What's your mortgage free dream?

Options

Comments

• sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,388 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm currently 34 and single, barring meeting a lovely man and having a life together I plan to be mortgage free by the time I'm 44, if not before, when that happens I'll go part-time, do some voluntary work for the BTCV, go on lots of holidays and generally chill out with friends and family and live a quiet life. Nothing very exciting but its what would make me happy.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Redbedhead
    Redbedhead Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    Options
    Once we pay off our mortgage (could be a while still as we are in need of a larger house, hence larger mortgage!) our plan is to have a holiday home abroad.

We would also like to do some more travelling.

I think H also has a plan for a fast car:rotfl:
    MFIT No. 81
  • Thefunkygibbons
    Options
    Once the children are set loose on the world, it would be nice to retire without worry

I am now mortgage free, but I do worry that the children will still be with us until they are 30
  • Mortgage free dream? I'm 26 and just about to start a 25 year 180k mortgage. My dream is to pay that off before I'm 50
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    when I was growing up, my dad couldn't work much because of bad health. However he did manage to run up lots of debt and extend the mortgage! My mum worked so hard to keep us going financially and emotionally, it's only now I'm a parent that i fully appreciate how tough it must have been for her.

I know my husband will never get us in debt like my dad did, but I know how quickly circumtances can change. all the while he's earning well I want to use it wisely. if I ever have to become the main bread winner I'd like to have as small a mortgage as possible...so that's my main motivation I guess.

Having said that, I like the idea of travelling when the children are older, or even maybe buying a second property to rent out (although after watching one of those tenants from hell programmes on TV it's put me off that idea a bit)
    weaving through the chaos...
  • Decadent_Fool
    Options
    Me? I'll hopefully have this pad paid off in just over 3 years, and then I'm selling up, getting another mortgage and building my own place, to then sell on completion.

After 3 or 4, I'll hopefully be able to build a good size place outright, and help my daughter through Uni :)
    Doing my best as a contrarian investor...property, banking...let's see how it goes ;)
  • rasputin87
    Options
    Mortgage free dream? - enough money to move abroad to a warmer country when I'm old (if global warming hasn't already turned the entire world into a furnace).
  • aris
    aris Posts: 339 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    IMHO there is no such thing as a mortgage free dream. Living expenses BESIDES the mortgage are just so high. Rising utility and council tax bills, petrol, insurance, food, house maintenance. As a family of 4 with 2 cars, we need 1000 pounds a month just to LIVE - and we don't smoke or drink (though we do eat well - which means good quality fresh food) and have few luxuries (cable TV & broadband internet). I don't see this changing in the future - even when my mortgage is paid off, i'll be working for the government and the utility companies.
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Options
    Knowing that it's ours and can never be taken away from us will do just nicely!

I'd like DH to be able to set up his own business without the worry of the mortgage too. We're well on target. Paid a large lump sum off recently and are overpaying by quite a bit every month with a good bit of penny pinching to help along the way.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • julesangles
    Options
    mine is a simple one of taking my family away and travels as much as possible, in england. i just want my family with me end of!
    At last I have a signature.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport