Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 24th Apr 10, 7:57 PM
    • 17,087Posts
    • 132,754Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies
    • 24th Apr 10, 7:57 PM
    Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies 24th Apr 10 at 7:57 PM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Penlope Penguin for starting this legendary thread, which includes everything from growing your own veg to washing & reusing plastic bags.
    Scroll down for tons more tips.

If you havenít already,
    join the forum.

Back to the original post...

The original Sneaky Ways thread is now very long so time for another

My Sneaky Way - always ask yourself if you really need a non-essential item, and even if you do, wait a week to see if you still need it This has saved DH and I loads

What are your ways of sneakily saving pennies that your family doesn't notice? I challenge you all to come up with a brand new Sneaky Way that isn;t on the original thread

Penny. x

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply! Thanks to Penelope Penguin for posting the tip originally.
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Rhiannon; 14-05-2019 at 9:52 AM.
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
Page 3
    • Barneysmom
    • By Barneysmom 2nd May 10, 7:37 AM
    • 9,464 Posts
    • 24,285 Thanks
    Barneysmom
    I've got a carpet sweeper too, they're really good for little jobs and you don't need to hoover so often.
    Barney is my border collie.
    • babyshoes
    • By babyshoes 2nd May 10, 1:31 PM
    • 1,709 Posts
    • 3,325 Thanks
    babyshoes
    I find a stiff bristled broom works well too, especially in a household with 2 long haired people and a bunch of shedding animals! The little hoover gets clogged with hair if I go straight in with it, especially considering how seldom I bother. A quick sweep up of the hair and 'bits' works wonders - most of the hair clings to the bristles to go straight in the bin, and the remaining dirt can easily be picked up with a dustpan and brush. A quick hoover then finishes it off if necessary!
    • greengoblin
    • By greengoblin 2nd May 10, 10:12 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 1,721 Thanks
    greengoblin
    As a serial roll up smoker I often find that I have left over odd papers and filters when I come to the end of a pouch of tobacco. Rather than carry round a 1/4 of a pack when I buy new tobacco I just buy new filters/papers and discard the rest. For the last month I have conscientiously been putting remnant packets to one side and tonight have made up full packets. Surprised to find I have 2 whole packets of filters (240!) and over 50 papers. In fairness that is a net saving of under £2 but hey its £2 for the savings pot and I haven't wasted them and also £2 off next weeks food shop. ( or £24 over a year. £24 potentially wasted on little bits of foam!!! ) Hurrah for small victories
    All that is gold does not glitter
    All those who wander are not lost

Recycle ALL the things!
  • puss14
    If I pre cook my apples for crumble I keep any excess water as it is great in curries or smoothies or casseroles.
    Thailand 3010/15000 2015
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 3rd May 10, 1:36 PM
    • 5,092 Posts
    • 49,545 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Nice one Puss14

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • Boomdocker
    • By Boomdocker 3rd May 10, 2:49 PM
    • 1,187 Posts
    • 2,348 Thanks
    Boomdocker
    Ribbon
    If I buy or recieve anything with a ribbon on it (such as PJ's from Primark) I always keep the ribbon from it to re-use on my hampers or gifts. No-one will ever know!
    Boots Card - £17.53, Nectar Points - £15.06 - *Saving for Chrimbo*
    2015 Savings Fund - £2575.00
    • beautiful_ravens
    • By beautiful_ravens 3rd May 10, 8:11 PM
    • 751 Posts
    • 2,874 Thanks
    beautiful_ravens
    ^ hehe Im a nightmare for doing things like that, I had loads of ribbons saved from some expensive xmas crackers, which I later made into gift tag ribbons
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
    • bellaquidsin
    • By bellaquidsin 4th May 10, 6:34 AM
    • 1,087 Posts
    • 9,114 Thanks
    bellaquidsin
    I cut the ribbons from the inside shoulders of tops and jumpers and use it in card making. I sell my cards for £1 a time, so this little bit of thrift gives me a very good return.

Bella.
    A man's life consisteth not in the abundance of things which he possesseth. Luke 12 v 15
  • zoelb
    Thanks for all the tips so far - really useful. This thread is shaping up to be as good as the last

My tip is dying my clothes. Mainly my black jeans tend to fade after time, but still have plenty of wear in them - so I get a pack of black dylon machine dye (around £4 but you can find it cheaper I think) and dye them (throw in a couple of light tops too you want to revive to get the most out of it). I also dyed a pair of light wash jeans which I never wear, but love the fit, a lovely dark denim colour, and now I wear them loads!

Easier than scouring the shops for the perfect fit jeans, and cheaper too!
    • curlytop12
    • By curlytop12 4th May 10, 5:01 PM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 1,204 Thanks
    curlytop12
    Lauren-1,ooooh,please tell us about your beauty products!
    Last edited by curlytop12; 04-05-2010 at 5:04 PM. Reason: forgot to put who i was asking!
  • sock-knitter
    Thanks for all the tips so far - really useful. This thread is shaping up to be as good as the last

My tip is dying my clothes. Mainly my black jeans tend to fade after time, but still have plenty of wear in them - so I get a pack of black dylon machine dye (around £4 but you can find it cheaper I think) and dye them (throw in a couple of light tops too you want to revive to get the most out of it). I also dyed a pair of light wash jeans which I never wear, but love the fit, a lovely dark denim colour, and now I wear them loads!

Easier than scouring the shops for the perfect fit jeans, and cheaper too!
    Originally posted by zoelb
    thanks for this tip, as a tall person i find it hard getting jeans that fit, and they are usually expensive, going to buy some of this dye tommorrow, and revive my old jeans
    loves to knit and crochet for others
    • septemberblues
    • By septemberblues 4th May 10, 7:50 PM
    • 825 Posts
    • 3,456 Thanks
    septemberblues
    I started at Weightwatchers last Wednesday (1st weigh in tomorrow eek), and I have been buying the ww ready meals at £1 a packet, as they seem to be an easy way to eat. But I know they are full of salt etc, so I have decided to cook up my own little meals and put them in the freezer,so that there is always a meal for me (that is low in points). I was going to go to Wilco's tomorrow and buy some of their silver foil boxes and put the food in them, then freeze.

I was talking to my mother, who said, don't buy the metal boxes, use the old ww food trays, because this would save money AND will be good for portions (I'm quite likely to eat loads otherwise!). So I have just taken some out of the recylcing bin, I'll give them a good scrub and cook some stuff up tomorrow.

But I still have to find a lid, was going to use silver foil and then put in freezer, anyone got a better idea ?
    KEEP CALM AND keep taking the tablets
    • ginnyknit
    • By ginnyknit 4th May 10, 10:10 PM
    • 3,584 Posts
    • 42,373 Thanks
    ginnyknit
    I got a whoopsie stew pack of veg last week and couldn't be bothered cooking the swede for hours so I microwved it for 5 mins then chopped it up and it cooked perfectly with the carrots.
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 5th May 10, 6:41 AM
    • 1,868 Posts
    • 6,832 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    I started at Weightwatchers last Wednesday (1st weigh in tomorrow eek), and I have been buying the ww ready meals at £1 a packet, as they seem to be an easy way to eat. But I know they are full of salt etc, so I have decided to cook up my own little meals and put them in the freezer,so that there is always a meal for me (that is low in points). I was going to go to Wilco's tomorrow and buy some of their silver foil boxes and put the food in them, then freeze.

I was talking to my mother, who said, don't buy the metal boxes, use the old ww food trays, because this would save money AND will be good for portions (I'm quite likely to eat loads otherwise!). So I have just taken some out of the recylcing bin, I'll give them a good scrub and cook some stuff up tomorrow.

But I still have to find a lid, was going to use silver foil and then put in freezer, anyone got a better idea ?
    Originally posted by septemberblues
    Pity you didn't keep the boxes from the old takeaway days You can buy a pack of them (about 10 I think) from the pound shops and use them over and over again. They are microwave-friendly too. I reckon one filled (part curry, spagbol, etc topped up with rice or pasta) makes a reasonable size meal for one?
    I add fresh veg seperately to make a more healthy option and more filling!
    Last edited by Eenymeeny; 05-05-2010 at 6:46 AM. Reason: Adding something I'd forgotten
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.

Please and Thank You are the magic words
    • lauren_1
    • By lauren_1 5th May 10, 10:47 AM
    • 1,984 Posts
    • 5,256 Thanks
    lauren_1
    Lauren-1,ooooh,please tell us about your beauty products!
    Originally posted by gem68
    Ok
    Lavender toner (3 drops of lavender oil, 10ml of water and a tiny amount of vodka or milk to emulsify *vodka not for dry skin
    Rosewater toner
    cuecumber toner
    mint toner
    Hot water and honey wash

Coconut oil and avacado whip (for hair and skin, beat 2 egg yolks, beat in 3 over riped mashed avacado's and blend in a good dollops of slightly melted coconut oil, i find a stick blender works a treat)

^ can add some salt for a exfoliator

*Papaya and oat mask, blend over ripe papaya and oats, add a little olive oil or honey to get the right consistancy * can use a banana or cuecumber flesh too, different fruits are catered to different skin

lavender oil, excellent for soothing and for sunburn, lavender oil and tea tree oil can be used neat on the skin but adding a few drops to oil makes it easier. put on before bed time

this is just a few
    • lauren_1
    • By lauren_1 5th May 10, 10:55 AM
    • 1,984 Posts
    • 5,256 Thanks
    lauren_1
    Also have a look on the health and beauty board and look for the oil cleansing method, any base oils can be used but castor needs to be added to another oil as it can dry skin. Its all natural and the oil wont clog your pores as much as shop bought junk, doubles as moisturiser too.

Skin scrubs can be made from basic sugar/salt and oil, add a few drops of essential oil.
  • zoelb
    thanks for this tip, as a tall person i find it hard getting jeans that fit, and they are usually expensive, going to buy some of this dye tommorrow, and revive my old jeans
    Originally posted by sock-knitter
    Good luck, you'll love it! It's like getting new clothes for free. Let us know how it goes...
    • lauren_1
    • By lauren_1 5th May 10, 12:46 PM
    • 1,984 Posts
    • 5,256 Thanks
    lauren_1
    A block mascara will go further and doubles up as eye liner, savings more further still, the dirt cheapest black, blue or brown eye shadow (you know the ones that are so cheap they are useless, get a old wand, pick up a bit of vaseline or spit on it, mix with the eye shadow....viola emergency mascara) the same mix can be used for eye liner.

save boiled red cabbage water, rinse hair with it, the deeper the colour the better,gives a slight tint when light shines off it, works best for dark hair, or whizz up and entire cabbage and put the pulp on your hair for 10 mins *brunettes only again.

You can also use cabbage and beetroot to dye clothes with.
    • Winchelsea
    • By Winchelsea 5th May 10, 9:24 PM
    • 691 Posts
    • 9,316 Thanks
    Winchelsea
    lauren_1

About the red cabbage, beetroot etc, to dye clothes, you can use rhubarb leaves as a mordant to fix the dye.

I haven't actually tried it myself, but I was talking to a spinner/dyer at a craft show, and that's what she told me.
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
    • lauren_1
    • By lauren_1 6th May 10, 7:07 AM
    • 1,984 Posts
    • 5,256 Thanks
    lauren_1
    I dont have any rhubarb growing yet, but when i do what do you do with the leaves?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,231Posts Today

7,736Users online

Martin's Twitter