Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 14th Feb 11, 4:38 PM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: Warning over new compulsory car insurance rules
    • 14th Feb 11, 4:38 PM
    MSE News: Warning over new compulsory car insurance rules 14th Feb 11 at 4:38 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"All motorists in Great Britain will have to insure their vehicle unless it is formally declared off-road ..."

Page 4
    • BobbinAlong
    • By BobbinAlong 17th Feb 11, 6:10 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    BobbinAlong
    I'm another who has had taxed vehicles un-insured and un-MOT'd on my private drive. In one case having bought a replacement vehicle and transferred the insurance, the old heap was on the drive and an advert in the paper until sold. Then up to the buyer to insure/trail away.
    Insurance and MOT always run out at different dates to tax so the vehicle can be standing off road awaiting repair un-insured but still taxed. Are they going to offer short term tax? That'll be the day!
    • kevanf1
    • By kevanf1 17th Feb 11, 9:11 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    kevanf1
    How long before the insurance companies insist on them being told if you are towing a trailer or caravan? If you don't they refuse to pay up in the event of an accident..... it'll happen.
    Kevan - a disabled old so and so who, despite being in pain 24/7 still manages to smile as much as possible
  • lesleym75
    Fire & theft cover only carries no road use is very cheap and you can increase cover when required to drive... !
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 18th Feb 11, 7:21 AM
    • 39,292 Posts
    • 23,249 Thanks
    Quentin
    Fire/theft cover won't be enough when continuous insurance comes in - that will be for continuous third party minimum rta insurance.
    • Rover Driver
    • By Rover Driver 18th Feb 11, 11:03 AM
    • 1,410 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    Rover Driver
    It has been in force since 4th February.

The Road Safety Act 2006 (Commencement Order No.6) Order 2011, introduced it.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 18th Feb 11, 11:17 AM
    • 39,292 Posts
    • 23,249 Thanks
    Quentin
    So you keep saying!

Nevertheless it isn't!
    • Rover Driver
    • By Rover Driver 18th Feb 11, 11:26 AM
    • 1,410 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    Rover Driver
    Why not? is the legislation wrong?
  • parapete
    My ignorance about the difference between a motor caravan and a caravan. Corrected.
    Originally posted by MSE Guy
    The next money making manchine will be registering caravans with number plates insuring them, mot certificates all round for every body to get a slice of the cake like they do aboard
    • King_Nothing
    • By King_Nothing 21st Feb 11, 10:49 AM
    • 795 Posts
    • 1,053 Thanks
    King_Nothing
    Right I'm just after some clarification, I have a car and a bike, when my bike insurance ran out last June, I waited till the middle of July to insure again because I didn't have the money, it was taxed in June for a year (15). If I do something like this, this year I risk being fined by the government? Even though the bike is down the side of my house chained to the wall?

Is this supposed to reduce the number of uninsured drivers, the people who currently don't give a damn about the law already; in that they drive around uninsured anyways, and one ammendment to the law isn't suddenly going to get them to change their ways.
    • rogerblack
    • By rogerblack 22nd Feb 11, 1:57 AM
    • 9,273 Posts
    • 9,438 Thanks
    rogerblack
    Right I'm just after some clarification, I have a car and a bike, when my bike insurance ran out last June, I waited till the middle of July to insure again because I didn't have the money, it was taxed in June for a year (15). If I do something like this, this year I risk being fined by the government? Even though the bike is down the side of my house chained to the wall?
    Originally posted by King_Nothing
    Exactly.
    It still requires insurance if taxed, even if it's in a condition that it will not run and is in a secure private space.

Hmm.
    I wonder what the insurance company would react to if your declared modifications were that you'd removed the engine.
    • rogerblack
    • By rogerblack 9th Mar 11, 9:33 AM
    • 9,273 Posts
    • 9,438 Thanks
    rogerblack
    Latest moneysaving email.
    The subheader on the 'new car insurance rules' stating 'unless kept off-road' is very dissapointing, and may tend to make people who keep their cars off-road skip the rest of the article, as they will think it doesn't apply to them!

SORN is what's meant of course, but for those not keeping up, they could easily think they're fine.
  • newmarketheath
    Notice
    I hope someone from the government is clever enough to read this? Surely a reasonable amount of notice must be given before the start of this new law. What would happen if someone was abroad when it comes in? If you are complying with the law before a law is enacted, I thought you could not be guilty for a retrospective act?
    Let's hope the government decide to give at least 3 months notice
  • shropshire_lass
    Shropshire lass
    This will only help to stop a few uninsured drivers. A lot of the worst offenders drive around in cars that are unregistered, unsafe, untaxed, no MOT and definately no insurance. They probably have never taken a driving test never mind passed one. If they cause an accident they leg it.
    If the police catch them, they take the car away and fine them. Then they just go out and buy another car for a few quid!
    They probably have so many convictions that they would never be able to get a company to insure them, never mind pay the hugh premium.
    Police prog on TV stopped a young mum with 3 kids in the back (none wearing seat belts) took the car off her, she was uninsured. Twenty minutes later they saw the same woman and kids in another car! Needless to say this one went as well.
    • FelixK
    • By FelixK 9th Mar 11, 8:36 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    FelixK
    This seems like it will encourage more tax evasion that it solves insurance evasion. It is bad enough that the taxman charges me for any of the days in that month which have already (for not obvious reason), but now they will be taking days off at the end of your road tax as well when your insurance inevitably runs out before the tax. Unless they make it so that tax discs can be refunded per day rather than per month, this law is nothing but daylight robbery with no tangible benefits!
    • sliver
    • By sliver 11th Mar 11, 12:44 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 4,938 Thanks
    sliver
    Seems very confusing to me, and as has been pinted out earlier in the thread, surely you can be insured as an individaul rather than the car.

I have, admittedly only on a few occaisions, driven a car that I knew was not insured by the owner. As far as I know this was fully legitimate and legal, as my fully comp insurance allows me to drive another vehicle third party as long as I have the owners permission and I am not the owner; there was no requirement that the car itself be insured for me third party cover to be valid (that I was aware of...?)

It looks under the new system that any car being driven needs to be explicitly insured by reg number or owner name: Post 30 says

Section 144A creates the new offence which arises when a vehicle does not meet the insurance requirements. Under the insurance requirements the registration mark of a vehicle, or the vehicle's owner, must be specified in an insurance policy or security.

I can see this impacting on second hand sales as well, as has already been said. A few times I have helped out firends and driven cars home for them, again under my fully comp policy, giving them time to arrange cover once the car was safely on the drive.

I admit both of these scenarios are very infrequent, but this does look more and more like a money spinner for private insurance companies rather more than a way to stop uninsured drivers.
  • keithbowman
    Hi-I tried to tax my girlfriends second car(currently SORN'd) so I could use it when weather conditions prevented me from using mine(useless in the snow)

The post office refused to sell me a tax disc as the policy I took down was for my car but enabled me to drive any car not owned by me.

Is this legally correct at the moment ?

Is the only solution to take out a policy, get taxed then cancel the insurance. With the new law do I need to sorn it every time I have used it-the current and new law does not seem to have been thought through for law abiding people or am I missing something ?
  • LessThanSte
    *Bump*

Ive just found out about this rule and, along with quite a few people, this is likely to effect me quite a large amount.

I currently have a renault clio that i use to travel to work and a vauxhall omega that sits on the drive looking pretty. I only use it when im travelling long distance (motorways) and very infrequently at that, roughly once or twice a month.

The tax form has just come through to tax it for the next year. My plan was to tax it for the year but then only book day insurance as and when i needed it. A quick quote gives a price of roughly 10 per day, therefore around 250 a year assuming i use it twice per month. A quote for the full year otherwise seems to be in the region of 650.

Obviously thats quite a saving but now this rule has come into effect im going to be forced to either pay for the full year or declare the car SORN whenever its not being used, which requires me to get a tax disc to cover the car for one day, which would then only give me a refund for 11 (or 5) unused months, along with all the hassle that requires.

Has this been raised with anyone official, MP's and such like? It strikes me that it hasnt been thought out very well. After all, if youve got a car on the drive with no tax disc whats to stop you using it late one night to pop to the shops hoping that noone will see (exactly as you would if you had no insurance). The whole thing becomes nonsense when applied to caravans etc.

I could see quite a few people getting fined in the coming months......
  • inkslinger
    I have, admittedly only on a few occaisions, driven a car that I knew was not insured by the owner.
    Originally posted by sliver
    Unless you have a traders policy, this is wrong. Check your small print. Fully comp insurance allows you to drive any car on a third party basis, provided you are not the owner of the car and the car IS insured with someone at the time. If its not insured you are not allowed to drive it and risk 6 points plus a hefty fine if caught.

This catches a fair few people out.
    3 defaults removed,, 1 judgment set aside
    No debt - 1 mainstream card
    Getting back on the financial radar
    • Andy L
    • By Andy L 22nd Mar 11, 9:53 AM
    • 9,833 Posts
    • 8,883 Thanks
    Andy L
    [QUOTE=inkslinger;42183740]Unless you have a traders policy, this is wrong. Check your small print. Fully comp insurance allows you to drive any car on a third party basis, provided you are not the owner of the car and the car IS insured with someone at the time. If its not insured you are not allowed to drive it and risk 6 points plus a hefty fine if caught./QUOTE]

People keep saying this on this site. It is only true IF your insurance policy says it requires separate insurance. Mine has no requirement for it to be insured elsewhere (and it would be a pointless requirement as the other parties insurance would not pay out anyway).
    The downside of it not having its own dedicated insurance is that ANPR systems will flag it as uninsuread and, when you get out of the car, it is uninsured which is a no-no if it's on the road
  • LessThanSte
    Some progress on this.

I spoke to the lovely people at Adrian Flux (recommended to me by a friend!) who are able to arrange Laid Up cover for the year, at a cost for my car of 75. That is enough to satisfy the ridiculous demands of this new law (though in essence you are still paying 75 for something that until now had been at no cost to anyone!), and allows you to tax it per day if using the car on rare occasions!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,204Posts Today

5,960Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Snap post #BBCOurNextPM poll: Who do you think did best. (I had to have two in one category, so I picked randoml? https://t.co/gYTNBBn3SP

• Emily Maitliss being v mean to Boris using his own past quotes against him on Heathrow, having an election when lea? https://t.co/4baNAlmMid

• Wow - impressive performance from the 15 year old climate change activist. Not sure I'd have had such confidence when still at school.

• Follow Martin