PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Trees on boundary

Options
Hi all.
My daughter is considering buying a house. The garden borders a pavement. There is no wall or fence. This boundary is a mix of hawthorn hedge and 5 or 6 huge sycamore trees. The present owner said the trees and hedge belong to the council and that the trees are protected. He said he's only seen the council cutting the hedge on the road side once or twice in 15 years. The trees are about 15 feet from the house. My daughter contacted the local borough council who said they don't own the land. She contacted the county council who said the land had belonged to the builder who has since ceased trading and suggested she contact the land registry to ascertain boundary lines. But it seems that the boundary is indistinct and the trees are on the boundary line.
My question is how does she find out who owns the trees. I know that branches overhanging your property can be removed and offered back to the land owner but these things are huge,mature sycamores!
She would like clarification as to who is responsible for the trees. The hedge is no problem to maintain, except it grows across the pavement, but it is manageable.
Would a tree surgeon be able to get access as to the tree ownership? You can bet your bottom dollar that all would be revealed were she to have the trees removed without permission!

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 October 2018 at 6:09PM
    Options
    If the boundary is indistinct then

* claim the land via adverse possession? Will the sellers sign a Declaration that they have used the land as their own for the period they lived there?

* just assume the land belongs to the property - sounds like the council don't care/want it and the builder has gone, so do wat you want with the plants

* check if the trees are protected though - that IS a council matter and they will tell you yes or no.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It'a almost certain the buyer of the house will own the trees if the council are denying responsibility. The last thing cash-strapped councils want is the maintenance of huge sycamore trees.

As above, check there's no TPO and then factor-in the cost of removal, which will run into thousands, or else decide to live with one of the worst street/wildlife trees that will get aphids every year and disfigure everything placed under them.

The clean-up after leaf-fall and the continual removal of seedlings should be considered too, along with a potential threat to foundations and drains.

Not exactly selling them to you am I?:o
  • LMS123
    LMS123 Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks. Her friend's husband is a solicitor so he's going to try a few enquiries. Meanwhile I've suggested she gets a quote from a tree surgeon as to possible cost of removal but I suspect he would want proof of ownership, so to speak. I keep steering her away from this property - life has enough hassles!
  • 25_Years_On
    25_Years_On Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You said they were protected so I assume Tree Protection Orders. This requires permission even to prune them.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    You said they were protected so I assume Tree Protection Orders. This requires permission even to prune them.
    The OP has been told the trees are protected, but that's not proof, which is why we've been suggesting more checks before doing anything else. The tree officer at the council is the person to consult.

Our vendor told us the elm hedge we now own and preserve was specially protected because of its relative rarity, but that turned out not to be true.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    The OP has been told the trees are protected, but that's not proof, which is why we've been suggesting more checks before doing anything else. The tree officer at the council is the person to consult.

Our vendor told us the elm hedge we now own and preserve was specially protected because of its relative rarity, but that turned out not to be true.
    Absolutely this. Confirmation preferably in writing (exchange of emails) that the trees are not protected and not owned by the council.

Some councils have a geographic information system (GIS) which is available to the public via the council website. Often this will include information about trees (usually in planning related layers) which are protected or of special interest. I wouldn't take the absence of a tree on GIS as proof it isn't protected, but if it is shown that way then it is very likely to be so.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • da_rule
    da_rule Posts: 3,618 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another matter to consider is that if they are partly on the pavement they may also be on highway land. Therefore, regardless of who owns the land, your local highways authority will have a certain level of responsibility for maintenance.
  • LMS123
    LMS123 Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ok. It transpires the hedge and trees are on a strip of land owned by a green space land holding company. No annual fee is paid to them and they don't seem to look after the land but they own it.
    What sort of house buying survey would report on the trees if they were thought to be a problem now or in the future? Would the mortgage valuation report look at the trees or will my daughter have to pay for a more thorough survey? How much do surveys look at surrounding land if e.g. Trees affect the valuation or could possibly cause future problems?
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    LMS123 wrote: »
    The trees are about 15 feet from the house.

If they are huge and 15ft from the house, it's likely that they are overhanging the nearby pavement and house!
    When I reported a few sycamores overhanging the pavement, they just chopped them down.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    LMS123 wrote: »
    Ok. It transpires the hedge and trees are on a strip of land owned by a green space land holding company. No annual fee is paid to them and they don't seem to look after the land but they own it.
    So, this is the 'protection,' I suppose. The future owner of this house will have no rights over the trees, beyond being able to prune them back to the boundary. Good luck with that!

Surveyors aren't tree surgeons and aborists aren't surveyors, but both will have a general understanding that large tree 15' from a house could spell trouble, though unless or until it occurs, either with the drains or the foundations, there's nothing to report.

In any event, the annoyances mentioned in my earlier post will be evident.

Usually, houses that are cheap for their type and location have a down-side. This isn't one I'd be willing to live with myself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure