Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aaron.R
    • By Aaron.R 20th Sep 18, 11:45 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Aaron.R
    New iPhones
    • 20th Sep 18, 11:45 AM
    New iPhones 20th Sep 18 at 11:45 AM
    What are your opinions on new iPhones?
    Do they offer anything new or is it wiser just to buy older models that are dropping in price a bit now?
Page 3
    • its_all_over
    • By its_all_over 28th Oct 18, 9:02 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    its_all_over
    I might get an iphone one day if I get advanced dementia. Can't imagine any other reason why I would buy one.
    Originally posted by fred246
    Why do you feel the need to try and make an argument between iPhone and Android users? It seems like a really childish attitude to have, Fred.

Itís probably much more adult to realise that some people like iPhones with iOS and some people like phones with Android and they are both very good operating systems with strengths and weaknesses.

Isnít one of the forum rules to be nice to other posters? Maybe itís something to think about when thinking about posting in a trolling manner in a thread for the other operating systemís phone again .
    • fred246
    • By fred246 29th Oct 18, 12:47 AM
    • 1,561 Posts
    • 948 Thanks
    fred246
    This is a MONEY SAVING FORUM. If you have 2 products that do exactly the same but one is many times more expensive than the other then on a MONEY SAVING FORUM it would seem to make sense to buy the cheaper alternative which does exactly the same thing. If there was a thread entitled 'should I throw all my money in the bin' on a money saving forum you would say 'no that would be a bad idea'. In the same way on a money saving forum you would say 'no do not buy an iphone'.
    • thefonestuff
    • By thefonestuff 29th Oct 18, 4:50 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    thefonestuff
    The new iPhones are great devices, no doubt. But as mentioned above in the comments, they're a bit overpriced. Especially XS. I'd rather save money and go for XR since it offers almost the same features. And if I'm willing to splurge, I'd rather go for XS Max.

Phones like OnePlus 6T and Mate 20 Pro are sure give the new iPhones are run for their money, especially given their lower cost.
    ww.thefonestuff.com
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 29th Oct 18, 4:57 AM
    • 1,292 Posts
    • 1,001 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    This is a MONEY SAVING FORUM. If you have 2 products that do exactly the same but one is many times more expensive than the other then on a MONEY SAVING FORUM it would seem to make sense to buy the cheaper alternative which does exactly the same thing. If there was a thread entitled 'should I throw all my money in the bin' on a money saving forum you would say 'no that would be a bad idea'. In the same way on a money saving forum you would say 'no do not buy an iphone'.
    I think that is a very blinkered view. You can buy a brand new iPhone for £240 from Argos that will have the latest OS and should be supported software wise for a good few years and runs all the latest apps flawlessly and will be a more secure OS than anything else and after 2 years the phone will probably retain 50% of its value so in effect a brand new upto date iPhone would cost about £120 over 2 years. I would say that could be seen as money saving.
    I have an iPhone 4s which i bought second hand for £115 and must be 5 years old and still works.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 29th Oct 18, 7:54 AM
    • 2,908 Posts
    • 1,975 Thanks
    lee111s

So I assume you always buy the cheapest clothes? The cheapest food products? Live in the cheapest house that waa for sale or rent at the time?

Afterall, a house is a house right? It provides shelter and warmth, why spend more than the absolute minimum?
    • Steptoe rides again
    • By Steptoe rides again 29th Oct 18, 8:26 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Steptoe rides again
    I have the iPhone x and it has few features I like (camera, face recognition) but in all honesty my old iPhone 6s+ was a better all rounder I think. I really don't like the size of iPhone X and wish I would have waited for for the XS version.

Only other thing I would say, be careful where you buy from I'm having hell with Tesco Mobile regarding a faulty iPhone SE that's a couple of months old because Tesco cant repair iPhones they only supply a replacement one and if there is even the slightest of damage they reject the warranty claim stating Apple wont accept the damaged / faulty phone back so Tesco refuse to do anything.
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 29th Oct 18, 9:29 AM
    • 1,292 Posts
    • 1,001 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    I have the iPhone x and it has few features I like (camera, face recognition) but in all honesty my old iPhone 6s+ was a better all rounder I think. I really don't like the size of iPhone X and wish I would have waited for for the XS version.

Only other thing I would say, be careful where you buy from I'm having hell with Tesco Mobile regarding a faulty iPhone SE that's a couple of months old because Tesco cant repair iPhones they only supply a replacement one and if there is even the slightest of damage they reject the warranty claim stating Apple wont accept the damaged / faulty phone back so Tesco refuse to do anything.
    Originally posted by Steptoe rides again
    Aren't the X and xs the same size?
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 29th Oct 18, 11:35 AM
    • 10,133 Posts
    • 7,754 Thanks
    pmduk

Originally posted by Steptoe rides again
    Damage to a handset invalidates all of the manufacturer's warranties that I've seen. There may possibly be some unusual exceptions, however.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 29th Oct 18, 4:34 PM
    • 16,733 Posts
    • 143,367 Thanks
    JackieO
    The price of the new Iphones is extortionate in the UK my DGS lives in NYC and he has just paid $800 last Friday for the brand new IPhone X. My DD has bought and brought home for me an IPhone 7 which cost roughly in UK currency around £380 I am quite happy with that price as its about £460 here
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 29th Oct 18, 5:05 PM
    • 1,292 Posts
    • 1,001 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    The price of the new Iphones is extortionate in the UK my DGS lives in NYC and he has just paid $800 last Friday for the brand new IPhone X. My DD has bought and brought home for me an IPhone 7 which cost roughly in UK currency around £380 I am quite happy with that price as its about £460 here
    Originally posted by JackieO
    The iPhone X is now £799 in john Lewis.
    • its_all_over
    • By its_all_over 29th Oct 18, 7:54 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    its_all_over
    Yes, Fred, that might be your opinion, and while this whole site is centred in money saving you are posting in the section relating to advice about mobile phones.

Making comments that insinuate fellow forum members have a mental illness is not in line with the sites ethos or the rules. You really should reassess the way you interact with people and why you feel the need to throw out unnecessary insults.

Also Fred, whatís the difference between buying a iPhone for £800-£900 or buying an Android phone for £800-£900? Why do you only feel the need to insult iPhone buyers?
    • fred246
    • By fred246 29th Oct 18, 10:42 PM
    • 1,561 Posts
    • 948 Thanks
    fred246
    Also Fred, whatís the difference between buying a iPhone for £800-£900 or buying an Android phone for £800-£900? Why do you only feel the need to insult iPhone buyers?
    Originally posted by its_all_over
    Google allows any manufacturer to use android. So the manufacturers compete. Apple do not allow anyone to use IOS so stifle any competition so there is no competition. So the hardware of a £800 Android phone will very much always be superior to the hardware in a £800 iphone. So the only reason to buy an iphone is for the software. I can learn to use any software so have no need to buy an iphone. I suppose if android was completely appalling and incredibly difficult to use I might buy an iphone - but it isn't.
  • archived user
    All very subjective, checkboxing and judgemental.

What’s important is buy what you want at the price you can afford.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 30th Oct 18, 1:34 AM
    • 1,561 Posts
    • 948 Thanks
    fred246
    Maybe on a money saving forum you could buy a device that does the job you want it to do for the least amount of money.
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 30th Oct 18, 4:44 AM
    • 1,292 Posts
    • 1,001 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    Maybe on a money saving forum you could buy a device that does the job you want it to do for the least amount of money.
    That anology could be given to anything. A £20 ring would do the same job as a £2000 ring. A.£10k car could do the same job as a £30k car. A 40 grand house could do the job of a £300,000 house. I could go on!
  • archived user
    Its a money saving website that does not have limits on what you can buy and how much money you can spend on an item. Itís there primarily to give its readers advice and tips so they have as much information to make a free informed decision. That same ethos applies to the forum of the website.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 30th Oct 18, 7:41 AM
    • 10,133 Posts
    • 7,754 Thanks
    pmduk
    That's why this debate will never resolve satisfactorily for everyone. I'm not an Apple fan, but I'm equally critical of anyone desperately anxious to buy a new Samsung/HTC Android handset, just because it's new.

Perhaps it's the headless rush down the road of consumerism I dislike, but it saddens me and so often it's people who can't afford it get themselves into financial problems because they're seduced by marketing hype that they need these products.

I'm ashamed to say I once worked in marketing, but never again.
  • archived user
    Erm like anything in life people make choices that differ from other people. There is nothing shocking or disturbing that people can get into debt if they donít keep their finances in check.

I never assume that when people buy something that I donít see any value in that there is something inherently wrong with them or know what their financial standing is. However what I will do is listen to what they say and give advice on what they have asked. If through conversation they make contradictory statements then I would dig deeper and maybe suggest something different from what they originally asked for.
    • zippygeorgeandben
    • By zippygeorgeandben 30th Oct 18, 7:45 PM
    • 1,005 Posts
    • 1,392 Thanks
    zippygeorgeandben
    I quite liked reading this thread until it become childish.
    Savings as of May 2019

Savings account 1 - £8572.87
    Savings account 2 - £2000.00
    Current account - £6249.30
    Total - £16,822.17
    • julianaray
    • By julianaray 31st Oct 18, 7:10 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    julianaray
    The camera is great I think and the display is marvelous. Its a good phone but as there are many phones in the market other phone might have more features then this with much lower cost.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

162Posts Today

2,067Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin