phone will be kaput in 6 months and I wouldn't be able to afford to pay out for a brand new phone. I can also sell my old phone for 93.

Today and Saturday were NSD woo! Need to try and get some stuff on ebay this week.
    • ImpulseSpender
    • By ImpulseSpender 20th Nov 18, 4:59 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    ImpulseSpender
    Payday is tomorrow woo

Paid 60 off the MBNA debt
    Hoping to pay some more off tomorrow once Im paid and budgets have been calculated
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,006Posts Today

6,204Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin