PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Comments

• toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Howling gale, and driving rain again, but I'm not cold!
    This is the norm now!
    :j
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Temp hasn't got above 2 degrees outdoors today. The wind and rain makes it feel all a bit soggy but coats, ear muffs, scarves, boots and gloves make it bearable outdoors.

I think the only thing I need this winter is reflective radiator panels for 5 radiators and we're sorted. All windows have curtains, all doors have draught excluders and all beds have a blanket. Oh. 2 hot water bottles are needed too.

For those that have snow (and flowers :eek: :) ) enjoy but be cosy.
  • Rainy-Days
    Rainy-Days Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    The waether is kind of 'panning' out as it did last year, very stormy, strong winds/gales and rain - lots of it.

I was checking back and it seems that March this year was when we really had that cold snap; other than that we had quite a mild winter!

I don't mind, but the ground is pretty saturated and it makes walking a bit on the yuck side, especially when we get back and the woofs have to be washed and towelled down each time!
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Can you prepare for sleepless nights when your new home is on high exposed ground? Thought not :cool::rotfl:

Suffering from last night and it wasn't even flagged as stormy winds. :cool:
  • We bought our first little home close to a railway track, at first we heard every train day and night, after a while though there's obviously some sort of filter in your brain because people who came to visit would say 'what a lot of noise from those trains' and we'd stopped hearing them altogether! You'll get used to the new everyday noises and you'll get used to the wind and weather noises too lovey, takes a little while but it will happen and they won't keep you awake. If you would use them WAX EARPLUGS from the chemist are a good solution and block out most of the noise and are not too expensive either. I find they're much better at blocking noise than the foam ones you can get and much more comfortable to use.
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,075 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    I used to live very near a town hall clock that sounded like big Ben and chimed every quarter hour, just like you MrsLW we became used to it quite quickly and when we moved away from it we didn't notice the quiet!!!!
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,140 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The problem with wind is that unlike trains and chimes it isn't regular. Sometimes it sounds like it is trying to get in. And sometimes you can feel it as it hits the house. It isn't just the noise, it's worrying about damage etc.
  • toozie_2
    I find gales and driving rain outside quite cosy when you are snug in a warm bed, it sort of lulls me to sleep!
    Possibly it's because I've always lived in windy places tho!
    More gales and torrential rain are forecast for the weekend here.

Take care everyone.
  • toozie_2
    OMG

Not looking good for the weekend here, gales, rain, wind, gales......
    I'm working tomorrow, out in the dark, home in the dark and back out to works Xmas party :eek::eek:
    Thankfully I will be home all weekend though, cleaning...more cleaning, wrapping, decorating, cooking, more cleaning, washing, ironing with the hatches firmly battened down.

Take care everyone
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Looking pretty dire eh? We've got over 8 inches of snow here, started at 4 and stopped at 10. Chaos on the road, buses stuck lorries stuck and even 2 snow ploughs stuck. Winter's here lol
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback