Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 83
    • Blondie83
    • By Blondie83 2nd Apr 18, 7:40 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Blondie83
    Can we reclaim monthly banking fee?
    My husband has got himself in a bit of a hole. Lots of credit cards, 2 big overdrafts and suffers from depression (currently getting help) so has been taking an ignore the problem approach. Lots of missed payments, struggling to make payments each month, more debt than earns in a year! He has a first direct account with 1000 overdraft that he cant afford to pay back. Theyve closed his account but hes still getting charged interest and 10 monthly fee. Is there any route to reclaiming the monthly fee that hes been paying the last couple of years under financial hardship? They are putting him more and more in debt each month including pushing into unarranged overdraft. I know we can challenge the overdraft fees but not sure about the monthly fee? Seems a bit unfair as we are stuck with then until he can find a way to pay off the overdraft.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 2nd Apr 18, 9:09 AM
    • 23,850 Posts
    • 13,220 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    MIs there any route to reclaiming the monthly fee that he!!!8217;s been paying the last couple of years under financial hardship?
    Originally posted by Blondie83
    No he can't "claim" back any historical charges. If his account is closed, I'm assuming the debt has defaulted and has (or soon will be) sold to a debt collector? If so, he is no longer a customer of First Direct. If not, he might be able to persuade the Bank to suspend interest charges and arrange some kind of affordable payment plan. Obvious first port of call is the Bank...

However, it sounds like you need to get some serious debt advice. Post you Statement Of Affairs (SOA) on the Debt Free Wannabe Board.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 2nd Apr 18, 10:55 AM
    • 98,597 Posts
    • 66,999 Thanks
    dunstonh
    I know we can challenge the overdraft fees but not sure about the monthly fee?
    What makes you think that? After the banks won the court case in 2009, the reclaiming of unfair bank charges ended. You are nearly a decade too late.

Today, the banks only consider current financial hardship cases and only with current customers. Even then, they may not refund anything as they have other options open to them as well.

They are putting him more and more in debt each month including pushing into unarranged overdraft.
    But you said they closed his account. So, how are they doing this?

I agree with moneyineptitude above. The Debt free wannabe section has a lot of very good posters who can let you know the options.

Getting a refund of 3-6 months bank charges as as goodwill gesture doesnt sound like it will solve any problems. Its time to look at this seriously.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Tombo
    • By Tombo 15th Jun 18, 6:03 PM
    • 960 Posts
    • 829 Thanks
    Tombo
    I've just filled in the letter template and have got it ready to post. I've been charged 104 by Natwest, across 3 payments. On one occasion I was charged 72 at once
    2008 Wins: The Shapes - Get Your Learn On (CD), Free transport to and from a Christmas Party
    2009 Wins: Years Supply of Orbit Complete (144 packets), 50 of Odeon vouchers
    2018 Wins: Rockstar Energy Drink Headphones
    Debt-Free Wannabe!!
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 15th Jun 18, 6:59 PM
    • 98,597 Posts
    • 66,999 Thanks
    dunstonh
    I've just filled in the letter template and have got it ready to post. I've been charged 104 by Natwest, across 3 payments. On one occasion I was charged 72 at once
    Originally posted by Tombo
    This thread is about unfair bank charges. Since 2009, template letter complaints about unfair bank charges have failed.

You should not use any template letter. It should be personalised to your scenario, avoid any talk of unfair or unreasonable and you should remember that you are reliant on them giving you a goodwill gesture. So, the tone should reflect that by getting the person at the other end on your side. e.g. pointing out how you have banked with them for decades and never had charges before and it was an accidental blip due to whatever....
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • jmchown
    • By jmchown 21st Jun 18, 12:30 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jmchown
    Lloyds account
    I have followed the steps on resolver and had Lloyds ring me with regards to my claim. went through how i was pressured into keeping it and only way i could have an overdraft.
    They have since come back with that it was over 3 years in may that i changed from a premier account to a free account and that Lloyds will not do anything over this account. how long do I have to wait to go to the ombudsmen now they have replied. do i need to wait for there letter to come through before the next steps etc. Guidance on this matter would be appreciated.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 21st Jun 18, 1:47 PM
    • 7,603 Posts
    • 4,826 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    I have followed the steps on resolver and had Lloyds ring me with regards to my claim. went through how i was pressured into keeping it and only way i could have an overdraft.
    They have since come back with that it was over 3 years in may that i changed from a premier account to a free account and that Lloyds will not do anything over this account. how long do I have to wait to go to the ombudsmen now they have replied. do i need to wait for there letter to come through before the next steps etc. Guidance on this matter would be appreciated.
    Originally posted by jmchown
    You've posted this in the topic about bank charges, not packaged accounts.

You can go to the ombudsman immediately but if the 3 year rule is applied correctly, your case is time barred and your case will be rejected
    • Tombo
    • By Tombo 25th Jun 18, 2:02 PM
    • 960 Posts
    • 829 Thanks
    Tombo
    This thread is about unfair bank charges. Since 2009, template letter complaints about unfair bank charges have failed.

You should not use any template letter. It should be personalised to your scenario, avoid any talk of unfair or unreasonable and you should remember that you are reliant on them giving you a goodwill gesture. So, the tone should reflect that by getting the person at the other end on your side. e.g. pointing out how you have banked with them for decades and never had charges before and it was an accidental blip due to whatever....
    Originally posted by dunstonh

Mine worked, I followed the guide from the MSE main website and used the template which contained sections to personalise. I received a full refund today which I am really happy about
    2008 Wins: The Shapes - Get Your Learn On (CD), Free transport to and from a Christmas Party
    Debt-Free Wannabe!!
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 25th Jun 18, 2:11 PM
    • 98,597 Posts
    • 66,999 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Mine worked, I followed the guide from the MSE main website and used the template which contained sections to personalise. I received a full refund today which I am really happy about
    You should go to the media as unfair bank charges complaint successes are unheard of since 2009. You would be only the third known person to succeed.

or perhaps yours was not unfair bank charges but something else. Your post suggests it was likely a goodwill gesture for first time charge.

Template letters are still bad to use. The FOS also tell people not to use them.
    • Tombo
    • By Tombo 25th Jun 18, 2:37 PM
    • 960 Posts
    • 829 Thanks
    Tombo
    You should go to the media as unfair bank charges complaint successes are unheard of since 2009. You would be only the third known person to succeed.

or perhaps yours was not unfair bank charges but something else. Your post suggests it was likely a goodwill gesture for first time charge.

Template letters are still bad to use. The FOS also tell people not to use them.
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    I just followed the guide here (https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/bank-charges/)

I received several unplanned overdraft fees that put me in even worse financial hardship than what I was in. I have had a difficult year and I am currently on ESA for health issues so the excessive charges were too much for me to handle

It shows up on my account as an unarranged overdraft refund

It is a personal situation for me so I don't really want to sing about it in the media
    Debt-Free Wannabe!!
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 25th Jun 18, 7:23 PM
    • 7,603 Posts
    • 4,826 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    I just followed the guide here (https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/bank-charges/)

I received several unplanned overdraft fees that put me in even worse financial hardship than what I was in. I have had a difficult year and I am currently on ESA for health issues so the excessive charges were too much for me to handle

It shows up on my account as an unarranged overdraft refund

It is a personal situation for me so I don't really want to sing about it in the media

Financial hardship refund for current problems then, not historical charge / "unfair" charge refund.
    • ANiMaLSTu
    • By ANiMaLSTu 16th Jul 18, 10:57 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ANiMaLSTu
    Question regarding reclaim.
    Hello,

Firstly apologies if this has already been answered/asked but I couldn't see it.

I recently received a cheque through the post from Lloyds Bank for unfair bank charges over a 6 month period back in 2012 (This was received without me contacting them).

My question is, should I accept this cheque or is it worth me writing to them and getting a list of ALL my charges etc, as back then I was going through financial hardship and i'm wondering if the cheque they have sent me is to "buy me off" as it were.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Stu
    • zx81
    • By zx81 16th Jul 18, 11:02 AM
    • 22,542 Posts
    • 24,762 Thanks
    zx81
    No. Financial hardship needs to be current.
    • ANiMaLSTu
    • By ANiMaLSTu 16th Jul 18, 11:07 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ANiMaLSTu
    Maybe it wasnt due to financial hardship then and possible just due to bank charges etc at that time. So assuming its not to do with hardship, I still ask if its worth me writing to them etc?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 16th Jul 18, 11:08 AM
    • 22,542 Posts
    • 24,762 Thanks
    zx81
    I doubt it. It sounds as if they have found an error in the charges and simply refunded.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 16th Jul 18, 11:34 AM
    • 23,850 Posts
    • 13,220 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    i'm wondering if the cheque they have sent me is to "buy me off" as it were.
    Originally posted by ANiMaLSTu
    I'd read again the details on the accompanying letter you received with the refund. I'd be very surprised if the letter makes any mention of the charges being "unfair". Far more likely is that the Bank have identified a fault in their internal processes from that period and have refunded you (and probably others) accordingly. The banks won their court case about "unfair" charges almost a decade ago.

So there is no point you making a complaint about other charges unless you are in CURRENT financial hardship. Even then, the Bank will not refund historical charges and will more likely freeze interest on current lending or offer debt management.

I'd just enjoy your windfall.
    • ANiMaLSTu
    • By ANiMaLSTu 16th Jul 18, 1:50 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ANiMaLSTu
    the letter reads:
    ---------------------------------
    We owe you a refund on your closed account

We have recently undertaken a review of our internal collections processes and have found that between 31 May 2012 and 16 October 2012, following an assessment of your circumstances, we did not always take the appropriate course of action when dealing with your account.

We're sorry this happened

How we've calculated the refund

We are refunding the interest, fees and/or charges on your account during the period(s) where we did not always take the appropriate course of actionbased upon our understanding of yourcircumstances at the time.

We are also paying you an additional 8% interest, which we have calculated from the date(s) we didn't do what we should have done, to the date of the refund.

A breakdown of the total payment is shown below, along with some important information about tax.
    -----------------------------

This is why i wonder if i should query it because it doesn't really allude to what its based on.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 16th Jul 18, 1:53 PM
    • 22,542 Posts
    • 24,762 Thanks
    zx81
    It alludes to them not meeting their internal standards and processes.

They've refunded you everything for that period. There's nothing more to be had.
    • ANiMaLSTu
    • By ANiMaLSTu 16th Jul 18, 1:58 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ANiMaLSTu
    Worth a shot lol... guess ill go cash it in then
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 16th Jul 18, 1:59 PM
    • 23,850 Posts
    • 13,220 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    This is why i wonder if i should query it because it doesn't really allude to what its based on.
    Originally posted by ANiMaLSTu
    Seems pretty clear to me.

As before, just enjoy your unexpected windfall, you won't be getting any more especially as it says the account is closed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,306Posts Today

8,739Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin