Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Luke
    • By MSE Luke 16th Feb 16, 6:20 PM
    • 277Posts
    • 78Thanks
    MSE Luke
    MSE News: More collective energy switches launch how do they stack up?
    • 16th Feb 16, 6:20 PM
    MSE News: More collective energy switches launch how do they stack up? 16th Feb 16 at 6:20 PM
    More collective switches have been launched. But how do they stack up and compare with MSE's own Big Switch Event 4?...
    Read the full story:
    'More collective energy switches launch how do they stack up?'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havent already, join the forum to reply. If you arent sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 16-02-2016 at 6:34 PM.
Page 1
    • Biscuit Tin
    • By Biscuit Tin 16th Feb 16, 6:32 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Biscuit Tin
    • 16th Feb 16, 6:32 PM
    • 16th Feb 16, 6:32 PM
    We asked Ichoosr for details on the supplier and the cost of the tariff but it refused to tell us.
    Well I can't give you details of prices ... which will vary regionally anyway I guess, but here are the winners:

Winner(s) of the Auction

There are three winners in this auction:
    SSE, E.ON Energy and Ovo Energy.

SSE:
    Dual fuel, fixed price, monthly direct debit, online billing
    Dual fuel, fixed price, monthly direct debit, paper billing

E.ON Energy:
    Electricity only, fixed price, monthly direct debit, paper billing
    Electricity-only, fixed price, monthly direct debit, online billing

Ovo Energy:
    Dual fuel, prepayment
    Electricity-only, prepayment
    https://bigcommunityswitch.ichoosr.com/home/faq.rails?actionId=443&qamenuitemId=183&qaId=794
    • Biscuit Tin
    • By Biscuit Tin 16th Feb 16, 6:37 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Biscuit Tin
    • 16th Feb 16, 6:37 PM
    • 16th Feb 16, 6:37 PM
    Comparison site Energy Helpline is running another collective switch which is open to its 130,000 members - unfortunately this deal's not available if you're not already a member.
    Try this:

http://www.greatbritishcollective.co.uk

• FOREVER21
    • By FOREVER21 16th Feb 16, 9:21 PM
    • 1,715 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    FOREVER21
    • 16th Feb 16, 9:21 PM
    • 16th Feb 16, 9:21 PM
    I am currently with Eon v19 fixed for 1year.

The MSE switch showed a saving of 29 + 30 cash back but exit fees would be 60 ,so 1 worse, and with BG not my favourite supplier.

So along comes the collective switch from Energyhelpline, this time for me the best deal was with Eon and saved me 42 and gives me 2 months extra fix, also no exit fees .

Although I have registered with ichooser from the post above it would seem that I would need to go to SSE. I will wait until they send me an e-mail with their tariffs but it would mean exit charge again, so I doubt if it will be better than the EHL deal.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 16th Feb 16, 9:48 PM
    • 27,864 Posts
    • 13,729 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 16th Feb 16, 9:48 PM
    • 16th Feb 16, 9:48 PM
    So much for Ofgem's declared intention of making tariffs simpler for Mr and Mrs Average to understand.

We now have companies offering their(max) of four tariffs, with standing charges varying from zero to 100? pa per fuel.
    Different discounts for dual fuel and payment method. Varying length of a fixed term and varying penalties for leaving early.

Now we have a host of 'collective' tariffs(there will be more!) to superimpose on top of the above. To be eligible for these you must register with the appropriate organisation and give details of all personal information down to what you ate for Sunday lunch! These tariffs might or might not offer cashback.

It is still possible for some people to get the cheapest deal by taking different fuels from different suppliers. However some tariffs e.g. BG's new collective has the cheapest electricity prices, but not cheap gas, - but it is duel fuel only.
    • gt94sss2
    • By gt94sss2 17th Feb 16, 12:36 AM
    • 4,248 Posts
    • 2,015 Thanks
    gt94sss2
    • 17th Feb 16, 12:36 AM
    • 17th Feb 16, 12:36 AM

Comparison site Energy Helpline is running another collective switch which is open to its 130,000 members - unfortunately this deal's not available if you're not already a member.
    Try this:

http://www.greatbritishcollective.co.uk
    Originally posted by Biscuit Tin
    Can anyone remember if the Great British Collective were also offering 15/fuel cashback? I thought it did.

Certainly,at least one of the other brands taking part in the same Energy Helpline switch is offering such cash back - which the MSE article falls to mention.
    Last edited by gt94sss2; 17-02-2016 at 1:07 AM.
    • vettieboo
    • By vettieboo 17th Feb 16, 7:04 AM
    • 138 Posts
    • 430 Thanks
    vettieboo
    • 17th Feb 16, 7:04 AM
    • 17th Feb 16, 7:04 AM
    Can anyone remember if the Great British Collective were also offering 15/fuel cashback? I thought it did.

Certainly,at least one of the other brands taking part in the same Energy Helpline switch is offering such cash back - which the MSE article falls to mention.
    Originally posted by gt94sss2
    I've chosen to go with the Tariff Team (EHL deal) after seeing it on Free Postcode Lottery, they do offer 15 cashback per fuel if you do it online. Had to be signed up before the closing date of their announcement of the tariffs though. So factoring in their cashback I saved more going with them than MSE.
    • DynasticDux
    • By DynasticDux 17th Feb 16, 8:39 AM
    • 3,260 Posts
    • 130,169 Thanks
    DynasticDux
    • 17th Feb 16, 8:39 AM
    • 17th Feb 16, 8:39 AM
    Your forgetting one - the collective from the freepostcodelottery site - that is also offering 30 cashback for dual fuel ........... and much cheaper than the MSE collective (155 cheaper for my tariff)

http://switch.tariffteam.com/tariffteam_collective
    • KTF
    • By KTF 17th Feb 16, 8:48 AM
    • 4,727 Posts
    • 1,940 Thanks
    KTF
    • 17th Feb 16, 8:48 AM
    • 17th Feb 16, 8:48 AM
    Your forgetting one - the collective from the freepostcodelottery site - that is also offering 30 cashback for dual fuel ........... and much cheaper than the MSE collective (155 cheaper for my tariff)

http://switch.tariffteam.com/tariffteam_collective
    Originally posted by DynasticDux
    Its almost like they were selective with their comparison to make their deal look better
  • E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    Switching from E.ON
    I am currently with Eon v19 fixed for 1year.

The MSE switch showed a saving of 29 + 30 cash back but exit fees would be 60 ,so 1 worse, and with BG not my favourite supplier.

So along comes the collective switch from Energyhelpline, this time for me the best deal was with Eon and saved me 42 and gives me 2 months extra fix, also no exit fees .

Although I have registered with ichooser from the post above it would seem that I would need to go to SSE. I will wait until they send me an e-mail with their tariffs but it would mean exit charge again, so I doubt if it will be better than the EHL deal.
    Originally posted by FOREVER21
    Morning FOREVER21

You're right, moving to another supplier from our Fixed 1 Year version 19 tariff will leave you open to an exit fee of 30 per fuel. This only stops if the Price Protection window is open. As this is 49 days before the tariff ends and version 19 is a recent tariff, it won't apply for quite a time yet. There are, though, no exit fees for moving from one E.ON Tariff to another. This includes the collective tariffs we're involved with although, as I mentioned in another thread yesterday, customers wanting one of these need to apply through the relevant switching site.

Hope this is of interest.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • gt94sss2
    • By gt94sss2 17th Feb 16, 3:17 PM
    • 4,248 Posts
    • 2,015 Thanks
    gt94sss2
    Originally posted by DynasticDux
    I think the Energy Helpline collective was offered under several diferent brand names/websites including the Great British Collective and Tariff Team - and I think they all also offered 15/fuel cashback
    • barryb1
    • By barryb1 17th Feb 16, 3:33 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    barryb1
    You have to be so careful with these price comparisons as they are often comparing apples with pears. If you are currently on any price deal, the comparison site takes the date your deal ends and then assumes you will (like an idiot) move to the provider's standard tariff.
    With energy prices falling, it is reasonable to assume you will switch to at least a similar deal, so the comparison should be on an "as if" basis.
    They also fail to take into account the sneaky practice of many providers who insist you change your direct debit immediately your meter reading is slightly above the norm (typically in winter) - alawys a hassle - step forward British Gas and Scottish Power.
    It can be time-consuming to work out an "exact" comparision (gas Kw energy formula anyone?) but this is the only way - and using prior 12 months Kwh consumption.
    I have foregone the MSE Collective deal just because it was too "iffy".
    • mallyboy5
    • By mallyboy5 3rd Apr 16, 12:20 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    mallyboy5
    mallyboy5
    i am currently on a collective switch thru CTM which expires in three months and have been offered a MSM switch which is actuallycheaper thanCTM and as they are both with EON have been told no exit chargeshowever now i have got a smartmeter can see how the energy companies really skank us EON tell me my annual usage is 4400 units per year but i have worked out it is only 3500 so if they are getting 800 units overpayment per year @10pfrom 2million customers its a nice little earner and nobody is any the wiserI would love to get a reply fron an EON representative on this one
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 3rd Apr 16, 12:27 PM
    • 27,864 Posts
    • 13,729 Thanks
    Cardew
    i am currently on a collective switch thru CTM which expires in three months and have been offered a MSM switch which is actuallycheaper thanCTM and as they are both with EON have been told no exit chargeshowever now i have got a smartmeter can see how the energy companies really skank us EON tell me my annual usage is 4400 units per year but i have worked out it is only 3500 so if they are getting 800 units overpayment per year @10pfrom 2million customers its a nice little earner and nobody is any the wiserI would love to get a reply fron an EON representative on this one
    Originally posted by mallyboy5

Are you not two days late with this post?
  • archived user
    ........ my annual usage is 4400 units per year but i have worked out it is only 3500 so if they are getting 800 units overpayment per year @10pfrom 2million customers its a nice little earner and nobody is any the wiserI would love to get a reply fron an EON representative on this one
    Your annual projected consumption is based on actual meter readings taken over a number of years AVERAGED out to take into account climate variations. It has been a particularly warm winter but there is no guarantee that the 2016/7 winter will be as warm. There is no 'nice little earner' here as consumers only pay for the energy consumed at the agreed tariff rate.

That said, it is fair to say that high projected usage figures do result in higher than necessary monthly DD payments with the concomitant effect that suppliers get to hold on to more of their customers' money than they should. In my view, Ofgem should be taking more interest in this than they are. I have raised this and The Energy Ombudsman's response to me was 'suppliers have an over-arching licence obligation to ensure that customers do not get into debt'.
    • mallyboy5
    • By mallyboy5 4th Apr 16, 10:59 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    mallyboy5
    mallyboy5
    not sure why i am 2 days out of date as MSM collective switch closes on april 6 according to email
    • mallyboy5
    • By mallyboy5 4th Apr 16, 11:03 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    mallyboy5
    mallyboy5
    l agree with what you say but if boot was on the other foot the power companies would soon be chasing you for money owed why dont they give a discount on bill for money in credit
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 4th Apr 16, 11:12 AM
    • 27,864 Posts
    • 13,729 Thanks
    Cardew
    I have raised this and The Energy Ombudsman's response to me was 'suppliers have an over-arching licence obligation to ensure that customers do not get into debt'.
    Originally posted by Hengus

This is one of the few times I have sympathy with the Energy companies, and agree with the Ombudsman.

Not long ago this forum was inundated with complaints that companies had set the DD too low and were at fault for letting customers having a debit balance. It was often suggested that this was a deliberate ploy to ensure customers could not switch suppliers because of this debit balance.

'Damned if you do, and damned if you don't!' A classic lose/lose situation.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 5th Apr 16, 7:34 AM
    • 5,595 Posts
    • 2,488 Thanks
    brewerdave
    l agree with what you say but if boot was on the other foot the power companies would soon be chasing you for money owed why dont they give a discount on bill for money in credit

OVO effectively are ,as far as I'm aware they pay 3% pa on credit balances.

Also several of the Utility suppliers allow you to change the DD amount -I'm with EON and they have just suggested a reduction of 13 pm which stacks up with my calculations too.and will prevent me running a credit balance for long this Summer,having been in debit all Winter
    Last edited by brewerdave; 05-04-2016 at 7:36 AM.
  • E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    E.ON MSM Fixed 1 Year Collective March 2016
    Morning mallyboy5.

I think the tariff you mean is the E.ON MSM Fixed 1 Year Collective March 2016. This is the only collective tariff currently on sale that we're involved with. It will, though, only be on sale until 7 April 2016. Also, as a collective, it's only available through the broker site offering it. In this case, MSM. We're not allowed to promote or market collectives and will only become involved once the switch has gone through. As you say, as an existing customer, there's no exit fee involved for changing tariff if you decided to go for this collective.

We always prefer to base our charges on actual meter readings. This gives an accurate picture of how much energy is being used. As Hengus says, provided bills are based on actual readings, customers will only pay for the energy they use. We'll send estimates if we don't have actual readings but are happy to re-bill as soon as we receive accurate readings. The more actual readings we have the better. Your new Smart Meter will help as they send us readings directly via electronic messages.

Where are we saying your usage is 4400 kWh per year? Between what points have you worked out it's 3500 kWh? Are these the same as we've used? How long have you been with us? Before the Smart Meter was fitted, were there any estimated bills?

Sorry for all the questions. Suspect the difference may be down to being based on varying data/times. Guessing though. The important thing is, as long as bills are based on actual readings, you'll only pay for what you use. There's an online tool called 'Real Time Billing' to help you keep up to date. Provided you've registered with our website, you can pop in readings and choose to either see the balance that would result or actually create your own bill. It's a great way to keep on top of things and to make sure charges are up to date and accurate.

Hope this is of interest mallyboy.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

15Posts Today

4,529Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Snap post #BBCOurNextPM poll: Who do you think did best. (I had to have two in one category, so I picked randoml? https://t.co/gYTNBBn3SP

• Emily Maitliss being v mean to Boris using his own past quotes against him on Heathrow, having an election when lea? https://t.co/4baNAlmMid

• Wow - impressive performance from the 15 year old climate change activist. Not sure I'd have had such confidence when still at school.

• Follow Martin