PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Snow! Proper winter, now that sounds lovely to me at the moment instead of this endless rain. I'm sure that the birds in our garden are developing webbed feet! Apparently there's a village in Wales that has had rain every day since October! I feel so sorry for them and I try to count my blessings when I see those poor people who have been flooded out.
    I don't mind winter at all. it's the strong winds that I don't like....
    I hope that you're warm and comfortable Mardatha :)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • Rainy-Days
    Rainy-Days Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Options
    Snow is forecast and on the way - although not for everybody it seems!

Think it more the Highlands that are going to get this minus 10 degrees, although there was an amazing picture of the snow covered Fells in the Lake District in the paper this morning, which looked pretty atmospheric!

Definitely a fire on and feet up week ahead I think :)
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 13 January 2016 at 7:49PM
    Options
    Snow and bad ice forecast here. This will be our first winter using one of the smaller 4x4 (Honda crv) but being a short eh person I've been worried about how I'm supposed to scarpe ice and snow off the higher windscreens. Thanks to *ldi I've got a long polled one :o

This car has been great value for us where we live and we glamp a lot in nicer weather, it's been amazing to be able to get to some wilder areas. If you can find an older one and need to get a new vehicle I highly recommend it.
  • MrsCD
    MrsCD Posts: 1,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Snow here today. The roads are awful and all the cars are going very slowly so we turned around and came back home as it wasn't absolutely necessary to be out.
    More than enough food in the house so we'll be ok for a while.
    Stay warm, dry and safe everyone. x
    2024 Fashion on the ration 32/66 used
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We've had snow fluttering this morning in Yorkshire- but it doesn't seem to be settling. Very icy wind, though. Just back from shopping and flicked the heating on! Needs must today :)
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Woke up to deep snow here drifting to a foot in some parts. Temp is minus 4 now and dropping fast.
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Only 1C here in the outskirts of North London, dry but winds are getting pretty strong.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • tooties
    tooties Posts: 801 Forumite
    Options
    Got up to deep snow here, heating on all day wood burner lit when DH came home, good job DH works on a farm that provides access to tractors as i have been ill all week and have gp appt in the morning, no 4x4 for us as we were not in a position to change car any time soon.
    Thank goodness for understanding boss.

Stay warm and safe everyone

regards
    :j
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have had to switch the humidifiers on, one in the bedroom and one downstairs. Woke up at 3 with such dry sinuses, blocked and could hear dry breathing in my chest. Much more comfortable now that my nose is free flowing again. Set on 55 for now. Humidity was 47 before

No snow here. Will be sorting more bird feeders later, just need to re-arrange them as the starlings are non-stop pooping on garden furniture. I think I`ll be getting sun later so will scrub the table and chairs and then move them, if I don`t then there will be a thick white layer on them in a couple of weeks. Can`t stop the starlings btw, they are cheeky and forceful but they are funny
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    The snow brings the birds to the feeders here, got such an assortment. I love to watch them. A very persistent big daft pheasant, couple of collared doves, 4 wood pigeons, a mix of gorgeous wee finches pretty in green and pink and a yellowhammer. The starlings and jackdaws visit next door, she must feed them stuff they like better than my seed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback