Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 12th Mar 13, 11:08 AM
    • 1,235Posts
    • 3,568Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    Sell your gold - guide discussion
    • 12th Mar 13, 11:08 AM
    Sell your gold - guide discussion 12th Mar 13 at 11:08 AM
    Hi

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 4
  • Softasputty
    Selling gold to RoyalBuyers.co.uk
    I sent a small quantity of jewellery off to thus online gold buyer. They took ages to give me a price. They are quoting 145 for just over 18 grams. Is that reasonable or should I ask them to return my gold?
    • jo901288
    • By jo901288 7th Apr 14, 10:25 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    jo901288
    Selling a 9ct gold amethyst bracelet
    Hi can anyone tell me where the best place is to sell a 9ct gold amethyst bracelet (in the North West)? Obviously I won't get much selling it for scrap gold (as the main weight of the bracelet comes from the gemstones). I have been offered just over 190 (based on the weight of the bracelet) from these companies where you send off your jewellery to them (mygoldbuyer.co.uk) but I've never used these types of companies before so not sure whether they're reliable - can anyone help please?
  • louisdrive
    Hatton Garden Metals
    Hello,
    1st time i have posted on here however I feel i need to mention the FANTASTIC service that HGM provided me with. I done an online calculation on Saturday 7/6/2014 in the morning. I then checked your forum and was a little worried as most of the comments in relation to HGM where very dated (hence I am doing this) i decided to give it a go as they were offering 70.00 more than my local shop.
    I posted it before 12 noon on Saturday and got an email from them at 10am on Monday 9/6/2014 to confirm arriva lof gold and that they were willing to give me 13.00 over the estimation which was 589.00. The money was in my bank by 4pm that day !
    What a fantastic service.... Great company.
    Highly recommended !!!!
    • Dave the Ginger Cat
    • By Dave the Ginger Cat 15th Jun 14, 9:39 AM
    • 1,015 Posts
    • 772 Thanks
    Dave the Ginger Cat
    According to eBay, which is a great price setter in such matters, the going rate for 9ct scrap seems to be just under a tenner a gram.
    So many glitches, so little time...
  • cutiecassie
    Hiya, this is just my first time posting. Can anyone help to advice where I should sell my 18k and 22k solid gold jewelleries in London? I saw a chance on selling them on ebay but seeing the final charge and paypal fee was discouraging me from doing it. It would be very hard for me to get to the ideal price where it should sell at.
    Also, what is the going rate for selling at the moment? I have a white 916 necklace with a beautiful design of the lace (it's like 5 small round bits joined in a row all along like a lace; beautiful!) to mention one of them; so they're not scrap stuff.
    Please please please advise.. and thank you so much!
  • aliasojo
    Thought I'd post my experience with Lois Jewellers (Birmingham) in case it helps anyone.

After phoning round a number of places both online and locally to check the price per gram of 9ct scrap gold, I decided to use Lois Jewellers as the price they offered was the best (also better than Hatton Garden Metals) and they gave me friendly advice when I called them to query something. (Incidentally the prices quoted ranged from 6.25 to 9.08 so well worth checking a few places first before picking somewhere.)

I posted off my scrap gold via Special Delivery on Thursday lunchtime and it arrived at Lois at 10am on Friday morning. By 11.30 I had a phone call offering me a price.

The price offered was very slightly less than the online calculator on their site had quoted but as I had weighed my gold using old and somewhat unreliable kitchen scales I am not in the least surprised that the weight measured a little differently. I had also included old earrings that had (fake!) stones in them so these would have been excluded from the weight too. I had actually expected the weight (and therefore the price offered) to be much more out than it was so I was really pleasantly surprised.

I agreed the price offered and the money was in my account an hour later.

I have to admit to being initially wary about the whole thing simply because of the unknown and the 'got lost in post' potential risk factor but I have been very pleased with how smoothly and how quickly it all went.

Top marks to Lois, I wouldn't hesitate to use them again and I'm happy to recommend them to others.
    Herman - MP for all!
  • Big man 31
    I have just sent off some gold to royal gold buyers but herd nothing and can't get hold of them should I be worried?
  • Big man 31
    I sent a small quantity of jewellery off to thus online gold buyer. They took ages to give me a price. They are quoting 145 for just over 18 grams. Is that reasonable or should I ask them to return my gold?
    Originally posted by Softasputty
    How long did they take as I have just used them?
  • sambowrose
    3 coloured gold ring, how best to sell
    can anyone help, i have two three coloured diamond cut rings that i dont wear and didnt know how best to sell them. postal site, or ebay. any help greatly appreciated.
  • LKTODAY
    Birmingham Gold Company
    Just a little bit of info based on my recent experience.Over the last 2 years I have bought and sold a fairly large amount of jewelry/gold from internet companies to Hatton Garden in London, in person. Anybody taking a trip to Hatton Garden please please please go to lots of different merchants and DO NOT take the first second or third offer.The quotes range from decent to obscene and you can lose a lot if you do not keep your wits about you.Take the guy I finally decided to deal with. He very conveniently forgot to quote the odd bit of gold and chose to round things up weight wise in his favour - after all, half a gram is still worth 4 pounds-The charm forming part of my bracelet had the familiar 5 1960s banknote rolled up, He smashed the glass surround in order to exclude it from the weigh in and again, conveniently slipped his hand over it as i went to leave, in the hope I would forget. I didn't and the mint old fiver could have sold on ebay for 4 times its face value. I sent some jewellery to Birmingham Gold Company the other day..own cost to send and was phoned the next day with an offer which I accepted..Two days later, the money is still not in my account. Mr Grumpy answered the phone at 6pm to me muttering he shouldn't have answered the phone anyway,and quite honestly was downright rude.The impression I got was," the monies left our account so blame Santander because their fast payment is not so fast.". Fair enough but check the attitude and the manner which you relay the information and don't go at me like I owe you. They have your stuff , you get the money whenever it gets there" attitude. I will definitely go back to Hatton Garden Metals, an online company who are extremely fair in price and the money is immediately paid through BACS within the hour. Birmingham Gold Company did do a good price in fairness, but the attitude they showed when I questioned the whereabouts of my payment, leaves a lot to be desired Bear in mind if anything goes wrong. No reason they cannot use BACS because after all, some people are selling their gold for fast cash.
    • dory22
    • By dory22 8th Oct 14, 11:02 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 432 Thanks
    dory22
    LKTODAY Can i ask which companies you buy your gold from? iv been using charity shops and car boots but last few months been very little about.
  • sambowrose
    hiya, can anyone please help. i have a few tri coloured items (rose, white and 14k gold)would i be best selling them on ebay. theyve been sat upstairs and no use to me, but id like to treat my girls to a holiday, so thought this could be a little start up fund. any help greatly appreciated.
    • clivep
    • By clivep 10th Dec 14, 1:30 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    clivep
    Another vote for Lois from me.

After reading this guide I sent them various items yesterday. My scales weren't that accurate but I worked it out at about 224 plus a couple of other odds and ends. They phoned this morning to offer 255.46 which I accepted and the money was in my account early afternoon.

Excellent service.
  • GoldFather
    Macro Trend Price of Gold
    I just came across a chart that seems pertinent with regard to this discussion.

Analysis of this chart indicates that we are currently at or around the best time to sell gold for the most money. The macro trend price of gold chart found on the US Government financial market webpage indicates that we are below the peak gold prices with current macro indications trending down through 2015.

Thought this could shed a little light onto the issue at hand.
    It's a beautiful day in the Vegas neighborhood. Wont you be my neighbor?
    • Sazzie23
    • By Sazzie23 24th Feb 15, 8:37 AM
    • 2,620 Posts
    • 10,506 Thanks
    Sazzie23
    Hi

If there is a hallmark on the chain clasp does it mean the whole chain is the same carat weight?
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • k993257
    Sold My Gold in London Town!
    Hi, Wanted to pass on my experience. I read Martin's guide before heading off to London. I was going anyway so no transport costs to be considered.

Tried 3 shops in Hatton Gardens, first one Farringdons offered 380 for what I had.

Second one (sorry cant remember name but it has an outdoor counter) offered 490.

Last one (stand in the Hatton garden market set up) after much deliberation offered 590. I took it.

It can be quite a nerve racking experience if you are not used to this kind of thing, and you need to be confident and not tell them what the last place offered, but for me it really paid off.

The price I calculated online would have been 503 if I got the weights right, but I would have had to pay postage.

One thing that did worry me was then having all that cash on me, especially with people about watching what is going on. So went straight to the bank after the transaction.

Good experience for me
  • dga3240
    Selling mixed gold?
    Hi, I've just joined the forum and I can tell you, I'm lost already, so please be patient!

I have a gold half hunter watch and chain that belonged to my grandfather who was a very senior police officer. It has been sitting in a draw for a very long time, so I decided it has to go. Reading the guides here, I sent photographs off to an on-line dealer in old watches. He gave me an offer for the lot -- gold watch made by Byrne of Liverpool, gold chain, and the ten dollar gold coin dated 1910 attached to the chain but subject of course to seeing them. I then took these to town (75 mile round trip!) and visited several jewellers. Now this is where I came unstuck! An antique dealer made me a straight offer. He thought the (not working, cracked case) watch could be repaired, so he obviously wasn't intending to scrap it. The first jeweller wanted to buy the chain alone, without the coin or the watch. To complicate matters further, it seems the watch (less the internal workings) is 18 carat gold but the chain is 9 carat. Bearing in mind that I live fairly remotely in the Highlands of Scotland (!), do I break these items into lots, rip the watch apart to sell the gold content, detach the coin and sell that separately, or put the lot on Ebay with a decent reserve, or just sell to an on-line scrap dealer if I can interest them? Incidentally, the offers in town varied hugely which adds suspicion to my confusion! I really don't know what to do now and it is certainly a long way from weighing it all on the kitchen scales and multiplying that number by the price of gold!
  • Spaussie
    Sell gold in uk or spain
    Hi, i've been living in spain for a few years and going back to uk for a few months and want to take some extra cash over. Should i sell my gold in spain or uk? Where would i get more money value thanks.

By the way going to liverpool if anyone can reccommend a good jewllers or something
    • mickaveli2001
    • By mickaveli2001 5th Aug 15, 7:53 AM
    • 1,970 Posts
    • 1,508 Thanks
    mickaveli2001
    Should keep the gold. Gold is the real currency
  • Shanky76
    Hello All,

There are plenty reviews which is very valuable for anyone who want to see gold.

I had two bad experience with Gerrads; today and another one last year.

I had a 22ct gold coins, bought in India as a savings and I have to sell due to my personal circumstances. First, I have been to Gerrads as they appeared to offer a better rate.

But out of 240 gm they said it weight only 237 gm...already (61 quid gone..as the rate is 20.23 per gram today). This is exactly happened last year as well. grams tend to disappear on their scales!!

Then I went to Hattongardenmetals which is really less than 50 meters, they have agreed as it is 240 gms..But here is the catch initially said it will be 19.80 pounds per gram..I told them gerrads giving me higher rate.
    With negotiation they have agreed with 20.23 per gram.

But unfortunately they have to melt and assay it...I have waited for 1.5 hrs as I am not from London. Then I have been advised it was 21.6ct rather than 22ct....rate has gone back below 20 pounds per gram. Initially I didn't realise it is about 100 pound difference, but said okay.

After just coming out, it didn't feel right..looked the rate on Lois jewelley at Birmingham where I sold the same coins in the past as 22ct; rate is 20.23 per gram

Back to hattaongardenmatals, asked them for returning my melted gold. Initially I have been told money has been paid, but I said I will return on the spot..then they have added another 40 pounds than the quoted value.

ADVISE here:

1) Don't sell in large amounts..it always ask troubles.

2) If they quote a higher rate per gram, then they are very likely to bring the rate down on playing with grams or carrot value.

Only one without any problem was Lois jewellery (sold gold 2 times last year), very honest.Usually they don't melt..scanning in a minute they tell you the rate immediately.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

792Posts Today

6,597Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin