Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sexymouse
    • By sexymouse 13th Apr 16, 11:29 AM
    • 5,689Posts
    • 70,492Thanks
    sexymouse
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13
    • 13th Apr 16, 11:29 AM
    Official Trying to Conceive - Thread 13 13th Apr 16 at 11:29 AM
    This is the new thread for those trying for a baby.
    The previous one is here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5143999

Please be aware that this is a thread for those trying to conceive. If you wish to announce a pregnancy (or are only a couple of days from testing) and you have never used this thread before, please either wait until CD1 or use the less than 12 weeks pregnant thread. Hormones can run high on here (nature of the thread!) so please be sensitive. Many thanks!

List of Users
    Alex_88 TTC #1 since 09/15
    angel11 (34) TTC #1 Since 08/15
    Apple1985 (30) TTC #1 Since 12/15
    big5
    (33) TTC #2 Since 2/16
    cats2012 (27) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    Clarabell1984 (31) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    easilydistracted (33) TTC#1 Since 01/16
    Keekee (38) TTC #1 Since 05/15
    MancMama4 (35) TTC #1 () Since 04/15
    Meepmeep (40) TTC #1 Since 01/16
    Midget1907 (29) TTC #1 Since 09/15
    Milliebob (27) TTC #2 Since 05/15
    newthrift (25) TTC #1 Since 11/15
    pinkpetal (36) TTC #1 Since 10/15
    sexymouse (32) TTC #3 (
    ) Since 02/16
    Tinks05 (27) TTC #1 Since 03/16
    VicVics (29) TTC #2 Since 04/16

Those with * used Preseed/Conceive Plus

Thread Graduates
    big5 BFP 15/6/16
    sexymouse BFP 4/6/16
    newthrift BFP 23/5/16
    VicVics BFP 16/5/16
    MancMama4 BFP 29/4/16
    pinkpetal BFP 24/4/16
    Apple1985 BFP 19/4/16
    Tinks05 BFP 18/4/16

Link to abbreviations courtesy of MadMac from previous threads - http://www.tryingtoconceive.com/abbrevs.htm

The most common ones are:

AF - Aunt Flo (period)
    BFP - Big Fat Positive (+ on home pregnancy test)
    BD - Baby dance (making babies)
    CBFM - Clearblue fertility monitor
    CD - Cycle date (CD1 is the 1st day of period)
    DPO - Days past ovulation (if ovulation was on CD15, then that is 0DPO, CD16 is 1DPO)
    HPT - Home Pregnancy Test
    IC - Internet cheapie (IC OPKs, hpts)
    NTNP - Not trying not preventing (pregnancy)
    OV - ovulation
    OPK - ovulation predictor kits
    SBDTA - Sticky baby dust to all
    SS - symptom spotting
    Temp - temperature (BBT)
    TLP - Tiny little positive (faint positive on pregnancy test)

Also, an useful website telling you when to test, when you are ovulating and how the egg is developing etc found by Smash7 is here: http://www.pregnology.com

This website is also useful http://www.pregnancyloss.info/sperm_meets_egg_plan.htm
    It details the Sperm Meets Egg Plan (SMEP) which some have found helpful in conceiving.

Some TMI cm pics here:
    http://www.fertilityuk.org/nfps401.html

Drugs you can take when pregnant
    Some CBFM FAQs
    Vitamins and minerals that can aid conception and pregnancy

Sensitivity of home pregnancy tests (lower = more sensitive, earlier results)
    Superdrug Own Brand (pink box - states can use 4 days before late AF on box) 10mIU
    First Vue dip tests (poundland) - 20mIU
    One step midstream (ALDI) - 25mIU
    Clearblue - 25mIU
    Clearblue Digital - 50mIU
    First response early response - 12.5mIU
    Boots own brand - 25mIU/50mIU
    Sainsburys own - 15mIU
    Tesco own - 25mIU
    ASDA own - 25mIU
    CBD with conception indicator - 25mIU

There is no such thing as a silly question, so please ask anything you are curious about. Many of us have 'been there done that' and many of our graduates still read this thread and are happy to offer advice when it is needed and relevant.

As with everything deemed medical, we cannot offer medical advice, so please visit or call your GP if you have any concerns or questions. Getting a preconception check up is recommended and allows your GP to know that you're trying for a baby as well as identifying and rectifying any issues or problems that may interfere with a pregnancy before you conceive.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 17-05-2019 at 1:22 PM.
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Poppy born 8/11/2015, rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
Page 270
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 7th Oct 18, 9:07 AM
    • 1,161 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    2 Week Wait (BFP Hopefuls)
    CD41 Buttermint
    CD38 Thrift260
    CD28 WJN222

"If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD23 Missmoose
    CD15 Tryingin2018
    CD7 PrettyKittyKat

"Wine and Chocolate" zone
    CD13 Creditcardjunkie
    CD12 Faith177
    CD5 Skimper

Those we haven't heard from in a while:
    Nanyco, CamelLady, athensgeorgia, SlothSocks, wifeforlife, LKRDN_Morgan, Zeni, KatieBee123, April87

When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

For those posting on smartphones or tablets the code for magenta is
    ([ )COLOR="magenta"( ] )your text ( [ )/COLOR ( ] ) (lose the round bracket)

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up. If you would like adding to the lists just let me know what CD day you are (the first day of your period is CD1).

2018 Thread Graduates:
    Afoolandhermoney 23/01/2018
    Selement 9/3/2018
    Toots14 13/3/2018
    T4Taylor 29/3/2018
    NelliePie 13/4/2018
    HappyLassie13 20/5/2018
    Rambosmum 24/5/2018
    Celepie 30/5/2018
    HopHop 28/5/2018
    Gemini90 31/5/2018
    Sakurah 22/6/2018
    BapBap 1/7/2018
    KatieBee123 5/7/2018
    Lola25 11/7/2018
    HappyLassie13 1/9/2018
    BusyBargainz 5/10/2018
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 7th Oct 18, 9:08 AM
    • 1,161 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Congratulations BB! I hope you have a happy and healthy 9 months ahead of you!
    • HopHop
    • By HopHop 7th Oct 18, 9:11 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    HopHop
    Congratulations!! Wishing you all the best for an easy healthy pregnancy x
    • Buttermint
    • By Buttermint 7th Oct 18, 10:16 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Buttermint
    Morning ladies,

I hope people don't mind if I post a bit of an update- didn't want to take the shine off Busy's BFP (congrats again!) but I feel like I'm going to crack up

CD41 today- since Friday I have had brown & pink spotting. Not very much, as in it hasn't left any marks on a pad, it's only been there when I wipe (sorry if TMI). Been quite crampy but not too sore. Really no idea if this is AF coming or not- seems to be easing off rather than getting heavier.

I am so fed up. I honestly think if I was just getting regular periods I would find this easier to deal with as I could just get on with the next month, but these irregular long cycles are just tormenting me. My hopes are built up thinking maybe I'm late because I'm pregnant and then they get dashed constantly with BFNs. Then I start to worry that something else is wrong (like PCOS) and my hormones are constantly a mess and I never know where I am in my cycle.

Currently getting myself worked up thinking this could be implantation bleeding but can't help being a negative nancy and thinking no of course it's not.

No real point to this ramble, but I need someone other than my husband to talk to who just keeps answering me with 'sure we'll just wait and see what happens'...easy for him to say when he doesn't have to wonder what he's going to face every single time he goes to the loo!!!!

And breathe..sorry. Happy Sunday xxx
    • Celepie
    • By Celepie 7th Oct 18, 2:59 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    Celepie
    I’d really recommend temping. I had irregular cycles too and a history of long cycles (I had an 80-day cycle once) and found that temping really helped as I knew when my period was really due, as opposed to guesswork. I realised that all those times I thought I’d been ‘late’ I wasn’t actually late at all - my period arrived exactly when it should have based on ovulation, but I was trying to date it from what my body did last month or what an app said.

There’s a book called Taking Charge of Your Fertility that I recommend to everyone TTC as it teaches you how to understand your own cycle, rather than just going off what apps predict or the belief that every woman has a 28-day cycle. It really helped me understand my body when TTC and temping helped me gain control.
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 7th Oct 18, 5:14 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    Hey buttermint, sorry to hear about your AF troubles. Have you taken a test this time??

My husband is the same lol, my last period was late and I was getting on like a crazy lady and he was suggesting to wait a few weeks before taking a test lol. They drive you insane!

How long have you been trying & how long have you been off birth control??
    • GingerSaurus
    • By GingerSaurus 7th Oct 18, 6:02 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    GingerSaurus
    Buttermint I dont have much advice but I completely understand. It drives you crazy especially when your cycles are irregular. My husband is exactly the same, hes so laid back and Im a control freak. Like you say, I only have him to talk to about it so its so good to be able to vent on here!
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 8th Oct 18, 10:17 AM
    • 1,161 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    CD42 Buttermint
    CD39 Thrift260
    CD29 WJN222

"If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD24 Missmoose
    CD16 Tryingin2018
    CD14 Creditcardjunkie
    CD13 Faith177
    CD8 PrettyKittyKat

CD6 Skimper

Nanyco, CamelLady, athensgeorgia, SlothSocks, wifeforlife, LKRDN_Morgan, Zeni, KatieBee123, April87

When posting updates, can you please do them in Magenta so it's easy to spot. This thread is all about support, so remember to click thanks on as many posts as you can! It makes us all feel loved.

Please let me know if anything needs editing (including the zone you are in) and I will try to keep up. If you would like adding to the lists just let me know what CD day you are (the first day of your period is CD1).

2018 Thread Graduates:
    Selement 9/3/2018
    Toots14 13/3/2018
    T4Taylor 29/3/2018
    NelliePie 13/4/2018
    HappyLassie13 20/5/2018
    Rambosmum 24/5/2018
    Celepie 30/5/2018
    HopHop 28/5/2018
    Gemini90 31/5/2018
    Sakurah 22/6/2018
    BapBap 1/7/2018
    KatieBee123 5/7/2018
    Lola25 11/7/2018
    HappyLassie13 1/9/2018
    BusyBargainz 5/10/2018
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 8th Oct 18, 10:25 AM
    • 1,161 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Buttermint, I wouldn’t worry that it means something is wrong. I had two random long cycles about 6 months after I stopped the pill, in which time I’d had pretty regular cycles. Then my cycles seemed to go back to regular again! I’ve had blood tests since and told everything is ok. Hopefully it is a delayed BFP for you but if not it may just be one of those random things our body likes to throw at us!

Celepie, I felt like temping was too much like hard work but have been wondering about it recently. You’ve now convinced me to give it a go and I’ve ordered a thermometer that goes to 2 decimal places! Only £3.75 so no big loss if it doesn’t work for me. Are there any apps you would recommend to track the temp (or anyone else if you do this)?
    • Buttermint
    • By Buttermint 8th Oct 18, 11:41 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Buttermint
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your replies.

CD2 today- literally about an hour after I posted yesterday AF arrived- be careful I think the witch may read these forums lol.

Celepie-thanks for your advice on temping. Iíll be honest itís not something I have considered much in the past but after what you wrote I read a bit more and a lot of women said that although it doesnít tell you when you are about to ovulate, it reassured them seeing the change in temp after ovulation, just so they knew it had definitely happened & when to expect AF etc. so Iím giving it some thought.

CCJ- Iíve been off the pill now just over a year and trying properly since April. My cycles have been 28,33,53,46,52,33,32,37,34,40 days since September last year. Even Ovia doesnít know what to tell me anymore lol it just has a question mark now instead of telling me how many days to my next fertile window lol

Gingersaurus-bless our OHís for trying to be supportive but honestly sometimes he just makes it worse by taking such a relaxed approach. But he balances out my craziness so itís not really a bad thing.

PKK- thanks for your comforting words, I would like to think nothing is wrong but I guess only by going and getting a few tests done will I know for sure. Iíve also decided once AF is over I am joining slimming world. I need to shift this weight as no matter what the tests say, it canít be helping.

Thank you all again, I really appreciate having somewhere to say all of this. Hope everyone is well xx
    • GingerSaurus
    • By GingerSaurus 8th Oct 18, 12:11 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    GingerSaurus
    You can use Ovia to track temping. I tried it but gave up pretty quickly as the thermometer I bought beeps really loudly! I get up earlier than OH and he was complaining about being woken up. I might look for another one and try again.
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 8th Oct 18, 7:24 PM
    • 1,161 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Oh I have Ovia Ginger, I just haven't really bothered to look into all the things you can log hahaha Does it show your temps on a graph so you can see the trend? I never thought of how loud it beeps! Luckily my OH gets up first but that won't be very useful when we are staying away at family houses. I'll just have to cough loudly at the right time hahaha
    • GingerSaurus
    • By GingerSaurus 8th Oct 18, 8:22 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    GingerSaurus
    Yeah you enter the temps into the calendar and it shows it on a graph in the fertility chart section.
    • Celepie
    • By Celepie 8th Oct 18, 9:13 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    Celepie
    I like Fertility Friend for temping best. It looks a bit dated but the data analysis is way above any other app that I've tried.

I thought temping would be a faff too but once I started I realised that it's actually not AND any faff is totally outweighed by actually knowing that you've ovulated AND when to expect your period. So instead of the monthly 'my period is due today but it isn't here', when you temp you know exactly when it will arrive. It also taught me that OPKs were only semi useful for me - some months, I ovulated same day as my positive OPK, other times it was a day or two later. Only by temping was I able to pinpoint.

One month I decided to be 'casual' and take the month off temping and it was the most horribly stressful month TTC ever because I obviously ovulated later than usual and had no idea when my period was supposed to come so I felt like I was in limbo. I stuck to temping after that!

And it's accurate too: for my first scan I knew the exact date I had conceived on and it matched exactly with scan dates to the day - the sonographer was impressed!
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 9th Oct 18, 8:22 AM
    • 1,161 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    CD43 Buttermint
    CD40 Thrift260
    CD30 WJN222

"If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD25 Missmoose
    CD17 Tryingin2018
    CD15 Creditcardjunkie
    CD14 Faith177
    CD9 PrettyKittyKat

CD7 Skimper

2018 Thread Graduates:
    Selement 9/3/2018
    Toots14 13/3/2018
    T4Taylor 29/3/2018
    NelliePie 13/4/2018
    HappyLassie13 20/5/2018
    Rambosmum 24/5/2018
    Celepie 30/5/2018
    HopHop 28/5/2018
    Gemini90 31/5/2018
    Sakurah 22/6/2018
    BapBap 1/7/2018
    KatieBee123 5/7/2018
    Lola25 11/7/2018
    HappyLassie13 1/9/2018
    BusyBargainz 5/10/2018
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 9th Oct 18, 8:23 AM
    • 1,161 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Thanks Celepie, I am downloading FF right now!

I will use Ovia and FF and see which one I prefer
    • Buttermint
    • By Buttermint 9th Oct 18, 12:34 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Buttermint
    Hey PKK

Sorry its my fault for my long rambling post yesterday so was probably easy to miss my update but I am CD3 today

Thanks xx
    • skimper
    • By skimper 9th Oct 18, 3:39 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    skimper
    Could I be moved to If in doubt please?
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 9th Oct 18, 3:55 PM
    • 1,161 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    Sorry that's my fault Buttermint I realised a few hours ago so just popped back on now to change it!

I'll update you whilst I am here too Skimper
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 9th Oct 18, 3:56 PM
    • 1,161 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    CD40 Thrift260
    CD30 WJN222

"If in doubt - BD" Zone
    CD25 Missmoose
    CD17 Tryingin2018
    CD15 Creditcardjunkie
    CD14 Faith177
    CD9 PrettyKittyKat
    CD7 Skimper

CD3 Buttermint

2018 Thread Graduates:
    Selement 9/3/2018
    Toots14 13/3/2018
    T4Taylor 29/3/2018
    NelliePie 13/4/2018
    HappyLassie13 20/5/2018
    Rambosmum 24/5/2018
    Celepie 30/5/2018
    HopHop 28/5/2018
    Gemini90 31/5/2018
    Sakurah 22/6/2018
    BapBap 1/7/2018
    KatieBee123 5/7/2018
    Lola25 11/7/2018
    HappyLassie13 1/9/2018
    BusyBargainz 5/10/2018
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

502Posts Today

6,513Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Snap post #BBCOurNextPM poll: Who do you think did best. (I had to have two in one category, so I picked randoml? https://t.co/gYTNBBn3SP

• Emily Maitliss being v mean to Boris using his own past quotes against him on Heathrow, having an election when lea? https://t.co/4baNAlmMid

• Wow - impressive performance from the 15 year old climate change activist. Not sure I'd have had such confidence when still at school.

• Follow Martin