Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 7th Jul 18, 8:20 PM
    • 331Posts
    • 1,854Thanks
    Robin09
    Back to try again..
    • 7th Jul 18, 8:20 PM
    Back to try again.. 7th Jul 18 at 8:20 PM
    Good evening,

I come on here to read the diaries pretty much every day, such inspiring people on here! I did have a very short lived diary last year but have come back now as a new member to start afresh.

We are on a DMP and have been since February 2016. Our debt when we started were just under 30000 and as of this month is just under 18000. I am hoping one day soon we may be brave enough to go self managed.

A bit about us. DH and myself both work. DH is full time and my hours are varied part time hours. We have two beautiful children, DS 14 and DD 5.

As I said I one day hope to go self managed. To be fair, I am a bit of a wimp and like the one payment we make but also do not like that we cannot make overpayments if we wish..

Budgeting wise, I have always tried my best at this. DH on the other hand has taken a long time to get his head around it all, so for many years I have just been playing catch up on what he has spent and re jigging things as we go along. But, at the beginning of the year I tried a different budgeting technique that has worked so well and DH has stuck to and has admitted is easy! So much so, that the last few months we have saved money and had money left in the bank at the end of each month.

My plan is to continue to save and at some point go self managed and start over paying our debts and get it paid of sooner and to get on with our life without debt.

Please join my journey if you wish.

Robin. X
Page 6
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 29th Aug 18, 8:02 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 1,854 Thanks
    Robin09
    Good evening,

Yes, was very kind of them went and picked it up today but couldn't fit the desk in the car so my dad is bringing that down tomorrow.

Had a another lovely day today with best friend and DC. Just at her house, did some baking and the DC played happily together. They all go to different schools, so do not catch up much during school term so they have enjoyed spending time together these holidays

Still haven't got DS school shoes, we both hate going shopping and keep putting it off. He goes back Tuesday, so can't put it off much longer.
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 3rd Sep 18, 8:24 AM
    • 331 Posts
    • 1,854 Thanks
    Robin09
    Had a lovely weekend away to celebrate my Nan's birthday. DC loved spending time with her. We had a lovely day on the beach, hiking, bowling, arcade, sweet shop visit. Treated us to a lovely lunch on the sea front. Cottage was lovely and a bargain, would definitely stay there again. In the middle of nowhere, beautiful. Spent all our holiday money we had saved, bought home a grand total of 1.14 (plus my weekly 20, which I didn't use) was very weird to go away with DH though, the only downside.

DD went back to school today the holidays went by so quickly, cannot wait to hear about her first day in year 1, she was very excited. DS goes back tomorrow and we still do not have school shoes that's our job today.

At the beginning of the holidays I took 100 out for activities and I still have 20 of it. Pretty chuffed with that. I did spend quite a bit of my weekly 20 on doing stuff but still think we have had a fun holiday for little spends.
    • ftbwannabe
    • By ftbwannabe 3rd Sep 18, 9:46 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 813 Thanks
    ftbwannabe
    Sounds like a lovely weekend, + left over, too! Good luck with the shoe shopping today. The only time my mother & I ever rowed was shoe shopping together...
    got the mortgage - now to clear the cards.
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 3rd Sep 18, 6:35 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 1,854 Thanks
    Robin09
    Thank you ftbwannabe, it really was a lovely weekend, wish I could see my Nan more often. Thankfully no arguments out shoe shopping, DS couldn't have been less interested if he had tried My fault for leaving it until the last day but lack of choice in decent shoes and in his size meant they came in 20 over budget ! So there's the school holidays savings gone! A good make so I hope they last as he walks miles every day.

DD had a fab day back at school today which reminds me, I got a place on the college course for Maths. I start on the 18th of this month. Just going to go do my best and see how I go, all I can do really.

I have been thinking alot about our DMP over the last few weeks. I am really unsure if we should leave it for a while longer, and continue paying our monthly amount (210) or to seriously start looking into going self managed. I am totally undecided on it all.
    • WelshKitty85
    • By WelshKitty85 3rd Sep 18, 7:35 PM
    • 931 Posts
    • 7,923 Thanks
    WelshKitty85
    Well done for getting on the course
    Enough is enough...
    29,603 (22/7/18) 23,599.06
    • ftbwannabe
    • By ftbwannabe 4th Sep 18, 10:01 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 813 Thanks
    ftbwannabe
    Yay about the course! V impressive how you're taking action like that. If it helps, I've taken a few extra courses since leaving school & I get petrified every time - and it's always fine, & it's never just me being nervous. Good luck!
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 4th Sep 18, 7:16 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 1,854 Thanks
    Robin09
    Thank you so much WelshKitty and ftbwannabe, I really appreciate your well wishes. I am constantly running around doing stuff for everyone, I am strangely looking forward to doing something for myself. Still bricking it though

Had work this morning and then did a big sort out of all the cupboards and draws when I got home. Got rid of two bin bags full and got a box and a bin bag full for the charity shop. DH started decorating the hallway while we were away, with paint we already had, already looking brighter although not finished yet.

Paid for DD school outing, had the money put away. DS had a great day back and is happy with his new timetable and got all his first choice options.

Popped to my sisters after school with DD, to see my niece before she goes back to Uni. She gave me a bag full of clothes for DC, and a massive canvas of a woodland photo, I love it. She didn't want anything but I gave her 5, bargain. Still have 15, going shopping on Thursday so will save it for that, need to get some bits for the college course.
    • pidge04
    • By pidge04 5th Sep 18, 3:20 AM
    • 679 Posts
    • 2,482 Thanks
    pidge04
    So happy for you about your course! Full of admiration. Good luck!

Very impressive that you had some money leftover after the summer holiday. I am going to try money in separate envelopes next month. Really hope that is going to help me.

What are the pros and cons about self-managing your DMP? Sorry I do not know anything about this. Would it help to list your thoughts on it here?

Best wishes.
    O/D 1000/600
    CC 5400/2750
    LOAN 10000/3238
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 5th Sep 18, 7:08 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 1,854 Thanks
    Robin09
    Thank you Pidge I find having cash works so much better for us, good luck trying it out. And that is such a great idea to do a pro/cons list, I am definitely going to find time to do that tomorrow.

Very tired this evening, so going to have an early night. Woke up to DH's 4am alarm, doesn't usually wake me, really don't know how he manages it every day! Went to work, then back home to sort dinner and house out before picking DD to go to my other sister's house. Spent 25 minutes at the school trying to locate her jumper, thankfully we found it. DS has been horrendous for losing his stuff over the years but thankfully he has got better lately.

Going shopping tomorrow. We do not have any big bargain stores around here so hopefully I won't go to mad, do need to look out for a couple birthday presents, but they have been budgeted for.
    • DMP_Tiger
    • By DMP_Tiger 6th Sep 18, 8:19 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    DMP_Tiger
    Thank you Pidge I find having cash works so much better for us,
    Originally posted by Robin09
    Yep, cash is the way to go for us too

Until it runs out and my wife uses her debit card.....
    August 2018: Secured Debt 70,003 Unsecured Debt (DMP) 34,657 Total 104,660 DFD: March 2031
    January 2019: Secured Debt 68,269 Unsecured Debt (DMP) 34,457 Total 102,726 DFD: March 2031
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 6th Sep 18, 3:49 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 1,854 Thanks
    Robin09
    Have not had a very good day today.

Planned shopping trip with my sister, which started out bad as she had just received a phone call to say her brother (she is my half sister) to say he has had a very serious accident and they are not hopeful he is going to make it she didn't want to sit at home, so we decided to go anyway. Very worrying times for him.

Went shopping. And blocked both my bank cards as my mind went blank and forgot my pins. Ended up getting a couple bits for birthdays with what I had left in my purse from last week's money. Paid my sister back 8 she put on her card for me when I got home, I got some bits for college.

Got home to an email to say the college course has been changed to a Monday, which is not good as I work every Monday, so I am now unsure what to do. I cannot really afford to lose the money if I give up Mondays, plus it will make things difficult for them at work. I do not earn a lot anyway but will definitely see a difference if I give them up.

Just praying he pulls through and that we all have a better day tomorrow.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 6th Sep 18, 4:35 PM
    • 10,644 Posts
    • 37,738 Thanks
    jwil
    Sorry to hear about your sister's brother Hope he pulls through.

That's a shame about the course too, I hope you manage to sort something.

I'm self managing and it's very easy, especially if you use the NEDCAB website to produce all the letters for you.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • WelshKitty85
    • By WelshKitty85 6th Sep 18, 5:12 PM
    • 931 Posts
    • 7,923 Thanks
    WelshKitty85
    Sorry you've had a bad day. Hoping things get better for you and that your sister's brother pulls through x
    Enough is enough...
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 6th Sep 18, 5:36 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 1,854 Thanks
    Robin09
    Thank you both. Still waiting for another update, he is Europe for work, so his family are on the way over now. I feel so sorry for my brother and sister and the whole side at their family.

That's good to know Jwil. I am hoping to sit down at some point and really have a look through it all and decide.
    • ftbwannabe
    • By ftbwannabe 6th Sep 18, 6:23 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 813 Thanks
    ftbwannabe
    Oh dear, sending good wishes to you & your family.
    • DMP_Tiger
    • By DMP_Tiger 7th Sep 18, 7:57 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    DMP_Tiger
    Thinking of you and your family Robin. When people's lives are in the balance, it kind of puts all of our financial problems into perspective. It's only money after all, we have our health and a roof over our heads - we need to be thankful for that x
    August 2018: Secured Debt 70,003 Unsecured Debt (DMP) 34,657 Total 104,660 DFD: March 2031
    January 2019: Secured Debt 68,269 Unsecured Debt (DMP) 34,457 Total 102,726 DFD: March 2031
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 7th Sep 18, 5:31 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 1,854 Thanks
    Robin09
    Thank you all! He made it through the night, but the next few days are critical. He has had to have a part of his skull removed to release pressure and the trauma surgeons are working around the clock on his shattered legs and eye sockets he is in a really bad way. It is a horrible time for them all, made worse for it happening in Europe.

You are totally right DMP_Tiger! There is plenty things more important than money. I think I have mentioned that the majority of our debt is due to DH gambling. This was accumulated in the space of 3 months, his way of coping with his father passing away after a very short illness. It wasn't good, I was mad for a few days and cried about it all but it is just money, we had just lost his father which was way worse. So we've just coped with it as best as we can and get on with it. Everyone copes differently and that was just his way. I could see the relief on his face when I found out, and it hasn't been a issue since (well apart from paying it all back of course ).

Today at work I had a chat with my boss about the college course changing and that I wasn't sure what to do. She was very keen on me to do it and didn't want me to give up my space. We have agreed that I will come into work after the course. I will not be home in time for DD school pick up, so my parents have offered to get her. Will need to have a look around for a car seat for their car. I'm glad I will be able to do both.

Spent the afternoon with best friend, coffee and a chat with no little ones. Was lovely!

Spends today will be 1 tonight, as the tooth fairy is visiting DD for the first time I have no idea if that's the going rate these days, but that's what she's getting
    • WelshKitty85
    • By WelshKitty85 7th Sep 18, 7:54 PM
    • 931 Posts
    • 7,923 Thanks
    WelshKitty85
    Oh Robin, it sounds like an awful accident he had. It certainly does put things into perspective doesn't it.

Well done for not giving up on the course, it's great that your boss and your parents are being so supportive.

Tooth fairy usually leaves 1 here too.
    Enough is enough...
    • pidge04
    • By pidge04 8th Sep 18, 2:18 AM
    • 679 Posts
    • 2,482 Thanks
    pidge04
    Really sorry to read this. Take great care x
    O/D 1000/600
    CC 5400/2750
    LOAN 10000/3238
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 8th Sep 18, 6:07 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 1,854 Thanks
    Robin09
    Thank you all again,

Unfortunately we have heard it was a hit and run no change today, but no news is good news sometimes so we are all hoping he can pull through. He is definitely putting up a good fight.

Out this morning to see DN for his birthday. He was off to the cinema so DS decided to go along, so gave him money for that. Bakery was too much to resist today so ended up in there so only have 4 left of weekly money but should be fine.

I woke with a bad headache that has lingered all day, so I have got none of my jobs done that I wanted to be done with today. So have just been chilling at home most of the day. DD is tired out after her week back at school so she was happy to not do much. Did not help that she woke us all up at 4.30 to tell us the tooth fairy had been very happy with her shiny pound coin.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

203Posts Today

1,823Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin