Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 27th Jan 18, 8:50 PM
    • 7,253Posts
    • 53,531Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Things can only get better
    • 27th Jan 18, 8:50 PM
    Things can only get better 27th Jan 18 at 8:50 PM
    Unbelievably my very long running diary of 5 years seems to have been deleted Not happy about this to say the least

Not sure what to do about it. Need my diary to keep me sane and on track.

Had to swiftly come up with a new title, had been meaning to start a new diary but not this way.

Anyway, in brief for those who don't know, my life changed drastically 5 years ago when my OH got Lymphoma in his brain, nearly lost his life but miraculously survived, although he has permanent brain damage and is disabled. So we lost his wage and I'm now the sole breadwinner. At its highest debt was around £5k but paid off thankfully.

I try to keep as normal a life as I can.

Still really angry my old diary has gone
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2019 £317.17
    Emergency Fund £3260/£10,000
Page 129
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 25th May 19, 6:50 PM
    • 7,253 Posts
    • 53,531 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Thanks debs and cherry His mobility has got worse since he got his scooter, he doesn't try anymore. Cherry he was wearing a pair of pool sandals when he fell - I know!!!!! The garden is 100ft long and he puts obstacles there himself, such as he leaves the hose pipe all over. He just gets up to all this stuff while I'm at work, drives me nuts.

Anyway today had a visit from the GKs. GS was over excited about his birthday tomorrow and GD was jealous. Apparently no one has ever bought her a balloon ever in her life!! We sat outside in the sunshine and what with the GKs kicking off, the dog barking and then we were dive bombed by robins protecting their nest which they've unbelievably built inches from the ground in a bush next to the patio - it was chaos!!!

And breathe ...
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 25th May 19, 7:08 PM
    • 15,689 Posts
    • 54,015 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Does sound a bit nuts. Poor Robins! and poor you in the middle of it all

I now have an image of your garden set up like something out of Wipeout!
    Sealed Pot 12 - 008, 365, 1p a day, 1%, 100 days, Saving to be out of debt!
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 25th May 19, 7:09 PM
    • 9,815 Posts
    • 77,954 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I'm sorry about Mr SA falling and about him breaking the bench. Hopefully the walking frame will help, but only if he uses it! He shouldn't wear pool sandals in the garden of course but I'm sure you've told him that many times. He doesn't help himself does he?

It sounded like a tiring afternoon with the GKs but it must be lovely to have them and see them . Did DGS like his wooden garage?

I hope you have a good Sunday.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £4,105/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £2,005/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £129.37/£500
    PREMIUM BONDS ME = £150. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £50
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 25th May 19, 7:48 PM
    • 63,820 Posts
    • 283,205 Thanks
    beanielou
    If a person has poor balance for whatever reason there is a limited amount that can be done to help it.
    Mine seems to go through wee phases of being relatively ok & then being dire.
    That is having physio at least once a fortnight & having attended a falls clinic & using a stick most of the time.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 25th May 19, 9:58 PM
    • 2,910 Posts
    • 18,517 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    he was wearing a pair of pool sandals when he fell - I know!!!!! The garden is 100ft long and he puts obstacles there himself, such as he leaves the hose pipe all over. He just gets up to all this stuff while I'm at work, drives me nuts.
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    I expect you have eyes in the back of your head. Several pairs.Could you hire him out to Health and Safety courses for the bit where people have to spot the hazards?
    MFW #30 Overpaid by £4,100.58/£3000 in 2018 Overpaid by £1,599.86/2,880.00 to 12/6/19. Decluttered in 2019: 833/2019 as of 14/6/19
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 26th May 19, 11:03 AM
    • 744 Posts
    • 5,044 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    echoed..and breathe... (and drink wine..lots)

Have a good week SA
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2019 Savings Rate - Goal 40% 37% May 25% April 54% March ] 2019 Income Goal £301/£750 June Goals: AFDs 4/25 Decluttering 40/80; LSDs 04/10; NSDs xx/05 Exercise in June RT 12k 02/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 26th May 19, 2:29 PM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 18,644 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Just caught up with your diary. I'm so pleased to hear that Mr SA's results confirmed he is clear. I was heartened to read that he announced a cut back on the beer but then you reported he has lapsed......

Such a shame about his mobility but you've had soon good advice on here. I'd hide the pool sandals though!

Sorry - the kamikaze robins made me smile......

Have a good weekend SA - more wine and gin is required methinks!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 23
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 26th May 19, 2:44 PM
    • 9,773 Posts
    • 61,632 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Sorry to hear about the falls and the broken furniture.

Hope today is more relaxing than yesterday. Must be something in the air, I’ve been writing ‘To Do’ lists too Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

Best win so far - holiday to Florida
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 26th May 19, 2:45 PM
    • 7,253 Posts
    • 53,531 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Happy Sunday folks

I think Beanie's hit the nail on the head re balance issues. He's had several referrals to physio and the falls clinic but they admit there's not a lot they can do.

Anyway first thing first - I've booked Lanzarote for September I've been pricing up various dates/options depending on when DD can get a week off work to look after the dog and to make sure I don't clash with my co-worker as we can't leave the big chiefs PA-less it would be chaos We're going back to a hotel we've stayed in before 3 times and we know is suitable for a scooter, has a fantastic sea view and is right in the centre. It was just as cheap to go all inclusive, although we will only use it for breakfast, lunch and the odd drink. Remembered to book the insurance straight afterwards this time. Something in the pipeline to look forward to anyway

I'll probably book a week off in the summer too if I get wind of a hot sunny week coming up, then I'm off for a long weekend for my birthday in August.

Finances done, will be a tight last week of the budget but it's payday on Friday. VSP is £265.96, got another £13 on its way from TCB and will make it up to £300 by the end of the 4 week budget period if it's not quite there.

Went to a local food and craft fair this morning - on my own as Mr SA didn't want to go. It was ok but not worth the £1 entrance fee they charged, didn't buy anything, I was only there about 20 minutes.

Weather has been a bit mix and match today, raining then sunny. Very humid though. At least the robins haven't had to scare us off today

GS was going to a butterfly farm today for his birthday treat so will ring later to see if he liked his wooden car park.

Hope everyone is enjoying the bank holiday so far
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 26th May 19, 2:54 PM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 18,644 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Good news on the Lanzarote booking. Something tangible to look forward to and as you've been there before all will be fine for Mr SA. Sounds like an excellent price too.

Is it just the two of you going away for your birthday or more of a family trip?

Hope DGS had a lovely time at the butterfly farm and he likes his present.
    x

• please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 26th May 19, 2:54 PM
    • 9,773 Posts
    • 61,632 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Yay to another holiday to look forward to Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

Best win so far - holiday to Florida
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 26th May 19, 3:02 PM
    • 7,253 Posts
    • 53,531 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    I'm not going away for my birthday SSG it's just a long weekend off work. We don't go on family trips - I'd need another holiday to recover
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 26th May 19, 4:31 PM
    • 9,815 Posts
    • 77,954 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Lanzarote will give you something to look forward to SA .

I hope DGS enjoyed his trip to the butterfly place.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £4,105/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £2,005/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £129.37/£500
    PREMIUM BONDS ME = £150. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £50
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 26th May 19, 7:45 PM
    • 63,820 Posts
    • 283,205 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great news on Lanzarote xx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 26th May 19, 8:24 PM
    • 7,253 Posts
    • 53,531 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    DGS loved his birthday trip to the butterfly park. Apparently DGD didn't like it she was scared of everything.

OMG the robins are making it like the film The Birds in our garden, you can't go outside without them chattering and dive bombing - bloomin' birds
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 26th May 19, 10:26 PM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 18,644 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    I'm not going away for my birthday SSG it's just a long weekend off work. We don't go on family trips - I'd need another holiday to recover
    Sorry! Had to chuckle at that......

DGS loved his birthday trip to the butterfly park. Apparently DGD didn't like it she was scared of everything.

OMG the robins are making it like the film The Birds in our garden, you can't go outside without them chattering and dive bombing - bloomin' birds
    I have read that robins, despite looking cute in their little red outfits, are quite murderous in their outlook. Be afraid, be very afraid.......

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 27th May 19, 4:57 PM
    • 7,253 Posts
    • 53,531 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Hello all

Shattered today, took the dog to a local park that's further away and has a brilliant garden shop attached to it. They grow all the plants for the council displays then sell the leftovers quite cheaply. Bought a beautiful black petunia plant for £1.50. After that we stopped off at the Aldi close by to stock up on food. We'd planned to drop the dog and shopping back home then go out for lunch but my feet were aching and I couldn't face going back out again, then it started raining so we decided to have lunch st home. To be honest we couldn't really afford it so I'm glad we didn't' bother.

Haven't really done much over the bank holiday weekend, I'm quite cross with myself. I've made a list of things that need doing and the intention is to tick off at least one a week. I feel like all I've done is cook, clean, shop, walk the dog and read my book for 3 days. I couldn't put the book down it was so good - an old Harlan Coben one I've had on my shelf for years and not read, it was brilliant and reminded just how much I enjoy his books.

I feel a bit flat today, don't know why, I really need to get myself back into a routine with everything - diet, exercise, decluttering, things on the to do list and budgeting.

Only 3 work days to do this week
    • milann
    • By milann 27th May 19, 7:08 PM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 15,572 Thanks
    milann
    I’ve got pictures in my head of dive bombing robins watching out for you to go outside. Hopefully you’ll get to see them feeding the baby robins.

It’s sad that mr s balance has deteriorated but as you say there’s probably not much they can do about it. Be careful buying a frame yourself as it needs to be able to take his weight and be the right height - but you don’t need me to tell you that.

Your day in Birmingham sounded a nice treat for you before work.

At least it’s a 4 day week this week.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 27th May 19, 7:23 PM
    • 7,253 Posts
    • 53,531 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    3 for me milann, I'm off Friday
    • milann
    • By milann 27th May 19, 7:24 PM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 15,572 Thanks
    milann
    Yay to being off Friday too
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,123Posts Today

7,158Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter Poll: How do you view nuclear power? Is it an environmentally friendly form of clean renewable ene? https://t.co/WE5pRJ1Jsx

• So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• Follow Martin