Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 27th Jan 18, 8:50 PM
    • 7,219Posts
    • 53,210Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Things can only get better
    • 27th Jan 18, 8:50 PM
    Things can only get better 27th Jan 18 at 8:50 PM
    Unbelievably my very long running diary of 5 years seems to have been deleted Not happy about this to say the least

Not sure what to do about it. Need my diary to keep me sane and on track.

Had to swiftly come up with a new title, had been meaning to start a new diary but not this way.

Anyway, in brief for those who don't know, my life changed drastically 5 years ago when my OH got Lymphoma in his brain, nearly lost his life but miraculously survived, although he has permanent brain damage and is disabled. So we lost his wage and I'm now the sole breadwinner. At its highest debt was around £5k but paid off thankfully.

I try to keep as normal a life as I can.

Still really angry my old diary has gone
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2019 £317.17
    Emergency Fund £3260/£10,000
Page 66
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 1st Oct 18, 6:52 PM
    • 7,219 Posts
    • 53,210 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Thanks Buffster xx
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 1st Oct 18, 9:01 PM
    • 9,715 Posts
    • 77,119 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Definitely keep your money for your gold jewellery. If you get a new phone it doesn't mean Mr SA should get one. Your phone is playing up and his phone isn't.

Have a fabulous holiday.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £4,105/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £2,005/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £129.37/£500
    PREMIUM BONDS ME = £100. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £50
    • milann
    • By milann 2nd Oct 18, 8:19 PM
    • 2,587 Posts
    • 15,323 Thanks
    milann
    Have fun
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 4th Oct 18, 7:25 AM
    • 7,219 Posts
    • 53,210 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Hola from a very hot and sunny Lanzarote

Having a lovely time so far. Weather is fantastic, really hot and still warm enough at night to sit outside in a sleeveless top.

Mr SA is in shopping heaven he was a nightmare yesterday wanting everything he saw. He was very crafty and didn't bring his sunglasses so as soon as we got there we had to buy some. Then his shorts he brought are too small even though they fitted him a few weeks ago so yesterday we were looking all over for shorts. Now he's after a leather pendant with a cross on it and a wallet. I keep telling him we haven't come here to shop.

The hotel is great, we've stayed here before, although no aircon, it doesn't bother me but Mr SA doesn't like being too hot. We're half board but probably won't use the evening meal option much as we like to eat out. Last night we ate here though and I was happy to be able to pile my plate high with veg and Mr SA was over the moon with his two plates full of steak and chips.

We spent the night in a very cheap bar, only cost us €10 total. I had a small jug of sangria which was nice but I woke up in the night with a taste of cheap alcohol in my mouth, not so nice.

Rang DD last night and the dog and cat are fine. She's off work now until Sunday so they'll have company during the day.

Mr SA is just getting up. Wonder what today's purchase will be?
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 4th Oct 18, 8:30 AM
    • 8,512 Posts
    • 19,779 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    My goodness Mr S sounds like a nightmare on the shopping front. Maybe a spending allowance for him? Enjoy Lanzarote. It is getting a bit chilly here so envious of your gorgeous weather.
    Early retired in December 2017

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 4th Oct 18, 9:59 AM
    • 6,029 Posts
    • 24,172 Thanks
    abba1772
    Mr SA sounds like my five year old as he was a nightmare when we were on holiday last time as he wanted everything he saw no matter which shop we went into......he even wanted to buy tea towels .....he's five for goodness sake

Glad your are having a nice time xx
    NEXT TARGET BARCLAYCARD WAS Jan 19 £4299 NOW £0
    POAMAYC 2011 £6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £13039.59
    POAMAYC 2019 £6539.89
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Oct 18, 10:30 AM
    • 63,636 Posts
    • 281,954 Thanks
    beanielou
    Passes a shopping list

You know I have a Lanzarote key ring still used every day from over 25 years ago.

Enjoy xx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 5th Oct 18, 7:26 AM
    • 7,219 Posts
    • 53,210 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Thanks folks. ES I gave him €30 but he spent most of it in the first two days. I bought him the leather necklace yesterday to stop him going on about it but while I was browsing in a shop I clocked him at the till buying a man bag! Now he only wants a wallet!

We had a lovely night out last night, sat in a little bar across from our hotel and got chatting to whoever came and sat down next to us so it was quite entertaining. Didn't go home until well after midnight! It was still really warm even at that time. The downside was Mr SA got carried away with the beers, I tried to tell him no more - he wasn't drunk but he had a toilet accident on the way back, luckily no one saw him. So now the one pair of shorts that fit him are out of action, although he's washed them in the shower and they'll dry quickly in the sun.

Today's plan is to go to the market at the harbour so wish me luck with Mr SA's hunt for a wallet!
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 5th Oct 18, 7:47 AM
    • 1,177 Posts
    • 6,979 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    So pleased you are having a lovely time.

Just wondering is there a cupboard of doom at home with all the discarded man bags and wallets
    As a dear MSE friend says “keep plodding”
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 5th Oct 18, 12:33 PM
    • 9,715 Posts
    • 77,119 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    It sounds like you're having a lovely time apart from having to manage Mr SA! He definitely needs a minder!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Oct 18, 6:31 PM
    • 63,636 Posts
    • 281,954 Thanks
    beanielou
    ;eek: to the accident.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 6th Oct 18, 7:30 AM
    • 7,219 Posts
    • 53,210 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Happy Saturday folks

Unbelievably Mr SA sat on his new sunglasses yesterday and broke them then his phone suddenly stopped working - you couldn't make it up Absolutely unbelievable!

Mr SA got his wallet yesterday then asked if he could have his gold chain money. I told him he doesn't need anything else, he's had sunglasses, a leather necklace, a leather bracelet, a man bag, shorts and a wallet! He's getting out of hand, I've told him it must stop now.

I actually took some separate spending money for myself, I did buy a handbag for work yesterday only €13 then spent the same on a flamingo handbag for DGD. Of course now I've got to find something for DGS, might make that Mr SA's mission.

We went to the market yesterday morning but it was just a load of stalls selling exactly the same stuff you can buy in the shops, cheaper in the shops too. Stopped for a coffee in a little cafe in the old town, I went to the toilet and there was a massive cockroach in there I have never been in and out of a toilet so fast! I hate cockroaches

The weather was hazy yesterday but still hot. Last night you could feel a few spots of rain in the air but didn't amount to anything. We ate in the hotel dining room last night but the food wasn't great so don't think we'll bother again. We had a couple of drinks in the cheap bar again last night, I avoided the sangria, just had red wine. The woman sitting next to me had two jugs of sangria to herself and I thought you are so going to regret that in the morning! I think we're back on track now with the spending money, there was a danger we were going to run out at one stage but a couple of cheap nights have got us back on track.

Have a fab weekend folks
  • archived user
    I hope his shopping doesn't make you overweight on suitcases coming back.!

Good to hear you have found the sun and are enjoying yourself despite Mr SA and his shopaholic ways.

Would love a glass of sangria.

Enjoy the rest of your break.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 6th Oct 18, 8:36 PM
    • 9,715 Posts
    • 77,119 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Glad you put your foot down about giving Mr SA any more spending money!
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 7th Oct 18, 7:03 AM
    • 7,219 Posts
    • 53,210 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Morning folks

Only two days left of holiday Looking forward to seeing the dog and cat though. Plus I'm not back at work until next Monday.

Mr SA said he was thinking about changing some money into euros. I asked him what he wanted to buy and he said he didn't know.

Weather was even hotter yesterday. I'm so glad after we came here in April and the weather was unusually bad.

We had a lovely Indian meal last night. I also had an orange gin which was really nice. The measures here though - there was hardly room in the glass for the tonic! I had to drink water the rest of the night it was so strong. Cheap night though! They sell it on the plane so might get one if it's no cheaper here.

Mr SA was a bit odd yesterday and kept saying the same words over and over, they didn't make sense just random words. I had to explain to people he has a brain injury as they didn't know what he was saying.

We spent ages looking for the scooter key in the room only to find he'd left it in the ignition! Luckily it was charging in reception but still!

You should see the sunbed dash at the hotel in the morning, bang on 9am, it's quite comical. Mr SA doesn't like going round the pool so doesn't affect us. I've been putting the sofa cushions on the balcony and laying on those. This is why I prefer a villa - Mr SA can get his TV fix too.

It's just getting light now and people are up and about. Mr SA is still fast asleep. I've been sleeping like a log, straight off as soon as my head hits the pillow.

Have a great Sunday
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 7th Oct 18, 3:15 PM
    • 9,758 Posts
    • 61,491 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Hope the cockroach stayed in the bathroom and goes nowhere near the kitchen .

Sorry to hear Mr SA hasn’t been too good. I know how scary that can be. Big eeek to key being left in the ignition too!

Enjoy your last couple of days. Is this your last holiday before Christmas or do you have another one booked? Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

Best win so far - holiday to Florida
    • milann
    • By milann 7th Oct 18, 4:57 PM
    • 2,587 Posts
    • 15,323 Thanks
    milann
    Sounds like you’re having a lovely time in the sun.
    Hopefully MrSA has returned back to his normal self and saying shopping words rather than just repeating words. It must be so worrying. Is he aware when this happens?

Make the most of your last few days of sunshine - there’s a definite nip in the air here now.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 7th Oct 18, 5:15 PM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 18,644 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hi SA - glad to read that you're getting some well deserved rays on the balcony and hope Mr SA is back to normal.

Re your next holiday - have you ever thought of taking Mr SA to the nearest shopping mall and dropping him off and then fly off to the sun on your own? You can pick him up on your way back!

Enjoy your evening.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 23
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 8th Oct 18, 6:52 AM
    • 7,219 Posts
    • 53,210 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Yeah SSG - leave him in a man crèche

This is our last holiday now until next year, probably April Lucky.

Milann he thinks he's making sense and can't see the issue.

Sob the last day has finally come I'll be sorry to leave the glorious weather behind but glad to see the fur babies and get back to healthy eating. Yesterday Mr SA randomly asked me if I was going to WW this Saturday! Thanks for reminding me mate! I've done loads of walking though, as much as I like the sun I'm not one for laying on a sunbed all day. I've not gone mad eating wise, I don't like unhealthy food but I'm still eating and drinking more than I would normally so not looking forward to weigh in, although will have a few days to rein it in a bit before Saturday.

There is a lovely bar here called Cafe la Ola, right by the sea. Every Sunday afternoon on their FB page they show people dancing, Zumba demonstrations and special offers on gin etc, looks fab. So we went yesterday - nothing going off, we are here the one Sunday nothing's happening - typical!

Last night we were going to have a cheap night and eat in the hotel but in the end I couldn't face going in so we ate at a bar where Mr SA loves the fish and chips. I had salmon in Jack Daniels sauce, Canarian potatoes and salad, it was lovely. Sadly couldn't get a seat in the Orange gin bar, too popular!

Mr SA's phone still not working. I suspect it got wet. I've got an old phone at home he can use while we sort something out. I'm cross with him for not looking after it, it's all easy come, easy go with him.

Flight is at 14.20 tomorrow so should be back at home about 19.30 ish.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 8th Oct 18, 7:53 AM
    • 2,885 Posts
    • 18,346 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    If it's any consolation, I had three weeks of hotel breakfasts recently (over three weeks, not all at once) and I gain weight easily - but I only went up about a pound. I think the walking actually did help counteract it - maybe yours will too.
    Enjoy that sunshine today!
    MFW #30 Overpaid by £4,100.58/£3000 in 2018 Overpaid by £1,599.86/2,880.00 to 12/6/19. Decluttered in 2019: 833/2019 as of 14/6/19
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,346Posts Today

6,634Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin