On-grid domestic battery storage

Comments

• orrery
    orrery Posts: 798 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Therefore, if you are thinking of B2G or V2G, remember that you are only likely to get a maximum of half the rates shown in the downloaded rates.

I've just applied to Ovo for their V2G trial, but baulked when I came to subscribe - they are almost £200 more expensive than per year than Bulb, who I'm with at present.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Great news (sarcasm font needed). Tesla have upgraded their PWII, and also the price.

I'm getting a bit bearish now on storage prices which don't seem to reflect expanding production and falling costs, but instead reflect the fact that storage demand around the world is rising even faster, especially amongst EV's.

Hot: Tesla Powerwall To Get New Features, Higher Prices

Found this out by accident, but S. Korea's expansion into grid storage has been so enormous that it's skewed all the world figures!

We need more storage production, so Mart can have a battery.

Global battery storage pipeline hits record 10.4 GW in first quarter of 2018
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • orrery
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    I'm getting a bit bearish now on storage prices which don't seem to reflect expanding production and falling costs, but instead reflect the fact that storage demand around the world is rising even faster, especially amongst EV's.

Indeed, the short term direction appears to be increased prices. That's the second battery supplier that I've seen increase their prices recently, but that may have more to do with the Brexit effect.

The government, in cutting EV grants from next month, have stated that the reason is because EV prices have been falling - another theoretical effect which doesn't appear to have been borne out in reality, where EV prices have just been firming up. This in itself, is probably due to the lack of battery production capacity.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,714 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    orrery wrote: »
    I've just applied to Ovo for their V2G trial, but baulked when I came to subscribe
    And, one can't be on Economy 7 either. Why would I want to pay more for my electricity in order to help them out with their trial?
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • NigeWick
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    We need more storage production, so Mart can have a battery.
    I'm feeling just a little smug that I've already got my PW2. But, disappointed that production has not ramped up enough to bring prices down.

Since early April, 3143 kWh produced by solar, 769kWh to/from PW2, 223kWh from grid. Home & car have used 1983 kWh, a lot of which will be for the 9kW shower as PW2 only whacks out 5kW.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • orrery
    NigeWick wrote: »
    And, one can't be on Economy 7 either. Why would I want to pay more for my electricity in order to help them out with their trial?

Several reasons I can think of ... get a free 7kW V2G charger, make money from selling power back to the grid and getting a free subscription to the Polar charger network (worth £7 odd per month)..
  • NigeWick
    Several reasons I can think of ... get a free 7kW V2G charger, make money from selling power back to the grid and getting a free subscription to the Polar charger network (worth £7 odd per month)..
    The V2G charger would be tempting if it were as smart as the Zappi already in the garage using solar to charge the car. I already have a"free" subscription to the Polar network. How will I make money if my night time electricity price goes up by 7.1p per kWh?
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • orrery
    NigeWick wrote: »
    The V2G charger would be tempting if it were as smart as the Zappi already in the garage using solar to charge the car. I already have a"free" subscription to the Polar network. How will I make money if my night time electricity price goes up by 7.1p per kWh?

Well, I'm not you, and I don't have a Zappi, and I couldn't justify the expense of one, as I'd never recover the cost of one from the savings by charging from my solar PV. Note, just as you were doing, I'm talking from my perspective not yours. We all have different starting positions and your starting position isn't any use to me.

I'd delighted to hear you have a 'free' subscription to Polar - please tell us all how we can get one!

Night time electricity cost? The answer is I don't know until I see the terms of the trial - maybe it will make sense if they intend to pay me 50p per unit I export to the grid? In any case, I won't go ahead with it unless it does make sense to me.
  • gefnew
    gefnew Posts: 876 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
  • NigeWick
    I'd delighted to hear you have a 'free' subscription to Polar - please tell us all how we can get one
    Ovo's EV-everywhere tariff which has Economy 7 gets two years Polar subscription included in the cost.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure