Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 24th Apr 10, 7:57 PM
    • 17,087Posts
    • 132,754Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies
    • 24th Apr 10, 7:57 PM
    Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies 24th Apr 10 at 7:57 PM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Penlope Penguin for starting this legendary thread, which includes everything from growing your own veg to washing & reusing plastic bags.
    Scroll down for tons more tips.

If you havenít already,
    join the forum.

Back to the original post...

The original Sneaky Ways thread is now very long so time for another

My Sneaky Way - always ask yourself if you really need a non-essential item, and even if you do, wait a week to see if you still need it This has saved DH and I loads

What are your ways of sneakily saving pennies that your family doesn't notice? I challenge you all to come up with a brand new Sneaky Way that isn;t on the original thread

Penny. x

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply! Thanks to Penelope Penguin for posting the tip originally.
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Rhiannon; 14-05-2019 at 9:52 AM.
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
Page 5
    • cookie9
    • By cookie9 9th May 10, 4:26 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 3,709 Thanks
    cookie9
    Here's some ideas I've put into practise recently:-

- using old envelopes for shopping lists
    - leaving my oven door open after cooking to help heat the room
    - when making 2 cups of tea using 1 tea bag (I like my tea pretty weak anyway)
    - if I find tiny holes in t-shirts caused by them snagging on zips on other items of clothing I'll darn them and cover over with beads or sequins and arrange in a pattern (started this using a small bead necklace found at a jumble sale for 10p). This also works for updating clothes too.
    - in the colder weather I'll wear my summer vest tops with complimentary coloured long sleeved tops, saves buying lots of clothes and keeps you warm.
    - when I snapped the laces on my deck shoes I used the ribbon out of my tops I keep and tied them together to make pretty laces.
    Originally posted by unixgirluk
    Love your ideas - do a few already but also keen to get a few new ideas.

My latest idea is charging my phone at work. Lots of others do it and I do have to use for work although not cheeky enough to charge my i-pod!
    MFW 91 op 2014 £410/1000
    MFW 91 op 2015 £4051/4000
    MFW 91 op 2016 £4040/4000
    MFW 91 op 2017 £812/4500
    • lauren_1
    • By lauren_1 9th May 10, 6:55 PM
    • 1,984 Posts
    • 5,256 Thanks
    lauren_1
    Meal plan....it saves me a wad each month
    Plan meals that can be turned in to other meals too.

Start off one night but cook twice as much as you need i.e spag boll with pasta twirls.

Remaining spag can be turned in to chilli with some chilli paste or powder for the next night.

Remaining pasta, add a can of condensed chicken soup and some sweetcorn to make a side dish or main part for lunch and store in the fridge.
    • lauren_1
    • By lauren_1 9th May 10, 7:38 PM
    • 1,984 Posts
    • 5,256 Thanks
    lauren_1
    Get rid of sky tv! best thing i did, stops kids glued to the telly all day but to compensate we have a dvd night once a month (the kids get to choose their own dvd's, usually less than a fiver at asda) and have a good old munch on the living room carpet as treat on its own as eating is not allowed in the living room.

got the kids a telly each off of freecycle for their rooms but all they can do is watch dvds and video's on them, video's are 20p a pop at most car boots.
    • Frugalista
    • By Frugalista 9th May 10, 7:46 PM
    • 1,576 Posts
    • 6,105 Thanks
    Frugalista
    when my DD's were throwing out their exfoliating gloves I grabbed them - they're fantastic for cleaning the bath with!
    Originally posted by cyclingyorkie
    They're also brilliant for "scrubbing" new potatoes - just pop the gloves on and rub the potatoes between your hands - Simples!
    "Men are generally more careful of the breed(ing) of their horses and dogs than of their children" - William Penn 1644-1718
  • berniesmaster
    ohh, i wish i was organised enough to do meal plans for the week, instead i spend a fortune on shopping each week on bits and bobs, not really any meals in mind, at teatime i open the cupboars and see what we fancy and end up with mish-mash.
    i think i need to start planning....
    3 wonderfull kids , 1 fab hubby , 2 beautifull cats and 1 very large dog = my family!
    • Queen-Bee
    • By Queen-Bee 9th May 10, 9:33 PM
    • 819 Posts
    • 2,233 Thanks
    Queen-Bee
    Have been looking at carpet sweepers following Mummyfrugal's post - are they better at picking up cat hairs than hoovers? I have a British Shorthair which has an astonishingly thick coat and she is shedding her winter coat at the moment - my carpets are felted!!!
    • mummyfrugal
    • By mummyfrugal 10th May 10, 6:03 AM
    • 311 Posts
    • 5,935 Thanks
    mummyfrugal
    Hi Queen Bee, yep the hairs get picked up quite easy more than the vac (but then my vac is over 10 years old)! I have a ginger and white cat so the hairs really stand out on the carpets and furniture!

Id defo recommend a sweeper. To get the hairs off the furniture use a rubber brush (look in pet stuff at the poundshops for one of those) just use the rubber brush the hairs onto the carpet and sweep up.

Only disadvantage is long human hair does clog up the wheels from time to time so you need to get them out, i usually vacuum out the sweeper when i put the vac on and use a pencil to pull the longer hairs out.
    • cyclingyorkie
    • By cyclingyorkie 10th May 10, 7:41 AM
    • 4,198 Posts
    • 59,581 Thanks
    cyclingyorkie
    They're also brilliant for "scrubbing" new potatoes - just pop the gloves on and rub the potatoes between your hands - Simples!
    Originally posted by Frugalista

ooohh thanks for that tip!
  • Thriftybynature
    finished!
    oh phew, finally at the end!! I have enjoyed this thread so much, picked up lots of tips and felt vindicated in the ones I do already. Maybe now I will actually get some work done!!

My tip is probably more about 'stock rotation' in my freezer. I batch cook & freeze, and also freeze whoopsies as many of you do on here. Everytime I add something to the freezer I add it to my list - if it's a multiple I add the relevant number of circles next to it and colour them in everytime I take a portion out. I also put the date they went into the freezer and try to use up things from the top of the list first. Since I've been doing this I have thrown away a lot less as now I know exactly how long something has been in the freezer and nothing has been forgotten.
  • BitterAndTwisted
    I admire your organisational skills Thrifybynature: it sounds almost like a full-time job!

Just to say that if your freezer is efficient and set at a low enough temp nothing should be inedible once it's taken out, regardless of how long it's been hiding in there.
  • Nicoll
    Have been looking at carpet sweepers following Mummyfrugal's post - are they better at picking up cat hairs than hoovers? I have a British Shorthair which has an astonishingly thick coat and she is shedding her winter coat at the moment - my carpets are felted!!!
    Originally posted by Queen-Bee
    Great for dog hairs. My vacuum is fab at getting the dust and dirt out of the carpet but pretty useless for dog hairs. Carpet sweeper is great for dog hairs but pretty useless for dust and dirt so alternate between the two.
    There is no issue so small that it can't be blown out of proportion
    • Unity
    • By Unity 12th May 10, 11:30 PM
    • 1,493 Posts
    • 3,180 Thanks
    Unity
    Originally posted by Queen-Bee
    I have two cats, both shedding and a Dyson Animal - I honestly cannot fault it and I am a real fusspot when it comes to hair on the carpets :rolleyes:. I use it on my carpets, laminate flooring and quarry tiles in the kitchen and it picks up anything and everything.

Good luck at finding something suitable .
    Some people hear voices, some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever
    • consultant31
    • By consultant31 13th May 10, 5:04 AM
    • 4,738 Posts
    • 14,443 Thanks
    consultant31
    Another excellent vacuum for removing animal hairs is the Henry.
    I let my mind wander and it never came back!
    • sparrer
    • By sparrer 13th May 10, 9:24 AM
    • 6,784 Posts
    • 53,686 Thanks
    sparrer
    I have a Spitz with a coat approx 6" long and 2 white cats . I had a the original Dyson DC01 which died after 12 years loyal use. I was fortunate enough to be given a Miele CatnDog via freecycle which puts anything else I've ever used in the shade...except on a couple cheapish 'felted' rugs which only respond to dragging the edge of my trainers across them. While wearing them, of course
  • mi jardin
    I am sure someone must have posted this in the other thread, but I'll openly admit to not reading all of it!

I have started using Stardrops in the washing machine and dishwasher. I have noticed that in the washing machine I haven't has any white powder marks on clothes whjen I have tried to squeeze a bit too much in it, so thats a bonus too. They dishwasher cleans really well with it too, though I did peek a look while it going once and bubble came out the bottom, so don't use too much!

• blonde36er
    The black Dylon washing machine dye is sold in Home Bargains, Dunelm do a big range of colours too.
    • lauren_1
    • By lauren_1 13th May 10, 12:00 PM
    • 1,984 Posts
    • 5,256 Thanks
    lauren_1
    I am sure someone must have posted this in the other thread, but I'll openly admit to not reading all of it!

I have started using Stardrops in the washing machine and dishwasher. I have noticed that in the washing machine I haven't has any white powder marks on clothes whjen I have tried to squeeze a bit too much in it, so thats a bonus too. They dishwasher cleans really well with it too, though I did peek a look while it going once and bubble came out the bottom, so don't use too much!
    Originally posted by mi jardin
    I use stardrops for everything, washing up and cleaning.

my cleaning mix is 1/3 each of stardrops, water and vinigar....also works for burnt on pans or grill trays, spray liberally every 30 mins then after an hour wash off.
    • Uniscots97
    • By Uniscots97 13th May 10, 12:11 PM
    • 6,422 Posts
    • 23,816 Thanks
    Uniscots97
    I decided to use up old lipsticks I'd gone off the colour of and use a couple I'd won from Rimmel but wasn't keen on the colour. I mixed the lipstick with some vaseline and pressed into an empty container I had then placed in the fridge to chill. Voila, I now have lipgloss I'll wear rather than a lipstick I won't.
    CC2 = £8687.86 (£10000 )CC1 = £0 (£9983 ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
    • Finefoot
    • By Finefoot 13th May 10, 7:57 PM
    • 632 Posts
    • 790 Thanks
    Finefoot
    I use old duvets and covers to make my dogs bed. I chop any leftovers with bits of bread ends and mix it with his food.
    Loving the sunny days!
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 14th May 10, 4:56 PM
    • 1,867 Posts
    • 6,832 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    I use stardrops for everything, washing up and cleaning.

my cleaning mix is 1/3 each of stardrops, water and vinigar....also works for burnt on pans or grill trays, spray liberally every 30 mins then after an hour wash off.
    Originally posted by lauren_1
    I'm another stardrops fan. I've recently been filling a sports type water bottle, 1 section stardrops, 1 section vinegar and the rest water. (I hope you understand what I mean by section can't think of any other way to describe it () Anyway, it means that I can direct the squirt when cleaning under the rim in the toilet etc and just put a good squirt into a bucket of hot water for most uses. So far it's been fine.
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.

Please and Thank You are the magic words
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,900Posts Today

9,253Users online

Martin's Twitter