Gift recommendations for a baby when they're old

I've recently been asked to be a guideparent (non-religious godparent) to a baby, and I've also just become an auntie for the first time. Does anyone have suggestions of nice gifts I could get to celebrate their birth? Recommendations for where I could find good financial bonds, barrels of whiskey or bottles of wine of anything else that they could have when they're 18, or anything like that would be welcome.

I'm totally up for hearing any more unusual suggestions. I'm happy to spend up to £1000, which is why I'm a bit nervous of buying jewellery or something that may not be in fashion in the future. I had a quick look at a lot of the forums about godparent gifts but as it's non-religious I didn't find many relevant suggestions.

Any thoughts welcome! Thank you!

Comments

• Happy_Kitties
    Happy_Kitties Posts: 1,614 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I went to a christening a couple of months ago with 3 of my cousins children's getting christened.
    I didn't have the budget you have but I bought them each a Royal Mint item as I remember someone doing the same for DD and DN, they make nice gifts and are really something they keep and something different.

My only other thought is premium bonds?
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    A first edition of a classic novel or a beautifully illustrated children's book, they can still be enjoyed in adulthood and read to successive generations.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    How about some solid gold so that they can have it made into something they like later in life? The value could even go up by then.

I bought shares in Tottenham Hotspur FC for my nephew, more for the "fan value" than investment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure