Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 84
    • Dawniemouse
    • By Dawniemouse 16th Jul 18, 6:33 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dawniemouse
    If anyone is late to the party for recovering PPI like me. I used Resolver.co.uk you fill in what info you know, they will call you to go thru the details and make sure you haven't missed any lenders, send you paperwork to sign then you wait. From beginning to end my claim took about 2-1/2 months. I had a brilliant outcome, had an apology off the bank as well as interest and compensation payments. BEST OF ALL THEY CHARGE YOU 0.00
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 16th Jul 18, 11:07 PM
    • 23,819 Posts
    • 13,176 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I used Resolver.co.uk you fill in what info you know, they will call you to go thru the details and make sure you haven't missed any lenders
    Originally posted by Dawniemouse
    Since Resolver is just an E-Mail template, I can't see anyone from that company has rung you (or anyone else) to "go through details" or request you to sign Letters Of Authority.

Sounds very much like you've mistakenly signed up with a Claim Management Company.

I strongly suspect you'll be receiving a bill shortly, I'm afraid.

This thread is about Bank Charges, not PPI.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 17th Jul 18, 9:32 AM
    • 7,595 Posts
    • 4,801 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Since Resolver is just an E-Mail template, I can't see anyone from that company has rung you (or anyone else) to "go through details" or request you to sign Letters Of Authority.

Sounds very much like you've mistakenly signed up with a Claim Management Company.

I strongly suspect you'll be receiving a bill shortly, I'm afraid.

This thread is about Bank Charges, not PPI.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Agreed, this is could well be a CMC pretending to be resolver. Resolver just submits emails and doesn't even seem to have a phone number (iirc was just a guy's bedroom project).

If you google "resolver ppi" the first link I get is fast track reclaim which rather naughtily has "resolver ppi" in the page title.

Worth a complaint if it is a CMC though just for the hell of it
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 17th Jul 18, 10:47 AM
    • 23,819 Posts
    • 13,176 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    If you google "resolver ppi" the first link I get is fast track reclaim which rather naughtily has "resolver ppi" in the page title.
    Originally posted by Nasqueron
    That may account for user "Dawniemouse" apparently signing up with them in the mistaken belief that this is the Resolver website and their service is free.

If that user does get a bill she/he should complain to the Legal Ombudsman, making certain a screenshot of that page title is saved and provided with the complaint.

Why on earth did the poster in question sign "documentation" from this company without fully reading it first?
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 17th Jul 18, 10:55 AM
    • 7,595 Posts
    • 4,801 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    That may account for user "Dawniemouse" apparently signing up with them in the mistaken belief that this is the Resolver website and their service is free.

If that user does get a bill she/he should complain to the Legal Ombudsman, making certain a screenshot of that page title is saved and provided with the complaint.

Why on earth did the poster in question sign "documentation" from this company without fully reading it first?
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Same reason she had PPI I guess
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 17th Jul 18, 11:13 AM
    • 23,819 Posts
    • 13,176 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Same reason she had PPI I guess
    Originally posted by Nasqueron
    I wonder will she ever return to update this thread ?
    • bmws1985
    • By bmws1985 23rd Aug 18, 4:16 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    bmws1985
    Just stumbled across this thread. Regarding bank charges specifically Overdraft penalty charges you can claim them back successfully under the previous templates. I wrote a SAR and sent off to Halifax. Got details of all charges and wrote and asked for the sum plus 8% interest. Halifax initially refused. I went on MOCL and paid circa 120 from memory and opened up a case against them through a small claims court. Halifax appointed a solicitor and settled prior to court date. Not saying it will work for everyone but did for me.
    • Nunners
    • By Nunners 1st Sep 18, 11:47 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Nunners
    Just spent 20 minutes on the phone to Halifax money management team and Halifax credit card team. Said I was going to change my current account due to their overdraft charges. Without any hassle or threats about Ombudsman, they immediately have credited 150 credit card charges back to my account and 100 overdraft charges back to my current account. Win win. Onwards and upwards to paying off the rest of the debt!!
    • malinkey
    • By malinkey 12th Sep 18, 12:49 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    malinkey
    newbie here
    Hi - so I'm totally new to this, but I do I have charges which have snowballed over the past couple of years.

I've managed to get hold of all my statements - now, what do I highlight? Just wherever it says I've been charged, or wherever it appears I was charged unreasonably? Is there such a thing as a "reasonable" bank charge? Do I highlight interest as well, or leave that?

Apologies for the amount of questions, as I say I am new!
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 12th Sep 18, 1:11 PM
    • 98,597 Posts
    • 66,996 Thanks
    dunstonh
    I've managed to get hold of all my statements - now, what do I highlight?
    Nothing. you dont need to tell the bank what they have charged. They know.

Is there such a thing as a "reasonable" bank charge?
    No. reclaiming of bank charges ended after the 2009 court case that the banks won. You are nearly a decade late on that front.

Do I highlight interest as well, or leave that?
    You dont highlight anything and you never got the interest back even back in the days you could reclaim bank charges.

If you are in current financial hardship, you can ask the bank for a goodwill gesture to help you get out of hardship. A refund of recent charges is one option available to the banks but not the only option. They could suspend future charges for a period or they could put you on a debt management plan. Or they may decide that you are not really in hardship but have just spent beyond your means.

There is no reclaiming of bank charges any more outside of that.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • malinkey
    • By malinkey 13th Sep 18, 6:41 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    malinkey
    Okay, so I was just going off the "reclaim your bank charges" (step 3 - I can't post the link) where it says: "When you receive your transaction list, go through with a highlighter and find all the relevant charges. You should also be able to note what the charge was for and decide why you think it was unfair." - just trying to be thorough!

And yes, I realise I am rather late to the party with this one. A lot of life stuff got in the way in the meantime and I have a *lot* of catching up to do. Still, better late than never.

I am also aware of the 2009 court case, however since I do meet the criteria for consideration it would be prudent to ask, even if there's a risk of not getting anything back.

So, what now - just explain to the banks why I think the charges might be unreasonable, then contact the Ombudsman? Does that still apply?

Here's hoping I can still sort this out. Thanks for the advice!
    • -taff
    • By -taff 13th Sep 18, 6:56 AM
    • 10,174 Posts
    • 13,728 Thanks
    -taff
    You only stand a realistic chance of getting anythng back [in one of three forms - refund/cessation of interest/suspension of charges] if you are in CURRENT FINANCIAL HARDSHIP.
    Historic hardship complaints are unlikely to succeed.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 13th Sep 18, 8:17 AM
    • 98,597 Posts
    • 66,996 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Okay, so I was just going off the "reclaim your bank charges" (step 3 - I can't post the link) where it says: "When you receive your transaction list, go through with a highlighter and find all the relevant charges. You should also be able to note what the charge was for and decide why you think it was unfair." - just trying to be thorough!
    unfair bank charges reclaims ended in 2009. You are reading an old article from that period. if you are making a claim under CURRENT financial hardship, you must not, under any circumstances, say the charges are unfair. Otherwise, you will get the automatic response quoting the supreme court outcome.

I am also aware of the 2009 court case, however since I do meet the criteria for consideration it would be prudent to ask, even if there's a risk of not getting anything back.
    There is a difference between asking the bank for a goodwill gesture under CURRENT financial hardship and making a claim for unfair bank charges. The letter is dead. The former is ok.

So, what now - just explain to the banks why I think the charges might be unreasonable, then contact the Ombudsman? Does that still apply?
    The ombudsman no longer takes on complaints about unfair bank charges. You must not refer to the bank charges as unreasonable unless you want to fail at the first hurdle.

You need to make the bank aware that you are in current financial hardship. Let them know what arrears/defaults etc you currently have and how the current charges are preventing you from basic living. i.e. how you are in hardship and how you are suffering.

The bank will then look at your spending habits to see what you are buying. Mainly to make sure you are in hardship. e.g. large mobile phone bills, M&S Sandwiches, shopping at NEXT, Dining out, Cinemas etc. They will usually ask for a meeting over the phone to discuss your current finances. After all that, the bank decides what it will do. It may refund nothing. It may refund some or all of the last 12 months worth of charges. In most cases where hardship is confirmed, no more than 12 months is the typical outcome. In extreme current hardship cases, they have done more. They may look to put you on a debt management plan going forward and suspend charges. Rather than a refund. The FOS has no ability to force the bank to do anything other than to consider your case fairly.

Are you actually in current financial hardship or is this historic?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 13th Sep 18, 12:16 PM
    • 23,819 Posts
    • 13,176 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I do meet the criteria for consideration
    Originally posted by malinkey
    What criteria are you referring to? You need to be able show the Bank that you are in current financial hardship. Are you behind with essential payments? Are you regularly living in your overdraft just to pay for those essentials?

Realise that the Bank will want to look in depth at your spending to judge whether you are in current financial hardship. Your Sky subscription will have to be cancelled for a start https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=66610688
    I realise I am rather late to the party with this one. A lot of life stuff got in the way in the meantime and I have a *lot* of catching up to do. Still, better late than never.
    If you are trying to get a refund of historical bank charges, you really are wasting your time. If the Bank agrees you are in current financial hardship, the most they will do is refund (some) recent charges. They may not refund at all, choosing instead to suspend interest for a period. They may also insist that you agree to some form of debt management on your account.
    Okay, so I was just going off the "reclaim your bank charges"
    That article needs to be deleted or completely re-written.

Finally, don't even bother to write to any Bank which you are no longer a customer of.
    • casement
    • By casement 26th Sep 18, 10:13 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    casement
    reclaiming ppi when still in debt to the same banks
    A few days ago, I replied to a sponsored advertisement on, I think it was, the MSN newsfeed, which turned out to be from a company called Allay, saying that people were still being paid out large sums of money from mis-sold PPI payments.

I had tried this before with another company, whose name I don't remember, and been rejected because the amount of money I still owed to the banks (from loans and credit cards I had taken out more than 10 years ago) was more than the payout would be.

When I spoke to Allay on the phone, I mentioned this and was told that this didn't matter and it wouldn't stop me from making a claim but I am worried that the banks might make a payment but insist that it be paid back as part of the debt I owe them and that, in that case, Allay might still charge me their 24% charge, although they claim to operate on a No Win/No Fee basis.

On the other hand, if I approach the banks myself directly, I am worried that they may also refuse to make a payment on the grounds that I still owe them money.

I would be grateful for any advice anyone could give me as to what I would be best to do in this situation.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 26th Sep 18, 10:20 AM
    • 22,464 Posts
    • 24,645 Thanks
    zx81
    If you want to make a mis selling complaint, do it yourself. Redress will go to any debts will owed to the lender.

Use a company and you will need to pay them out of your own pocket.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 26th Sep 18, 10:21 AM
    • 7,595 Posts
    • 4,801 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    A few days ago, I replied to a sponsored advertisement on, I think it was, the MSN newsfeed, which turned out to be from a company called Allay, saying that people were still being paid out large sums of money from mis-sold PPI payments.

I had tried this before with another company, whose name I don't remember, and been rejected because the amount of money I still owed to the banks (from loans and credit cards I had taken out more than 10 years ago) was more than the payout would be.

When I spoke to Allay on the phone, I mentioned this and was told that this didn't matter and it wouldn't stop me from making a claim but I am worried that the banks might make a payment but insist that it be paid back as part of the debt I owe them and that, in that case, Allay might still charge me their 24% charge, although they claim to operate on a No Win/No Fee basis.

On the other hand, if I approach the banks myself directly, I am worried that they may also refuse to make a payment on the grounds that I still owe them money.

I would be grateful for any advice anyone could give me as to what I would be best to do in this situation.
    Originally posted by casement
    If you use a claims firm and get a PPI payout which is then offset against unpaid debts you will end up with nothing and the CMC will bill you for their "share" of the refund even though you didn't get any. Any firm that is taking on your business knowing this will happen should be reported to the Legal Ombudsman as it's a disgrace.

That said, you borrowed money and didn't pay it back. The banks are obviously not going to give you a further payout of cash when you still owe them money and no matter what way you try and approach it this will not change - you will not get any PPI refund unless it's any excess after your debts are cleared.
    • Zoey_39
    • By Zoey_39 10th Oct 18, 10:07 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Zoey_39
    Help
    Hi,

I have read this article and I am a bit confused if I can apply or not. I have a 1500 arranged overdraft and due to certain circumstances I have lived in this for the past 4 years.

Over these years I have accumulated 333.39 in interest, 282 in arranged overdraft fees and 24 in unarranged overdraft fees. A total of 639.39
    I have credit cards with debt of 7k which I am paying off.

Am I eligible to attempt to get this money back?

Thanks
    Zoe
    • zx81
    • By zx81 10th Oct 18, 10:10 AM
    • 22,464 Posts
    • 24,645 Thanks
    zx81
    No. But if you are in hardship, you can ask your bank for help.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 10th Oct 18, 10:29 AM
    • 23,819 Posts
    • 13,176 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Am I eligible to attempt to get this money back?
    Originally posted by Zoey_39
    You've read the article, now read this thread. It explains in some considerable detail that Bank charges haven't been reclaimable since the Banks won their 2009 court case. So detailing exactly how much interest and fees you've paid has been a waste of your time.

However, if you can show the Bank you are currently in financial hardship the Bank may decide to refund (some) charges, typically those from the last six months.
    Note, though, that any such refund will be goodwill on the part of the bank and will be subject to scrutiny of your account. If you have an expensive mobile phone contract, payTV subscription and other such luxuries you won't be deemed in hardship.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,811Posts Today

7,744Users online

Martin's Twitter