Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 15th Aug 18, 10:18 AM
    • 397Posts
    • 199Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    Virgin Media to hit customers with 4.5% price hike - MSE News
    • 15th Aug 18, 10:18 AM
    Virgin Media to hit customers with 4.5% price hike - MSE News 15th Aug 18 at 10:18 AM
    Virgin Media has announced it is hiking prices for broadband, phone and TV customers by an average 4.5% - with bills set to rise from October or November...

Read the full story:
    'Virgin Media to hit customers with 4.5% price hike'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havent already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 2
    • leew
    • By leew 16th Aug 18, 3:23 PM
    • 610 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    leew
    Anyone got their letters yet ?
    Originally posted by AndyPK
    Got mine today, will be ringing them tomorrow saying I want out.

I only took out my current dealbabfew months ago
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 16th Aug 18, 3:56 PM
    • 4,143 Posts
    • 2,389 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I got my letter today. Phoned to ask what was the best deal and they offered 3 off (price of the increase)Until Aug I had been getting a 7 loyalty discount so the price increase means a 10/mth increase in my bill =120/yr. Can't afford that so will phone retentions tomorrow. Looking at NOW Broadband deal but that goes up to 37/mth after 1 yr for 53Mb and broadband only.
    M
    Originally posted by morgana
    They all go up after the introductory offer, simply move again if they won't give you a deal in 12 months time.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 16th Aug 18, 4:32 PM
    • 3,815 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    AndyPK
    I think the idea is to get off the virgin network and onto the open reach network, and then nice and easy to jump between suppliers.

I see plusnet are doing a deal with no rise for 18 months. More money that NOW though
    • Rev
    • By Rev 16th Aug 18, 6:05 PM
    • 3,026 Posts
    • 2,737 Thanks
    Rev
    I only renewed my contract last month. The price hike takes my 200mb BB up to 25. Which is pretty much what Id pay elsewhere for a lot lower speed. So usually if call and cancel but Im not going to bother.

I did call and complain though and theyve given me a free month.
    Sigless
    • leew
    • By leew 16th Aug 18, 9:51 PM
    • 610 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    leew
    I only renewed my contract last month. The price hike takes my 200mb BB up to 25. Which is pretty much what Id pay elsewhere for a lot lower speed. So usually if call and cancel but Im not going to bother.

I did call and complain though and theyve given me a free month.
    Originally posted by Rev
    Good to know. I'll use rhis to haggle mine down as I only have broadband and it will rise to over 26 and thats for the 70mb!
    • chiny
    • By chiny 18th Aug 18, 9:47 AM
    • 143 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    chiny
    I only renewed my contract last month. The price hike takes my 200mb BB up to 25.
    Originally posted by Rev
    200 Mb/s for 22 (pre-hike) ? That is impressively low. Mine is 35 for 200 MB/s pre-hike, including a junk-call-infested phone line. How'd you get the 22 ? And a free month pays for much of the increase during the rest of your contract tie-in.

And of course, VM do have a relatively new system, unlike BT who had a pole fall down last week, near me. Looked rotted at the base when I took a look. Not to mention those lovely green copper wires...
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 18th Aug 18, 10:04 AM
    • 3,838 Posts
    • 2,017 Thanks
    MABLE
    Very pleased with my outcome. They cancelled the increase and decreased my package by 2.00 a month. I get free Sky Cinema HD for 12 months (because of uKTV issues). Also 200 MB broadband, Landline which is never used or answered and the full TV package. Total cost 63.00 per month.
    • dazedandconfused_123
    • By dazedandconfused_123 18th Aug 18, 10:54 AM
    • 170 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    dazedandconfused_123
    HELP!

Was on the phone on hold to them for 22 mins 17 seconds and someone hung up on me!
    Trying again, but may be hung up on again?

How would you feel?

Does anyone have a complaints email address for VM HO, please?
    Thanks to all posters for your never ending help and support

• Marvel1
    • By Marvel1 18th Aug 18, 7:17 PM
    • 4,198 Posts
    • 4,666 Thanks
    Marvel1
    "Free speed upgrades"
    • studentsaver_88
    • By studentsaver_88 20th Aug 18, 12:51 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    studentsaver_88
    Worth speaking to disconnections as they gave me 4 quid off my broadband
    • MidlandsGlory
    • By MidlandsGlory 20th Aug 18, 3:58 PM
    • 889 Posts
    • 3,741 Thanks
    MidlandsGlory
    Really annoyed now! why should I pay for their spat with other channels?

I only need broadband, I have the phone line only so foreign 'Microsoft engineers' can contact me to tell me they need to access my PC. Literally no one else calls.

going to cancel the phone. Broadband move is more difficult as our old Blueyonder email boxes are very widely used, would be a nightmare to terminate. How easy/reliable is it to leave and keep email addresses?
    • Rev
    • By Rev 20th Aug 18, 4:06 PM
    • 3,026 Posts
    • 2,737 Thanks
    Rev
    200 Mb/s for 22 (pre-hike) ? That is impressively low. Mine is 35 for 200 MB/s pre-hike, including a junk-call-infested phone line. How'd you get the 22 ? And a free month pays for much of the increase during the rest of your contract tie-in.

And of course, VM do have a relatively new system, unlike BT who had a pole fall down last week, near me. Looked rotted at the base when I took a look. Not to mention those lovely green copper wires...
    Originally posted by chiny

Yeah, in all honesty I don't really know how I got it that low, I was paying 25 going up to 30, called and cancelled and got a call back. I explained I wasn't prepared to pay more ad I could get vodafone for 25, so he offered me it for 22.24 for 18 months.

When renewal is due I always look around and have a limit in mind 25 was this years so the price rise takes it to that 25 and in all honesty I don't think I'd get the 22 again if I cancelled.
    Sigless
    • Buzby
    • By Buzby 20th Aug 18, 6:49 PM
    • 8,201 Posts
    • 3,011 Thanks
    Buzby
    HELP!

Was on the phone on hold to them for 22 mins 17 seconds and someone hung up on me!
    Trying again, but may be hung up on again?

How would you feel?

Does anyone have a complaints email address for VM HO, please?
    Originally posted by dazedandconfused_123
    There is no complaints email address. You need to snail mail a letter, and they’ll phone you back.
    • Pirnmill
    • By Pirnmill 26th Aug 18, 4:50 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Pirnmill
    Do you have to have received the email before phoning them?

Thanks
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 26th Aug 18, 4:56 PM
    • 1,347 Posts
    • 2,316 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    The T&C's that people agree to says otherwise.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Yup, this sort of thing is a complete joke.
    • Futuristic
    • By Futuristic 26th Aug 18, 5:17 PM
    • 805 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    Futuristic
    Do you have to have received the email before phoning them?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Pirnmill
    Wondering same, no email or letter yet.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 26th Aug 18, 5:50 PM
    • 3,815 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    AndyPK
    I blagged it last week. As the nowtv offer was ending I rang up and said I'm disappointed with these latest rises. VM said it's annoying when you receive that letter.

I cancelled. But worried they have tied me into 12 months linerent as I'm taking my number with me.
    • alexanderdewar
    • By alexanderdewar 26th Aug 18, 6:13 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    alexanderdewar
    Was going to go up to 37 so range them up and got it reduced to 26 for 6 months then 30.
    • Retro girl
    • By Retro girl 30th Aug 18, 11:12 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Retro girl
    We were out of contract, so I checked the MSE broadband comparison tool and found a deal with Talk Talk for 24.99 per month. Told retentions this (they specifically asked what deal we had seen) and they offered us a basic TV package with fibre and phone for 32.99 including some inclusive calls, they also suggested we change the account holder from my husband's name to my name to get 50 credit on both accounts. We received a brand new TIVO box as it's considered a new account with the latest features such as recording 6 programmes (while watching a 7th), and much quicker than before. Plus if you refer any friends to switch to Virgin you can both receive 50 credit. So it's definitely worth haggling especially if you're out of contract, we'll be saving over 600 a year with the extra credits!
    • curl girl
    • By curl girl 31st Aug 18, 8:45 AM
    • 3,908 Posts
    • 38,730 Thanks
    curl girl

Originally posted by chiny
    #227#
    #227*
    One removes call barring , the other adds it.
    Try from your virgin landline and it should eliminate some nuisance calls.

My package has gone up to 78 per month which I need to reduce, any advice welcome please.
    Tia.
    curl girl with a space - even though there is no space in my cupboard!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,133Posts Today

7,381Users online

Martin's Twitter