Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 21st Oct 13, 8:17 AM
    • 14,303Posts
    • 38,238Thanks
    redfox
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two
    • 21st Oct 13, 8:17 AM
    Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two 21st Oct 13 at 8:17 AM
    As the previous thread here had got very long, this is a new one for a continuation of the discussion.

From the original first post of the previous thread:

OK my freezer and stock cupboards are crammed full. I realise have spent a lot of money in the food in there. I want to save money by using these and only buy:
    . Milk
    . Fruit/Veg
    . Bread
    . Yoghurt
    . Breakfast cereal (only have 2 unopened packets)
    . Sandwich fillings (have one pack of ham in the freezer)

as these things I eat virtually every day

Until one of the following happens
    . I ran out of food
    . I have only fish fingers and cornflakes left.

It will be a challenge as I'm on weight watchers so I have to be extra creative to keep my points down.
    Originally posted by Middy
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 212
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 22nd Oct 18, 10:18 AM
    • 3,205 Posts
    • 11,595 Thanks
    Frogletina
    My eating out of the freezers and cupboards challenge is going extremely well at the moment.

I will update at the end of the month as to the contents but I've the last days of this month all planned out and on cards stuck to the fridge freezer.

I have one large drawer with cupboard items in and below that is a second drawer which has a basket in with baking items in it, reducing well, and next to that I have tea and coffee (neither of which I drink). The only other places I keep food in is a colander for potatoes, a bowl for eggs and the fridge freezer.

I'd like to say that I will be able to use up all best before items by the end of the year, but that is unlikely because of the nature of the items. However, very little is going to be added to the list of bb items as my purchases at the moment are fresh items, bread, milk, veg, eggs. cheese etc.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 #441 1567.31 SPC 9 #441 1014.64 SPC 10 #441 1164.13 SPC 11 #441 1598.15 SPC 12 #63
    • caronc
    • By caronc 22nd Oct 18, 6:36 PM
    • 5,684 Posts
    • 34,605 Thanks
    caronc
    Yesterday & today
    In: pork mince, pork burger
    Out: chicken stock, cupasoup, corn cobs, stuffing mix

Used up: 1/2 courgette, 1/2 pepper, cooked ham, chorizo, chilli cheese slice

• caronc
    • By caronc 23rd Oct 18, 6:26 PM
    • 5,684 Posts
    • 34,605 Thanks
    caronc
    In: nothing
    Out: cottage pie
    Used up: cheese spread

• Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 23rd Oct 18, 6:41 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 3,656 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    OUT of the freezer today - half a 50/50 loaf, a Gluten Free Loaf and a pack of Gluten Free Crumpets.

INTO the freezer over the past couple of days - 1 x 500gm tub + 1 x 250gm tub HM Minced Beef Hotpot / 5 x 250gm tubs of HM Leek&Potato Soup / 4 portions of Kidney / 3 containers of HM Turkey Jalfrezi / 4 containers of HM Gluten Free Lasagne / 2 pks x 4 Gluten Free Sausages / bag of Frozen Cod pieces / bag of Frozen Haddock pieces / 1 Spatch-cocked Garlic Butter Chicken (poss Christmas Lunch)

I now consider us to be 'well-stocked' for the coming months - and will only need to buy fresh fruit & veg, milk and possibly bread for the next couple of months . At some stage, I'd like to get a couple of Ham Shanks to make 'Shank Stew' and 'Yellow Split Pea&Ham Soup' - can't have OH revolting if there's none of those on stand-by !

Still meaning to do a 'complete freezer inventory' - I've a darn good idea of what's actually in there (recently defrosted), but would like to get it down on a Spreadsheet so I can get my head around it all .
    Last edited by Olliebeak1951; 23-10-2018 at 6:47 PM.
    • abbe89
    • By abbe89 23rd Oct 18, 9:29 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 1,622 Thanks
    abbe89
    Out so far this week: Lots of fruit for smoothies (but no packages finished yet!)
    In: portion of mexican meatballs, 2 mini ice cream pots, 1 frozen gluten free burrito

I feel like things have slowed down a little - had a food shop come and I've been eating all the fresh stuff in one go rather than rationing it alongside my freezer supplies!

Time to refocus and replan I think!
    • caronc
    • By caronc 24th Oct 18, 6:50 PM
    • 5,684 Posts
    • 34,605 Thanks
    caronc
    Out: belly pork, cooked rice
    Used up: nothing

• Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 24th Oct 18, 8:36 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 3,656 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    OUT of freezer - 5 Potato Waffles.
    OUT of fridge - Mushrooms - past their best, but still / 4 eggs - slightly ood - but perfectly fine
    OUT of cupboard - tin of Baked Beans / whoopsied tin (dented) of Apricots (remainder now in container in fridge for next couple of days).

Nothing at all 'IN' anywhere !
    • caronc
    • By caronc 26th Oct 18, 7:08 PM
    • 5,684 Posts
    • 34,605 Thanks
    caronc
    Yesterday & today:-
    In: breaded pollock, cupasoup
    Out: spicy chicken & peppers, refried beans, potato croquettes, tea bags, cupasoup
    Used up: wraps, coleslaw, broccoli

• dannie
    • By dannie 27th Oct 18, 4:47 AM
    • 1,916 Posts
    • 4,453 Thanks
    dannie
    Since my last post (last Monday) :-

One (food) grocery order received and one delivery of a coffee substitute.

The aim to reduce the contents of the freezer drawers is going fairly well but I think I'll not quite manage, to just have one full drawer by the end of this month.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 27th Oct 18, 6:29 PM
    • 5,684 Posts
    • 34,605 Thanks
    caronc
    Out: naan, frankfurters
    Used up: mozzarella, bacon
    Ditched - gutted out my fridge and binned a good few very OOD ends of jars

• caronc
    • By caronc 28th Oct 18, 6:37 PM
    • 5,684 Posts
    • 34,605 Thanks
    caronc
    Out: baked beans, braised steak & onions
    Used up: spuds, carrots and parsnips went into a big pot of root veg mash, mozzarella

• abbe89
    • By abbe89 28th Oct 18, 8:08 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 1,622 Thanks
    abbe89
    Out: to defrost for the next couple of days: 2 x chicken, paneer and spinach curry and 2 x chicken and leek soup.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 28th Oct 18, 11:20 PM
    • 1,540 Posts
    • 11,698 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    I need to join in again

I tend to live out of my freezers, I grow veg/fruit and freeze, rear turkeys and freeze, tend to buy by the carcass and freeze. The problem is that my obsession is 'I hate waste' so I'm always on the look out for more things to freeze so the freezers are always stuffed full of food.

Today for example: I picked all the windfalls from the Bramley tree processed and froze them, collected a bucket full of crab apples and some rosehips so I can make jam tomorrow but if I haven't time guess where they will end up. This evening I made sweet potato and leek soup with a bit of celery and carrot (all home grown) enough for tomorrows lunch and guess what, I made too much so I had to freeze the rest. Goodness knows when we will eat it.

I posted on this thread a couple of years ago and it helped so I need to join in again. I knew I had to do something when my DH suggested I bought another freezer - that would make 5
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 29th Oct 18, 10:11 AM
    • 1,540 Posts
    • 11,698 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Day one, feeling hopeful!!

I've just emptied the small freezer under the fridge and stocked it with enough home made ready meals and meat from the other freezers to last until the weekend, along with some uncooked frozen veg and fruit. I even put some bread, wraps, rolls and milk in it. Hopefully, it will add a bit of structure to what I need to do.

I'm just going to record what has come out of the freezers or cupboards not fresh stuff. List of items for today for two of us - It looks a lot but we always seem to have different meals.
    Freezer:-
    chicken soup, 2 turkey/apricot burgers, bread rolls, sweet potato and leek soup, turkey casserole, bread and butter pudding with mincemeat from last year. raspberries, a pasta dish with herbs, toms and peppers.
    Cupboard:-
    Things to make dumplings.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 29th Oct 18, 6:52 PM
    • 5,684 Posts
    • 34,605 Thanks
    caronc

I'm just going to record what has come out of the freezers or cupboards not fresh stuff.
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    That's what I do, though I include fresh things in my use ups if it needs using or it will get wasted

In: scotch pie

Out: cupasoup
    Used up: cucumber, 1/2 tin baked beans

• dannie
    • By dannie 30th Oct 18, 4:39 AM
    • 1,916 Posts
    • 4,453 Thanks
    dannie
    Since last Saturday, local weekend shopping brought in some "yellow-sticker" items but these have not ended up in the freezer (yet?). Also, purchased some store cupboard food flavourings.

The end of tomorrow will "reveal" whether I have managed to reduce freezer contents to one drawer only. Also, will calculate how much was spent on food in October.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 30th Oct 18, 8:27 AM
    • 1,540 Posts
    • 11,698 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Yesterday went OK to a point, but at lunchtime my DH suddenly announced that there was a lecture we needed to go in the evening so there was a bit of reorganizing dinner but I managed to stay with the original concept and just used food from the small freezer.

Day Two
    OUT
    Freezer - peas, 4 slices bread, 2 pieces cake, apricots, milk, soup, aubergines, tomatoes.
    Cupboards - things for crumble topping,
    Fridge - casserole which was on the list for yesterday, opened pack of bacon, peppers which I forgot to freeze.
    Last edited by zafiro1984; 30-10-2018 at 8:34 AM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 30th Oct 18, 6:50 PM
    • 5,684 Posts
    • 34,605 Thanks
    caronc
    Lots of fresh stuff into the fridge as well as

In: chicken breasts, root veg mash, sandwich pickle
    Out: beef olive, peas
    Used up: cold meat, end of a head of lettuce

• zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 31st Oct 18, 8:55 AM
    • 1,540 Posts
    • 11,698 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    So far so good.

Out for today
    Freezer:- toms, aubergines, pepper, garlic, grated cheese, 2 slices bread, beans, sweetcorn, bits of cooked turkey, a couple of pieces of cake to transform into a pudding.
    Fridge:- some mince that needs using up, plus veg
    Cupboards:- things to make a caramel sauce, pulses and stock cubes for soup.

I'm working my way through the vegetables in the fridge and have come to realise that I should use what I grow not buy things I can't grow like cauliflowers.
    The dog helped us finish off the casserole from yesterday so It's soup for lunch!!!

I've a 'funny order' coming from Asd.. this evening, it's just milk, bread and dog food, enough for the month - I'm trying not to go to the supermarkets as I know I'll spend on things I don't need, just to 'stock up'
    • caronc
    • By caronc 31st Oct 18, 5:16 PM
    • 5,684 Posts
    • 34,605 Thanks
    caronc
    Out: chicken thighs, corn cob, tea bags
    Used up: last of the homegrown tomatoes will be roasted to make passatta while I've got the oven for dinner.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

284Posts Today

4,895Users online

Martin's Twitter