Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jm90
    • By Jm90 29th Aug 18, 3:16 PM
    • 117Posts
    • 46Thanks
    Jm90
    Landlord wants more money
    • 29th Aug 18, 3:16 PM
    Landlord wants more money 29th Aug 18 at 3:16 PM
    Ok so in February myself, husband and children moved over 2.5hrs from our home town.
    To a private rented house, all done via an estate agent.

At the start of the tenancy we paid feb, march & april rent upfront and another month upfront as a deposit.

We were told it would be a 12month tenancy however it was for 6 months, which we didnt realsie until we got here and signed for the house.

We then paid , May, June & July upfront which is nearly 2500, which was fine, we had it and its nice to be paid up and not worry about it. However, it is not in the agreement, we just did it as felt it was right for us.

We had a check at the home after 3 months here, all was fine and happy, estate agent offered us to renew our tenancy at the end of 6months to a 12month tenancy.
    She send it out, signed and everything.
    We took our part back to be told the landlord doesnt want it to be 12months incase he needs the house back (lives away)
    So changed it their end to 6months
    I have the original here for 365days signed.
    Never had a revised 6month one sent out.

We have had a lot of business problems, being stung for nearly 20k, and at one point wondered how on earth we were going to put food on the table.

August i paid 1 months rent.
    So this month, on the 1st i was going to pay another month, until we are in a position to pay more in advance.
    Ive just recieved an email stating the landlord wants 3 months in advance and because August is paid, can we now pay September & October.

I'm really worried, im going to try get it up together, however I'm so worried if i can't will he make us leave?
    We have other things to pay and I'm not sure what to do.
    We have never been late or behind, only early and more than expected.

I just dont know where i stand if i say i cant afford to pay this time around more than required?
Page 7
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 14th Oct 18, 4:02 PM
    • 16,451 Posts
    • 22,738 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    I've looked at other housing in the area and there is nothing with what we need. This is a 5/6bed.
    For similar money I can't find anything.
    Plus I'm 9weeks off having baby, 101 things to do before then as you can imagine. The whole way they have gone about it really pi**es me off to be honest.
    Just felt it all stemmed from us not paying 3x rent upfront for the rest of our time here.
    Thanks all I will let them know that I am not willing to accept the offer.
    Originally posted by Jm90
    I would WRITE to them (email fine, but send via post too) thanking them for their letter, but pointing out that the tenancy ends August 2019 as per the tenancy agreement signed by them/the landlord. Attach a scan of it.

Say that if they can find a suitable similar property in the area for the same price, then you will be willing to move out by XX November, but only when your deposit is returned in full, and an additional 3000 transferred via bank transfer to your account for the inconvenience.

State that they have 7 days to accept this offer otherwise given you are heavily pregnant, you will be remaining in the property until the end of the tenancy in August 2019.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • Okrib
    • By Okrib 15th Oct 18, 9:18 AM
    • 164 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Okrib
    I am sure the landlord will end up paying significantly more than he has offered.

You have a tenancy until next August and compelling personal reasons to not want to move at this point in time.

How much would you accept to move? Take that figure, add 25% for negotiation, and then submit a counter offer - along with an acceptable date for you to move by.

Alternatively, just continue to pay the rent until your tenancy ends.
    • Jm90
    • By Jm90 15th Oct 18, 6:21 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Jm90
    Thanks all for your advice,

Im not sure how to quote on here but we only paid three months up front for the first 6 months because we could afford too. However, they knew full well this was not how it would always be. Which is why it wasn't written in the tenancy.

I emailed them the other day explaining our circumstances, the length of our tenancy and that I am pregnant/not wanting to move and that all matters regarding this issue I would like via email/post
    I also asked for the landlords contact details.

(I also called and asked for his details, which one of the office girls said she couldn't give us, and the manager would call back. She didn't. )

They did not reply to my email answering any of my questions only asking if we had received the letter from the landlord and what was our decision as he needs to know.

So I will write another email taking on all the points from the latest posts as they obviously just ignore any emails they don't like.

I will also post it.

Thank you.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 15th Oct 18, 10:06 PM
    • 7,947 Posts
    • 2,845 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    That's completely irrelevant to the OP, CT.
    Originally posted by quantumlobster

It`s about a landlord that wants more money.
    • quantumlobster
    • By quantumlobster 16th Oct 18, 4:18 AM
    • 485 Posts
    • 1,063 Thanks
    quantumlobster
    It`s about a landlord that wants more money.
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    And completely irrelevant to the OP.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 16th Oct 18, 2:53 PM
    • 7,947 Posts
    • 2,845 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    OP, I wouldn`t bother writing back and forth, just pay monthly, and move out when you are ready/ the contract says.
    • Jm90
    • By Jm90 3rd Nov 18, 11:10 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Jm90
    Hey all, thought I would give you all the latest update and wanted to say thank you so much for all the advice and support. It meant so much.

LATEST EMAIL

'We have received an e-mail from the landlord this morning stating they will be looking to rent a property in the area and will be happy for you to stay at XXX

If the landlords tenancy goes well they may look to stay in rented accommodation. We will review this in August. '

The only time they have ever acknowledged that we have until August, so I am pleased.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 4th Nov 18, 12:38 AM
    • 4,604 Posts
    • 8,805 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Great news, I am so happy for you

Hopefully you can now relax and look forward to your baby. Let us know how it goes and whether it's boy or girl
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

333Posts Today

4,709Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We hope this'll really shake things up, to create a sea change for those with mental health issues https://t.co/yUTgRVzHeW

• RT @IsabelHardman: This is really good. For all the stuff about noisy rows over the past few days, it?s worth remembering that a lot of abu?

• This is why I wrote the guide to financial abuse. It's tough to know when it's happening to you. It's also worth? https://t.co/XGI2sI7hOU

• Follow Martin