MSE News: Ryanair to charge £5 to pick a seat as it ends free-for-all

"Ryanair's free-for-all seating policy is to be scrapped from next February..."
Read the full story:

Ryanair to charge £5 to pick a seat as it ends free-for-all

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Nobody wants the middle seat, so if you don't pay, the computer is bound to give you the middle seat.
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    At what point are you allocated a seat? With most airlines, this is done at check-in, regardless of method of check-in, which usually opens 24 hours before departure. However, with Ryanair offering check-in up to 15 days before departure, I doubt they will do this. And without your seat number on your boarding pass, how will you (or anyone else) easily identify your seat number?
  • lijaloo
    lijaloo Posts: 265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    When I checked in online with easyjet 30 days before my flight I was allocated seats at that time. I was also offered the option of paying extra for one of their premium seats but declined. Ryanair have said seats will be allocated 24 hours before the flight. So presumably that means they will be changing the time you can check in online which is currently between three weeks and four hours before the flight.
  • MarkBargain
    MarkBargain Posts: 1,641 Forumite
    Is it guaranteed that all the people on one booking will be allocated seats together? Perhaps they will dispurse the group through the plane to encourage payment of the £5 fees?

So, passengers can check in two weeks before but only get the seat number 24 hours before. How is this communicated? Will there be a fee to find out your seat number at the airport for anyone who forgot to make a note or take a print? What about those who cannot check emails 24 hours before the flight e.g. when on holiday abroad?
  • NFH
    If they reduce the check-in time from 15 days down to 24 hours, this will hit the majority of people who don't have access to a printer while travelling. They would need to introduce mobile boarding passes (like many other airlines) which would also reduce the current paper wastage. However, given that their iPhone app is still struggling to work, I don't expect this any time soon.
  • hilda1
    hilda1 Posts: 167 Forumite
    Oh yes...the Irish man strikes again !.......Reckon he will soon be charging for using their in-flight loos and toilet paper;):) !!
    :)Have a beer! :beer:
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    NFH wrote: »
    If they reduce the check-in time from 15 days down to 24 hours, this will hit the majority of people who don't have access to a printer while travelling. They would need to introduce mobile boarding passes (like many other airlines) which would also reduce the current paper wastage. However, given that their iPhone app is still struggling to work, I don't expect this any time soon.

The past 3 times I tried a mobile boarding pass, the man at the gate printed me a paper one anyway. I didn't even get upgraded - when that happens they just write the number manually, which sometimes makes it hard to convince the crew that I didn't self-upgrade! (This is with proper airlines - not LearyAir)
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 November 2013 at 8:08PM
    hilda1 wrote: »
    Oh yes...the Irish man strikes again !.......Reckon he will soon be charging for using their in-flight loos and toilet paper;):) !!

I think that's unlikely.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • lijaloo
    lijaloo Posts: 265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    They are going to offer the option of downloading boarding passes onto smart phones from Feb 2014 according to the Ryanair website. Look at news for 30th October.
  • NFH
    It sounds as if this new policy could be fine for lone travellers with smartphones, but quite a problem for many other people, especially families who need to sit together. Even if the parents have smartphones, most young children haven't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure