Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • homeless9
    • By homeless9 4th Oct 18, 4:14 PM
    • 70Posts
    • 30Thanks
    homeless9
    Help me find an affordable place to buy a house
    • 4th Oct 18, 4:14 PM
    Help me find an affordable place to buy a house 4th Oct 18 at 4:14 PM
    Hi Everyone....

Prices in the South East, specifically within a 20 mile radius of Guildford, are too damn expensive. I have almost given up buying here. I can afford to buy a property up to the value of 220,000. Around here that basically buys you a 1 bedroom flat and not much more, which might be alright for some, but these apartments just don't cut it for me. I am single and have no ex-wife or kids - I can move anywhere in the UK. I would love to own a house with a garden. I have browsed online and come across nice new 2 and 3 bedroom homes under my budget, these properties are amazingly cheap to me in comparison to what you can get for your money around where I live - the problem is - I have no idea what the locations are like.....

If you guys and ladies have visited, lived in, or live in, a safe location that isn't in the middle of nowhere, in which 1 or 2 or even 3 bedroom homes can by purchased for under 220,000 - please let me know.....any locations within the UK are welcome....

Criteria:

- A safe location, somewhere without anti-social behaviour, somewhere where you can walk down the street and feel completely safe and at ease.

- A location that has typical UK town amenities such as a Gym, a local Supermarket, Parks, shops, railway stations..... I don't mind living in a City, I don't mind living in a medium-large sized town, but living in a village with no shops, gyms, railways, is not for me. I am 30 years old.

I am self employed and work from home. Location does not affect my work. The only thing I need is an internet connection and a nearby Post Office.
    Last edited by homeless9; 04-10-2018 at 8:34 PM.
Page 1
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 4th Oct 18, 4:18 PM
    • 10,337 Posts
    • 63,431 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    • 4th Oct 18, 4:18 PM
    • 4th Oct 18, 4:18 PM
    Are you currently working? What will you do for work when you move?
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 4th Oct 18, 4:24 PM
    • 1,961 Posts
    • 4,850 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    • 4th Oct 18, 4:24 PM
    • 4th Oct 18, 4:24 PM
    220k will get you a 3 bed semi in reasonable (ie not posh but not rough either) areas of most cities in the North and Midlands.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 4th Oct 18, 4:26 PM
    • 4,600 Posts
    • 8,795 Thanks
    Murphybear
    • 4th Oct 18, 4:26 PM
    • 4th Oct 18, 4:26 PM
    We live in Sherborne in Dorset which is a very desirable area. It's a fairly quiet area though but not too far from the coast

I had a look on Rightmove and there's some quite nice properties in your budget.

Once you move out of the South East/Home Counties you will be spoilt for choice.

I think you need to pin down the areas you want to live first. Or more importantly the areas you don't want to live
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 4th Oct 18, 4:29 PM
    • 11,552 Posts
    • 12,780 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 4th Oct 18, 4:29 PM
    • 4th Oct 18, 4:29 PM
    Would also help to know what your definition of "middle of nowhere" is, as different people's perspectives vary.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 4th Oct 18, 4:32 PM
    • 11,805 Posts
    • 15,831 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 4th Oct 18, 4:32 PM
    • 4th Oct 18, 4:32 PM
    Really think it's too vague a post.

You must have some requirements.

You're going to get tonnes of areas mentioned, and in each area there will be tens or hundreds (or more!) properties. You really need to have a list of must haves re the area, then same with the house.

Please don't add overseas into the mix just yet LOL.

I'll throw Newark into the hat. You should be able to get something there. It's apparently not quite as lovely as it once was, but I used to really like it there. Market town, river, shops, nightlife, easy London access if needed.
    2019 wins: Bottle of Prosecco; Popcorn Shed popcorn; Moisturising 'M&S Time Capsules'; Case of Boost Sport + 30 Just Eat voucher; Battle Proms tickets and hotel...
    • ukcarper
    • By ukcarper 4th Oct 18, 4:38 PM
    • 14,493 Posts
    • 18,293 Thanks
    ukcarper
    • 4th Oct 18, 4:38 PM
    • 4th Oct 18, 4:38 PM
    Quite a few in Bordon just over 20 miles from Guildford

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66035380.html
    Last edited by ukcarper; 04-10-2018 at 4:40 PM.
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 4th Oct 18, 4:43 PM
    • 2,727 Posts
    • 4,731 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    • 4th Oct 18, 4:43 PM
    • 4th Oct 18, 4:43 PM
    Glasgow, outskirts of - I'm looking at Stepps, can't afford it yet but that's my aim. Lots of similar places around.
    Slinkies 2018 Challenge - 0/80lb lost
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 4th Oct 18, 4:52 PM
    • 6,161 Posts
    • 9,687 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 4th Oct 18, 4:52 PM
    • 4th Oct 18, 4:52 PM
    Bury in Lancashire. There is a tram to Manchester from the centre of Bury.
    • BlackBird75
    • By BlackBird75 4th Oct 18, 5:07 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    BlackBird75
    How much money do you actually have?

You say you "can afford" 220k, but is that based on a mortgage?
    If so, the mortgage debt repayments will be based on the assumption of your current job.
    So where can you move to whilst keeping your job?
    • badger09
    • By badger09 4th Oct 18, 5:11 PM
    • 6,908 Posts
    • 6,520 Thanks
    badger09
    4 bed detached in Telford
    • BlackBird75
    • By BlackBird75 4th Oct 18, 5:13 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    BlackBird75
    Three bedroom semi-detached in Aleppo.
    • mdori003
    • By mdori003 4th Oct 18, 5:20 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    mdori003
    A lot of things to factor in, job being the most obvious - does it need to be commutable, does the industry exist at all outside of the SE?

If you really mean the whole UK I'm going to give a shout out to Northern Ireland. Especially if the brexit border issue is sorted in a beneficial way to the region. Although then again i wouldn't count on that.

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/belfast
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 4th Oct 18, 5:34 PM
    • 4,229 Posts
    • 7,580 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Peterborough, specifically Werrington Village. Very good commuter links, 55 minutes to Kings Cross in London on the train, has pretty much everything you could want, not in the middle of nowhere.

Please see here

or for whole of Peterborough, here
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Sanne
    • By Sanne 4th Oct 18, 5:50 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    Sanne
    Well my brother bought a big 5-bed detached house with huge garden (front and back), good local schools nearby, shops etc. for EUR 149,000 in Germany. There is even an Irish pub in town
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 4th Oct 18, 6:23 PM
    • 5,143 Posts
    • 1,971 Thanks
    knightstyle
    OP you need to come back with more info. on your requirements, town, city, country, sea, hills, walking, cycling, what do you want from the area?
    Plus how many bedrooms, near Main road trains, etc.
    Lots of lovely 4 bed detached houses in quiet areas up here in Lincolnshire.
    • homeless9
    • By homeless9 4th Oct 18, 8:12 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    homeless9
    Thanks. Will keep Sherborne in mind, though at first glance it possibly looks a bit too 'remote' for me.

Definitely affordable though.
    • homeless9
    • By homeless9 4th Oct 18, 8:15 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    homeless9
    How much money do you actually have?

You say you "can afford" 220k, but is that based on a mortgage?
    If so, the mortgage debt repayments will be based on the assumption of your current job.
    So where can you move to whilst keeping your job?
    Originally posted by BlackBird75
    Self Employed.
    • BlackBird75
    • By BlackBird75 4th Oct 18, 8:21 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    BlackBird75
    Self Employed.
    Originally posted by homeless9
    Self employed what?
    Where can you realistically find work?

If you've got a fairly good trade / profession, that can work anywhere, I would just start with cheap areas (e.g. Middlesbrough, Redcar etc).
    • homeless9
    • By homeless9 4th Oct 18, 8:27 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    homeless9
    Really think it's too vague a post.

You must have some requirements.

You're going to get tonnes of areas mentioned, and in each area there will be tens or hundreds (or more!) properties. You really need to have a list of must haves re the area, then same with the house.

Please don't add overseas into the mix just yet LOL.

I'll throw Newark into the hat. You should be able to get something there. It's apparently not quite as lovely as it once was, but I used to really like it there. Market town, river, shops, nightlife, easy London access if needed.
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    Thanks....

I edited the main post...added in some specifics....

1. I am just after somewhere that is not chavvy, a few chavs I can deal with, but not a herd of them.

2. I am young-ish, I am 30. I am after somewhere that is walking distance (30 minutes) from bars/pubs that are busy during weekends. Railway stations within 15 minutes drive, supermarkets within 8 minutes drive, cinema, leisure centre and shopping centre within 20 minutes drive.....doesn't need to be this specific, but you get the idea.

I don't want to end up in a village with none of these facilities and surrounded by countryside.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,512Posts Today

8,009Users online

Martin's Twitter