Holiday pay entitlement

Penn_Wooding
Penn_Wooding Posts: 52 Forumite
I employ several ladies who care for me at home. They each have their own hours and days that they come into me. I don't employ them full time, only a couple of hours in the morning and evening.

For the sake of brevity let's say somebody works a 9 until 5 job. Can I assume that this person would be entitled to 5 weeks on six days holiday? How about people who only work a couple of hours a day for anywhere between one and five days a week? I used a calculator on the government website and put in 10 hours a week for a year and it told me they were entitled to 56 hours of leave. Certainly not five weeks is it? I can only assume that it's because they only do a set number of hours a week.

. Now when it comes to the actual holiday I also believe that in order to qualify for the holiday pay the employee must take the holiday. In other words, they can't forego the holiday and take their normal wage plus the holiday pay on top of it?

Anyway, I'll appreciate some advice if possible.

Comments

• paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Employees are entitled to a minimum of 5.6 weeks paid holiday which can include the bank hols. A full time worker 5 days a week would be entitled to 28 days inc bank hols.
    If they are working various hours it's easier to calculate in hours rather than days, multiply their hours worked by 12.07% to calculate their entitlement.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Its 5.6 weeks. If working 10 hours a week its 10 times 5.6, which is 56. The same answer the online calculator gave you.

If the ladies are self employed you can pay them 12.07% extra as holiday pay then anytime they don't work you don't pay them because they have already had their holiday pay.

Whether they are self employed or employed by you does make a difference to a lot of things. IE, do you give them wage slips or do they invoice you?

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,840 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Xbigman wrote: »
    Its 5.6 weeks. If working 10 hours a week its 10 times 5.6, which is 56. The same answer the online calculator gave you.

If the ladies are self employed you can pay them 12.07% extra as holiday pay then anytime they don't work you don't pay them because they have already had their holiday pay.

Whether they are self employed or employed by you does make a difference to a lot of things. IE, do you give them wage slips or do they invoice you?

Darren

If they are truly self-employed, they aren't entitled to any paid leave, they should simply invoice you for their services (at an hourly rate if that is what is agreed).
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Ive put annual leave in before on days off but it is better to give folk time off as its easy to burn out without rest
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport