Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 7th Jul 18, 8:20 PM
    • 332Posts
    • 1,858Thanks
    Robin09
    Back to try again..
    • 7th Jul 18, 8:20 PM
    Back to try again.. 7th Jul 18 at 8:20 PM
    Good evening,

I come on here to read the diaries pretty much every day, such inspiring people on here! I did have a very short lived diary last year but have come back now as a new member to start afresh.

We are on a DMP and have been since February 2016. Our debt when we started were just under 30000 and as of this month is just under 18000. I am hoping one day soon we may be brave enough to go self managed.

A bit about us. DH and myself both work. DH is full time and my hours are varied part time hours. We have two beautiful children, DS 14 and DD 5.

As I said I one day hope to go self managed. To be fair, I am a bit of a wimp and like the one payment we make but also do not like that we cannot make overpayments if we wish..

Budgeting wise, I have always tried my best at this. DH on the other hand has taken a long time to get his head around it all, so for many years I have just been playing catch up on what he has spent and re jigging things as we go along. But, at the beginning of the year I tried a different budgeting technique that has worked so well and DH has stuck to and has admitted is easy! So much so, that the last few months we have saved money and had money left in the bank at the end of each month.

My plan is to continue to save and at some point go self managed and start over paying our debts and get it paid of sooner and to get on with our life without debt.

Please join my journey if you wish.

Robin. X
Page 9
    • jwil
    • By jwil 24th Oct 18, 8:25 AM
    • 10,651 Posts
    • 37,772 Thanks
    jwil
    Twins, how lovely!

Hope you enjoyed the cake
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 24th Oct 18, 6:41 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 1,858 Thanks
    Robin09
    Thanks Jwil, the cake was delicious and although I have only seen photos so far, the twins are adorable! Good healthy sizes too and all are doing well. It's a bitter sweet time though as she herself is a twin, but her twin sister passed away nearly 12 years ago after a car accident. I think of her often, but times like this always makes it seem more unfair that she's missed out on so much. We are all excited to meet them though, they are super cute.

Today DD had to come into work with me for a bit, she is never overjoyed at coming in but she was real good, and sat doing her colouring and listening to music on my phone. We popped to see my parents afterwards and had planned to go for a walk afterwards but as we were leaving, my ankle gave way! I shouldn't have drove really, as pushing the pedals was agony but we got home okay. Been hobbling around since then. It's happened a few times lately and I'm not sure what I have done to it, hoping it will feel better tomorrow.

Tomorrow I do have to pop into work again for a little while but will also take DD pottery painting too, she does love doing that and DS has plans to be out with his friend. Still have 13 of my weekly money so that is plenty to cover it.

Hope everyone is well.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 25th Oct 18, 1:38 PM
    • 10,651 Posts
    • 37,772 Thanks
    jwil
    That's sad

Hope your ankle is ok.
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 25th Oct 18, 6:38 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 1,858 Thanks
    Robin09
    It is Jwil, and I realised it's actually nearly 13 years! Wow, cannot believe that long has passed by already. She was just 17 and I often wonder what she would be like now.

My ankle is still iffy, have put a tubigrip on which is helping. Quickly popped into work this morning, luckily not much to do as DD was bored going in again. She enjoyed Pottery painting though and my best friend and her two came too so was nice to all go out together. The rest of my weekly money covered the Pottery and a cup of tea for us both and some juices for the girls. They had a nice play in the park area afterwards. DS has had his friend over for the day, music was so loud when I got back, hope they haven't annoyed the neighbours with it all day

Did spend 10.35 to book train tickets for tomorrow, as we are off out shopping. I do have a family and friends card so did save over 8 on the fare though, so I only got 10 weekly money out for this week to cover it. We are meeting my niece there who is going to take DS clothes shopping while I take DD shopping for some new shoes. My parents got a refund a few weeks ago and kindly gave DS 100 towards it, as he really does need some new bits, he's shot up again. I have the money I need in the savings to get the bits we need, hopefully get some ideas for Christmas while we are out too
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 26th Oct 18, 7:11 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 1,858 Thanks
    Robin09
    I am tired and my ankle is so painful after todays shopping trip, think I will have to go get it looked at.

So, was quite a spendy day. I took out 70 and also had my 10 weekly money and I only came home with 3.40 but DD got her new shoes, some bits of clothes etc. I got myself some new trousers for work and some boxers for DH. Plus lunch for 4 of us (I paid for my niece to say thank you) and 3 birthday presents, so not to bad I guess. Would have bought home a little more but we had an hour to wait for the next train so we ended up in a dessert bar, although I just had a cup of tea and the DC shared a sundae, it was still another 9.

DS did well, and bought money home for some more bits. My niece used her student discount card and got him some good savings. He's happy with all the bits he got and I got some of his clothes that didn't fit him anymore

Weird thing today is DH mum ringing to say she has had a few letters through the post there for him of one of our creditors. Not sure why, will go find out tomorrow what they are as we are off to meet the twins
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 28th Oct 18, 7:04 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 1,858 Thanks
    Robin09
    Went to meet the twins yesterday, they are so beautiful, and settling in well

Decided to sort the attic out when we got home oh my, what a load of junk most of it was. Took me near enough the whole day and some of this morning. But we had bought new storage boxes with lids, so everything we've kept is easier to get to and packed away neatly. But, it wasn't until DS emerged from his bedroom to say he was hungry that we realised how late it was and that we hadn't sorted any dinner so we ended up having a takeaway

Also bought pumpkins yesterday so quite a bit of unbudgeted spending. I also forgot to order a slot for our shopping, luckily we had enough here to have a lovely gammon roast today anyway as shopping is not coming until tomorrow. Thought I had best add some Halloween sweets incase anyone turns up, some years we get a few but some years, none at all.

Hope everyone has had a nice weekend.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 29th Oct 18, 8:59 AM
    • 10,651 Posts
    • 37,772 Thanks
    jwil
    Glad you met the twins and had a good weekend
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 31st Oct 18, 1:43 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 1,858 Thanks
    Robin09
    Happy Halloween,

A few busy days with work, visiting friends and family (more cuddles with the twins ) and getting stuff done at home. DC back to school tomorrow, thankfully as DD is fed up having to come to work with me. Although she was pleased when my boss gave her a bag of sweets and a few pounds today to go in her halloween bag.

I am taking DD trick or treating tonight. She has never been before and is very excited. We are meeting up with my best friends partner and the girls so will all go together.

Haven't spent any money this week, helped by not having any . Pay day today though, have not had chance to do budget for the month yet, so will get that done when they are back at school tomorrow.

Hope everyone is well.
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 1st Nov 18, 11:40 AM
    • 332 Posts
    • 1,858 Thanks
    Robin09
    It's so quiet!! I do love the holidays and having them home but it's been nice today to be able to clean and tidy without them making a mess behind me and being able to open the windows without them moaning it's too cold DD couldn't wait to get back, DS grunted at me on the way out when I told him to have a nice day

Budget done for the month, its quite tight as DH had a few short days due to the weather, but everything (I hope) is budgeted for, including extra petrol for a couple days out that are planned this month, plus birthdays etc. Had to pop to town this morning to post my nephews birthday card, will give him his present when I see him next weekend.

I have also budgeted 10 per week to go in a sealed pot, going to do this on any month the budget allows. I have also decided to do the Christmas vouchers again, I have done them before and I have missed having them this year. Also received my Tesco vouchers today, 72 so that will do our Christmas food shop.

Also, we are all so excited because DH has now got us tickets to go see Elf the Musical next month, free gift through work again. Amazing, and I am so grateful as it's not something in our price range. It's Christmas next month
    • jwil
    • By jwil 2nd Nov 18, 9:06 AM
    • 10,651 Posts
    • 37,772 Thanks
    jwil
    Tickets to Elf sound great, especially as a freebie
    • liselle
    • By liselle 2nd Nov 18, 10:42 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    liselle
    I've had a DMP with Stepchange for a long time(long story but it's working for me) and I have occasionally made overpayments,having talked to them first about it.I didn't have to go into great details,just said that I'd received a cash gift from a family member(true.)
    Very best wishes for your debt free journey, you're doing well so far.
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 2nd Nov 18, 10:44 AM
    • 7,187 Posts
    • 27,687 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Lol at DS grunting at you....mine does that too, must be a boy thing!

Have a lovely day x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: 4700.00 Lloyds: 8800.00 BC: 405.51 Cap One: GONE
    June LTW 4/19 ~ June NSD 1/5
    PAYDBX 2019 #041 PD 3217.41/5604.30
    Savings for Christmas 250.40/500 ~ EF 55/500
    20p Savers 2019 2 Savers 2019 50p Savers 2019 SPC 12 2019 #003
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 2nd Nov 18, 12:59 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 1,858 Thanks
    Robin09
    We cannot wait, Jwil I really appreciate getting these tickets to events that otherwise we wouldn't be able to afford. Obviously, we will still have travel/food costs but these are doable. I have just been looking at possibly exchanging some of my Tesco vouchers for pizza vouchers to use when we go. Not sure yet though.

Thank you Liselle that is good to know that SC have allowed you to do overpayments occasionally. Ours is slowly going down, but is something I would like to do when the budget allows.

Purplemumof2, oh the joys of boys it just seems to be me he grunts at, I suppose it's good that he's polite to everyone else. He had a sulk the other day and tried to slam the door, but my shoe was in the way and totally ruined his moment, he stormed off and I couldn't stop laughing which annoyed him even more

Back to work on my own today, so much easier to get stuff done but I am grateful that I am able to take DD with me, when needed. Popped to see my parents but they were just on their way out, so didn't stay long. My mum gave me a money tin though, so have asked to join the sealed pot challenge on here.

Spent some money from the savings today. Ordered books for DD for her birthday and Christmas, plus some for nephews and nieces.
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 3rd Nov 18, 9:37 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 1,858 Thanks
    Robin09
    Didn't sleep well last night, so was up late for work this morning, didn't have time to have any breakfast either. Then had to come straight home and pick up DD to take her to a party. I was so hungry that I ended up buying myself some food and a drink. Put all my change in the poppy appeal pot. So I have 10 left of my weekly money.

Shopping came a bit over this week, as I ordered some smelly sets for christmas in the half price offers.

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend.
    SPC 076
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 4th Nov 18, 6:57 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 1,858 Thanks
    Robin09
    Another bad night's sleep, coughing again so have had a nice chilled day at home. Prepped the roast and then had a nice long bath. DD spent most of the afternoon in the den she made in her room. Caught up on the diaries on here, and started reading some new ones. I do not comment often on others but I do love reading them, I think you are all amazing Then we all watched a film together after dinner - Elf

Went on to rearrange DS's haircut as we've double booked that day to see they've raised their prices from 9 to 15 for under 16s there is not a chance he will go anywhere else, so will have to just budget that in from now on. This is with the main barber who is appointment only, there are others who work there but DS is very particular about this sort of thing and has gone months before without having his hair cut when the man was away and not around to do it. At least I realised before I sent him with the wrong money.

Only one of the smelly sets arrived with my shopping, will try again next time. Have finally started to get some ideas for gifts for everyone we buy for, just need to actually get on and do it.

Hope everyone has had a nice weekend.
    SPC 076
    • WelshKitty85
    • By WelshKitty85 4th Nov 18, 8:08 PM
    • 931 Posts
    • 7,923 Thanks
    WelshKitty85
    Sorry you're not feeling well. My FIL introduced me to warm lemonade for a cough. It doesn't work miracles but can give a little relief. I buy the cheap 17p bottles when I need it and just pop it in a mug in the microwave to warm.
    Enough is enough...
    29,603 (22/7/18) 23,599.06
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 4th Nov 18, 9:20 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 1,858 Thanks
    Robin09
    Thank you WelshKitty, I have never heard of that before, got to be nicer than warm ribena I used to be given at school . I have neither lemonade nor a microwave but will give that a try and heat up on the hob another night on the sofa for me, I can prop myself up better and I don't wake everyone else up, but it can get very tiring.
    SPC 076
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 5th Nov 18, 8:47 AM
    • 332 Posts
    • 1,858 Thanks
    Robin09
    A morning of mixed emotions. Woke up to hear that there has been a bad accident involving a motorbike and there has been a fatality. On the same road and time I know my nephew travels to work on his bike. I felt sick with worry and lots of phone calls and getting DH to go and check his bike was at work. He is there safe! I cried after with relief that he is okay, but I am so sad that there is a family going through the heartbreak, as I know the devastation it causes families .

Have a rare Monday at home, no work or meetings so planning on getting the house tidied, it's so much quicker to do now I've got rid of so much stuff. But my ankle has gone again this morning, so hobbling around again.

DD back to athletics tonight then home to watch the fireworks, we can see the local display from DS's bedroom so we are not going out anywhere for them. We always have hot chocolate and marshmallows, and do some sparklers in the garden. Much better than paying the 5 entry fee.

Hope everyone has a nice day.
    SPC 076
    • jwil
    • By jwil 5th Nov 18, 9:40 AM
    • 10,651 Posts
    • 37,772 Thanks
    jwil
    Hope you feel better soon. I use honey and lemon, when I've got a cough/cold.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 5th Nov 18, 9:41 AM
    • 10,651 Posts
    • 37,772 Thanks
    jwil
    Glad your nephew is safe, it's so worrying.

Enjoy your day x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

306Posts Today

5,416Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Snap post #BBCOurNextPM poll: Who do you think did best. (I had to have two in one category, so I picked randoml? https://t.co/gYTNBBn3SP

• Emily Maitliss being v mean to Boris using his own past quotes against him on Heathrow, having an election when lea? https://t.co/4baNAlmMid

• Wow - impressive performance from the 15 year old climate change activist. Not sure I'd have had such confidence when still at school.

• Follow Martin