Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 5th Oct 18, 8:39 PM
    • 7,472Posts
    • 32,126Thanks
    charlies_mum
    Royal Mail 2nd class
    • 5th Oct 18, 8:39 PM
    Royal Mail 2nd class 5th Oct 18 at 8:39 PM
    Most of my post goes by Royal Mail 2nd class as Letters or Large Letters but recently I am getting Item Not Received claims or late delivery defects as they are not arriving within the EBay forecast

Some items seem to be taking 8 days to arrive. Is anyone else noticing this ?
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 5th Oct 18, 9:22 PM
    • 62,193 Posts
    • 44,660 Thanks
    soolin
    • 5th Oct 18, 9:22 PM
    • 5th Oct 18, 9:22 PM
    Most of my post goes by Royal Mail 2nd class as Letters or Large Letters but recently I am getting Item Not Received claims or late delivery defects as they are not arriving within the EBay forecast

Originally posted by charlies_mum
    I hit a bad patch a couple of months back, I had a one day dispatch on and often sent same day and I was still getting 'where is my item' emails. When the metrics changed for the TRS discount I decided enough was enough, instead of jumping through the hoops for a discount I have gone to a 2 day dispatch, still send same or next day and have given myself some breathing room. I've also cut back on the number of items I'm prepared to send to the USA as I was getting INRs from there after just a few days.

I'm also conscious of the fact that it appears INR and SNAD claims *may* be used against us again next year (this is being discussed at length on other forums) and decided I didn't need that hassle as well.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • martindow
    • By martindow 6th Oct 18, 12:14 PM
    • 8,184 Posts
    • 4,757 Thanks
    martindow
    • 6th Oct 18, 12:14 PM
    • 6th Oct 18, 12:14 PM
    What proportion of the items you are sending are being delivered late? Maybe it would be worth quoting two day dispatch as soolin suggests while still posting as soon as you can to give yourself an extra day.
    • Joan number 1
    • By Joan number 1 6th Oct 18, 1:58 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    Joan number 1
    • 6th Oct 18, 1:58 PM
    • 6th Oct 18, 1:58 PM
    Since our local sorting office closed it commonly takes 8 days or more for anything other than letters posted 2nd Class to arrive, though strangely First (as in Amazon next day etc.) are usually no problem.
    For some reason 2nd Class packets & parcels often get sent to the wrong sorting office and this is what delays delivery.
    • RFW
    • By RFW 6th Oct 18, 4:40 PM
    • 8,940 Posts
    • 5,163 Thanks
    RFW
    • 6th Oct 18, 4:40 PM
    • 6th Oct 18, 4:40 PM

How do you send them?
    Are they collected, do you drop them off at a sorting office or post box?

Last time I had a problem I switched where I was dropping them off for a while.
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 6th Oct 18, 4:55 PM
    • 3,694 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 6th Oct 18, 4:55 PM
    • 6th Oct 18, 4:55 PM
    You were getting a faster service somewhere else?

With franked mail I started getting letters saying I was posting mail on the wrong day. The PO assured me it was being collected the same day so the mind boggles as to where the post man collecting this was sitting on it somewhere!!!
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 6th Oct 18, 5:08 PM
    • 7,472 Posts
    • 32,126 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    • 6th Oct 18, 5:08 PM
    • 6th Oct 18, 5:08 PM
    How do you send them?
    Are they collected, do you drop them off at a sorting office or post box?

Originally posted by RFW
    I drop them at my local sorting office. It doesn't make sense, most of my feedback says fast delivery but recently I have been getting "where is my item" messages so something is going on. Got eBay to close an INR case today as buyer confirmed she had received today an item that was posted on Monday.
    • emmbrook
    • By emmbrook 7th Oct 18, 7:46 AM
    • 150 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    emmbrook
    • 7th Oct 18, 7:46 AM
    • 7th Oct 18, 7:46 AM
    I’ve not had any issues with most of my second class arriving next day whether I post at home or in London. Sometimes two days but not often. Presumably a local issue with your sorting office rather than a wider problem, not that that helps you!
    • Brywalker
    • By Brywalker 8th Oct 18, 10:02 AM
    • 184 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    Brywalker
    • 8th Oct 18, 10:02 AM
    • 8th Oct 18, 10:02 AM
    Iíve not had any issues with most of my second class arriving next day whether I post at home or in London. Sometimes two days but not often. Presumably a local issue with your sorting office rather than a wider problem, not that that helps you!
    Originally posted by emmbrook

Same here. No problems at all Royal Mail deliveries.
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 8th Oct 18, 3:33 PM
    • 4,257 Posts
    • 12,433 Thanks
    Hermia
    Iíve not had any issues with most of my second class arriving next day whether I post at home or in London. Sometimes two days but not often. Presumably a local issue with your sorting office rather than a wider problem, not that that helps you!
    Originally posted by emmbrook
    Same here. For the last few months I have found second class to be really speedy. I posted lots of parcels last Monday afternoon and they all arrived Tuesday morning!

I have two-day dispatch on my account even though I usually post straight away. I like to have a bit of breathing room.
    • RFW
    • By RFW 8th Oct 18, 3:52 PM
    • 8,940 Posts
    • 5,163 Thanks
    RFW
    I drop them at my local sorting office. It doesn't make sense, most of my feedback says fast delivery but recently I have been getting "where is my item" messages so something is going on. Got eBay to close an INR case today as buyer confirmed she had received today an item that was posted on Monday.
    Have you got another one near by?
    I don't send much volume by RM any more but when I did my most local sorting office had taken against my post, it went from next day delivery to 5-7 day delivery for second class. Before anyone suggests it was paranoia on my part I had it on relatively good authority that my post was being left on one side.

I then started taking it to another sorting office which was an extra 20 minutes away. That then went ok.
    • RFW
    • By RFW 8th Oct 18, 3:57 PM
    • 8,940 Posts
    • 5,163 Thanks
    RFW
    You were getting a faster service somewhere else?

With franked mail I started getting letters saying I was posting mail on the wrong day. The PO assured me it was being collected the same day so the mind boggles as to where the post man collecting this was sitting on it somewhere!!!
    Originally posted by ballisticbrian
    I've answered above. I've got three sorting offices within 30 minutes drive. I've only had a problem with one. That sorting office is connected to a Post Office so I have to go in the Post Office to drop off rather than hand it straight to Royal Mail. My problem was actually with the Post Office staff who took exception to handling it. They have a fair point in that they're essentially working for nothing but I never set the system up!
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 8th Oct 18, 4:59 PM
    • 7,472 Posts
    • 32,126 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    Have you got another one near by?
    I don't send much volume by RM any more but when I did my most local sorting office had taken against my post, it went from next day delivery to 5-7 day delivery for second class. Before anyone suggests it was paranoia on my part I had it on relatively good authority that my post was being left on one side.

I then started taking it to another sorting office which was an extra 20 minutes away. That then went ok.
    Originally posted by RFW
    The guys in my sorting ffice are lovely, we get on well and I take them a box of biscuits at Christmas

My Mail then goes to the main depot in Wolverhampton so the problem is either there or with the local delivery offices

I will keep a note if when it happens and see if there is any one particular area with a orobkem
    • RFW
    • By RFW 8th Oct 18, 5:02 PM
    • 8,940 Posts
    • 5,163 Thanks
    RFW
    The guys in my sorting ffice are lovely, we get on well and I take them a box of biscuits at Christmas
    Have you asked them if there's a problem any where?
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 8th Oct 18, 5:07 PM
    • 7,472 Posts
    • 32,126 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    Have you asked them if there's a problem any where?
    Originally posted by RFW
    Yes, they aren't aware of any problems.
    • RFW
    • By RFW 8th Oct 18, 5:16 PM
    • 8,940 Posts
    • 5,163 Thanks
    RFW
    Yes, they aren't aware of any problems.
    It's odd then. It does sound like a problem in the chain you're using, so either your local sorting office or the regional one. Maybe see if any other sellers near you have had similar changes in feedback comments.
    My only other idea would be to switch to first class for a few days. That should see more "fast delivery" feedback comments.
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 8th Oct 18, 8:12 PM
    • 3,694 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    No ones mentioned it so it's worth asking are the items a new product line or similar to one another in some way that might affect buyers. There seems to still be a small minority of buyers who think it's easier to blame Royal Mail and say it hasn't turned up than say it's broken or SNAD. I don't know why can't buyers simply be honest and say they put the scissors through the item when trying to open, however Royal Mail gets blamed and we for one, put a claim through every time.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 11th Oct 18, 2:24 PM
    • 1,305 Posts
    • 794 Thanks
    Archergirl
    The people in my post office get fed up with people doing online postage and then taking it into the post office for proof of posting forms, I always get stamps so I don't feel guilty getting proof of posting but it must be frustrating for them doing the work for no gain to the post office. The speed of delivery does vary sometimes and with the C word coming it gets worse........
    • custardy
    • By custardy 11th Oct 18, 4:16 PM
    • 34,546 Posts
    • 29,281 Thanks
    custardy
    The people in my post office get fed up with people doing online postage and then taking it into the post office for proof of posting forms, I always get stamps so I don't feel guilty getting proof of posting but it must be frustrating for them doing the work for no gain to the post office. The speed of delivery does vary sometimes and with the C word coming it gets worse........
    Originally posted by Archergirl
    Isnt there? Im not up on the contract between RM and POC. Are you?
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 11th Oct 18, 5:09 PM
    • 1,305 Posts
    • 794 Thanks
    Archergirl
    No I am not, but only saying what the people in my post office told me.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,761Posts Today

7,816Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin