Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings

Options

Comments

• sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

LL it is my younger daughter's birthday, she is 26 years old today. We are just celebrating at home as that is what she preferred. I could only afford token gifts this year, but she liked them and that is what counts. :D

I am always trying to remind other people about the importance of good manners, but they see me as 'old fashioned' on this issue but I will never stop believing that good manners really matter :)

I have paid my Thames Water bill for 2018/2019 in full :j

It is a very warm day in London today rather than a sunny day, but short sleeve weather none the less :)

I bought myself a paperback copy of The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Society from eBay, 8 Beginners Salsa Dance lessons and a 3 day Rover cruise ticket from Groupon as 3 more birthday presents to myself. :j
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 25 May 2018 at 10:23PM
    Options
    Just back from a nice meal with the boys and DIL for DS2s birthday tomorrow. His girl is a nurse who had to work tonight so she couldn't make it. The boys have gone on to see the Avengers film. Some nice brother bonding time.

SUgarbaby we don't buy big presents either. We tend to go out and celebrate instead so big brother is treating baby brother to the film and meal.

I managed to find an Avengers book for him and one of those on the go drink cups where you add fresh fruit so you can have flavoured water without all the sweeteners and chemicals. He's trying very hard to eat healthily and it isn't always easy when you are at work or out and about so I thought the cup thing was just the ticket. I didn't spend much but he was chuffed to bits with both presents. You are right, it's not how much you spend is it, but the thought that goes in to the gift. I do try and target the presents to each person. I try and find something that will surprise and delight them.

I try to think ahead for gifts and often buy months in advance if I see the right present or I make a note in my diary of what to buy when I get inspired. It takes a lot of the pressure off and stops last minute panic buying. And of course in true MSE fashion it can work out cheaper too. No last minute wildy expensive useless tat. :rotfl:

Sounds like you bought yourself some nice presents too.;)

Back to the manners thing.......

I once read somewhere that the true definition of good manners is not when someone says "oh so and so has good manners, but rather that they say so and so is a nice person". I suppose meaning that true good manners have nothing to do with etiquette as such but rather it is about showing consideration for others. Not letting a door slam in someone's face, not letting them down at the last minute without the courtesy of a phone call, that kind of thing.

Now I know this next remark might be a bit contentious but I do think it a very sad state of affairs when perfectly fit healthy young people do not give up their seat for heavily pregnant women, or people carrying a child in their arms (men or women) or frail elderly seniors.

My daughter in law is now on maternity leave but she was telling me how she struggled on the train some days. Loads of strapping young men who remained seated and would just look the other way whilst she had to stand.

Yes I know Some men will spout "well you wanted equality, now youve got it so stop complaining" but surely it wouldnt kill them to give up their seat for a heavily pregnant woman or someone struggling to hold a baby or toddler, or an elderly person who is a bit wobbly on their pins. I notice that is often women who give up their seat in these circumstances whilst men pretend they haven't noticed.

But the worst was when I took my father to Belgium. I have never experienced such a truly embarrassing incident. I ended up publically shaming two er hem "gentlemen" on a train.

We had reserved seats for our party of 4 and these two smartly dressed businessmen had plonked themselves in our seats, spreading themselves out with their laptops, briefcases and coats so no one else could sit there.

I politely asked them if we could have our seats which we had reserved. They were extremely rude and said no we should find somewhere else to sit.....the train was of course busy and it would mean us having to separate.

My father was in a wheelchair by this stage but he could walk down the length of the carriage with assistance and sit in a normal seat. My sister and niece had folded his chair and were attending to the luggage whilst I had helped him down the carriage and was trying to get him to his seat. These men could see my father was elderly and frail but they refused to budge.

It took me several minutes and a rather embarrassing "discussion" to get them to move. They eventually did but only after I had torn a strip off them.

I pointed out the obvious,, we had paid to reserve those seats, they had not. Still they kept arguing. Eventually I raised my voice and in clear stentorian tones so the whole carriage could hear, I said "take a good look at my father, he is 89 and rather frail, he is exhausted, he needs to sit down now so I suggest you move immediately before he collapses and we have to delay the train whilst we fetch the paramedics".

By this time all the other passengers had stopped pretending they couldn't see what was happening and began tut tutting and muttering that the men should move and give the seat to my father, but still they kept arguing.

I could see my fathers eyes were filling with tears, he felt humiliated and embarrassed. At this point I saw red.

I said to these men, "well gentlemen I hope you feel proud of yourselves, you have reduced an 89 year old veteran who gave nine years of his life in service to his country to tears. Is this how your mothers brought you up. I bet it isn't, I bet they would be ashamed of you, if they could see you now".

The men blushed furiously and muttering and cursing me they flounced off and found other seats. The whole Carriage erupted into applause and cheers. Even my dad had to smile. The "gentlemen" in question realised they were no longer welcome in that carriage so they headed off further down the train. :rotfl:

I wouldn't normally dream of causing a scene like that but I couldn't let that kind of behaviour go unchallenged. They were just bullies who thought they could intimidate a middle aged woman and a sick old man.

Well they picked the wrong middle aged woman.;)

I became quite the heroine that day, people kept coming up to us, congratulating me for making a stand, making a fuss of my dad and thanking him for his service to his country.

At first my poor niece was squirming with embarrassment .....you know what 15 year olds are like .......but eventually even she said "Aunty I'm proud of you, you stood up to those horrible bullies. I bet they'll think twice next time". I Hope she was right and that they learned a lesson in manners that day.
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 May 2018 at 9:23AM
    Options
    Hi fabbers,

Lessons congratulations Om your new home. How exciting.

Sugar happy birthday to your daughter.

Maman I quite like that dress. My rule of clothing tends to be, if unsure, don!!!8217;t buy it, as it!!!8217;s normally not right for a reason. That rule only works if you have good insight into what suit you etc. You certainly do and the fact that you are unsure, means you may not enjoy wearing it.

Good news for me - I have been offered a new job!!!
    I had three interview this week and nothing else lined up, so I knew that it would be at least another month before I would have any more interviews. The outcome of those three interviews is that I have 1 offer of employment, 1 offer of a second interview and 1 rejection.
    The job I have been offered will be working for a charity and I can take the same route to work as I currently do, which means I dont have to pay to go into Central London. The money is a little bit more as well. The only downside is that I loose my fab Fridays, but I hope once settled, I can negotiate a bit of flexibility in how I work.
    The only barrier now is negotiating an early release from my current employer, so that I can keep my redundancy pay. I think we should be able to negotiate something that suits us both.

The other news is that my car died on me last week. We were going to get a new one in the autumn, but we have to push that forward now. I know what car I want, I just need to find a good deal.

Sainsburys have their 25% off clothing until Sunday (or Monday). I put in a big order, mainly for the children, but I may have ordered a little something for myself. In anticipation of the sale, which normally coincides with half terms, I was eyeing up a khaki jacket and I was trying it on, when a customer walked by and said the colour really suited me, which was a nice compliment.
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Chanie, Congratulations on the offer of employment. I hope your new job will turn out to be really fulfilling for you :D

LL in a World where younger generations rely on digital communication, my children are irritated by my insistence on good manners about the receipt of cards and presents. My daughter was reminded to thank everyone who had took the time to send her a birthday card or present and all those who had sent her good wishes via Facebook. She did thank everyone yesterday. :)

LL I am glad you stood up for the right of your Father, yourself and the other 2 members of your family on that train. :D

I never allow people to remain sitting in my reserved train seats. I am emphatic and will brook no nonsense. ;) Sometimes it is a genuine mistake, as the other persons have forgot that they need to ensure they are in the correct carriage before they then look for their reserved seats. :cool:

The same goes for theatre seats. It is amazing how many people attempt to sit in seats that are not the seat they paid for, elevating themselves to much higher priced seats. Then they have the nerve to try to stay in the higher priced seat when the person or persons who actually paid for those seats try to claim their seats. :rotfl:

I am just going to have a restful day today. I woke up in pain at 5.30am and could not get back to sleep, so it is going to be a very long day for me. I am planning on going to Karaoke tomorrow.
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Change...congratulations on the job.:T:T:T. Well done. And great that your commuting costs won't increase AND you also get a bit more money. Wins all round. ;)

I'm off to Ikea in a bit and then a nice lunch somewhere.....I'm a bit tired and jaded this morning but I don't want to let DS1 and DIL Down. DS1 is driving so I can rest in the car. And then I can have a nice easy day to tomorrow.

This week has been so hectic and next week will be pretty busy too, seeing solicitors, surveyors coming and going so I feel like I need a bit of respite this weekend and a chance to just catch up with myself.

I tend to forget I am no longer 30 ..........:rotfl:
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good news about the job offer chanie. I do hope you can negotiate something at work.:)

I'm feeling a bit drained today too. I'm guessing that it's some sort of post viral thing as I've only just got over the cold/cough thing that started 3 weeks ago. I can't think of any other obvious reason. Good to hear that your supplements are taking effect sukey. Maybe I need some of them!

Thanks for the input everyone, I've decided not to keep the Bon Marche sundress. I know I'll feel frumpy wearing it. I'm planning to go into the city centre at some point and browse a bit more. I'd rather spend some money on something I really like or go without.

I'm putting on a little fake tan after my shower now about 3 times a week. The one I use sukey is Palmers Cocoa Butter (fortunately the smell of chocolate digestives fades quickly:D). I use it alongside Neutrogena body lotion.

Palmers-Cocoa-Butter-Natural-Bronze-Tan-Lotion-250ml-355798.jpg3574661200019_L.jpeg

Sorry about weird photos! What I like is that they both come in easy to use dispensers. At the moment I'm using 1 squirt of tan to 3 squirts of body lotion in the palm of my hand. I mix them by rubbing my hands together then pat evenly onto legs and arms etc before smoothing in. Sorry that's not explained very well. I know what I mean.:D After my holiday I'll carry on with the same routine as it'll keep my tan looking good for weeks.

It's a lovely bright day here. Not at all what we expected. I'm certain that since the BBC ditched the met office forecasts are more unreliable!;)
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,246 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I use the Palmsrs cocoa butter one too...I use one squirt for each leg up to just over the knee, with a bit left for top of foot & ankle, just after showering. By the time I've wiped the shower, sorted & dried my hair its nicely smooth & dressable :)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks Maman & Floss - I think that mixing it with some normal body lotion might be the way to go as I don’t want to look like an Oompa Loompa :eek:

The gradual tan I have been using is a L’Oreal Sublime Bronze so I will probably finish that one up & then give the Palmers one a try.

Despite the weather forecast being pretty dismal for the last two days (I think you are definitely right about the BBC since they changed from the Met Office Maman) - it has been lovely and sunny - we had a storm late last night & heavy rain first thing this morning but it is glorious right now - although getting a bit humid now.

Have a lovely rest of the bank holiday all :cool: :)
  • shanks77
    shanks77 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Congrats to both Chanie and LL on your good news
    Belated birthday wished to your daughter Sugarbabe
    Sukeyboo you can join my pale and interesting club if you like. I am one of these people who go pillar box red then fade back to milk bottle white so have given up trying.
    Hope everyone is enjoying the good weather xx
  • lessonlearned
    edited 28 May 2018 at 10:01AM
    Options
    Shanks......pale and interesting is good. Technically a tanned skin is a damaged skin. Knowing what I know now I would not have spent my teens and early twenties basting myself to a golden brown. :rotfl:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.;).

There's quite a few things I would do differently if I had my time again. However, we can't turn back the clock so I just have to make the best with what I do have. Thankfully I have been very lucky and my skin, although showing the inevitable signs of aging, does not have that leathery crocodile look that you see in ardent sun worshippers. I think not smoking has also helped. I am quite happy now to cheat and use self tanner so as to try and not cause further sun damage.

Well I've done all my paperwork and form filling ready for tomorrow. Just have to double check it all later today. So this morning I'm going to have a nice pamper session.....mani & pedi, face mask and a lovely long soak in the bath.

Btw. One of the things I am really pleased about is that I will have room in my new house for a dedicated space for a mini gym. Luckily I already have most of the equipment. I just need to get a treadmill, a second hand one will be fine so I won't have to break the bank to kit it out. Maybe a rowing machine, although I'm not sure if my knees would cope. I was thinking I could get a personal trainer for a couple of sessions to come and advise me.

I have decided that, for a touch of luxury and decadence, I am also going to treat myself to a small portable infrared home sauna. Actually it will be great for my aches and pains so not quite as frivolous at it sounds.

Oddly enough although I loathe going to a public gym (all that bacteria from other peoples sweaty bodies - ugh) I am more than happy to work out at home, so I know my mini gym will get regular use.

In our old family home we converted the garage into a home gym and we all used it every day. We used it for years. Even when my husband got sick and could barely stand, the carers and I used to help him onto the equipment. Daily exercise did keep him mobile for longer than expected, although of course his illness did eventually rob him of the ability to walk, but even then he still did what he could. Even wheelchair users benefit from exercise.

But for us, daily exercise is a must, and for me it's a case of "If Mohamid won't go the mountain, then the mountain must go to Mohamid". I won't go to a gym so the gym has to come to me.:rotfl:

In the time it would take to travel to and from the gym I can do my workout and get showered, so time efficient and cost efficient too. Win-win.

We had a storm here last night. Luckily I had staked up some vulnerable plants yesterday afternoon, so no damage done. Still rather dull, maybe the sun will show its face later.

Enjoy the rest of the bank holiday. And....keeeeep fabbing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure