Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 4th Nov 13, 4:20 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Ryanair to charge £5 to pick a seat as it ends free-for-all
    • 4th Nov 13, 4:20 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Ryanair to charge £5 to pick a seat as it ends free-for-all 4th Nov 13 at 4:20 PM
    "Ryanair's free-for-all seating policy is to be scrapped from next February..."

Read the full story:

Ryanair to charge £5 to pick a seat as it ends free-for-all

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 4th Nov 13, 4:32 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 4th Nov 13, 4:32 PM
    • 4th Nov 13, 4:32 PM
    Nobody wants the middle seat, so if you don't pay, the computer is bound to give you the middle seat.
    • NFH
    • By NFH 4th Nov 13, 4:41 PM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 1,415 Thanks
    NFH
    • 4th Nov 13, 4:41 PM
    • 4th Nov 13, 4:41 PM
    At what point are you allocated a seat? With most airlines, this is done at check-in, regardless of method of check-in, which usually opens 24 hours before departure. However, with Ryanair offering check-in up to 15 days before departure, I doubt they will do this. And without your seat number on your boarding pass, how will you (or anyone else) easily identify your seat number?
    • lijaloo
    • By lijaloo 4th Nov 13, 5:08 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    lijaloo
    • 4th Nov 13, 5:08 PM
    When I checked in online with easyjet 30 days before my flight I was allocated seats at that time. I was also offered the option of paying extra for one of their premium seats but declined. Ryanair have said seats will be allocated 24 hours before the flight. So presumably that means they will be changing the time you can check in online which is currently between three weeks and four hours before the flight.
    • MarkBargain
    • By MarkBargain 4th Nov 13, 5:08 PM
    • 1,620 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    MarkBargain
    Is it guaranteed that all the people on one booking will be allocated seats together? Perhaps they will dispurse the group through the plane to encourage payment of the £5 fees?

So, passengers can check in two weeks before but only get the seat number 24 hours before. How is this communicated? Will there be a fee to find out your seat number at the airport for anyone who forgot to make a note or take a print? What about those who cannot check emails 24 hours before the flight e.g. when on holiday abroad?
    • NFH
    • By NFH 4th Nov 13, 5:23 PM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 1,415 Thanks
    NFH
    • 4th Nov 13, 5:23 PM
    • 4th Nov 13, 5:23 PM
    If they reduce the check-in time from 15 days down to 24 hours, this will hit the majority of people who don't have access to a printer while travelling. They would need to introduce mobile boarding passes (like many other airlines) which would also reduce the current paper wastage. However, given that their iPhone app is still struggling to work, I don't expect this any time soon.
  • hilda1
    • 4th Nov 13, 5:56 PM
    • 4th Nov 13, 5:56 PM
    Oh yes...the Irish man strikes again !.......Reckon he will soon be charging for using their in-flight loos and toilet paper !!
    Have a beer!
    • zerog
    • By zerog 4th Nov 13, 6:02 PM
    • 2,421 Posts
    • 849 Thanks
    zerog
    • 4th Nov 13, 6:02 PM
    If they reduce the check-in time from 15 days down to 24 hours, this will hit the majority of people who don't have access to a printer while travelling. They would need to introduce mobile boarding passes (like many other airlines) which would also reduce the current paper wastage. However, given that their iPhone app is still struggling to work, I don't expect this any time soon.
    Originally posted by NFH
    The past 3 times I tried a mobile boarding pass, the man at the gate printed me a paper one anyway. I didn't even get upgraded - when that happens they just write the number manually, which sometimes makes it hard to convince the crew that I didn't self-upgrade! (This is with proper airlines - not LearyAir)
    • richardw
    • By richardw 4th Nov 13, 6:02 PM
    • 19,004 Posts
    • 8,016 Thanks
    richardw
    Oh yes...the Irish man strikes again !.......Reckon he will soon be charging for using their in-flight loos and toilet paper !!
    Originally posted by hilda1
    I think that's unlikely.
    Last edited by richardw; 04-11-2013 at 6:08 PM.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • lijaloo
    • By lijaloo 4th Nov 13, 6:11 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    lijaloo
    They are going to offer the option of downloading boarding passes onto smart phones from Feb 2014 according to the Ryanair website. Look at news for 30th October.
    • NFH
    • By NFH 4th Nov 13, 6:22 PM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 1,415 Thanks
    NFH
    It sounds as if this new policy could be fine for lone travellers with smartphones, but quite a problem for many other people, especially families who need to sit together. Even if the parents have smartphones, most young children haven't.
    • Mobeer
    • By Mobeer 4th Nov 13, 6:34 PM
    • 1,781 Posts
    • 4,440 Thanks
    Mobeer
    Is it guaranteed that all the people on one booking will be allocated seats together? Perhaps they will dispurse the group through the plane to encourage payment of the £5 fees?

So, passengers can check in two weeks before but only get the seat number 24 hours before. How is this communicated? Will there be a fee to find out your seat number at the airport for anyone who forgot to make a note or take a print? What about those who cannot check emails 24 hours before the flight e.g. when on holiday abroad?
    Originally posted by MarkBargain

I wonder if they will let people on one booking be seated far apart. It could be nice for some trips.

Bet they keep check-in up to two weeks (or longer). Then they can sell seat-reservations as you check-in until 24-hours before the flight. I suspect that though non-payers will get seats allocated 24-hours in advance they will only find out the seat number at the gate.
    • Mr Wang
    • By Mr Wang 4th Nov 13, 6:38 PM
    • 1,265 Posts
    • 983 Thanks
    Mr Wang
    This is exactly what happens on most budget airlines across Asia - They automatically assign you the middle seat and occasionally the aisle seat.
    If you get the window you are seriously lucky!
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 4th Nov 13, 6:38 PM
    • 3,350 Posts
    • 8,705 Thanks
    melanzana
    Ok if you want to be seated with your children and partner/helper, you pay for seats together.

Otherwise, your seats are assigned. Now I couldn't care less for a two hour trip if I am beside or beyond OH. We can cope.

The big thing is, there will not be a rush for the seats. Or will there?

That seems to happen in every airline. You know, the scrum at the Q, when your seat is assigned anyway!

I just don't get that?
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 4th Nov 13, 6:40 PM
    • 8,411 Posts
    • 5,167 Thanks
    buglawton
    So what happens when 100% of punters decide not to pay the £5?
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 4th Nov 13, 6:44 PM
    • 3,350 Posts
    • 8,705 Thanks
    melanzana
    This is exactly what happens on most budget airlines across Asia - They automatically assign you the middle seat and occasionally the aisle seat.
    If you get the window you are seriously lucky!
    Originally posted by Mr Wang
    If its a short trip who cares?

I cannot understand the desire for a window seat. As soon as you sit down you need to have a P. and disturb everyone.

And all you can see are the clouds!

Maybe it's something to do with being able to fall asleep with your noggin facing the window so no one sees your drools. I dunno.

I don't mind what seat I'm in. I must be so happy To be travelling at all!

We are privileged. And maybe it's a competition as to who gets what.....

Daft.

Someone has to get the middle seat!
    • Dave save
    • By Dave save 4th Nov 13, 6:45 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    Dave save
    As long as I get a seat that's not next to an obese unwashed person, I really don't mind. However, I've managed to avoid Ryanair for a few years now, my own personal protest against O'Leary's constant revenue raising schemes.
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 4th Nov 13, 6:46 PM
    • 3,350 Posts
    • 8,705 Thanks
    melanzana
    So what happens when 100% of punters decide not to pay the £5?
    Originally posted by buglawton
    You will be assigned a seat. No worries. But if you are travelling with your children and maybe elderly relatives, you might like to ensure you are together.

Most, including myself couldn't care less, but will be happy that I know I have a seat assigned!
    • Kite2010
    • By Kite2010 4th Nov 13, 6:52 PM
    • 4,163 Posts
    • 3,549 Thanks
    Kite2010
    At least it will reduce the mad rush of people trying to get on the plane, changing to "rows X and above are now boarding".

(I prefer getting a seat near the back, just means I can get on the plane earlier, sit down and start reading as everybody else gets onboard)
  • ellie3009
    For some bookings presumably they will HAVE to allocated together regardless of payement - they can hardly sit parents at the other end of the plane from their screaming 4 year old...
    Although sometimes the parents might prefer it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,170Posts Today

7,367Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Gumtree: @MartinSLewis Hi Martin, we do not tolerate unscrupulous advertising by third parties on the Gumtree platform and are working?

• Today's Twitter Poll: How do you view nuclear power? Is it an environmentally friendly form of clean renewable ene? https://t.co/WE5pRJ1Jsx

• So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Follow Martin