What to put in homemade christmas crackers

Comments

• We bought some WOW toys figures (2 in a pack) for 79p from home bargains. Suitable for younger kids. My MIL has bought a large table cracker and is filling it with nail varnish, lipstick etc.
  • Sarah715
    Sarah715 Posts: 127 Forumite
    Scratch cards are a great idea, as are small cosmetics! I also think sweets are a simple but good idea :) obviously funky keyrings and stuff too! As long as it's something simple and fun then you can't really go wrong!
  • Loving the scratch card idea!
  • stimpy27
    stimpy27 Posts: 244 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Depending how many adults you have can get 6-12 personalised wine charm for a couple of pounds on ebay x
  • I hope this link works.... Apologies if not!

I got this little moose from ikea for crackers. Very cute!

http://picturekit.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/img_6717.jpg

picture is from google, by the way... Not mine... Nor is the hair!
  • We do homemade Christmas crackers each year and everyone gets a scratchcard and then an item which is relevant to the person, have put in small hair bands, slides for my dd, small puzzles for adults, small handmade soaps, a few chocs. My daughters even insisted that our cat had a cracker last year and she had a Webbox cat treat inside hers :rotfl:

The scratch cards are great as everyone gets quite competitive to see if they have won anything.
    Officially debt free :j
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,034 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've always bought cheap crackers and then added nicer gifts to them, but I'm now fed up with being constrained by having to find such tiny things.

This year I will be putting a slip of paper inside each cracker with a number printed on it, and a pile of wrapped gifts in the centre of the table with the corresponding numbers sellotaped into them. :)
  • Jue_xx
    Jue_xx Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I have just finished my first home filled crackers, and although I really enjoyed doing them I found it really time consuming! It was much more difficult than I expected to find items that are small enough to fit, and I'm not sure I'll be able to come up with more new ideas for next year. Anyway, I'm pleased with the results and here's what I chose:

FIL: pair of christmas socks (had to reinforce the cracker with sellotape - very tight squeeze!)
    MIL: nail varnish
    mum: eye cream
    DH: had planned on a miniature bottle of Bacardi, his favourite tipple, but couldn't find anywhere that sells them, then I thought about a mini bottle of aftershave but couldn't find one of those either, so got him a set of golf tees, divot tool, ball markers and pencil (had to take them out of the plastic blister packaging to get them to fit)
    DS1: Manchester City keyring (his fave team)
    DS2: Pack of Lego miniature figures
    Me: Hair bun holder ring (been after one for ages, but not sure whether it will still be ring shaped by christmas, it may have taken on the shape of a sausage).

I also put in a christmas themed quiz question, joke (found some really good ones on the internet rather than the rubbish ones that came with the cracker set), and I pinched the scratch card idea from this thread!

I didn't use the paper hats that came with the set either, I have bought some reusable christmas hats instead a la the Royle Family christmas specials, which I will just place on the table. (although I will be wearing mine from 8am, I love it!) :D

Can't wait! :xmassmile
    Extra Payment Every Week Challenge:
    Week 1: £29.68
    Week 2: £14.95
    Week 3: £5.05
  • We're seeing a lot of traffic to this discussion so I'm bumping it up.

Does anyone have any fresh ideas?

:xmassmile :santa2:
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    We're seeing a lot of traffic to this discussion so I'm bumping it up.

Does anyone have any fresh ideas?

:xmassmile :santa2:

Nail polish, lotto ticket, key rings, chocolate coins, lip gloss.

I really am stuck this year for ideas for my husband, I always seem to get him a lottery ticket or a key ring. He's not into aftershave or stuff like that.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback