Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 21st Oct 13, 8:17 AM
    • 14,118Posts
    • 37,930Thanks
    redfox
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two
    • 21st Oct 13, 8:17 AM
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two 21st Oct 13 at 8:17 AM
    As the previous thread here had got very long, this is a new one for a continuation of the discussion.

From the original first post of the previous thread:

OK my freezer and stock cupboards are crammed full. I realise have spent a lot of money in the food in there. I want to save money by using these and only buy:
    . Milk
    . Fruit/Veg
    . Bread
    . Yoghurt
    . Breakfast cereal (only have 2 unopened packets)
    . Sandwich fillings (have one pack of ham in the freezer)

as these things I eat virtually every day

Until one of the following happens
    . I ran out of food
    . I have only fish fingers and cornflakes left.

It will be a challenge as I'm on weight watchers so I have to be extra creative to keep my points down.
    Originally posted by Middy
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 213
    • dannie
    • By dannie 31st Oct 18, 6:30 PM
    • 1,884 Posts
    • 4,424 Thanks
    dannie
    Mini-challenge for me is to end the month with just one freezer drawer (from four) being used. Earlier this year, it was just the one which was 90% full. At the start of this month, two drawers were full. I'll focus upon using up mainly my ready-made recipes.
    Originally posted by dannie

Just one freezer drawer full now!
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 31st Oct 18, 9:18 PM
    • 3,204 Posts
    • 11,586 Thanks
    Frogletina
    Last day of the month so here are my up to date lists of foods past there best before dates

In my cupboards

custard powder - enough for a few years yet! ( I read that someone used some which was 30 years old!)
    oats - I'm eating muesli every couple of days, might get finished
    sponge flour -
    1 packet of coconut flour - looking for ideas for this
    coconut oil x 2 - bought cheaply...it's lasting for ages
    PG tips and Nescafe - Only kept for visitors
    basmati rice - lots in bag still, and I don't eat it very often
    boil in the bag basmati rice - will use this month
    1 packet tilda plain rice
    5 packets tilda coconut rice
    Sultanas

stuffing mix
    ginger paste - -will try to remember to use it
    12 10 tins of mock duck - one tin lasts for 2 meals
    Gravy - rarely have gravy on my dinners

fridge/freezer

brie
    davidstowe cheese
    potatoes
    5 smooze fruit ices - had one tonight, but wrong weather for ices

So that is 26 items. I have only a few items listed for November and December that could be added to this list next month, but hopefully there won't be any to add.

I'm happy with my progress as I'm not only clearing my oldest items, but looking ahead each month so items there don't get added to the list - this month only the gravy has been added.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 #441 1567.31 SPC 9 #441 1014.64 SPC 10 #441 1164.13 SPC 11 #441 1598.15 SPC 12 #63
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 31st Oct 18, 9:24 PM
    • 3,204 Posts
    • 11,586 Thanks
    Frogletina
    Congratulations dannie

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 #441 1567.31 SPC 9 #441 1014.64 SPC 10 #441 1164.13 SPC 11 #441 1598.15 SPC 12 #63
    • dannie
    • By dannie 1st Nov 18, 10:23 AM
    • 1,884 Posts
    • 4,424 Thanks
    dannie
    Hi Frogletina,

Thanks for your message. I am pleased that I managed my set challenge.

Good luck with yours.

October 2018 food purchases were within budget; the third lowest money spent per month this year. Fridge and store cupboards are presently well stocked.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 1st Nov 18, 1:48 PM
    • 1,459 Posts
    • 11,271 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    It's turned very cold here so I've just turned off the underfloor central heating and fired up the Ironheart woodburner which means I'll be cooking on it over the winter. I actually use less electric in the winter than I do in the summer and all the wood is free.

Food for today
    Freezer: portion of soup, 2 rolls, aubergines, courgettes, portion of cooked mince, bit of cheese.
    Cupboards: things to make a fruit tealoaf,
    Fridge: more veg that need using up.

Yesterday collected all the medlars and some more rosehips. I'll make rosehip and orange marmalade later today as I've got the rest of the stuff needed. The medlars have to blett first which takes about 2 weeks before I can turn them into jelly, chutney and a liqueur (I've just found a recipe for it, so must give it a try)
    November 2018 42.83/100
    • caronc
    • By caronc 1st Nov 18, 6:49 PM
    • 5,390 Posts
    • 32,956 Thanks
    caronc
    In: nothing
    Out: turtle beans, chicken stock, red chilli

Used up: nothing

• zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 2nd Nov 18, 8:53 AM
    • 1,459 Posts
    • 11,271 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Out: turtle beans, chicken stock, red chilli
    Originally posted by caronc
    Turtle beans? what are they?

Yesterday the cooked mince turned out to be turkey soup made with the carcass - I should have labelled it, so that's to be used up today. I couldn't be bothered to wait overnight to soak the fruit for a tealoaf so made an apricot and sultana traybake and used some with custard for DH after tea. Half of the remainder went in the small freezer the rest in the tin to eaten this week.

OUT today
    freezer:- rolls, white fish, turkey stock
    Used up: veg from fridge, smoked haddock
    November 2018 42.83/100
    • meg72
    • By meg72 3rd Nov 18, 10:15 AM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    Oh well doneDannie, I did achieve one empty drawer this month but struck lucky with Asdas 10p reductions, couldn't pass that up, so filled it up again.

Will carry on using up this month, have plenty of homemade ready meals.

The best thing is I still have 40 left from grocery budget, so really pleased with the useup even if Ive not got my empty drawer lol.
    Slimming World at target
    • dannie
    • By dannie 4th Nov 18, 11:02 AM
    • 1,884 Posts
    • 4,424 Thanks
    dannie
    Thanks for your message meg72. I probably would have done the same as you regarding the "reductions".

I also have plenty of ready prepared meals to use up from my one freezer drawer and will continue to "use up" this month. Have to make some extra non-food purchases this month, so it will be handy to make use of these.
    • dannie
    • By dannie 4th Nov 18, 11:07 AM
    • 1,884 Posts
    • 4,424 Thanks
    dannie
    No weekend shopping (bicycle transport needs repairing). Concentrating upon using up fridge perishables at the moment, in particular reduced price (8) avocados and
    (2) cauliflowers.
    Last edited by dannie; 04-11-2018 at 11:12 AM.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 4th Nov 18, 5:40 PM
    • 1,459 Posts
    • 11,271 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    OUT
    freezer:-lamb (it's been in there undiscovered for a whole year hiding under come pork), puff pastry, apple mincemeat, aubergine, cougette, chilli, pepper, garlic - I was going to use this at lunchtime but didn't so will use it tomorrow.
    Fridge:- sausagemeat, veg
    Cupboards:- things to make a sponge topping.

IN
    I'll have to freeze a large proportion of the apple and mincemeat sponge pudding in individual portions when it has cooled down.

I had 3 sausage rolls left after lunch, I should have frozen them but the dog looked so sad that I had to cheer him up!!!!!!
    November 2018 42.83/100
    • pamsdish
    • By pamsdish 5th Nov 18, 8:16 AM
    • 1,255 Posts
    • 7,887 Thanks
    pamsdish
    Home Thursday after 16 days hols, dog to get from kennels, car was collected by my very obliging repair man, and done something to rear wheels, think brakes binding or something like that, making a crunching noise, so will need to call at atm, so will be foraging in my freezers for a few days to save going to shops, don,t use milk have frozen bread and know I have butter, so hope to manage for a while before spending much.
    2018 2285/2149
    2019 2000=1071-15=1056-11=1045-6=1039-20=1019-59=960-59=901
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 5th Nov 18, 1:09 PM
    • 16,738 Posts
    • 143,407 Thanks
    JackieO
    Out of the freezer

one barnsley chop
    small bag of green beans
    two balls of mashed potato
    small bag of carrot

That's tonight's dinner sorted

In
    nothing

Day five of trying not to buy anything much at all this month I am using up what I have as much as I can as my cupboards are far too full and only have a wee bit of wriggle room in the freezer.

JackieO
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 5th Nov 18, 10:35 PM
    • 1,459 Posts
    • 11,271 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Freezer:-
    Nothing out and nothing in, Eating leftovers out of the fridge from the past two days.

Jackie0. I've just seen your signature, am I correct in assuming you have only spent 307.43 on food this year - that's so impressive
    Last edited by zafiro1984; 05-11-2018 at 10:39 PM.
    November 2018 42.83/100
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 6th Nov 18, 2:36 PM
    • 16,738 Posts
    • 143,407 Thanks
    JackieO
    Freezer:-
    Nothing out and nothing in, Eating leftovers out of the fridge from the past two days.

Jackie0. I've just seen your signature, am I correct in assuming you have only spent 307.43 on food this year - that's so impressive
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    Indeed I have, its food only and there is only me to feed but I do use up as much as I can with zero wasteage.I make virtually evrything I eat I don't and haven't eaten bread for alomost 2 years and honestly don't miss it I only buy butter occasionally to use for making shortbread with .I spend about a third of my monthly budget on veg and fruit and manage to keep fairly healthy for my age which is shall we say getting on a bit

I do bake quite a bit and have a great barter system with friends for veg from their gardens thats surplus for cakes and biscuits .Or in the case of my sis-in -law who makes quite a bit of chutneys and pickles these I swap or my baking skills I am as happy having a veggie curry as a meat one but I do still eat meat ,but not as much as I sued to and its usually chicken. I do like and enjoy offal and living not too far from the sea I also enjoy fish.Its quite possible to live well for less if,like me, you can and enjoy cooking

JackieO xx
    • caronc
    • By caronc 6th Nov 18, 5:04 PM
    • 5,390 Posts
    • 32,956 Thanks
    caronc
    Turtle beans? what are they?
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    Sorry for being so slow to reply. They are black beans that I use in chilli etc. as I'm not keen on kidney beans.

AWOL for a few days due to family celebration and the shingles (not the best combination). Several things went in & then back out over the weekend.

Yesterday & today

In: tattie scones
    Out: tea bags, chicken wings
    Used up: aubergine, courgette, cucumber, pulled pork, cooked ham, cheese spread

• dannie
    • By dannie 8th Nov 18, 5:23 AM
    • 1,884 Posts
    • 4,424 Thanks
    dannie
    The first week of this month, mainly sorted out my "yellow sticker" food ("perishable" eight avocados and two cauliflowers). Made many uses of these but all took quite some time.

Still no bicycle transport has meant no shopping at the two most likely shops to bring back some food groceries. However, food has been purchased via an online order. Also, a few bits from the garden which still has more to collect; a task for today?
    • pamsdish
    • By pamsdish 8th Nov 18, 5:53 PM
    • 1,255 Posts
    • 7,887 Thanks
    pamsdish
    Will really need to tighten my belt, and eat only from freezers, kennels 20 more than expected, daily rate gone up 50p, car repairs expected approx 100, more work than expected 245. oh well such is life.
    2018 2285/2149
    2019 2000=1071-15=1056-11=1045-6=1039-20=1019-59=960-59=901
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Nov 18, 6:04 PM
    • 5,390 Posts
    • 32,956 Thanks
    caronc
    Apart from using up some lettuce nothing in/out/used up yesterday as out for dinner.
    Today-
    Out: sausages, root veg mash
    Used up: nothing

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 8th Nov 18, 6:06 PM
    • 16,738 Posts
    • 143,407 Thanks
    JackieO
    8 NSD in a row and still eating fine from the cupboards and freezer at the moment Tonight I am eating poached eggs on a couple of left over ham slices I rescued from the freezer this afternoon, I also have a few mushrooms so will probably use those up as well Not feeling very hungry to be honest so a light meal will suit me.Tomorrow night I shall have a HM fish pie from the freezer with some steamed cabbage and peas.
    I am out to dinner on Saturday night at my eldest DDs and Sunday I shall be at my youngest DDs for dinner so not a great deal used up this week ,but at least I don't need to go near a shop I am baking some cookies to take with me on Saturday and a mincemeat tart to take with me on Sunday But I have quite a bit in the cupboards and plenty of stuff to bake with I think I may need to get some odds and ends next Wednesday possibly which will be my first shop of the month :0

JackieO xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,066Posts Today

7,794Users online

Martin's Twitter