Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Naomi
    • By MSE Naomi 4th Apr 19, 10:39 AM
    • 303Posts
    • 69Thanks
    MSE Naomi
    0 WOW
    Morrisons to double price of plastic bags to 20p - MSE News
    • 4th Apr 19, 10:39 AM
    0 WOW
    Morrisons to double price of plastic bags to 20p - MSE News 4th Apr 19 at 10:39 AM
    Morrisons will next week double the price of a reusable plastic bag from 10p to 20p - and then start rolling out a new 20p paper bag to stores across the country...
    Read the full story:
    'Morrisons to double price of plastic bags to 20p - and offer paper bags too'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
Page 1
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 4th Apr 19, 11:39 AM
    • 6,934 Posts
    • 3,618 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    • 4th Apr 19, 11:39 AM
    • 4th Apr 19, 11:39 AM
    Our customers have told us that reducing plastic is their number one environmental concern,
    Did they now?

Compared to what other environmental concerns?
    And where, in the total hierarchy of their concerns, does the environment fit in.

Either those questions weren't asked, or the answers weren't amenable to this obvious attempt at virtue signalling by the company.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
    • Benight
    • By Benight 4th Apr 19, 1:57 PM
    • 350 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Benight
    • 4th Apr 19, 1:57 PM
    • 4th Apr 19, 1:57 PM
    We shop at our local Nisa store.
    Still not charging anything for bags to carry away your purchases with
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 4th Apr 19, 2:18 PM
    • 8,686 Posts
    • 7,545 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 4th Apr 19, 2:18 PM
    • 4th Apr 19, 2:18 PM
    Good, make them £1.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • jon acers
    • By jon acers 5th Apr 19, 11:34 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jon acers
    • 5th Apr 19, 11:34 AM
    • 5th Apr 19, 11:34 AM
    @Paul_Herring, you are far too cynical. Go and watch Attenborough's Blue Planet series.
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 5th Apr 19, 12:13 PM
    • 6,934 Posts
    • 3,618 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    • 5th Apr 19, 12:13 PM
    • 5th Apr 19, 12:13 PM
    The one where all those Morrison's plastic bags and Wetherspoon's plastic straws ended up in the gastrointestinal systems of marine creatures, Jon?

Sorry - I missed that episode - how much of the stuff found therein did he say came from the UK?
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 5th Apr 19, 2:19 PM
    • 3,865 Posts
    • 4,169 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 5th Apr 19, 2:19 PM
    • 5th Apr 19, 2:19 PM
    The supermarkets shouldn't even be providing plastic bags, at any cost. Surely everybody should, by now, have got used to having their own shopping bags and remembering to carry them? Large "proper" bags live in the boot of my car, small, foldable fabric ones in my handbag.

Watched a woman put a bunch of bananas in a plastic bag in the supermarket today. Why?
    • tastyhog
    • By tastyhog 5th Apr 19, 4:35 PM
    • 664 Posts
    • 1,249 Thanks
    tastyhog
    • 5th Apr 19, 4:35 PM
    • 5th Apr 19, 4:35 PM
    The supermarkets shouldn't even be providing plastic bags, at any cost. Surely everybody should, by now, have got used to having their own shopping bags and remembering to carry them? Large "proper" bags live in the boot of my car, small, foldable fabric ones in my handbag.

Watched a woman put a bunch of bananas in a plastic bag in the supermarket today. Why?
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    You can't really complain whilst you swan around in your pollution machine...
    • maman
    • By maman 5th Apr 19, 4:38 PM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 122,727 Thanks
    maman
    • 5th Apr 19, 4:38 PM
    • 5th Apr 19, 4:38 PM
    I agree about the plastic bags, probably best to ban them completely.

But am I the only one thinking that Morrison's are making money from selling paper bags. Shouldn't we expect them as customer service? I remember years ago that Asda used to provide large paper bags at the checkout.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 5th Apr 19, 4:51 PM
    • 3,865 Posts
    • 4,169 Thanks
    LadyDee
    Originally posted by tastyhog
    OK, I'll bite. In answer to your inane comment: I don't "swan" around anywhere. I use my car very sparingly for very short journeys when absolutely necessary. Other times, I walk or take a bus. My car is 8 years old and I've only done 16,000 miles - hardly "swanning".
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 5th Apr 19, 6:49 PM
    • 8,686 Posts
    • 7,545 Thanks
    Norman Castle

But am I the only one thinking that Morrison's are making money from selling paper bags. Shouldn't we expect them as customer service?
    Originally posted by maman
    Its likely they will make a profit from the paper bags which I don't mind. Paper bags will have an environmental cost and if offered for free some customers will grab as many as possible. It would also be unfair if "free" bags were offered as the cost would be added to all customers shopping. Why should I subsidise customers who fail to provide their own bags?

• archived user
    My friend works for a supermarket and there are customers that have never bothered to bring their own bags. She serves customers who left the bags in the car, parked in the store's car park, and still buy bags for the entire shop! Just buy one bag for the small items - jars of dried herbs, painkillers, stock cubes etc.

One customer buys a newspaper for 55p and buys a new bag each day.

If bags were £5 each, some customers still won't bother to bring their own
    • maisie cat
    • By maisie cat 5th Apr 19, 7:55 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 956 Thanks
    maisie cat
    Personally I think that people should have got the message by now. Make customers buy a biodegradable bag @£1 every time if they are that stupid.
    We used the waste cardboard boxes decades ago and there is no excuse
    • maisie cat
    • By maisie cat 5th Apr 19, 7:57 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 956 Thanks
    maisie cat
    Originally posted by tastyhog
    I just sold a car that did 69000 miles in 15 years, hardly swanning about, but the swanning about pollution machine does not kill week old calves or marine life in the same terrifying way
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 5th Apr 19, 9:35 PM
    • 5,336 Posts
    • 6,743 Thanks
    A. Badger
    Ten years or so ago Fiends of the Earth (as they should more properly be known) went on record to say that plastic carriers were a minor problem. Now, thanks to media hype from the usual suspects they have become public enemy number one. Well, maybe after diesel cars.

But look what even one of the High Priests of 'Green', Professor Mike Hulme from the School of Environmental Sciences at the University of East Anglia, has had to say on the subject:

'In the recent flurry of moves to ban plastic bags a frequently cited statistic is that more than 100,000 marine mammals and sea turtles die each year from entanglement in, or ingestion of, plastic bags. The original scientific study upon which this estimate relied actually attributed these deaths to fishing tackle in the oceans, not plastic bags. Yet the terms "100,000 marine deaths" and "plastic bags" now circulate happily through our public discourse, solidified as established fact.

'But when is a fact a fact? Can facts change over time? And does it matter if they do? Science is instinctively referred to as the source and authenticator of facts such as the one cited above, and rightly so. Yet as this example shows, we need to be very careful about the veracity of the numbers we latch on to, and about what they signify. What may start out as a credible, yet qualified and provisional, scientific estimate may end up, either through distortion or mere negligence, enduring as an urban myth, apocryphal numbers - the modern equivalent of folklore'.

And don't let's get started on the environmental impact of cotton and other alternatives.

The truth is there are no easy answers to environmental problems but they are the ones people demand because they make them feel virtuous for little personal cost.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 6th Apr 19, 7:21 AM
    • 8,686 Posts
    • 7,545 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    This is why the UK government introduced the charge https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/single-use-plastic-carrier-bags-why-were-introducing-the-charge/carrier-bags-why-theres-a-5p-charge

5. Benefits: why there’s a charge

The scheme aims to reduce the use of single-use plastic carrier bags, and the litter associated with them, by encouraging people to re-use bags.
    In 2014 over 7.6 billion single-use plastic bags were given to customers by major supermarkets in England. That’s something like 140 bags per person, the equivalent of about 61,000 tonnes in total.
    They take longer than other bags to degrade in the environment, can damage wildlife, and are extremely visible when littered in our towns, parks and the countryside.
    Despite research showing that the average household already had 40 plastic bags around the home, the number of plastic bags taken from supermarkets increased for the fifth year running in 2014.
    Similar 5p charges are also in place across Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
    Since we introduced the scheme, the number of bags used has gone down by more than 80 percent in England.
    We estimate that over the next 10 years the benefits of the scheme will include:
    • an expected overall benefit of over £780 million to the UK economy
    • up to £730 million raised for good causes
    • £60 million savings in litter clean-up costs
    • carbon savings of £13 million

Personally I think its wasteful to throw away bags just because replacements are free or cheap.

The continual sulking by people resenting not getting a "free" bag for their shopping is laughable.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 06-04-2019 at 11:09 AM.

• A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 6th Apr 19, 9:47 AM
    • 5,336 Posts
    • 6,743 Thanks
    A. Badger
    If you choose to take the word of politicians then I'm afraid rational discussion becomes impossible. They do what they do to win votes from people who like to have their opinions handed to them nicely packaged and in bite sized chunks.
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 6th Apr 19, 1:03 PM
    • 6,934 Posts
    • 3,618 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    Paper bags will have an environmental cost
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    Yup. And they're worse than plastic bags:

it takes almost four times as much energy to manufacture a paper bag as a plastic bag. Paper-bag manufacture uses 20 times as much water as plastic and paper requires more energy to be recycled.
    but the swanning about pollution machine does not kill week old calves or marine life in the same terrifying way
    Originally posted by maisie cat
    Nor do Morrisons plastic bags.
    • maman
    • By maman 6th Apr 19, 4:49 PM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 122,727 Thanks
    maman
    The continual sulking by people resenting not getting a "free" bag for their shopping is laughable.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle

Laugh away if you want but I feel strongly that when I'm using/choosing a shop I'm paying for the service as well as the product. It seems to me that the price I'm paying is rising but the quality of service is falling.

Many years ago, you went to the shop with your basket or shopping bag and most of the fruit and veg was put straight into your bag and other things like fish and meat were wrapped in paper or a paper bag.

Now we have masses of unnecessary packaging on many items, limited service and no bags. I can't help conclude that Morrison's is taking the easier option in charging customers for paper bags while making a big publicity thing of being environmentally friendly.
    • tastyhog
    • By tastyhog 6th Apr 19, 9:34 PM
    • 664 Posts
    • 1,249 Thanks
    tastyhog
    OK, I'll bite. In answer to your inane comment: I don't "swan" around anywhere. I use my car very sparingly for very short journeys when absolutely necessary. Other times, I walk or take a bus. My car is 8 years old and I've only done 16,000 miles - hardly "swanning".
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    That's 16,000 miles more pollution that someone that walks everywhere.

That's a hell of a lot more pollution than a few carrier bags
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,602Posts Today

8,611Users online

Martin's Twitter