The trials & tribulations of a 1st time landlord & investor

Comments

• TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,493
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It is separate covers 12 month rent plus legal fees max £50k. Think it cost £180 money well spent. Dg is a housing solicitor so she'll keep and eye on what they do she comes up against agents getting it wrong all the time. I hope he pays today or I'll get update Monday I assume.

Phone line moved now where we wanted it and we can plug laptop straight into it for the TV to watch Sky. Shows we're getting speeds of 76 but wifi it's only 35 max. Need to find out how speed tests works vodaphone say we're fine but engineer who we paid to move it says it's wrong.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Feb 24 £41,650 (Wins, Jan £200 Feb £150) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,152
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    TG - do you need to introduce yourself as unemployed ? You could say you have property, you could stretch it and say you have a small property portfolio and just leave it vague, you could say you are volunteering at this stage in your life whilst you make a decision on your next career, you could even just say that at the moment you are taking stock of your life and are lucky enough to be in a position to have a break from paid employment ? So many ways to describe the same period which are all true so don't label yourself with something you don't enjoy

daisy
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • Tahlullah
    Tahlullah Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    Daisy, what a lovely post.

Tx
    Still striving to be mortgage free before I get to a point I can't enjoy it.

Owed at the end of -
    02/19 - £78,400. 04/19 - £85,000. 05/19 - £83,300. 06/19 - £78,900.
    07/19 - £77,500. 08/19 - £76,000.
  • TallGirl
    Forumite
    daisy_1571 wrote: »
    TG - do you need to introduce yourself as unemployed ? You could say you have property, you could stretch it and say you have a small property portfolio and just leave it vague, you could say you are volunteering at this stage in your life whilst you make a decision on your next career, you could even just say that at the moment you are taking stock of your life and are lucky enough to be in a position to have a break from paid employment ? So many ways to describe the same period which are all true so don't label yourself with something you don't enjoy

daisy

Thanks Daisy that is a lovely post wish I had read it before I went but as it happened when I walked in to wait in reception there was already two people there. One from my prev maternity job who caused me loads of problems who I also recently bumped into at that job interview. Luckily the other person was from my current volunteering job and he wanted to chat as I hadn't told him I was going to that meeting. That avoided talking to her. Loads of people came I knew as well but when I came to introductions the person from my volunteer place was just before me so I just said I was also from there and my name.

It was good to go and meet so many people whould have loved to not network a bit more but didn't really get much of a chance. Next meeting is in September if I go I'll get nine CPD points just from those meetings and with all the other courses I'm booked on I'm sorted.

Played a few holes when I got home DG got into a bit of a strop again over her golf. She realised this when we got back it's a shame but I thInk she can't get over it as neither of us enjoy it when she gets like that.

TV worries really well in new socket so that's one less issue gone away for the sake of £115. I had four low alcohol beers last night felt like I was proper drinking but obovusly no hangover this morning. DG did have some vodka. I should say she had some issues at work not her fault and some mistakes were made which means she has to work all Sunday on a case due in the High Court. Not fair but has to be done. Also scary as she doesn't normally go to the High Court.

Today I'll be doing some pre course work, look at a job application I'm not sure of and tomorrow playing with the ladies which I look forward to.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Feb 24 £41,650 (Wins, Jan £200 Feb £150) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    Not done a lot today been so hot here and DG had a hangover as predicted. Spent £10 on bits to make the new room nicer which it did. Also spent £10 at MacD plus £5 on junk from Sainsbury's when I really should have got milk which I forgot.

No golf just too hot but DG says she's going tomorrow after she's done her work so hopefully meet it's her for lunch after my game. I'm playing at 10 she'll take the bus.

Sorted my summer clothes out I have loads no need to buy anything bar a white t shirt which is great. Our joint account is really low as I've switched from paying two weeks early to on the first so only temporarily looking like that.

Early night much needed I'm hoping I'll play well tomorrow who knows with golf it changes all the time.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• TallGirl
    Forumite
    edited 20 June 2017 at 6:20AM
    Right crunch time today been 11 days since I last heard re dream job and the vacancy is no longer live on website so who knows what's going on. I'll call him this morning need to know one way or the other still happy to wait and he'll know if more are coming up.

Seem a couple of low paid but temporary jobs in the right field will apply for them later.

Need to do some cooking today and some study for courses next week got two plus two days volunteering so nice and busy. Also course tomorrow which is great. Courses are giving me a resfresher in pretty much all areas of my knowledge base which can only be a good thing and it's free.

Tonight I'm meeting ex brother in law and sister in law he's the greedy one and he doesn't know about DG. I'm not sure when I last saw them but may be over six month I should think. Not seen FIL since end of Jan so it will be good to get an update although I fear the family business will be struggling. Guess I could alsways get a job there although it wouldn't be worth commuting for. See what happens if they ask if I am seeing anyone I'll own up but otherwise no point. DG obviously aren't coming tonight.

Need to chase estate agent as tenant still hasn't paid oh the joys.

Also got some sewing to do really a lot to crack on with and nephew will be here week after next.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• Tahlullah
    It's not sounding good with the job, but I will keep my fingers crossed that this is just their poor administration, not keeping you informed.

Tx

Owed at the end of -
  • TallGirl
    Forumite
    It's was a no interviews are being arranged and I'm not on the list. My contact at the agency is on leave but other person promised to get back to me. Well we shall see disappointed obviously. Applied for the other temp one and ready to send one more off when DG has checked it.

Saw ex brother and sister in law all fine no issues didn't have to tell them about DG. He's come to the same conclusion as me the property is mine what a shame but I'm not going to be difficult about it.

Had two beers DG had a !!!! day too think there might be some more beers soon course tomorrow so can't go too mad.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Really sorry to hear about the job. It must be very disappointing not to get an interview. Hopefully the agent will give you some feedback.

Which property are you talking about and why is it a shame that it is yours?
  • Tahlullah
    Sorry about the bad news TG. There is always another job around the corner.

Tx

Owed at the end of -
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport