Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 14th Feb 11, 4:38 PM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: Warning over new compulsory car insurance rules
    • 14th Feb 11, 4:38 PM
    MSE News: Warning over new compulsory car insurance rules 14th Feb 11 at 4:38 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"All motorists in Great Britain will have to insure their vehicle unless it is formally declared off-road ..."

Page 5
  • it_was_me
    Well Chaps & Chapesses!

This sounds like ANOTHER money spinner for the Insurance Company. Firstly they bow to Europe by agreeing to bring Women's Premiums in line with Men's, but some how manage to get away with increasing Women's by up to 40% but conversely reducing Men's by no more than 10%, so either they have monkeys working their finance department or they are once again taking us for a ride down pay up lane! Personally I suspect its both....

In this case though I think the latest money generator will be a small increase. If you do own a vehicle or motorhome that is off the road most of the time just declare it SORN. It might be a bit more paperwork, but you would save on not having insurance or needing tax! Its what I do when I go away for long periods. Why give the Tax man and the insurance company any more money?!

I certainly believe in stopping these "uninsured drivers" who blatantly break the law, but in reality it never happens. You only have to watch Traffic Cops, or Police Camera Action to see that not only do these people not have insurance, but they hardly ever have an MOT, TAX, or even a valid license!! And what do they get...........Another suspension on their license.......yes thats right, the license they dont even have. So why do they care? And when they do get their two weeks in prison they come straight out and reoffend. I would sooner see my taxes putting reoffenders in prison for 5 years flat rate sentence. That would soon reduce their reoffending! Especially as if they hit you, your left with the bill and they just walk away eventually, so why dont we stop penalising the insured driver for once and actually do something to stop these scroats!

And Relax.....

BIGGADY_PETE
  • rrc
    I'm I still covered?
    Does this mean that if my sons car is Sorn I can no longer drive it with my insurance as I have 3rd party insurance clause to drive any other car not beloning to me included in my fully comp policy. I have produced this many times before and have been covered.
  • mikey72
    Does this mean that if my sons car is Sorn I can no longer drive it with my insurance as I have 3rd party insurance clause to drive any other car not beloning to me included in my fully comp policy. I have produced this many times before and have been covered.
    Originally posted by rrc
    You can no longer drive it, your son needs to have insurance on the car, or as you say it needs to be sorn, so no-one can use, or even park, it on the road.
    • Andy L
    • By Andy L 23rd May 11, 8:34 AM
    • 9,833 Posts
    • 8,877 Thanks
    Andy L
    Originally posted by rrc
    If the car is SORNed it has no road tax so you couldn't drive on your insurance for that reason.
    • johncas1
    • By johncas1 4th Dec 11, 9:57 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    johncas1
    If you only use your car a few times a year then why have one use a taxi cheaper than running a car and your not going to sorn your car and use it without insurance not with all those ANPR cameras out there.

i's just a case of insure your car or don't have one if everyine had insurance then insurance would be cheaper because it's uninsured drivers who makes premiums higher.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 5th Dec 11, 12:24 AM
    • 29,148 Posts
    • 11,960 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Last post was over 6 months ago................
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
  • Bingonain
    New Rules for Car Insurance??
    My daughter, who does not hold a driving license, has always paid through her Bank Account for her Partner's Car Insurance, as he does not have a Bank Account. She just rang to swap insurance onto a new car they have just purchased, and has been told that this cannot now be done, either he has to have a bank account as he is the License holder, or she will have to have a License in order to pay the Insurance ! I cannot find anything on the internet to verify these new rules. Has anyone else heard of this new rule please?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 11th Jun 12, 11:11 AM
    • 39,247 Posts
    • 23,205 Thanks
    Quentin
    It isn't a "new rule", their insurer seems to be insisting on this.

If she is just paying for his policy, then how do they know she has no licence, and why is she ringing to make the changes?
  • Bingonain
    She has always dealt with his Insurance, with same Company for years, pure and simple because he does not have a bank account, so she has always paid on Direct Debit for him, never had a problem before. When she rang today to swap the Insurance onto the new vehicle, they insisted it cannot be done this way now, either he must pay as the Driver License holder, or she would have to have a License !
    • huckster
    • By huckster 11th Jun 12, 11:16 AM
    • 3,636 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    huckster
    Sounds odd. Normally he picks up the phone to arrange relevant cover and advises he needs to have a third party make the payment. Then they hand over the phone to your daughter and she authorises the relevant payment.

If they do it this way, there should not be a problem.
  • Bingonain
    Yes, that is how it has always been, but the girl on the phone from the Insurance Company is stating this can no longer be done, due to a 'change in the law'. I have searched and searched and can find no mention of this change anywhere!
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 11th Jun 12, 11:38 AM
    • 39,247 Posts
    • 23,205 Thanks
    Quentin
    The insurance company may have accepted her instructions previously, but if there is no formal arrangement for this, then they are correct in not taking any instructions from her. (Assuming the policy is in the name of the partner)

If there is no arrangement in place, the policyholder needs to contact the insurer to make changes.

(The agent has made up this "change on the law" she has told her, there hasn't been one regarding this issue!)
  • Bingonain
    Thanks for all the answers folks. Gonna get her partner to phone now and give permission for 3rd party to deal with it.

Grrrr. at some Insurance Companies!
  • Bingonain
    PMSL! Soon as he asked to speak to a Supervisor, suddenly they could accept the same details! Now insured!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

609Posts Today

6,112Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin