Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 4th Nov 13, 4:20 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Ryanair to charge £5 to pick a seat as it ends free-for-all
    • 4th Nov 13, 4:20 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Ryanair to charge £5 to pick a seat as it ends free-for-all 4th Nov 13 at 4:20 PM
    "Ryanair's free-for-all seating policy is to be scrapped from next February..."

Read the full story:

Ryanair to charge £5 to pick a seat as it ends free-for-all

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 3
    • CCFC_80
    • By CCFC_80 28th Apr 14, 7:22 PM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 977 Thanks
    CCFC_80
    No, I mean didn't they used to ask if you had packed the bag yourself etc. in a series of questions - you had to tick the box to indicate yes to each one?
    Originally posted by zaksmum
    No I don't think so, they would obviously ask you that if you were checking in a suitcase at airport.
    • rustyboy21
    • By rustyboy21 28th Apr 14, 8:03 PM
    • 2,506 Posts
    • 2,400 Thanks
    rustyboy21
    If you are going with hand luggage only, it will be screened at security. If you have a case to drop off, they ask the questions there at the desk. That's why I don't see a bag drop being any quicker than a normal check in desk
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 28th Apr 14, 8:22 PM
    • 3,934 Posts
    • 2,446 Thanks
    jpsartre
    They are ripping off passengers as much as possible now, aren't they?
    Originally posted by zaksmum
    What do you mean "now"? The boarding pass reprint fee has been in place for years and was much higher than £15 until recently.
    • zaksmum
    • By zaksmum 28th Apr 14, 9:26 PM
    • 5,431 Posts
    • 7,313 Thanks
    zaksmum
    I thought we used to be asked if we'd packed the bags ourselves and if we were carrying anything for someone else, just had to indicate yes to those questions.

Can't quite remember though.
    • erik99
    • By erik99 18th May 14, 2:17 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    erik99
    Ryanair squeeze even more money for seats
    I just checked-in online for a return flight to Spain with Ryanair. Because we were in the final week before flying out, we were graciously allowed free allocated seating for that journey. For the return trip, one week later, they would allow free allocated seating, but only if we checked-in up to seven days before flying. This was impossible, even with a one-week break, as we would be abroad and away from computer and printer for the boarding cards. So the only possibility was to "choose" to pay for allocated seating, at a cost of £5 each (for four people). This, on top of online check-in fees of £7 p.p. and "administration" fees of a further £7 p.p., each way. I refrain from further comment, as you would only censor it out in any case!
    • fifeken
    • By fifeken 18th May 14, 2:29 PM
    • 2,350 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    fifeken
    For the return trip, one week later, they would allow free allocated seating, but only if we checked-in up to seven days before flying. This was impossible, even with a one-week break, as we would be abroad and away from computer and printer for the boarding cards
    Originally posted by erik99
    Check in opens 7 days before as you say, but if you left today and were coming back a week today it would be open now (would have opened just after midnight last night). This means that on the day you leave you'll be able to check in for your return flight.

Failing that, find an internet cafe and do it sometime when you're away.
    • Jet2fan
    • By Jet2fan 18th May 14, 3:31 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Jet2fan
    Me, the wife and 3 kids (under 16)...

Why should i have to books seats ?

Ryanair HAVE A LEGAL DUTY to sit me and the wife with my children...

We MUST be sat as a party of 2 and 3 on their aircraft.

As far as i am concerned, i should be able to stroll last onto an aircraft and it is up to Ryanair to find me 3 seats and 2 seats together - I have paid them for the cost of the flights, surely it is up to them how to allocate our seats as they have a LEGAL duty to sit the 3 children next to a responsible adult !!

When we flew last year, we just strolled on dead LAST and said... "You have to find us a 3 and 2 seat together... this is your problem". People were shuffled about and moved so we could sit together... Albeit with much tutting. I did feel sorry for those with priority boarding and those who booked their seats.

But i see it as Ryanair's problem.

If at the time of booking, they do not have a system to recognize that a party with adults and children must be allocated seats together and consider there case as a special issue with special requirement, as it is their LEGAL REQUIREMENT to sit them next to each other, that is not my problem.

And i certainly am not going to "play ball" and start paying extra for 3 and 2 seats together.

If it was just me and the wife, that would be a totally different thing... I couldn't give a fig if they sit her at the front and me at the back and we are separate for 3 or 4 hours.... Then I would accept that if i wished to sit next to her i would have to pre-allocate my seats at my own expense.

Please note: I did not write the law with regards air carriers duty of responsibility, nor did i write Ryanairs own company policy.

In short, I should not have to pre-book my seats as there are rules and regulations already in place which cover that issue and eventuality.

It does not matter when i decide to saunter onto the plane... The issue has already been decided by Ryanairs own company policy.
    Last edited by Jet2fan; 18-05-2014 at 3:46 PM. Reason: Additional Info
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 18th May 14, 3:43 PM
    • 3,934 Posts
    • 2,446 Thanks
    jpsartre

Originally posted by Jet2fan
    Which law are you referring to? The only "law" about this I know of are the CAA guidelines which do not give you a legal right to be seated together.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 18th May 14, 5:54 PM
    • 19,004 Posts
    • 8,016 Thanks
    richardw
    ..... I should not have to pre-book my seats as there are rules and regulations already in place which cover that issue and eventuality....
    Exactly. They know you have children from your booking details and should sort things out, but the need and opportunity for additional revenues is too enticing for them.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 18th May 14, 5:56 PM
    • 19,004 Posts
    • 8,016 Thanks
    richardw
    Which law are you referring to? The only "law" about this I know of are the CAA guidelines which do not give you a legal right to be seated together.
    Originally posted by jpsartre
    Yes, but onboard the crew are very keen to adhere to them.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 18th May 14, 6:29 PM
    • 3,934 Posts
    • 2,446 Thanks
    jpsartre
    My point is that CAA regulations do not state that childen must be seated with their parents.

Ryanair's stated policy is that they will seat families together when possible anyway so they are already doing what you suggest in post 49.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 18th May 14, 6:37 PM
    • 19,004 Posts
    • 8,016 Thanks
    richardw
    My point is that CAA regulations do not state that childen must be seated with their parents..
    Originally posted by jpsartre
    What do the CAA state then?
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 18th May 14, 6:40 PM
    • 3,934 Posts
    • 2,446 Thanks
    jpsartre
    From the horse's mouth:

"Young children and infants who are accompanied by adults, should ideally be seated in the same seat row as the adult. Children and accompanying adults should not be separated by more than one aisle. Where this is not possible, children should be separated by no more than one seat row from accompanying adults. This is because the speed of an emergency evacuation may be affected by adults trying to reach their children.
    Whenever a number of infants and children are travelling together the airline should make every effort to ensure that they can be readily supervised by the responsible accompanying adults."
    • richardw
    • By richardw 18th May 14, 10:02 PM
    • 19,004 Posts
    • 8,016 Thanks
    richardw
    I don't think jet2fan is asking for more than the CAA advise.
    • SaveTheEuro
    • By SaveTheEuro 18th May 14, 10:41 PM
    • 876 Posts
    • 422 Thanks
    SaveTheEuro
    Me, the wife and 3 kids (under 16)...

Why should i have to books seats ?

As far as i am concerned, i should be able to stroll last onto an aircraft and it is up to Ryanair to find me 3 seats and 2 seats together - I have paid them for the cost of the flights, surely it is up to them how to allocate our seats as they have a LEGAL duty to sit the 3 children next to a responsible adult !!

When we flew last year, we just strolled on dead LAST and said... "You have to find us a 3 and 2 seat together... this is your problem". People were shuffled about and moved so we could sit together... Albeit with much tutting. I did feel sorry for those with priority boarding and those who booked their seats.

But i see it as Ryanair's problem.

If at the time of booking, they do not have a system to recognize that a party with adults and children must be allocated seats together and consider there case as a special issue with special requirement, as it is their LEGAL REQUIREMENT to sit them next to each other, that is not my problem.

And i certainly am not going to "play ball" and start paying extra for 3 and 2 seats together.

If it was just me and the wife, that would be a totally different thing... I couldn't give a fig if they sit her at the front and me at the back and we are separate for 3 or 4 hours.... Then I would accept that if i wished to sit next to her i would have to pre-allocate my seats at my own expense.

Please note: I did not write the law with regards air carriers duty of responsibility, nor did i write Ryanairs own company policy.

In short, I should not have to pre-book my seats as there are rules and regulations already in place which cover that issue and eventuality.

It does not matter when i decide to saunter onto the plane... The issue has already been decided by Ryanairs own company policy.
    You make a valid suggestion but I'm not sure that putting a word into capital letters several times creates the law you would like to see.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 19th May 14, 5:44 AM
    • 3,934 Posts
    • 2,446 Thanks
    jpsartre
    I don't think jet2fan is asking for more than the CAA advise.
    Originally posted by richardw
    Perhaps although I doubt being spread over several rows is what he had in mind when he demanded being sat as a party of 2 and 3.
  • WayneF
    Hidden Ryanair charges again
    I have just checked-in online for my family holiday flight on Saturday. No problem with the outgoing flight. I selected unallocated seats and got 5 together in a row. If everyone selects unallocated seats then I guess they will all be allocated from the front to the back, so everyone should sit with their group.

However, for the return journey, I could not select unallocated seats until 7 days before the return flight. As I am on holiday, and not taking my PC, printer and broadband connection, it seems I had the following options:

1. Select allocated seats now, at £5 each (£25) so that I can print off the boarding passes before I go,
    2. Check in at the airport on the way back. That is something like £70 (for the group or each - I didn't check)
    3. Find an internet cafe and try to print off boarding passes there. How much does that cost?

Either way, it is another hidden Ryanair charge
    • SaveTheEuro
    • By SaveTheEuro 15th Jul 14, 9:19 PM
    • 876 Posts
    • 422 Thanks
    SaveTheEuro
    I have just checked-in online for my family holiday flight on Saturday. No problem with the outgoing flight. I selected unallocated seats and got 5 together in a row. If everyone selects unallocated seats then I guess they will all be allocated from the front to the back, so everyone should sit with their group.

However, for the return journey, I could not select unallocated seats until 7 days before the return flight. As I am on holiday, and not taking my PC, printer and broadband connection, it seems I had the following options:

1. Select allocated seats now, at £5 each (£25) so that I can print off the boarding passes before I go,
    2. Check in at the airport on the way back. That is something like £70 (for the group or each - I didn't check)
    3. Find an internet cafe and try to print off boarding passes there. How much does that cost?

Either way, it is another hidden Ryanair charge
    Originally posted by WayneF
    You could check in free using the new Ryanair app. There's no need to print boarding passes.
    • PeteDoff
    • By PeteDoff 15th Jul 14, 9:48 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    PeteDoff
    As long as they don't sit the little darlings next to me, or I'll pull out my Photoshopped boarding card in the name of Rolf Harris, that'll shift em.
    Last edited by PeteDoff; 15-07-2014 at 9:50 PM.
    Turning left avoids some of the idiots (only some)
    • antenna
    • By antenna 16th Jul 14, 11:09 AM
    • 1,665 Posts
    • 1,001 Thanks
    antenna
    Find a internet cafe.....Simple,print out 5 boarding passes 2euro50cents .............it's not rocket science.
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,153Posts Today

7,194Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Gumtree: @MartinSLewis Hi Martin, we do not tolerate unscrupulous advertising by third parties on the Gumtree platform and are working?

• Today's Twitter Poll: How do you view nuclear power? Is it an environmentally friendly form of clean renewable ene? https://t.co/WE5pRJ1Jsx

• So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Follow Martin