Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 4th Nov 13, 4:20 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Ryanair to charge £5 to pick a seat as it ends free-for-all
    • 4th Nov 13, 4:20 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Ryanair to charge £5 to pick a seat as it ends free-for-all 4th Nov 13 at 4:20 PM
    "Ryanair's free-for-all seating policy is to be scrapped from next February..."

Read the full story:

Ryanair to charge £5 to pick a seat as it ends free-for-all

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 2
    • NFH
    • By NFH 4th Nov 13, 7:40 PM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 1,415 Thanks
    NFH
    That seems to happen in every airline. You know, the scrum at the Q, when your seat is assigned anyway! I just don't get that?
    Originally posted by melanzana
    I agree and I often think the same thing, but several incentives spring to mind when I think about it:
    • Finding optimal overhead locker space for your cabin baggage
    • Not having to wait behind the inconsiderate people who spend an excessive amount of time putting their baggage into the overhead lockers and subsequently stand in the aisle
    • Fear that someone will sit in your seat and you will have the hassle of evicting them (it does happen)
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 4th Nov 13, 7:48 PM
    • 3,338 Posts
    • 8,682 Thanks
    melanzana
    For some bookings presumably they will HAVE to allocated together regardless of payement - they can hardly sit parents at the other end of the plane from their screaming 4 year old...
    Although sometimes the parents might prefer it
    Originally posted by ellie3009
    Lol I'm sure some would!

But TBH, I think they might disperse families who haven't pre booked a seat. If they don't, they won't be seated together!

Then the next time, they will pay the fiver a seat!
    • Mr Wang
    • By Mr Wang 4th Nov 13, 8:04 PM
    • 1,265 Posts
    • 983 Thanks
    Mr Wang
    If its a short trip who cares?

I cannot understand the desire for a window seat. As soon as you sit down you need to have a P. and disturb everyone.

And all you can see are the clouds!

Maybe it's something to do with being able to fall asleep with your noggin facing the window so no one sees your drools. I dunno.

I don't mind what seat I'm in. I must be so happy To be travelling at all!

We are privileged. And maybe it's a competition as to who gets what.....

Daft.

Someone has to get the middle seat!
    If it's such a shirt trip why do you need a p?

In any case, you might think that all you can see is clouds, and perhaps you have flown so few times en route to Benidorm that maybe your statement is true.

But from the windows of aircraft I have seen the Northern lights over Canada, Mt Everest and the Himalayas over Nepal, the sky lines of New York, San Francisco, Hong Kong, Singapore, Dubai and countless Robinson Crusoe esque Islands. I've seen light fishing off the seas of Japan and forest fires in California.

One particularly interesting view was the Great Wall of China as we descended into Beijing and I remember flying over the UK on bonfire night and seeing the sky peppered with fireworks beneath us.

...you probably find this hard to believe since all you've likely seen is the guy sat next to you and the eats en route for a p
    • NFH
    • By NFH 4th Nov 13, 8:37 PM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 1,415 Thanks
    NFH
    If it's such a shirt trip why do you need a p?
    Originally posted by Mr Wang
    Some of us visit a lounge before every flight and avail ourselves of the unlimited booze. If it's a particularly good lounge, for example one of a flag carrier in its home country, one might arrive extra-early to make the most of it.
    • Mr Wang
    • By Mr Wang 4th Nov 13, 9:06 PM
    • 1,265 Posts
    • 983 Thanks
    Mr Wang
    Some of us visit a lounge before every flight and avail ourselves of the unlimited booze. If it's a particularly good lounge, for example one of a flag carrier in its home country, one might arrive extra-early to make the most of it.
    Originally posted by NFH
    Some of us fly that frequently that if we drank to excess in a lounge every time we flew we would have issues

...added to the fact that a huge proportion of airports in Asia don't have a lounge and problems arise for those who can't avoid alcohol for short periods.
    • harz99
    • By harz99 4th Nov 13, 10:11 PM
    • 2,865 Posts
    • 2,816 Thanks
    harz99
    As long as I get a seat that's not next to an obese unwashed person, I really don't mind. However, I've managed to avoid Ryanair for a few years now, my own personal protest against O'Leary's constant revenue raising schemes.
    Originally posted by Dave save
    As have I; this has just added another reason to avoid Ryanair.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 5th Nov 13, 3:40 AM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    Diabetics need to go to the loo more.
    • KTF
    • By KTF 5th Nov 13, 9:44 AM
    • 4,729 Posts
    • 1,940 Thanks
    KTF
    Diabetics need to go to the loo more.
    Originally posted by Pincher
    And this is relevant because?
    • NFH
    • By NFH 5th Nov 13, 10:36 AM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 1,415 Thanks
    NFH
    And this is relevant because?
    Originally posted by KTF
    I think Pincher was giving, in response to the comment in post 23, an example of people who need to go to the loo more often through no fault of their own, unlike my reason in post 24 which is entirely through my own fault.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 5th Nov 13, 6:31 PM
    • 8,409 Posts
    • 5,164 Thanks
    buglawton
    You will be assigned a seat. No worries. But if you are travelling with your children and maybe elderly relatives, you might like to ensure you are together.

Most, including myself couldn't care less, but will be happy that I know I have a seat assigned!
    Right, so when 100% of passengers decide not to pay the £5, everyone will be booked into the centre seat of the 3 and the others will remain empty?
  • dlawrock
    Ryanair hidden extras
    A while since there was a post here, but I've just found that if you DON'T want to pay the fiver for a seat, the online check-in window is between 7 days and 2 hours prior to the flight. Not handy at all for the return flight if you're away for anything over a week without access to a printer, but I expect O'Leary's got fingers crossed we'll try our luck and fail. Then dear reader, the charge at the return airport to check in will be .... I kid you not .... £70!!!

This effectively means for my 10 day jaunt soon, I'll be obliged to do the return flight check-in at home, with a £5 seat reservation, to avoid this risk. Which is also what the lovely Mr O'Leary wants.

So Ryanair have once again smuggled in a hidden extra via the back door. Plus ca change... Ironic Ryanair!
  • dlawrock
    Ryanair hidden extras - update
    Hi again just realised my previous post is wrong in that the £70 fee will only be charged if you haven't managed to check-in online while you're away. If you CAN do this online but haven't got a printer, then they ONLY charge £15 to print your boarding pass at the airport. So it's still risky if you're unsure of internet access while you're away anyway.
    • steve1500
    • By steve1500 10th Apr 14, 8:11 AM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 871 Thanks
    steve1500
    Lol I'm sure some would!

But TBH, I think they might disperse families who haven't pre booked a seat. If they don't, they won't be seated together!

Then the next time, they will pay the fiver a seat!

Re the children this is from the CAA

Young children and infants who are accompanied by adults, should ideally be seated in the same seat row as the adult. Children and accompanying adults should not be separated by more than one aisle. Where this is not possible, children should be separated by no more than one seat row from accompanying adults. This is because the speed of an emergency evacuation may be affected by adults trying to reach their children

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=2207&pageid=12706
    Last edited by steve1500; 10-04-2014 at 8:17 AM.
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA
    • lor6126
    • By lor6126 27th Apr 14, 2:50 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    lor6126
    Iv just went to check in for my ryanair flight on 30th April to Benidorm, No problems with outward flight as its only three days away.
    allocated a row of seats for the party and one across the aisle.

The return flight, on 8th may is a different matter, i cannot check in for it as it is more than seven days away unless i buy a seat. So i have to either take the chance i can find an internet cafe with printer in Benidorm once i am within seven days of flight, not what i really want to be doing on holiday, or pay £20 for seats just so i can get our boarding cards.

And three quarters of the plane was showing as booked so they are getting away with it.
    • antenna
    • By antenna 27th Apr 14, 4:39 PM
    • 1,665 Posts
    • 1,001 Thanks
    antenna
    78 internet cafes in benidorm.......and they all speak english........simples.
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
    • zaksmum
    • By zaksmum 28th Apr 14, 1:50 PM
    • 5,430 Posts
    • 7,312 Thanks
    zaksmum
    If you don't pay the seat allocation charge, at what point are you notified of your seat number?

Is it when you check in, or at the airport?
    • CCFC_80
    • By CCFC_80 28th Apr 14, 2:27 PM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 977 Thanks
    CCFC_80
    If you don't pay the seat allocation charge, at what point are you notified of your seat number?

Is it when you check in, or at the airport?
    Originally posted by zaksmum
    When you check in online, your seat number should be allocated.

Also just noticed if by any remote chance you can't find an internet cafe with a printer then Ryanairs charges for printing out boarding passes at the airport are £15.00 each.
    • zaksmum
    • By zaksmum 28th Apr 14, 3:22 PM
    • 5,430 Posts
    • 7,312 Thanks
    zaksmum
    When you check in online, your seat number should be allocated.

Also just noticed if by any remote chance you can't find an internet cafe with a printer then Ryanairs charges for printing out boarding passes at the airport are £15.00 each.
    Originally posted by CCFC_80
    They are ripping off passengers as much as possible now, aren't they?

A friend has just paid their seat allocation charge and checked in online. She says they now do not ask any security questions.

Am I right in thinking they used to?

Surely the security questions are legally required?
    • CCFC_80
    • By CCFC_80 28th Apr 14, 5:47 PM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 977 Thanks
    CCFC_80
    They are ripping off passengers as much as possible now, aren't they?

A friend has just paid their seat allocation charge and checked in online. She says they now do not ask any security questions.

Am I right in thinking they used to?

Surely the security questions are legally required?
    Originally posted by zaksmum
    Not entirely sure, what you mean. You have 3 options to check in by either entering, Your flight booking reference number, Your debit/credit card number or your email address that you made the booking on. No-one else should really have access to these. Are you saying this isn't secure enough as someone else would still need to get hold of your passport to get on the flight?
    • zaksmum
    • By zaksmum 28th Apr 14, 6:52 PM
    • 5,430 Posts
    • 7,312 Thanks
    zaksmum
    Not entirely sure, what you mean. You have 3 options to check in by either entering, Your flight booking reference number, Your debit/credit card number or your email address that you made the booking on. No-one else should really have access to these. Are you saying this isn't secure enough as someone else would still need to get hold of your passport to get on the flight?
    Originally posted by CCFC_80
    No, I mean didn't they used to ask if you had packed the bag yourself etc. in a series of questions - you had to tick the box to indicate yes to each one?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

104Posts Today

1,483Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @IsabelHardman: This is really good. For all the stuff about noisy rows over the past few days, it?s worth remembering that a lot of abu?

• This is why I wrote the guide to financial abuse. It's tough to know when it's happening to you. It's also worth? https://t.co/XGI2sI7hOU

• RT @David_Challen: Really happy @MartinSLewis is raising awareness of economic/financial abuse. My mother cleaned her cousins home for poc?

• Follow Martin