Recommend boiler

Hey guys,

Can someone recommend a good boiler that is sensibly priced. I have no knowledge in this so could do with your help. I have read Worcester or Vailant are the best ones.

I am renovating my house, quite a large property - 6 bedrooms, 2 living rooms, kitchen and 2 bathrooms with showers. So need a top quality boiler which can handle the high demand.

I have found a qualified person who is willing to do the work for me for a good price but I will have to get the materials – just that I don’t want them to use cheap ones and rip me off.

The boiler should be able to handle central heating, two showers etc without dropping pressure. Thanks

Comments

• Tallymanjohn
    Tallymanjohn Posts: 1,060 Forumite
    Vailliant are the more expensive, but Worcester Bosch are just as good. We've just had a Worcester 30Cdi installed in our house - 5 bed, 4 reception, 2 bathroom, kitchen, conservatory & it's fine for us. Because of the showers I would not recommend a combi - go for a conventional condensing boiler with a hot water tank.
  • JonathanA
    JonathanA Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We're in the process of changing our old boiler. Two independents we've had for quotes have both suggested Worcester Bosch and Vaillant. We're looking for a conventional condensing boiler for the same reasons as tallymanjohn suggests above - 2 power showers, simultaneous use etc. Someone I spoke to in the trade suggested that Vaillant were slightly better than WB, but there wasn't much in it.

I also enquired about Baxi as I thought they were good, but was advised it was worth paying the extra to go for Vaillant or WB. I'm sure loads of people will now say that their Baxi boilers are really good, but that was the advice we were given (by an independent who knew they wouldn't be selling us anything!)
  • Vailliant are the more expensive, but Worcester Bosch are just as good. We've just had a Worcester 30Cdi installed in our house - 5 bed, 4 reception, 2 bathroom, kitchen, conservatory & it's fine for us. Because of the showers I would not recommend a combi - go for a conventional condensing boiler with a hot water tank.

Thanks for reply. We havent got the central heating or the showers installed yet but thats the idea. My friend told me about this website so I am looking at the best heating system I can have in my house for a sensible price.
    Because of the showers I would not recommend a combi - go for a conventional condensing boiler with a hot water tank.

The conventional is the one where you have a switch? turn it on like 30mins before you are about use the shower/hot water etc. Sorry if that was a dumb question, if I'm correct then am having second thoughts about not having showers and going for combi one instead.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Hi Del...combi boiler systems are "on demand" systems, and whilst it will give you immediate hot water and radiator heat, NOT both at the same time. A large house does not usually have a combi system. Poor people have combi systems.
    Go to the library and get a free report on boiler and heating systems (Which magazine )
  • keaskin
    keaskin Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    can anyone give rough prices of valliant and bosh combi condenser boilers needed for 3 bed house with 8 radiators and shower,also cheapest place to buy.thanks
    Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.
  • Ken68 wrote:
    Poor people have combi systems.
    Poor people have combi systems?....have a few bob do we?
  • sp00ky
    sp00ky Posts: 23 Forumite
    Hiya

I have just purchased an Alpha CD32c after much research on the subject. Now I have foud out from some relaible sources that Alpha's carry mainly Valiant parts, these also come witha standard 3 yr warranty and even longer on the stainless stell heat exchanger element.

I got mine from PTSplumbing at 30% discount with a free remote control helicoptor (what I child I am ).

Hope the info helps
  • To find some of the most competitive prices, enter the boiler & model number you want to buy into google - or any other search engine - & it will give you prices & companies. you may then want to take those to a local merchant to try and price match.

i say all that, but when we change our boiler in the new year, i'll go through the gas fitter as knowing my luck, i'd order the wrong parts, not enough of them, get something wrong etc and it would end up costing me more in terms of time & hassle.

Also, my mother had a combi boiler in a previous house when she lived alone - I certainly wouldn't consider her to be poor - but as a single person, a combi boiler worked just fine as there was never more than one demand for hot water at a time! Horses for courses - what suits one, won't suit everyone. In our house, with two young kids, I don't think a combi would be right, hence we're going for a system boiler, but that's just us...
  • Ken68 wrote:
    Poor people have combi systems.

That would be why a combi vaillant we had installed was one of the most expensive boilers you could buy !

Unless you have more than one bathroom a combi with decent output is fine. Its also great for a shower, and fixes the hot water temperature. The flow rate in our bungalow is actually better than we got from the previous hot tank we had installed !
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Yes, sorry, I was wrong to say poor people, when I really meant small properties.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure