High Income Child Benefit Charge

Options

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    He said there were millions outstanding, which means that the media campaign did not work,

..or that people simply ignored it.....
  • Swifty75
    Options
    Not sure why anyone would ignore it?

I certainly didn't, if they had told me that I had made an error in 12/13 I would have sorted it. To wait 6 tax years then tell me, then impose penalties, is bad not only for me but the taxpayer. As I say I have paid tax for 20 years and believe we should pay what is due, I have never avoided or evaded tax, when at times I could have. This is a situation that HMRC admitted to me on the phone was in part their own making.
  • beefturnmail
    beefturnmail Posts: 906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 November 2017 at 12:58PM
    Options
    Whilst I was aware of this at the time, and took the necessary steps to ensure I would not be hit by this (increased pension contributions), I do have sympathy with those who missed it, as many are not as clued up or as interested in this sort of thing as me. I think HMRC had a duty to chase things up earlier - I think it's outrageous to leave it 4 years and then ask for the full amount back plus penalties.

I wonder if it might be worth appealing if you have been caught out, at least the penalties and/or asking for repayment of the child benefit by installments rather than in one go. Others on here will know more about the likelihood of any success with this.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Whilst I was aware of this at the time, and took the necessary steps to ensure I would not be hit by this (increased pension contributions), I do have sympathy with those who missed it, as many are not as clued up or as interested in this sort of thing as me. I think HMRC had a duty to chase things up earlier - I think it's outrageous to leave it 4 years and then ask for the full amount back plus penalties.
    as an opening stance in a negotiation all + penalties is surely the only place they can begin from. Doesn't mean that's what they'll end with.

After all they are dealing with those earning higher rate tax which makes them the top 15% of taxpaying society and thus people who should be clued up about what is going on. I well remember the person in our office who was moaning about this for weeks when it first came out.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/number-of-individual-income-taxpayers-by-marginal-rate-gender-and-age
  • beefturnmail
    Options
    00ec25 wrote: »
    as an opening stance in a negotiation all + penalties is surely the only place they can begin from. Doesn't mean that's what they'll end with.

After all they are dealing with those earning higher rate tax which makes them the top 15% of taxpaying society and thus people who should be clued up about what is going on. I well remember the person in our office who was moaning about this for weeks when it first came out.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/number-of-individual-income-taxpayers-by-marginal-rate-gender-and-age

I'm not sure I follow the logic that if you are paying higher rate tax you are necessarily clued up with all the nuances and intricacies of Government policy and the tax system.

A lot of people who have been caught could be people who have only recently just crept over the higher income tax barrier (not rich by any means, especially in London), and who have a (possibly-ex) partner claiming the child benefit, not themselves.

I think the way this has been set up always made it more likely that people would be caught out, than is the case with other taxes\benefits; therefore HMRC should have been chasing people up earlier, not leaving it 4 years and applying penalties (after all they are the only people in possession of the full information on exactly who is claiming child benefit and paying HRT)
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    (after all they are the only people in possession of the full information on exactly who is claiming child benefit and paying HRT)

But that's two different databases which are held by different departments and probably using different database coding. Not to mention that there'll be parents with different surnames, possibly at different addresses, so even if you had two identical databases, there's no easy way to link them. So, whilst I am usually pretty keen on criticising HMRC, they really were given an impossible task with this.

It should never have been brought in in the first place. Just a libdem policy on the hoof to appeal to their core voters. Completely illogical and unfair policy. At the very least, there should have been an implementation delay to allow time for HMRC to set up systems to police it.
  • Swifty75
    Options
    HMRC admitted to me on the phone yesterday that it is only in recent years that that have set up a department to investigate. Also that the benefits office have not been helpful with the supply of data. My NI number is linked to the tax code it is also linked to the CB claim. I told HMRC that I could teach them all about excel and how to use vlookup! It is six tax years that it has taken to do something that in many respects should be simple.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I well remember the person in our office who was moaning about this for weeks when it first came out.

I remember it well, thought the policy unfair and wrote to my MP to say so.........and I was not in any way affected by it......
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    Swifty75 wrote: »
    HMRC admitted to me on the phone yesterday that it is only in recent years that that have set up a department to investigate. Also that the benefits office have not been helpful with the supply of data. My NI number is linked to the tax code it is also linked to the CB claim. I told HMRC that I could teach them all about excel and how to use vlookup! It is six tax years that it has taken to do something that in many respects should be simple.

Of course it’s only been in recent years, it only started in 2013 with the first lot of returns due Jan 2014. Unsure what department they are referring to either, there’s always been departments that deal with self assessment checks. Do you honestly expect them to use an excel spreadsheet to keep details of millions of child benefit claimants, their partners and their income?
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I find it interesting that HMRCs ability to link information about spouses is now supposedly worse than it was 30 years ago when the male would have to pay more tax if the female in the relationship earned too much. I say supposedly because they seem to be able to link it as soon as we are talking penalties but not as soon as the event occurs that causes the extra charge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure