Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 1st Jan 18, 10:51 AM
    • 12,043Posts
    • 84,146Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings
    • 1st Jan 18, 10:51 AM
    Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings 1st Jan 18 at 10:51 AM
    Good Morning my Lovelies.

And welcome to the new bright and shiny Frump to Fab Thread.

First of all a very big hello and welcome to everyone, newbies, lurkers and returners....and those undecided.

Second let me wish you all “Happy New Year”.

Let’s rock this one!!!!

Well now where do we start this year. We have quite a history here now don’t we. I was thinking this morning about how the thread has developed so for the newbies......a brief potted history.

A few years ago my son took a photo of me. I was horrified. I burst into tears. I could hardly believe my eyes at the image before me. But.......as we know the camera doesn’t lie and I couldn’t argue with what That image revealed.

I went upstairs and stood in front of a full mirror and allowed the awful truth to sink in........never mind frump, I looked like a bag lady.

In my defence.......it was not down to laziness, far from it. I was caring for my semi Paralysed terminally ill husband. My days were full on with caring duties. I scarcely had a spare minute, it was all I could do to shower and brush my teeth sometimes.

All very noble of course but I had completely neglected myself in the process. I had forgotten the simple golden rule........we cannot care for others if we don’t care for ourselves. We cannot give love, if we don’t treat ourselves with love.

How many women forget this simple fact. In our busy lives as mothers, daughters, sisters how often to we put ourselves last on that never ending “to do list”.

As I stood and looked in that mirror I realised the folly of my ways and I resolved to “do something”. I wasn’t sure what exactly but I knew I had to make a start somewhere.

So I started the first Frump to Fab Thread and, as they say, the rest is history. What started as a simple diary to help me make the necessary changes to get me out of “Frumpdom” has become a wonderful friendship group of likeminded women.

Yes some of us are of a certain age but not all. Frumpdom is not the preserve of the middle aged woman who has “let herself go”. Becoming a frump can happen to anyone, young women, even teenagers.

But here’s the good news .......it’s never too late to reverse the process, never too late to ditch the frump, never too late for the caterpillar to turn into a beautiful butterfly or for the ugly duckling to turn into a graceful and elegant swan.

There are no rules to this thread except one.

Kindness please........we don’t judge anyone here, we don’t get into futile pointless arguments, we don’t make nasty comments, we don’t indulge in sarcasm, we don’t bully others, we don’t play mind games and we don’t try to score points by making others feel small.

So all that being said .....if you are ready to change your stars and become that alluring goddess you always longed to be, if you want to reclaim the energy and vitality that was once yours but has somehow disappeared then this is place for you.

Let’s all get fabulous.

Lesson no 1.

Wear perfume, every day. Don’t save it for best. Get out all those unused smellies lurking in the back of the bathroom cabinet or bedside drawer and start using them.

Smell divine......and fabulousity will follow. That’s a promise.

A women who smells gorgeous is gorgeous. It’s the first step on your journey.

Right I’m off to bathe in a sea of perfumed bubbles but first ..........

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 24-01-2018 at 9:02 AM.
Page 119
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 28th Dec 18, 5:25 PM
    • 12,043 Posts
    • 84,146 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    I'm pretty sure we've discussed IF before, LL. in fact I may have blown the 5:2 trumpet to you.
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    Yes we have, sorry for the repetition....
    • maman
    • By maman 28th Dec 18, 6:00 PM
    • 20,674 Posts
    • 122,852 Thanks
    maman
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    Don't apologise. This time of the year there are always lurkers /new posters around looking for a bit of support with their plans to be fab for the new year.

I think it's a good idea to start a new thread as really long ones can be a bit daunting for new posters.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 28th Dec 18, 6:09 PM
    • 26,775 Posts
    • 70,504 Thanks
    pollypenny

No problem. I've become a real disciple of Michael Mosley and his approach. It's a no fuss approach and the recipes are fabulous.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 29th Dec 18, 6:09 AM
    • 1,818 Posts
    • 12,633 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

I had a really lovely Christmas with family. One of my adult nieces decided to cook Christmas dinner for me and my 2 younger children. I had a really enjoyable meal surrounded by family.

For the 1st time since I was 18 years old, I have had a really relaxed, chilled out Christmas.

I have managed to lose some weight this year: 171bs but I need to lose a lot more. I have to continue eating a healthy diet and start an exercise routine now.

My holiday to Jamaica with my sisters has been booked for May 2019

I got my back pay from DWP for my ESA claim. I have been awarded 127.15 per week compared to the 73.10 per week I had been receiving so now I will not be so financially strapped in 2019. I have paid my Council Tax for April 2019 to April 2020 and my Thames Water Bill for April 2019 to April 2020 in full, so now that is 2 of the bigger bills I will not have to worry about. I put aside 1,000 for my spending money for my holiday next year. I was able to buy some of the items on my eBay watch list that I need and want. That will be the last of my personal spending for 2018.

I am feeling so upbeat about the approach of 2019. I am going to be partying on New Year's Eve at the pub until at least 3am on New Year's Day.
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 29th Dec 18, 7:04 AM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 11,541 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    sugarbaby what a lovely positive post. You sound like you are going to have a great 2019.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 29th Dec 18, 7:12 AM
    • 3,975 Posts
    • 36,479 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Sugarbaby so much good news, I am really happy for you. Here's to a happy and healthy 2019 without all the stress that the current year brought you.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 29th Dec 18, 7:49 AM
    • 12,043 Posts
    • 84,146 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    SUgarbaby......Fantastic well done

You hung in there and stuck it out with courage and fortitude.

Here's to a rosy future.

You so deserve your success. And your holiday will be the icing on the cake.

Ladies.......The New Thread is open........
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 29-12-2018 at 7:57 AM.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 29th Dec 18, 7:53 AM
    • 26,775 Posts
    • 70,504 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Sugarbaby, do you get a discount for paying council tax so far in advance?

I can't pay mine in one go, let alone in advance. It is 1700 this year and were expecting a substantial increase when the next bill arrives at the end of January.

• moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 29th Dec 18, 9:17 AM
    • 17,558 Posts
    • 49,252 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Must admit I'd be interested if there was a discount for paying CT in advance - but I've never heard of it anywhere. AFAIK - it's just 50% each for a couple and 75% for a single person and that's that.

Beyond that - one can either pay it on a lump sum basis or pay it in monthly installments. It used to be that monthly installments were paid 10 months of the year and nothing for 2 months and it suits some people to keep it that way.

I've been paying it as an equal installment literally every month (no months off at all) by my own choice for literally decades. There was a glitch to that for the first couple of years here - where the Council refused to do that, because they hadn't updated for that to be an option yet. They finally updated their procedure on that a couple of years back to have that as an option - and I'm now back to normal again (ie monthly every single month). Saves the yearly row with them about "I'm paying thisa way - Councils have been doing it thisa way for years" v. "Oh no - you're not - we don't do it that way" that was happening for the first couple of years here - whew!!!.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 29-12-2018 at 9:25 AM.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 29th Dec 18, 1:23 PM
    • 1,818 Posts
    • 12,633 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Sugarbaby, do you get a discount for paying council tax so far in advance?

I can't pay mine in one go, let alone in advance. It is 1700 this year and were expecting a substantial increase when the next bill arrives at the end of January.
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    Pollypenny I do not get any discount for paying my council tax in advance.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 29th Dec 18, 1:49 PM
    • 26,775 Posts
    • 70,504 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Pollypenny I do not get any discount for paying my council tax in advance.
    Originally posted by sugarbaby125

Why bother then? I remember reading that Kensington Council gave a discount to anyone who paid in one go. It came to light after the Grenfeld disaster.

• Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 29th Dec 18, 2:08 PM
    • 3,435 Posts
    • 24,388 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Yea he's not bad.Has a similar crazy eyed look as Will Self
    Originally posted by candygirl
    Okay...that is weird.

I was watching Pulp live at Reading on YouTube yesterday after all this talk.
    Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 11th Jan 19, 10:07 AM
    • 33,657 Posts
    • 67,596 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Wow, no activity for ages!

Happy New Year everyone!

My 2019 Fabbing Goals:

1. Continue to lose weight. I have managed to maintain over the Christmas/New Year Period. Delighted with this!

According to the BMI Calculators I need to lose the same again (three stone) to get into the 'normal' range. However, this makes me lighter than I have been since I was a teenager. A bit unrealistic I think. However, as long as it all goes off my tummy, that is OK. I still have a lot of tummy fat. I do not want it to go from my face. Will carry on and monitor.

2. Reduce my alcohol intake to not very much at all. This will help with my weight loss and other things which I will explain later.

3. Increase my level of exercise, in particular walk more and go to the gym more.

Just before Christmas I had a Health Screening privately with Bluecrest Health. This has flagged up the following results (only 'red' or 'amber' mentioned here, the 'green' ones are no problem.

As expected I get 'red' for most categories on my Biometric Analysis, which is concerned with weight, BMI, visceral fat (stored around internal organs) and body fat. The one category I got an 'amber' in was visceral fat. I am pleased about this as it is much more dangerous than body fat. Having researched it, it can be got rid of through diet and exercise and it seems the more weight I lose, it should reduce. I was only just outside the healthy range by one point so I am satisfied I can correct this. The other areas, which were all red, will correct when I have lost more weight. So on the whole happy with that one!

In the Full Lipid Profile for Cholesterol, I have a red flag for Triglycerides and an amber for cholesterol. In the notes that accompany this, it says that even small amounts of alcohol can raise triglycerides in some people and apart from this both readings can be improved by losing weight and taking more exercise. So I will try this on my own first for a few months. My cholesterol reading is 5.2 mmol/L when the range is up to 5. So it is not too high. I will ask my GP for more tests in six months.

One of the readings on my Blood Pressure is slightly high, but it has been this way for over twenty years and my GP is not unhappy with it, but it showed up as an 'amber' on this test. I am not going to bother too much about it, just continue to monitor it as I have been doing for the last twenty years.

I also have three ambers out of four categories in the kidney function test. None of them are much outside the range. I will ask my GP about this, although it does say that certain medications can cause this so I am hoping it is just a result of my Restless Legs medication.

So....Hopefully this time next year I can report that all the 'reds' and most of the 'ambers' have gone!

For those who might be interested : http://www.bluecrestscreening.com/health-check-packages
    Last edited by seven-day-weekend; 11-01-2019 at 10:15 AM.
    Member #10 of 2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
    • maman
    • By maman 11th Jan 19, 10:44 AM
    • 20,674 Posts
    • 122,852 Thanks
    maman
    Ladies.......The New Thread is open........

Sorry you missed us 7DW. LL started a new thread. Here's the link.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5943185

Would you post all your great goals for 2019 on there?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

530Posts Today

5,849Users online

Martin's Twitter